Merged Irma impact on The Fort threads here

Well, just got off the phone. They are putting me up at All Stars Music. Grateful I don't have to cancel. No extra charge even though I had a basic campsite booked for the fort.

Thanks @2goofycampers and @tiggerdad - planning this trip has been a huge challenge already since I usually only plan for 2 (adults!) and switching to nine (including 3 kids) is quite different. I know if FW doesn't open by 9/27 everyone in my group will be looking at me, "What do we do now?" so I am trying to stay a half step ahead...:thanks:

If it helps, we have a tent site booked for 9/23-9/27 and got the "About your WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort Arrival!" email today reminding us our trip is coming up. There's nothing mentioning the resort or anything at the resort being closed so there's a good chance everything will be back to normal in the next 10 days.

If it helps, we have a tent site booked for 9/23-9/27 and got the "About your WALT DISNEY WORLD® Resort Arrival!" email today reminding us our trip is coming up. There's nothing mentioning the resort or anything at the resort being closed so there's a good chance everything will be back to normal in the next 10 days.

Thanks for the update! I am keeping an eye on this thread and checking it multiple times a day to learn the latest news!

My check in is this Sat. I am currently on hold which is going on 2 hours.
Thanks to everyone sharing and letting me know what to expect!

What to expect?

About another 2 hours on hold. You had supper yet?

Depending on your freezer it could be less, especially if anyone opens the door to check. My MIL lost power Sunday night and just got it back yesterday and lost everything in the freezer except for what I picked up from them on Monday afternoon. We still had power so we opened the door really quick, grabbed a few things, and closed it...they have to replace everything else.

Yes, you definitely should not open the door - even once!
Ours was packed, but, of course we lost it all anyway as our electricity was off a week. It was a packed 15cu.ft, so would have been ok after 3 days. Still was 'cool' after 7 days, but of course ruined.

Well it seems that the CM I just spoke with did know about the Ft. Wilderness email I received at least. Unfortunately, the queue for Guest Services was full to capacity for the night so she said I could call tomorrow or a team would be calling about relocation. We are due to arrive Friday so I hope I either get a call or get it settled tomorrow. The not knowing what to expect is stressful and spending hours on hold is not fun.

I know this is silly, but I am also concerned about all the turkeys, deer, Squirrels, birds etc. where would they go to hid from Irma - mean Irma

I know this is silly, but I am also concerned about all the turkeys, deer, Squirrels, birds etc. where would they go to hid from Irma - mean Irma
Not silly at all. Animals always seem to know where to hide. As for the squirrels at the Fort, they probably banded together and were able to repel the winds and rain.

Just checked in today. Our original reservation was for Sun the 10th thru Tues 19th. Got a call on the 9th and after discussion and me also living in path of hurricane, they amended my reservation to Wed 13th (today) thru Tues 19. Yesterday I was 15 minutes into what I was told would be a two hour wait to speak to someone when reservations again called me. They told me to show up at the fort today and they would send us to a resort but didn't know which one. Showed up about 10:00 this morning. Could go no further than guard shack out front. They checked my reservation and said the only place they could send anyone was PopCentury. AOA was available earlier but was now full. Went to Pop Century and it was a mad house. We told the cm we really didn't want to stay and ask if she could see if anything else was available or we would cancel. She called several places and found us a room at Caribbean Beach. Went over and the manager gave us a pirate room with a water view for same price as the campground resident get away price we had. Very happy.
Also, guard at fort said there was a LOT of damage with numerous downed trees and problems with utilities. Said it would not open up before Monday and possibly later.

Don't we have a CM who is a regular on this board? I'd just like to get an idea how they are determining who is called and when. I got through to reservations after a very short hold tonight, but of course the CM couldn't help me and since I made the reservation through a travel agent she said that guest services wouldn't talk to me even if I got through.

1) DISNEY says there is over $1-million in damage to Fort Wilderness.
. . . downed trees
. . . building and structure damage
2) Closures
. . . HDDR closed until further notice
. . . Mickey BBQ Closed until further notice.
. . . there are no FIRM DATES to resume full (all normal) operations of The Fort
. . . current camper ressies are being moved to other resort rooms
. . . some Fort employees are currently being deployed to other resorts and other duties
. . . some CM's are being retained at The Fort to assist in the clean-up
3) RUMOR - RUMOR - RUMOR
. . . there is an unofficial Facebook posting from a non-Fort-CM that Disney will close Fort Wilderness
. . . the rumor goes that they will build a large DVC, similar in size of Old Key West
. . . the rumor goes that density of a DVC is far superior to the spread-out occupancy rate of a campground
. . . the rumor goes that a new DVC would be high-rises, to further increase revenue
. . . the rumor goes that the DVC profit is instantaneous, and not spread out over a 40-year mortgage
4) I have no knowledge of what Disney will do with Fort Wilderness.
. . . My very fond dream is they just repair it and continue my favorite resort.
. . . The reasoning behind tearing down FW does make economic sense.
. . . I hope Ogre (I mean Iger) would once forego profit and leave such a guest-centric resort alone.

NOTE: Official Internal Website Communication to CM's regarding Fort Wilderness

"We anticipate that Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will reopen next week, but it remains closed at this time as we clean up the property following the storm. Guests with existing reservations will be relocated to other accommodations within Walt Disney World Resort hotels.

Dining reservations at the resort, including Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue and Mickey’s Backyard BBQ, will be canceled while the resort is closed. As a result, Guests with reservations will need assistance with booking alternative dining arrangements or refunds.

Frequently Asked Question (for use on a reactive basis):

I have a reservation at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground. What do I do?
Guests with reservations at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground will be relocated to other Walt Disney World Resort hotels while we move forward from the impacts due to Hurricane Irma.

When will the Campground reopen?
We look forward to sharing more information as we assess the impacts to our property."

Last edited:
Thanks Rusty Scupper. I gotta say, though, that I'm not loving the overall tone of your post. I don't tend to believe the rumors, but building and structure damage along with tree removal could take quite some time...and hopefully that's the path they'll be going down!

Just checked in today. Our original reservation was for Sun the 10th thru Tues 19th. Got a call on the 9th and after discussion and me also living in path of hurricane, they amended my reservation to Wed 13th (today) thru Tues 19. Yesterday I was 15 minutes into what I was told would be a two hour wait to speak to someone when reservations again called me. They told me to show up at the fort today and they would send us to a resort but didn't know which one. Showed up about 10:00 this morning. Could go no further than guard shack out front. They checked my reservation and said the only place they could send anyone was PopCentury. AOA was available earlier but was now full. Went to Pop Century and it was a mad house. We told the cm we really didn't want to stay and ask if she could see if anything else was available or we would cancel. She called several places and found us a room at Caribbean Beach. Went over and the manager gave us a pirate room with a water view for same price as the campground resident get away price we had. Very happy.
Also, guard at fort said there was a LOT of damage with numerous downed trees and problems with utilities. Said it would not open up before Monday and possibly later.

We're set to arrive on Tuesday and as of this morning all I'm getting is the usual check in confirmation, nothing to suggest that we'll be relocated. I guess right now it's still day by day as they get things cleared up. Hoping everyone traveling down in the next few days can at least get accommodated.

Thank you for the update. Our party of 12 is scheduled to arrive for a campsite and cabin this Saturday the 16th and we still haven't been contacted with a plan. Our travel agent has called 3 times and only been told that they will call her back. I'm in need of some serious pixie dust right now.

I guess our other thread is gone. We still have no power but my parents got it yesterday so we are staying there. The heat and humidity are awful but can't complain too much that Miami suffered mainly tree canopy damage. Obviously, our Keys camping trip to Curry Hammock next week is off, maybe the October one to Kissimmee State Preserve. Scary reading the news about the Fort especially the unsubstantiated rumors being spread (even here) about its permanent closure. Looking forward to a "refreshed" Fort for our New Years teip.

Thanks TRS,

Great to hear from you and the sharing of the "company line".

Like often occurs in times of uncertainty, opinion and speculation lead to rumors that take on a life of their own. I have no doubt that many different plans have existed over the years on options for the Fort property. Just days after a disaster are when assessment and recovery occur, not long term decisions.

I'm sure some of the Fort will reopen soon. That's when I would expect serious conversations about "What next?"

j

One other comment about $1,000,000 worth of damage.

That really isn't much when you consider the revenue generation of the Fort. Using broad numbers, it is less than 9 days of revenue.

The Fort Wiki says there are 800 campsites and 409 cabins. Using an average $100/night average across all 1209 units is $120,900 per day. 8.2 days and you are at $1,000,000.

They have likely lost more than a million in cancelled/relocated campers since last Saturday.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts