Merrell or Teva or Other Sandals

... I like my toes covered in the parks. There are a lot of ways bad things can happen to your toes in a crowded park!!...

This is why we choose Keen! The bumper toes bring peace of mind in a crowded park filled with strollers, ECVs, carts, distracted guests, etc. Just a tip for the OP: sizing in Keen shoes can be a little different from your normal shoe size. If your toes are square, then you probably will take your normal size. The medium width has plenty of room. If your toes are longer, go up by at least half a size. If you are ordering from zappos or someplace that lets you return for no charge, order two or more sizes to find which one fits best, then return the others. Once you know your size in Keen, that should be the magic number for you.

I have one pair of Teva that I LOVE and because the fit was so great, I bought a different style thinking it would be the same.
It was very different and unwearable for me.

Same with Merrel ... I have had pairs that I love and other styles that I despise.

I wear Birkenstocks a lot, but understand that they are not for everyone and take much longer to really and truly break in than most shoes.
Currently I have a yoga mat Sanuk that I am enjoying, but not sure if it would hold up for Disney walking.

Whatever route you go, please allow enough time to try the sandals out and break them in.
The styles are all very different ... even within the same brand.

Good luck!

Sanuks are really good "injury" flip flops. I have the wrap style. Not supportive but basically I have them for when it is literally too painful to wear something more restrictive (sneakers) or harder (birk gizeh or any flip flop with a plastic or leather thong. So I always pack them for Disney as a way to give my feet a break.

I have teva tirras and it's the only style that has worked for me. But for that matter, the birkenstocks that work for me are the gizeh synthetic uppers with the hard (original?) sole. I can't wear the double strap or heel strap birks. The all leather is too painful to break in. But I've got like 6 pairs of gizehs that I would live in if it didn't rain so much in Seattle!!

It seems like you've got some good responses already but I usually wear saltwater sandals to the parks/all summer! Once you break them in I find them to be the most comfortable and you don't have to worry about them getting wet :)

I miss my saltwaters. You're right, they're amazing. But like keens, pretty painful if you need arch support.

Thanks so much for the great replies. Really helpful.

I'm going to try and take an afternoon off this week and check again at the mall. If nothing then I plan on ordering from Amazon. Teva sounds like they are quite comfortable so it's between the Tirra and Verra. Does Tirra have more support? I'm wondering though if Verra will work better for my small toe as it is more open.

P.S. - I'm in Canada and I've seen Merrell sandals in the store (but they didn't have my size) but for Teva I can only order it online.

Sanuks are really good "injury" flip flops. I have the wrap style. Not supportive but basically I have them for when it is literally too painful to wear something more restrictive (sneakers) or harder (birk gizeh or any flip flop with a plastic or leather thong. So I always pack them for Disney as a way to give my feet a break.

I have teva tirras and it's the only style that has worked for me. But for that matter, the birkenstocks that work for me are the gizeh synthetic uppers with the hard (original?) sole. I can't wear the double strap or heel strap birks. The all leather is too painful to break in. But I've got like 6 pairs of gizehs that I would live in if it didn't rain so much in Seattle!!

ohh ... going to google "gizeh" - I am a Birk girl for life! :hippie:

thnx for the notes on the Sanuks! I'll bring them along ... at least they don't take up much space in the luggage!

ETA: oh THOSE are gizeh! :) cute, but the toe post would be a problem for me. Isn't it great that there are so many different styles for all of our varied preferences?!

I wear Birkenstock Gizas as well. They do take time to break in but once broken in they are the most comfortable ever!

I wear Birkenstock Gizas as well. They do take time to break in but once broken in they are the most comfortable ever!

The footbed feels so hard in Birkenstocks. But maybe it's cause as you say....and keep hearing...that you need to break them in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter