Mickey’s Mix Magic: a review

Skyegirl1999

DIS Veteran
Some notes from the first night of MMM:

We grabbed a spot on Main Street around 8:45 for the 9:30 show. We were in front of the Penny Arcade. Main Street was CONGESTED and they hadn’t put ropes up yet and didn’t have the bypass lanes open, so people were trying to maneuver strollers and wheelchairs down the sides of the street while people camped out on the brick in the middle. At this point, I was thinking, “yikes, this is a hot mess.”

I left my husband and daughter and hiked over to Small World to see the situation there. At 9, the mass of people was backed up past the pretzel cart. I liked the lasers on Main Street, so I don’t know if I’d like watching here.

The area behind the hub (between Jolly Holiday and Plaza Inn) was weirdly empty. It seems like it was too far back for “castle” viewers but not yet on Main Street, so people weren’t waiting there? Not sure if that will hold, but seemed like a promising spot for viewing if you don’t want to wait ages.

Anyway, by the time I returned to our spot on Main Street at 9:05, things were much more organized, with ropes and traffic control CMs. They had everyone stand up at 9:20.

The show was fun! We liked it. People were, literally, dancing and singing and cheering throughout it. The fireworks were more than I was expecting (Since they’re “optional,” I kind of assumed they’d be minimal. Didn’t feel that way.) I actually enjoyed it more than Together Forever, but I also didn’t have very high expectations going in. It is a very random mixture of songs (and the remixes are a little much at times), and really not that much Mickey, but the fun really carries through. It’s only about 11 minutes long - I wish there was another segment or two. The Aristocats are a fun touch, though, that’s not often a featured film! Overall, the reaction around us was very positive.

VhaVFjP.jpg

There is a LOT going on. It’s hard to know where to look!

0xAqpQ0.jpg

Next time, I’d stand back a little further - the Crystal Arts building was the “center” of the action, but it was just behind us. We meant to go out more, but we got caught in the traffic snarl and gave up.

One last thought: yesterday was not a super crowded day, and they had F! going, with projections on ROA. I do think this show may be a logistical nightmare on Main Street when that is down (and the castle is covered). WOC, come back soon!

Did they have both bypasses open for Main St last night? Do the monorail & train run during the show?
They didn’t yet just before 9, but I thought I saw the one by Jolly Holiday open as I was heading back to our spot just after 9.

After the show I couldn’t tell since we were already ON Main Street, so we couldn’t have used them anyway... but I sure hope they did!

They’re going to need them open and need more crowd control, and earlier, than what they had last night. I’m sure they’ll figure it out.

Was it bubbles or confetti coming out of the towers? I couldn't imagine they'd do confetti, but that's what it looked like in the video.

Thanks for the update. It looked fun from videos! But I totally agree World of Color needs to return ASAP! Thanks!

I hope I'll get to see it Monday
I'm curious how it comes off without the fireworks. I'm also wondering if they can still use the "fireworks" that are just the shooting white lights behind the castle, like a fan? Not sure if that makes sense, but I feel like they were so heavily featured, and they seem like they don't cause more noise than anything in Fantasmic! and wouldn't be affected by wind? So I was curious if they're part of the "non-firework" version.

Thanks for the review! I'm excited to check it out later this spring. My kids will be SO excited to hear there's an Aristocats segment too!

Did they have both bypasses open for Main St last night? Do the monorail & train run during the show?

I can confirm yes for Holly Jolly bypass

I was over by Holly Jolly. I really liked seeing Matterhorn from there. Could see down the street but it probably is more immersive being on Main Street itself. Didn't really camp out for a spot.

Echoing OP, I agree the show felt short. A couple more numbers would improve it IMO

Last edited:
I'm curious how it comes off without the fireworks. I'm also wondering if they can still use the "fireworks" that are just the shooting white lights behind the castle, like a fan? Not sure if that makes sense, but I feel like they were so heavily featured, and they seem like they don't cause more noise than anything in Fantasmic! and wouldn't be affected by wind? So I was curious if they're part of the "non-firework" version.
They don't use those when there are no fireworks. The "comets/comet fans" are considered fireworks. I believe that even on nights when fireworks are cancelled, that Fantasmic won't use them either. Now that there are scheduled nights without fireworks, when Fantasmic returns, I think they'll use them but the main parkwide shows probably won't.

I haven't seen the show live yet, but it doesn't seem that great. The only segments that looked enjoyable are Coco and maybe Haunted Mansion and Aristocats. It definitely needs to be longer, ESPECIALLY since the fireworks aren't going to play a big part. When this announced as just a projection show for a marquee nighttime show, I was expecting a long show. I was hoping for like a 20 minute show. I mean Remember... Dreams Come True was 17 minutes when it debuted and it had no projections. Projection shows that are the marquee show at least need to match that length or be longer. Plus, Mix Magic didn't seem to have any breaks. Every song just ran into the other. It needs breaks to rebuild the excitement going into the next segment. Without them, all the songs just feel like one long song.

Now, the stuff that was good was.... just kind of okay. Like I said, I think the Coco segment was the best part of the song. Obviously, the songs in Coco sound much better in full Spanish, so I'm really glad that they kept Un Poco Loco in full Spanish. Even then, though, I think it could still use more. I think they should have used the balloons from Together Forever during that segment. The lighting on them made it feel much more like a dance party, which is what Mix Magic is supposed to be. Also, I hate that Coco just rams straight into Frozen. It seems like such an insult because the Frozen segment was much longer than the Coco segment - as if Olaf's Frozen Adventure wasn't already a slap in the face to that movie. The second best thing(s) are Haunted Mansion and Aristocats. Haunted Mansion because the projections were reused from Tokyo's show, which is an awesome show. If you want to see a marquee projection show done right, go watch Tokyo Disneyland's 35th anniversary show. It's like a mix of Remember Dreams Come True and Happily Ever After - it's wonderful. Last was Aristocats. Not because it's underrepresented, but because I kind of liked the jazziness of it. Other than that, this is probably Disneyland's worst nighttime show. I never thought I would say anything could get lower than Fantasy in the Sky, but this one is just really really not good. I want to reserve judgement until I see it in person but... I probably won't like it then either.

Saw most of the show tonight. Tried to walk around to see different areas and crowd levels, so didn't get to focus on the whole show. Main Street was crowded, all the way back to Town Square. There was one way traffic in on the east side of the street, out on the west side. The sidewalks were crowded, and CMs were being strict about keeping guests from viewing on sidewalks or in shop doorways. The Hub area was crowded, too, all the way around to the castle area. The castle was being used for projections and lasers, so the tarps and walls weren't stopping the show. There was a lot of energy, and CMs and guests were dancing along to the music. Overall, based on just a first impression (and I would like to watch the whole show again with my full concentration), it wasn't my favorite show by a long shot, but I didn't hate it and did like the energy level and crowd involvement. I could see bringing guests to see this, but I'm not sure we'd go out of our way to watch it repeatedly just for ourselves.

We watched MMM on Friday from Rivers of America, in our same spots from the Blue Bayou Fantasmic! package. We then caught the show again on Saturday from the Town Square area (between City Hall and Great Moments) because we planned to leave the park right after. (The view from here was not great, which we knew, but were more concerned about being well-placed to leave right after.)

I thought it was okay - the songs are fun and so are the projections. People were definitely dancing, especially to the Coco segment! And the fireworks are good, but I didn't think they added much - I think it will be okay without the fireworks, too. However, I wish it were a longer show (it's only like 10 minutes). If each song was longer and there were short breaks between the songs to break it up, that would stretch the show and make it more enjoyable.

I wouldn't go out of my way to see it again, but would stop if on Main Street or near small world if I was already in the area, or stay in place after already watching Fantasmic.

We watched MMM on Friday from Rivers of America, in our same spots from the Blue Bayou Fantasmic! package. We then caught the show again on Saturday from the Town Square area (between City Hall and Great Moments)...
How would you describe and compare the view from ROA vs. Main Street? Disney says the views are different, which I take to mean "different" the way the TF! projections varied a bit depending on where you were viewing.

How would you describe and compare the view from ROA vs. Main Street? Disney says the views are different, which I take to mean "different" the way the TF! projections varied a bit depending on where you were viewing.

Although our view of the Main Street projections was not great, it really looked like similar images to what was projected on the water screens at Rivers of America. For example, the "Let It Go," section was lots of projected snowflakes and Elsa. The "Everybody Wants to Be a Cat" section was silhouettes of cats dancing in 60s mod color schemes. The images and animations themselves seemed very similar, but were on the buildings as opposed to the water screens.

That said, we didn't have a great view of the Main Street projections, so I could be wrong!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter