Merrell or Teva or Other Sandals

Frozen2014

DIS Veteran
I know it's different for everyone since we're all built differently but I'm trying to find a pair of sandals for our upcoming trip. Spent awhile at the mall today and came home with nothing (mostly they didn't have sandals in my size or the ones that did fit are not all day walking shoes such as a Romika pair) . Thus I'm looking at ordering from amazon.

The Merrell Lattice and Merrell Strap looks good but not sure how the footbed will hold up if it gets wet in rides. There's a Teva Tirra that looks good too.

For me, I'm looking one with a back strap as I don't want them falling off, and open at the toes as my toes often pinch on the sides. Also want all day support but it's hard to tell what is good. Guess I"m used to my Go Walks that are pretty soft on the bottom.

What works for others? Anything good or bad with Merrell or Teva for when on your feet all day?

I wear Keens or Old Navy flip flops. I know it sounds crazy but my feet never hurt when I wear those $1 flops from Old Navy.

I don't like Merrels sole. I haven't found a pair that has worn well and fits my feet.

I used to wear keens but now I need more arch support and they are awful.

I wear tevas- don't care much for straps but they work for what you are describing.

If there is an rei or another outdoors outfitter. in your area, I'd go look at sports sandals there.

If you can wear flip flops, I wear Chaco flip flops at wdw. Same footbed as chacos, but without the restrictive straps.

I wear teva sandals all day when at Disneyland. I feel like they really support my foot and I have never had problems with running. But I suggest breaking them in before your trip. Although I can usually wear them right out of the box without any trouble. I wear the teva sandals that you mentioned.

Keen Newport work well for us. For extra arch support, we have elastic bands that we got at the chiropractor. They are easy to remove for water rides.

I love the Reef brand! I really like their cushion moon sandals.. they are wrap around and stylish :) Plus they are super comfy just like all of the other reef flip flops/sandals I have owned.

I wear teva sandals all day when at Disneyland. I feel like they really support my foot and I have never had problems with running. But I suggest breaking them in before your trip. Although I can usually wear them right out of the box without any trouble. I wear the teva sandals that you mentioned.

Yes exactly. That's why I'm looking now for our trip last week in August.

Two votes so far for Teva. So you have the Tirra style?? There are so many different ones. I've added the Tirra and Verra styles to my amazon wish list. My left small toe has issues in shoes so the Verra may work better for me. However, the Verra is a lot cheaper so that makes me think it's not as good of a sandal in terms of support, etc.

I've heard good things about Keen. They're like a mix of a sandal for air and support of a running shoe. I'm looking for open toes for an alternative shoe if my toes start bothering me in my Go Walks.

Two votes so far for Teva. So you have the Tirra style?? There are so many different ones. I've added the Tirra and Verra styles to my amazon wish list. My left small toe has issues in shoes so the Verra may work better for me. However, the Verra is a lot cheaper so that makes me think it's not as good of a sandal in terms of support, etc.

Yes I have been wearing the Tirra for several years. They are my go to sandal for Disney parks. No rubbing!

I have one pair of Teva that I LOVE and because the fit was so great, I bought a different style thinking it would be the same.
It was very different and unwearable for me.

Same with Merrel ... I have had pairs that I love and other styles that I despise.

I wear Birkenstocks a lot, but understand that they are not for everyone and take much longer to really and truly break in than most shoes.
Currently I have a yoga mat Sanuk that I am enjoying, but not sure if it would hold up for Disney walking.

Whatever route you go, please allow enough time to try the sandals out and break them in.
The styles are all very different ... even within the same brand.

Good luck!

I know it's different for everyone since we're all built differently but I'm trying to find a pair of sandals for our upcoming trip. Spent awhile at the mall today and came home with nothing (mostly they didn't have sandals in my size or the ones that did fit are not all day walking shoes such as a Romika pair) . Thus I'm looking at ordering from amazon.

The Merrell Lattice and Merrell Strap looks good but not sure how the footbed will hold up if it gets wet in rides. There's a Teva Tirra that looks good too.

For me, I'm looking one with a back strap as I don't want them falling off, and open at the toes as my toes often pinch on the sides. Also want all day support but it's hard to tell what is good. Guess I"m used to my Go Walks that are pretty soft on the bottom.

What works for others? Anything good or bad with Merrell or Teva for when on your feet all day?
I wear Tevas.

I have one pair of Teva that I LOVE and because the fit was so great, I bought a different style thinking it would be the same.
It was very different and unwearable for me.

Same with Merrel ... I have had pairs that I love and other styles that I despise.

I wear Birkenstocks a lot, but understand that they are not for everyone and take much longer to really and truly break in than most shoes.
Currently I have a yoga mat Sanuk that I am enjoying, but not sure if it would hold up for Disney walking.

Whatever route you go, please allow enough time to try the sandals out and break them in.
The styles are all very different ... even within the same brand.

Good luck!

Interesting but yet not surprising. Just curious which Teva/Merrel worked and which didn't work?

I did try on Birkenstocks, but I prefer one with a back strap so the shoes don't fall off easily. The store did have one pair with a strap but the shoes were too big (i.e. didn't have my size). Also, even though they say they are very good shoes, they feel funny to me...almost hard and perhaps the arch support isn't right shape for my foot.

I had Teva Tirra's, but I didn't love the strap in front of my ankle, and the arch wasn't quite right for my foot. I gave them to my daughter. I love Keen Whispers. They have enough support for me and I like my toes covered in the parks. There are a lot of ways bad things can happen to your toes in a crowded park!!

I also like the Keen Rose, but I haven't tried those in the parks yet.

Interesting but yet not surprising. Just curious which Teva/Merrel worked and which didn't work?

I did try on Birkenstocks, but I prefer one with a back strap so the shoes don't fall off easily. The store did have one pair with a strap but the shoes were too big (i.e. didn't have my size). Also, even though they say they are very good shoes, they feel funny to me...almost hard and perhaps the arch support isn't right shape for my foot.

The Teva that I LOVE is the Tirra Slide ... I got a pair of originals but those are awful because the part that goes between the toe is VERY uncomfortable for me and I didn't expect that.

The Merrels were a while back and I dont think they make them anymore ... have a "dressy" sandal from them (possibly leather?) that has worked beautifully.

The Birks have a sole that is made of cork and yes it is very hard at first and may feel akward. But over time, becuase it is cork and very malleable, it forms exactly to your foot shape and becomes SO comfy. But it does take time .. couple months of regular wear for me before I got them where I love them. I had a pair for almost 30 years that were AMAZING but the soles finally wore out and cobbler said they were beyond repair. New pair is shaping up nicely, though! :goodvibes

I've been using the same pair of Teva's for years now and hardly any complaints. They are older now so do cause blisters and I really should get another pair but that is after days of use. I can still get a good 2-3 days of a trip out of them before they rub. I love the arch support they have and my foot still feels supported and secure with the strap style I have.

The Teva that I LOVE is the Tirra Slide ... I got a pair of originals but those are awful because the part that goes between the toe is VERY uncomfortable for me and I didn't expect that.

The Merrels were a while back and I dont think they make them anymore ... have a "dressy" sandal from them (possibly leather?) that has worked beautifully.

The Birks have a sole that is made of cork and yes it is very hard at first and may feel akward. But over time, becuase it is cork and very malleable, it forms exactly to your foot shape and becomes SO comfy. But it does take time .. couple months of regular wear for me before I got them where I love them. I had a pair for almost 30 years that were AMAZING but the soles finally wore out and cobbler said they were beyond repair. New pair is shaping up nicely, though! :goodvibes

Me too. I'm not even looking at the kind that have the strap between the toe. I tried a (cheap) pair and although the foot bed is very comfy, I hate the feeling between the toe. Very uncomfortable.

Good to know about Birkenstock's. We are now just under 2 months and then if they don't mold, I'm where I am today. Maybe will try for the future.

Keen Newport are our park shoes of choice. Last trip I wore my running shoes one day and Keens the next two days and by far, my feet felt better and less fatigued in the Keens. If you haven't tried a pair on, I would - I find there to be quite a bit of room in the toes - but you may not.

I wear Teva Verra sport sandals and they never let me down. I have worn them straight out of the box and to the parks with no break in time needed, which is a miracle for me because I have very sensitive feet. I love that they can get wet and will dry quickly. I have two pairs so I can trade off.

I wear Teva Tirras and find them to be perfect. Although I bring other shoes, these are the ones I to always choose wear.

It seems like you've got some good responses already but I usually wear saltwater sandals to the parks/all summer! Once you break them in I find them to be the most comfortable and you don't have to worry about them getting wet :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter