MiceChat is reporting there will be changes to DAS at Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to verify - you are talking about Disneyland, correct?

WDW has not changed anything at this point.

yes never been to wdw

autopia for example was a mess. They stuck everyone in a line in the middle of all the other lines (as in the little rows separated by metal bars) and then we all ended up at a closed gate in the middle of all the other lines but no one ever came to let us through for like 20 minutes until we finally waved someone down.

Autopia's line is always a mess! We like the ride but almost never ride it because of the way the line is. Every time the line looks reasonable it turns out they are only running one line of cars and it still takes forever in the sun.

Autopia's line is always a mess! We like the ride but almost never ride it because of the way the line is. Every time the line looks reasonable it turns out they are only running one line of cars and it still takes forever in the sun.

I couldn't agree more, especially if you can't handle stairs as you never know if the lift is working or not when you get a return time.

I have heard back from the lady that I wrote to at Disney, here is the information that I have gotten:

• Not everyone in your party has to have their ticket scanned when getting the DAS card.
  • When getting a return time, all members of the party that you are going to ride with must have their ticket scanned. If your party size has changed, this is accommodated when they give you the return time.
  • As long as a person with a DAS card has a valid return time for the same attraction as a person without a DAS card, the person without the DAS card can ride with them no matter if they were originally with that person or not. The practicality of this is it simplifies things if you are in a party where more than one person as a DAS card, but it also allows for if everyone in the party with a DAS card got sick and the person knows someone else with a DAS card. The return time for the person without the DAS card is not actually associated with any particular DAS card, they just can't get another return time until that one is used.
  • Disney will not answer anything related to privacy concerns, their only comment is that they cannot comment at this time.

Now I do have a question, I noticed the sticky said that you can get return times at the attraction or any kiosk. Does each attraction only give out return times for that attraction or can I go to Jungle Cruise and get a return time for say Pirates?

On a separate note, I have been told that starting sometime in January, Disneyland will be phasing out paper fastpasses and they will be tied to your ticket. This will apparently start with the Fantasmic! fastpasses and dinner package tickets, move to World of Color and then each attraction until they are all eliminated. I just thought people might like a heads up about that one as well.

I have heard back from the lady that I wrote to at Disney, here is the information that I have gotten:

• Not everyone in your party has to have their ticket scanned when getting the DAS card.
  • When getting a return time, all members of the party that you are going to ride with must have their ticket scanned. If your party size has changed, this is accommodated when they give you the return time.
  • As long as a person with a DAS card has a valid return time for the same attraction as a person without a DAS card, the person without the DAS card can ride with them no matter if they were originally with that person or not. The practicality of this is it simplifies things if you are in a party where more than one person as a DAS card, but it also allows for if everyone in the party with a DAS card got sick and the person knows someone else with a DAS card. The return time for the person without the DAS card is not actually associated with any particular DAS card, they just can't get another return time until that one is used.
  • Disney will not answer anything related to privacy concerns, their only comment is that they cannot comment at this time.

Bolded above a shame. It certainly opens it back up to the kind of abuse that Disney said they were trying to stop by doing away with the cards and going to the ticket-based DAS.

Bolded above a shame. It certainly opens it back up to the kind of abuse that Disney said they were trying to stop by doing away with the cards and going to the ticket-based DAS.

I'm withholding judgment until it's confirmed elsewhere.

Not trying to be rude to the poster, but there always seems to be a lot of "this person said that" with people getting it misunderstood. I highly doubt they'd allow someone to ride without the DAS card holder present. That wouldn't make any sense. The DAS is for one person - I can't see them making it beneficial for the non DAS holder.

How? The other person can not get more than one return time at a time, they are still waiting. Why should it matter which DAS card holder they are with, so long as they have a valid return time for the same attraction? They can still only ride once on that return time and they have still waited the same length of time.

If I am understanding this correctly, there would not be any abuse involved. It sounds like the non DAS person would just be able to switch partners, so to speak. I don't see any problem with that. :confused3

I'm withholding judgment until it's confirmed elsewhere.

Not trying to be rude to the poster, but there always seems to be a lot of "this person said that" with people getting it misunderstood. I highly doubt they'd allow someone to ride without the DAS card holder present. That wouldn't make any sense. The DAS is for one person - I can't see them making it beneficial for the non DAS holder.

You are absolutely right, they must ride with a DAS card holder that has a valid return time.

What I am saying is their return time is not tied to a particular DAS card holder.

So let's use a real world example:
Jan (has a DAS)
Jen (doesn't have a DAS)
Eva (doesn't have a DAS)
and Chris (has a DAS)

All get their tickets scanned for a return time for Indiana Jones and at the same time, Margo (has a DAS) who does know these people, but doesn't know that these people are in the park and happens to get a return time for Indiana Jones as well. Let's say that all return times are set for 3:00 PM for this example.

Now Jan and Chris both end up not being able to ride due to their issues. Jen & Eva (who do legitimately know Margo, just didn't know she would be at the park that day and yes, at Disneyland this happens a lot) can still ride with Margo (who has a DAS) as long, as their return times are all valid and it is after 3:00 PM. It should be noted that if one person had a return time of 3:15 PM, all could wait until 3:15 PM to ride.

Also, if just Chris was unable to ride, the others could ride with Jan.

But again, neither Eva or Jen could ride without Jan, Chris or Margo. Also, if Margo did not have a return time for Indiana Jones, they would not be able to ride with her either.

As the PP stated, this simply gives the non-das card holders some flexibility as to how to use their return time, but they absolutely cannot use the return time without a DAS card holder whoe also has the return time.

As for where this information comes from, it is from the people in charge of setting the system up.

The more common abuse we're seeing is the "lost" DAS. One party was recently caught with six of them issued to the same person. They apparently "lose" them a lot. (Yes, it was an AP)

At WDW in November, I really did lose my DAS card (it was hidden amongst my things when we moved to our second hotel and I could not find it despite pulling things apart searching; I eventually did find it, when we were home and I unpacked everything). I was very happy that guest relations at Epcot was able to issue me a replacement without any difficulty.

-SW

You are absolutely right, they must ride with a DAS card holder that has a valid return time. What I am saying is their return time is not tied to a particular DAS card holder. So let's use a real world example: Jan (has a DAS) Jen (doesn't have a DAS) Eva (doesn't have a DAS) and Chris (has a DAS) All get their tickets scanned for a return time for Indiana Jones and at the same time, Margo (has a DAS) who does know these people, but doesn't know that these people are in the park and happens to get a return time for Indiana Jones as well. Let's say that all return times are set for 3:00 PM for this example. Now Jan and Chris both end up not being able to ride due to their issues. Jen & Eva (who do legitimately know Margo, just didn't know she would be at the park that day and yes, at Disneyland this happens a lot) can still ride with Margo (who has a DAS) as long, as their return times are all valid and it is after 3:00 PM. It should be noted that if one person had a return time of 3:15 PM, all could wait until 3:15 PM to ride. Also, if just Chris was unable to ride, the others could ride with Jan. But again, neither Eva or Jen could ride without Jan, Chris or Margo. Also, if Margo did not have a return time for Indiana Jones, they would not be able to ride with her either. As the PP stated, this simply gives the non-das card holders some flexibility as to how to use their return time, but they absolutely cannot use the return time without a DAS card holder whoe also has the return time. As for where this information comes from, it is from the people in charge of setting the system up.

Ok. I misunderstood then.

That makes sense since the WDW doesn't have the non holders tied to it, just a number of people.

At WDW in November, I really did lose my DAS card (it was hidden amongst my things when we moved to our second hotel and I could not find it despite pulling things apart searching; I eventually did find it, when we were home and I unpacked everything). I was very happy that guest relations at Epcot was able to issue me a replacement without any difficulty. -SW

It obviously happens legitimately, but they're just saying it's one of the things that was being abused.

At WDW in November, I really did lose my DAS card (it was hidden amongst my things when we moved to our second hotel and I could not find it despite pulling things apart searching; I eventually did find it, when we were home and I unpacked everything). I was very happy that guest relations at Epcot was able to issue me a replacement without any difficulty.

-SW

Actually loosing it Is one thing, but the people who have multiple for the same person (aside from one from Disney World and one from Disneyland, as it can happen if you go to both) should be banned from all of the parks.

Maybe someone can help me understand.....

I get it that changes needed to be made, but they really seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. My DAS card had expired so I went up to City Hall to get a new one. The CM told me about how there has been changes and I had to explain my ailments. One, I have mobility issues, which I was told that the DAS no longer applies to. (I can walk just fine, but have issues with the constant start and stop that happens while standing in line.) I asked what were my options, the CM looked me straight in the face and said "Get a wheelchair". I was a bit taken aback by the bluntness and before I knew it, she said "Next guest". As I stated before, I understand that changes had to be made, but the DAS really made life easier. I could go sit down and not have to worry about the crowded lines. I've had the old GAS and went to the DAS and now I have nothing.

The next day I overheard a guest saying they were denied over anxiety issues of standing in line. Disney is being very strict about this.

So what exactly does DAS cover now??

I get it that changes needed to be made, but they really seem to have gone from one extreme to the other. My DAS card had expired so I went up to City Hall to get a new one. The CM told me about how there has been changes and I had to explain my ailments. One, I have mobility issues, which I was told that the DAS no longer applies to. (I can walk just fine, but have issues with the constant start and stop that happens while standing in line.) I asked what were my options, the CM looked me straight in the face and said "Get a wheelchair". I was a bit taken aback by the bluntness and before I knew it, she said "Next guest". As I stated before, I understand that changes had to be made, but the DAS really made life easier. I could go sit down and not have to worry about the crowded lines. I've had the old GAS and went to the DAS and now I have nothing.

The next day I overheard a guest saying they were denied over anxiety issues of standing in line. Disney is being very strict about this.

Yours is strictly mobility, so that's why they said a wheelchair. Basically it covers non mobility issues.

It sounds like the person you were talking get to didn't know how to explain their issues well enough.

Hey so question. I'm an out of towner who comes to DL when she can. And meets up at friends in the parks when she has time. But usually what happens is were not together when I get my DAS. So has anyone actually had the experience of pulling a time and then having the rest of the party join later and being able to ride with the time even though their tickets weren't scanned at the first time? Just curious.

Hey so question. I'm an out of towner who comes to DL when she can. And meets up at friends in the parks when she has time. But usually what happens is were not together when I get my DAS. So has anyone actually had the experience of pulling a time and then having the rest of the party join later and being able to ride with the time even though their tickets weren't scanned at the first time? Just curious.

They will have to be scanned when you get your return time for them to be able to ride with you, but they do not need to be scanned when you first get your DAS. But you may have to get the first return time after they join you at a kiosk and not at the attraction.

They will have to be scanned when you get your return time for them to be able to ride with you, but they do not need to be scanned when you first get your DAS. But you may have to get the first return time after they join you at a kiosk and not at the attraction.

All right thanks!

I'm so sorry you encountered rudeness. There's no excuse for that, regardless of the need(s) or question. If you were visiting last October/November 2013, that was right around the change-over and there were reports of CMs who didn't quite understand the new program. That should be resolved now, at least for the most part.

Mobility issues are not accommodated by the DAS. It is recommended that guests with mobility or stamina concerns utilize a mobility device -- a wheelchair, ECV, walker, rollator, cane, etc. The reason being that is the only way to guarantee you will have a seat when you need to sit. There seem to be fewer and fewer benches available throughout the park, and none in queues. With a wheelchair or rollator, you can push when you want to walk and sit when you need to rest. Most lines are mainstreamed, though this thread is about the California parks and DLR still has several with alternative wheelchair entrances.

The DL & DCA - Disability Access Service Card sticky thread near the top of this forum explains the DAS. A guest will have to explain their needs as related to waiting in a standard queue environment, not a diagnosis. If the guest (you mentioned someone with anxiety) unable to explain needs, it is possible a CM denied issuing a DAS.

Enjoy your vacation!

Ok I have not read through this entire thread but I can tell you from my experience that many times the CM never looked at the picture on the card to verify if the DAS holder was riding. On the last day I did lose my card and had to high tail it back to get a new one. This upset my DD and DH but what could I do, we needed a new card and town hall is the only place to get it. We had to maneuver around a parade and thousands of people. I WISH they would electronically pair it to the magic band!!! Would have saved me on my last day nightmare. When I got the new card I told the guy we had a 2:00 return time for the mine train so he did electronically attach that to my magic band but it took him some time to do that. If they can figure out how to do this quicker it would eliminate the need for the paper card. Seriously, in this day and age to have a paper card is crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter