Miami...where did you stay pre-cruise?

Kim&Chris

DIS Veteran
This will be the first time we've ever stayed in Miami, so I'm completely lost. Looking for recommendations, please. Would like to stay as close as possible to the Port Of Miami, then either shuttle or Uber/Lyft to the Magic in the morning.

Thanks!!!

We stayed at the Holiday Inn - Port of Miami which was close and we walked to the harbor for Starbucks in the morning. We had IHG points, so that's a big reason we stayed there. Plus we could see the ship from the window.

I know there are more nice places. Many of my FB group stayed at Comfort Inn by the airport because they had both airport and cruise port shuttles, I believe. Just my experience!

We just stayed at the Marriott Biscayne Bay last month, pre- and post-cruise EBTA. If you get a port view room, you'll wake up to a fantastic view of the ship embarkation morning! They have a plentiful breakfast buffet! And, if you're Marriott Gold or Platinum, you'll also have access to the lounge. An UberX cost us $9.73 and it took less than 10 minutes to reach the port. Have a great cruise!!

I booked the Epic for our next cruise. Cheaper than Marriott Biscayne Bay and situated just in front of it (Marriott Biscayne Bay). A 5-10 minutes cab ride from the port!

I personally love Miami Beach - but it's further from the port a bit.

If I'm in Miami, I'm all about the Hampton Inn & Suites Blue Lagoon. Super nice staff, clean, and within walking distance of restaurants, a couple of drug stores, a grocery store, and a Starbucks. AND they have a shuttle to the port for $10/person.

It’s not by the port it’s by the airport but I stayed at 2 different Hampton inns before a dcl cruise. Free transportation to the hotel and cheap transportation to the cruise port.

We cruised out of Miami in March. We stayed at the Comfort Suites Miami Airport North. It's close to the airport, but it's not that far away from the port.

They have free breakfast, a free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and a free shuttle from the hotel to the port. You sign up for the free shuttle to the port when you check in. There were three different times to choose from. Worked great. And we were actually one of the first people in line at the port because we were on the first shuttle they offered.

We didn't stay near the Port. But if you're interested, we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott near the MIA and took a private car service to the port.

We've stayed at a few places.

The first place we stayed was at the Sheraton Miami Airport. We had to take a hotel shuttle to get shopping done. Not convenient if you want to go get groceries. However, free shuttle from the airport. However, you did have to sign up for a shuttle to get to the port. Didn't take that long to get there.

The second place was the Courtyard Marriott Airport and took a taxi over to the port. Again, it didn't take that long to get there. It was in semi-walking distance to a grocery store, though not sure if that's still there or not. However, I would only do that walk in the daytime.

The third place we stayed was the JW Marriott Marquis. Now that was a super nice hotel. There's a Whole Foods and a Walgreens half a block away. It was really quick getting to the port. Quicker than the other places, but again it was maybe by like 15 to 20 mins. There was a Courtyard across the street from the JW Marriott Marquis, but it only cost 5,000 less points than the JW Marriott Marquis. I can't say how nice it was, but based on reviews of the rooms, the JW Marriott wins hands down.

Our criteria was really to find places where we could get to a grocery store within walking distance so we could bring food/water onboard. If I was paying cash, I'd stay further out near the airport (it wouldn't matter how nice it was). If I was using points, I'd stay at the JW Marriott Marquis.

Last edited:
We stayed at the JW Marriott Marquis in April. We really enjoyed it! Very convenient location and a short Uber to the port. Since we arrived late afternoon my kids were ok with a pool vs staying somewhere on the beach.
We’d definitely stay there again if cruising from Miami.

Our criteria was really to find places where we could get to a grocery store within walking distance so we could bring food/water onboard. If I was paying cash, I'd stay further out near the airport (it wouldn't matter how nice it was). If I was using points, I'd stay at the JW Marriott Marquis.

Just curious, what kind of food do you bring on board? This never really occurred to me!

Just curious, what kind of food do you bring on board? This never really occurred to me!

We usually buy a 24 pack of water. In addition, we buy wine to bring board, snacks, any gluten-free items (for my wife). The snacks can be, for example, chips, nuts, candy, etc.

Anyone ever rent a place to stay for a week in or around Miami -- pre or post cruise?

We've stayed at a few places.

The first place we stayed was at the Sheraton Miami Airport. We had to take a hotel shuttle to get shopping done. Not convenient if you want to go get groceries. However, free shuttle from the airport. However, you did have to sign up for a shuttle to get to the port. Didn't take that long to get there.

The second place was the Courtyard Marriott Airport and took a taxi over to the port. Again, it didn't take that long to get there. It was in semi-walking distance to a grocery store, though not sure if that's still there or not. However, I would only do that walk in the daytime.

The third place we stayed was the JW Marriott Marquis. Now that was a super nice hotel. There's a Whole Foods and a Walgreens half a block away. It was really quick getting to the port. Quicker than the other places, but again it was maybe by like 15 to 20 mins. There was a Courtyard across the street from the JW Marriott Marquis, but it only cost 5,000 less points than the JW Marriott Marquis. I can't say how nice it was, but based on reviews of the rooms, the JW Marriott wins hands down.

I am using points at the Marquis. Also has a concierge lounge so dinner and breakfast checked off. Is it walking distance to port. Looks like it but not sure.

We arrived 4 pm pre-cruise and stayed at airport Sheraton (found a great rate). Caught hotel shuttle from airport then private transportation the next morning. The hotel did provide a shuttle if we wanted to use it.

I am using points at the Marquis. Also has a concierge lounge so dinner and breakfast checked off. Is it walking distance to port. Looks like it but not sure.

Sorry. Forgot Miami and not NYC (the only Marquis I know of).

Nothing is walkable to the Miami Port.

We didn't walk, we took a taxi. However, it wasn't a long drive and was pretty cheap. I don't think it would be walkable, though, especially since you have to cross a bridge.

We stayed at the YVE hotel which has a special cruise package that includes a great breakfast and transportation. Had a wonderful room in this small boutique hotel overlooking the water. Just a few miles from the port and we could see our Disney ship from our room. Also it was across the street from Bayside marketplace. Lots of great shops and eating places on the water. Also a cvs across the street open 24 hours for last minute items. We loved the YVE and would go there again for trips out of port of Miami.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter