MiceChat is reporting there will be changes to DAS at Disneyland

Status
Not open for further replies.

SueM in MN

combining the teacups with a roller coaster
I can't verify the truthfulness of this, but MiceChat is reporting changes to DAS For Disneyland.

Because of abuse including
- getting multiple cards to get multiple DAS return Times
- guests writing in their own a Return Times (forging)
- guests stealng the stamped that Disney started using to prevent forging

Micechat reports that Disneyland will begin electronically attaching DAS to the DAS holder's ticket or annual pass. In addition, the annual passes or tickets of those authorized yo accompany the DAS holder will also be linked electronically to the DAS.

http://micechat.com/85860-miceage-update-bridge-to-nowhere/

I can't verify the truthfulness of this, but MiceChat is reporting changes to DAS For Disneyland.

Because of abuse including
- getting multiple cards to get multiple DAS return Times
- guests writing in their own a Return Times (forging)
- guests stealng the stamped that Disney started using to prevent forging

Micechat reports that Disneyland will begin electronically attaching DAS to the DAS holder's ticket or annual pass. In addition, the annual passes or tickets of those authorized yo accompany the DAS holder will also be linked electronically to the DAS.

http://micechat.com/85860-miceage-update-bridge-to-nowhere/

Huh, sounds like it might be a smoother process once the initial DAS has been linked. It might also remove the human error that sometimes occurred when CMs either calculated the wrong return time or wrote it down incorrectly.

We'll be there in early February so I can report back here after that and give a first hand experience.

It actually sounds similar to the system they're using for the Anna and Elsa return times.

I like it I have an annual it would be better for me if it was on my magic band. I think they should go back to having photos on annuals

I'm trying to figure out how is works. It sounds like you'll need all the tickets present at the kiosk to attach them to one DAS? Or maybe annual passes can all be attached once every 60 days, and just day guests need to do it once at GR? How will the guest be able to check the return time if California doesn't use MDE?

I feel like going electronic is definitely the way to go, but I anticipate many people complaining that somehow the system didn't subtract the 10 minutes and berating the line CM to get in, etc. Really, the process stays the same so there shouldn't be too much issue.

Also side note - the fact that there's so much abuse they have to do this is pretty sad and despicable. Stealing the stamps? It's a freaking theme park people!

The first time my DD and I were in Disneyland was in January 2014. The DAS card just had the initials of the CM at the kiosk. I think this would be easy to forge and get out of hand. This last trip, October 2014, they used the stamps. I thought this would solve the problem, but, apparently it hasn't. I can't fathom someone stealing the stamps. No wonder they were attached to the CM's wrist.

I am happy that Disney is working out ways to thwart the abuse. The DAS works perfectly for my DD. We have learned how to utilize it and FPs. I don't like when things get abused because it makes things difficult and it reflects poorly on the disabled population in general. JMHO

As soon as I joined the Dis, and started researching the whole DAS thing (which I knew nothing about prior to this), I was worried about this happening again. Unfortunately, without being able to require proof, which I know they can't do, there is really no way to effectively end the abuse. All the cheaters had to do was monitor the system for awhile, see how it works and how to get the DAS, and the rest wouldn't be too hard. And with all the uproar over FP+, some unscrupulous people will exploit any perceived advantage. I personally think that is disgusting, and I hope Disney can find a good solution, I just have no idea what that solution might be. :worried:

DLR doesn't have MDE or FP+. DLR also has a greater percentage of AP holders. As a result, DLR has several issues that are unique to that resort.

An AP holder can get a DAS card valid for 60 days. Say the next time they go to Disneyland they "forget" their DAS card. They obtain another DAS card valid for 60 days. Say it is a family or a group of friends who have several individuals with DAS cards, each obtained separately so to avoid the chance that they would be split up between the DAS cards. It would be possible for a family or group of friends to have multiple DAS return times at the same time. I do think this is possible with regular park tickets as well. A family or group of friends on vacation could obtain several DAS cards. Okay, flame away.

By going to this system of having DAS card electronically attached to your park ticket or AP, there is no chance of "forgetting" or "losing" your DAS card. It also means that families or a group of people with several members with disabilities will be split among the DAS cards.

Abuse of the system makes it difficult for everyone. It makes the FP lines, and the exits, bogged down and makes everyone wait longer.

The issue for us going this way will be the lack of a visual return time. Also it will increase the chances of losing our park tickets as we will have to continually have them out and accessible. Not big problems and we will figure out a way to make it work.

No flames here, I agree with you. I was just anticipating the same thing being implemented at wdw, and also other ways abuse can be accomplished. I'm sure there are going to be lots of kinks to work out, and people who truly need the DAS are going to be further inconvenienced thanks to all the abuse. Just a sucky situation.

I hope this comes to WDW. It would be nice to handle the DAS electronically rather than deal with it in paper form. Just my 2 cents. Might as well use our magic bands for everything.

The changes sound very reasonable, and linking electronically is definitely the way to go; hopefully, they'll soon do the same with the DAS and MBs.

It's a shame though that they have to take these steps in order curb abuse of the DAS. Just another sign of the "the rules don't apply to me" mentality.

I wonder what happens with families/groups that legitimately have two people who need a DAS? I get that they can split the party between the two DAS (as they do now), but with everyone tied to a specific card, that means that they'd have to split up the same way throughout the entire trip (i.e. they'd have to split up in the exact manner that they are split up between the cards).

I wonder what happens with families/groups that legitimately have two people who need a DAS? I get that they can split the party between the two DAS (as they do now), but with everyone tied to a specific card, that means that they'd have to split up the same way throughout the entire trip (i.e. they'd have to split up in the exact manner that they are split up between the cards).

If it is like Anna and Elsa, they only scan tickets to hand out the return time, they don't match tickets to people. I would hope that they only scan tickets when a return time is issued, and not actually tie the specific members of a party to a DAS when the DAS is issued. That way, if a family of 4 walks up and asks for a return time, all of their tickets will get scanned. If they then walk to another kiosk 3 minutes later and present another DAS, the answer would be, "I'm sorry, you just got a return time on your other DAS."

If it is like Anna and Elsa, they only scan tickets to hand out the return time, they don't match tickets to people. I would hope that they only scan tickets when a return time is issued, and not actually tie the specific members of a party to a DAS when the DAS is issued. That way, if a family of 4 walks up and asks for a return time, all of their tickets will get scanned. If they then walk to another kiosk 3 minutes later and present another DAS, the answer would be, "I'm sorry, you just got a return time on your other DAS."

I was basing my comment on this from the article that the OP linked (bolding is mine):

The goal here is to eliminate the widespread DAS fraud and abuse that has increased dramatically at the Anaheim parks. The DAS system at WDW is seeing smaller levels of abuse and fraud, but the problems are rampant and at their most blatant in Anaheim. The new electronic version will force all DAS holders to declare in advance the exact people who are in their party, and then all of those people will have their ticket or AP electronically linked by Guest Relations to the person who has the DAS privileges. Each park ticket or AP will only be allowed to be linked to one DAS ticket holder at a time, thus eliminating the growing practice of families or groups of friends collecting multiple DAS cards and then rounding up multiple ride entries at a time for the entire group.

I actually think this is what they'll end up doing based on the article.

I do think it's a bit inconvenient, which sucks for people who don't abuse the system... But it's going to keep happening until people stop thinking that they are entitled to break the rules because they don't think they're fair.

This could cause a problem. For example, you have a group/family of 4 people, 2 of them have a DAS card. You split the party with 2 on each card. You go to the kiosk and want to ride TSM with the DAS holder and another ticket holder. As long as it is the ticket holder attached on that DAS card, you are okay. But say, Dad is attached to DS's DAS card and Mom is attached to DD's DAS card. However, Dad wants to ride with DD. That is where splitting them could cause issues.

Unless it is like the PP stated in that you go to the kiosk and get the return times for those who are actually wanting to ride the ride with the DAS card holder.

Long day. I hope I made some sense. If not, just ignore me for trying to think "outloud"

I agree that they'll have to do something to accommodate families who have two members with legitimate needs.

Maybe you'll have to present a ticket for each person who wants to ride for the DAS when you make your return-time reservation. Those tickets will be linked to that DAS for the duration of that reservation, but will be unlinked after it. Then they can be linked to a different DAS/different configuration for the next reservation.

That would allow families some flexibility about who rides with whom. But it would prevent any individual person from having an active reservation on more than one DAS. (Which would prevent the whole family from riding something on Billy's DAS, while they also have a return time active on Sally's DAS.)

I'm just speculating. I don't have any knowledge of how it will work.

Just want to add in my two cents about being furious with those who are abusing the system! I have used the DAS at DLR and WDW and actually liked the system better at DLR because of the kiosks. The fact people have gone out of their way to cheat the system is frankly disgusting. Stealing stamps??? (Actually it reminds me of a girl I knew in college who worked at a print shop and had stamps made to match the ones our favorite watering hole used to indicate people had paid their cover. She thought I was a goody two shoes because I refused to cheat the place out of the $2, but that is a different can of worms :) )
The part that really gets me is I know it is not a lot of people doing it, but some of the people who do not need the DAS paint us all with the same brush as the cheaters. Ugh.
Rant over :goodvibes

DLR doesn't have MDE or FP+. DLR also has a greater percentage of AP holders. As a result, DLR has several issues that are unique to that resort.

An AP holder can get a DAS card valid for 60 days. Say the next time they go to Disneyland they "forget" their DAS card. They obtain another DAS card valid for on vacation could obtain several DAS cards. Okay, flame away.

The issue for us going this way will be the lack of a visual return time. Also it will increase the chances of losing our park tickets as we will have to continually have them out and accessible. Not big problems and we will figure out a way to make it work.

Could you make up some kind of special chart at home, and just bring it along with you? I'm thinking even a 3 x 5 card so you still have that visual cue with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter