Meri Kurimasu from Tokyo Disney Resorts!

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 12 - Cast Member Oikawa Gives a Mickey Wave by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

I apologize for the longer than anticipated installment of my Japan trip. After blazing though the first part featuring Disneysea, I admit to hitting a writer's roadblock when discussing Tokyo Disneyland! Possibly due to similarities to the USA parks, I found it hard to talk about things that haven't been discussed a million times before. Nonetheless, I'm heading out for a week's vacation and wanted to get at least one installment done before I leave. I'll probably pepper this post with a bit more photos than usual, so pardon me for the imbalance of words to pictures.

The first thing that will hit you as you enter into TDL is the roof over World Bazaar (Japan's version of Main Street USA)! It's a serious aberration that breaks the illusion so carefully crafted in the American parks. I understand it was done as a means of dealing with Tokyo weather, but the cost is high. World Bazaar never really recovers from having a ceiling, feeling more like an indoor shopping mall than a stroll down a small town. Once you get over the initial shock, the theming and attention to details on Main Street still retains the high standard set by the Japan parks. There's an abundant amount of Disney performers and cast members here, more so than other areas. It's always a little jarring to watch a performance with cast members speaking in Japanese, but the level of exuberance and energy makes up for the language barrier.

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 09 - Your Friendly Main Street Police Officer by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr
Tokyo Disneyland 2017 73 - Entrance Performers by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Cast members here are super friendly and helpful, but I would not say that it's a big leap over the states. I was scolded a bit more this time around for not understanding their photography rules better, but that's part of their jobs.

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 31 - Traveling Piano Player by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr
Tokyo Disneyland 2017 03 - Cast Member Watanabe by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Christmas decorations are a little more pronounced here as opposed to TDS. The obligatory Christmas Tree stands majestically near the entrance, grabbing a large amount of attention and selfies. Even after park closing, I found it hard to photograph the tree without any people in the shots. I should have taken multiple exposures and manually remove them in post, but I actually don't mind it as it gives a better size perspective.

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 20 - World Bazaar Christmas Tree Early Morning by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr
Tokyo Disneyland 2017 25 - World Bazaar Christmas Tree by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr
Tokyo Disneyland 2017 66 - Closing Hour @ World Bazzar by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 70 - For Safety Please Walk by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

The roof definitely has a visual impact on photos, but I do like the texture it gives to the sky (and with Tokyo being overcast much of the time, this can be a good thing). The above image of the cast member holding the "walk" sign reminds me of how the Japanese will initiate a "fast walk/close to running" movement as they enter the parks. The internal struggle between following Japan social rules v.s. the need to get to their destination of choice as fast as possible is quite amusing. In America, guests will pretty much run full tilt, disregarding pleas of safety from cast members...LOL!

Main street stores have the same attention to detail one expects, but there seems to be a little something "extra" when it comes to the window displays. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I sense a little more pride and personal touch coming from the artists and set designers.

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 67 - The Grand Emporium Window Display 01 by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr
Tokyo Disneyland 2017 65 - The Grand Emporium Detail by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 69 - Princess Window Display by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr
Tokyo Disneyland 2017 56 - World Bazaar Window Display by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr
One of my favorite places to eat at World Bazaar is the Center Street Coffee House. I found it quite by accident during my first visit in 2002 (internet wasn't quite up to snuff and info on TDL was very difficult to find). My first meal there was for breakfast and I had ordered a set menu consisting of a Mickey waffle, eggs, and a yogurt. After taking a bite, I immediately wanted to order an extra yogurt...never having tasted something so creamy, smooth, and delicious. I called over the waitress and asked her for another serving, followed by a look of bewilderment on her face. She could not understand someone wanting to order an extra of something on the menu and ended up asking another waitress, who called the manager, and proceeded to have a mini conference. After much debate, they informed me that they would have to charge me extra. Totally embarrassed by all the fuss, I smiled and said "Wakarimasu" (I understand in English). I've made it a point to always eat at Center Street whenever I visit, but I now stick to the menu and abolish any thoughts of special orders!

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 65 - Center Street Coffeehouse Interior by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr
Tokyo Disneyland 2017 25 - Lunch @ Center Street Coffeehouse by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Tokyo Disneyland 2017 75 - Greetings from Center Street Coffehouse Cast Member by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

To be continued...

These are all so wonderful Len, they really capture the spirit of it.

The roof really does hamper the magic. I am surprised they have not treated it to look a little more like a sky or something kind of the way the German Pavillion is at Epcot or made it more ornate or even hide it somehow.

Lovely pics though!

I've just found your trip report and I'm loving it. Your pictures are beautiful! I'm really looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

These are all so wonderful Len, they really capture the spirit of it.

The roof really does hamper the magic. I am surprised they have not treated it to look a little more like a sky or something kind of the way the German Pavillion is at Epcot or made it more ornate or even hide it somehow.

Lovely pics though!

Thanks alohamom for the kind words as always! Yes, that roof is problematic from an immersive standpoint, but not sure if anything would really solve that situation (other than its complete removal).

Mauna Kea MW Over Fissure Eight by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Taking a short detour from my Japan trip reports to share the above image. If you've been semi following me on this forum, you know that I love photographing the Milky Way, especially at the top of Mauna Kea Summit! At an elevation of 13,800 ft, shots of MW are as clear and crisp as you'll ever see. I can clearly see it also with the naked eye (and not some vague outline, but a very defined and detailed look).

I drove up last week attempting to photograph the MW above several of the telescopes located at the peak. Unfortunately, it was on the opposite side of the sky! A little disappointed, I nonetheless moved my camera and gear to still grab something. As I approached the edge, I noticed an orange hue rising from the horizon. As it came into full view, I realized it was the glow of lava from the newly emerged Fissure 8! If you've been following the news, you know that volcanic activity has been hot and heavy, with the lava destroying hundreds of homes in the Leilani Estates area. I had hope to shoot this event, but security was tight with fines of $5,000.00 and possible jail time being handed out to trespassers. But God, in His generosity, gave me a birds eye view of this spectacle from over 80 miles away!

Mauna Kea Observatory Laser To the Skies by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

As a sidenote, while the lava has touched a lot of lives and is a tragedy, 99% of the Big Island is unaffected by the lava (other than the VOG)! If you were or are planning to visit there, please do so! A lot of the small businesses are dying because of visitor cancellations. There is still so much to do and see on the Big Island..and visiting the summit is clearly one of them!

Milky Way @ Mauna Kea Vistior Center by JUNEAU BISCUITS, on Flickr

Photographs copyright 2018 by Len Yokoyama

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts