Metro Transportation

There's no real metro service from Anaheim to Universal, but there is bus service. Faster but more expensive is Amtrak train which then connects to the metro in Los Angeles.

There is coach bus express from Anaheim but only if you purchase a one-day full priced Universal ticket.

Car is easiest and most convenient, and Sat Sun are you best days for car travel through Los Angeles, the traffic is half as bad.

Perhaps the OP is referring to L.A.'s Metro Bus and Metro Rail system. www (dot) metro (dot) net

She could take bus Line 460 from Disneyland to the "7th Street/Metro Center," then take the Red Line subway (direction North Hollywood) to the "Universal City" station.

I believe a one day pass is $3.00. There could be an extra charge if Line 460 is a freeway express.

Woody

Yes, I mentioned that there is bus service. But it is a 2 1/2 hour ride if the traffic co-operates. 50 miles with kids on a city bus? no thank you!

Thank you for your replies. It sounds like I just need to brave the LA freeway driving. I was hoping for an easier, less stressful way to get to Universal Studios.

as long as you have a second pair of eyes with you to watch the freeway signs and point out the exits, you should be fine. Don't head back to Anaheim from universal until after 8pm and you'll avoid a lot of the traffic problems.

Op, I am going in April. I have heard that the metro system, to go from Disneyland / Universal, is safe. I am at a crossroads, whether, I will use the metro system, or go with the tour operator starline tours, myself. THe downside to the touring company is, they dont leave hollywood, till about 9, so I am assuming, we would not arrive until 10 a.m. Then, I would have to leave the parks at 7p.m, or at least that is what I was told yesterday. So, I would miss any nightime show, and obviously not be able to stay until near park closing. The downside, about the metro system, is all the steps it takes to get from point a-b. . As far as I know. I would take the red line, to union station, catch the amtrak, to fullerton, then get a cab, or take the bus. To disneyland. Now, if I decide to take the tour bus, I will be paying 107 dollars. For transport, and a ticket to either, disneyland, or california adventure. The tour company does not offer hopper passes to the parks. So, I would have to pick one, or the other. So, wanting to see both parks. I would have to buy 2 tour packages. Which would come out to 230 with tax. For 2 days roughly. But they also offer, just transportion, @ 45 a day. And I could then buy the hopper pass from disney, and use the tour for transport only.. With taxes, and fees. It would come to the same amount roughly. But, still would have to leave at 7p.m. Or I could use the metro system. Red line would be 3 per day.So for two days. Lets round that to 7. Amtrak. I round to 40 for 2 days, and then a taxi, i round to 40 for two days. Using the metro myself with the hopper ticket. Adds up to 222. Taking the metro system, would allow me to see the nightime shows, with the added bonus of staying in the parks a bit later. But I would have to be back at the fullerton station to catch the last amtrak train out at around 10. So, I need to make a choice. I hope I havent confused you. And I hope I have helped you. I will be all by myself taking the metro system, which does frighten me a bit. But, I am pretty resilent. So, I think I can do it!! In any case. Have a wonderful trip!!

My husband says. The cost of a rental, would not be wise, especially since. When it is added up with parking fees, gas, and other misc, like a gps system because I am not good with directions. The car, would come out to more than transportation, for the 2 days. Some swear it is cheaper. But, I have priced cars, and I dont see the benefit, for me. Plus, not having to drive in unfamiliar terrortories by myself. Priceless!!

The most important thing to remember is that transportation in Los Angeles is aimed squarely at commuters. There are only limited options available for tourists outside rush hours and/or going to non business centers.

That said - using the Red Line from Hollywood to Union Station and then Amtrak to Anahiem (it's a closer station to Disneyland and they always seem to have cabs waiting) is certainly within reason if you're careful. The Red Line itself is a commuter subway you might want to check it's operating times. It's probably a thirty minute trip from Hollywood and Highland to Union Station downtown. The system itself if very modern and efficent...it's just that a subway in L.A. seems so out of place.

Union Station itself is a huge place, be sure to read the exit signs from the Red Line. The main terminal itself has been restored to all its Art Deco glory and is used extensively for filming. It is right across from Olvera Street, the original settlement that became Los Angeles.

There are two trains that travel between Union Station and Anaheim. Amtrak's 'Pacific Surfliner' is very nice. All trains south from L.A. continue to downtown San Diego; some trains north make stops in Glendale, Burbank Airport, Van Nuys and continue all the way up north of Santa Barbara. These are full featured trains with coach and business classes and a snack car. The landscape between Union Station and Anaheim can best be described as "urban blight", but south of that it soon runs right along the coast and becomes one of the most beautiful train trips in the country (it's probably second only to the stretch north of Santa Barabara through Porter Ranch).

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conte...te_Page&c=am2Route&cid=1081256322013&ssid=132

There is a second commuter rail system called MetroLink that connects Union Station to many outlying parts of Southern California (Orange County, Riverside/Inland Empire, Ventura, and the Antalope Valley). These are strictly commuter services and run mostly during rush hours. There is limited evening and weekend services. The trains are busses on rails, there are no special services aboard. But they're fast and efficent.

http://www.metrolinktrains.com

In either case you can expect to spend a little more than an hour between L.A. and Anaheim. Please be sure which tickets you are buying - they are not interchangeable.

I strongly recommend against taking the public bus. The systems around here are very poor and it's a very long ride. Besides the tour bus, you might also want to check the some of the shuttle bus services - SuperShuttle, PrimeTime or others, to see if they offer services. The additional flexibility may be worth the extra price.

Of course the most fleixble option is to rent a car. The ride is usually not as bad as people describe it, but I can understand why many people are reluctant to try it.

AnotherVoice,

Thank you so much. You have been so helpful. I did not even know, that I could get a train on the amtrak into anaheim. Do you know, how far by taxi, it would be to disneyland? How much a taxi would cost? I am wondering, why all the things. I have read told me to take the amtrak into fullerton, and not into anaheim. Anyway, now since. I know this. I will take amtrak to anaheim, and then a taxi, to the parks. ALso, do you happen to know the website. To the redline, so I can look up thier schedule. Thank you so much. For your thorough help. I really appreciate it!!

The Red Line is run by the MTA which also runs the bus in Los Angeles. Their main webiste is at http://www.mta.net/default.asp .

The schedule for the Red Line trains (in a PDF format) is at http://www.mta.net/images/802.pdf .

There's a "virtual" ride on the Red Line, featuring the stations and the art at each stop at http://www.metrovr.net/metro/ .

I don't know why all the guide books continue to talk about the Fullerton Station since the Anaheim station has been in full service for about five years now. The Anahiem station was built as a commuter stop, it's in the parking lot of the city's baseball stadium, but is also used by Amtrak. I've found most Disney guide books most simply repeat information they've found from other guide books without bothering to check it out themselves.

The last time I tooks a cab from the Anaheim station to Disneyland was a couple years ago. I think the fare was about $15.00 with tip - but things may have changed drastically. It's only about a ten to fifteen mintue drive down Katella Blvd. to the park. There are two main taxi areas at Disneyland. The Dinseyland "proper" off Harbor Blvd. and is used by hotel shuttles. The other area in Downtown Disney between the monorail stop and the ESPN Zone.

Another way to get to Disneyland is on Anaheim's new trolley bus service, ART. I haven't tried it yet but the system runs throughout all of Anaheim to Disneyland. According to their website - http://www.rideart.org/index.html - it looks like Route N goes from the train station to the convention center to Disneyland. I've never tried this service so I can't vouch for it.

For an area the relies so much on tourism, they've made getting to Disneyland by anything except a car or limo an adventure. Please let me know if there's anything else I can add. And good luck!

I checked on the Universal Website and they offer free transportation from Anaheim to Universal when you buy a ticket (you have to do it through that offer). I'm hoping to use this service when I go in a few weeks.

I thought that the free transportation was not to start until a later date. If this is true. I will be so very happy!!

Anothervoice, thank you so very much for your post!! I just saw it tonight. You are the best!! Again, thank you!:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter