Metal detectors with hip replacement

Ponderer

Mouseketeer
So my wife and I are set for a decently long visit to WDW in October. My wife has had hip replacements for almost 20 years, and she's constantly being flagged at airport metal detectors, at the very least wanded and pat down. Does anyone have any information or experiences they can share on what she can expect with the metal detectors at WDW? I want her to have a lovely time with the least hassle possible.

Well the detectors at WDW seem to be set way more sensitive than the TSA. As an example, I went through scanners at airport on my way to la last Friday with a cat in arms. Cat had a harness and leash with metal fittings. No alarm. I went through WDW scanner last November I think and had a zipper pull set it off. The zipper itself was plastic, just the pull set it off. I've set the WDW scanners off with a pair of nickles left in my pocket by mistake.

So... Be prepared to be wanded at every entry. Possible they just wave you through. I don't know how much metal is in a new hip. If it's like a knee and the bearing surfaces are steel then the scanner will alert hard. But if it's just screws in there to set it off then maybe you'll get put through without much hassle.

Ha! See, I'd say the opposite of Cobright. I never had an issue at Disney, but I definitely set it off the first time I went through at the airport with my hip replacement. Now I just don't chance it at the airport. One "enhanced patdown" is enough for me. lol I mean, in all reality, the patdown wasn't that bad, but I'd still prefer to avoid it.

My husband had a hip replacement two years. We had no issues at WDW; we last went Dec. 2017.

Implants are different and especially those from 20 years. It's hard to really say for sure.

Maybe, call Disney and see if you get better info that way.

My husband has hip replacements in both hips. Always gets winded st the airports. Rarely at Disney but it has happened. Seems to depend on the security guards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!