Mental Health

Domo

Wotcha
Did you know that up to one in four people will experience symptoms of depression at one point in their lives? And that one in TEN will hear a voice in the room, even when there is no-one around? Or that over 1% of people will be classified as psychotic at one point in their lives?

Mental health is a misunderstood issue here in the UK. Many people don't even know what schizophrenia is! They think it has something to do with having a split personality! And those that experience anxiety wil never seek help for it, feeling terrified of the prognosis.

It's sad. People who need treatment, be it medication or simply someone to talk to, frequently suffer in silence. It can't go on like this.

My husband has a laundry list of mental health issues. Luckily, he doesn’t hear voices..that’s when I’d start to get scared. He is on medication(s) that help and has also done counselling.

I hope one day it’s seen as equal to physical ailments, then maybe it will get the funding it needs to help people who can’t afford the help otherwise.

My husband has a laundry list of mental health issues. Luckily, he doesn’t hear voices..that’s when I’d start to get scared. He is on medication(s) that help and has also done counselling.

I hope one day it’s seen as equal to physical ailments, then maybe it will get the funding it needs to help people who can’t afford the help otherwise.

kimblebee, I'm sorry your hubby has to deal with these demons. Meds don't always solve everything but they often help. Im glad he has received counselling - they always say that if you take meds, you need a form of therapy. Sending out good vibes to him!

kimblebee, I'm sorry your hubby has to deal with these demons. Meds don't always solve everything but they often help. Im glad he has received counselling - they always say that if you take meds, you need a form of therapy. Sending out good vibes to him!

Thank you. Some days are tougher than others but we seem to have found a good balance for now.

:sad1: Agree that access to care is completely inadequate. We've seen a number of counsellors over the years for various reasons - blessedly our supplemental health plans always covered it. A good thing being as some of the professional fees were as high as $300/hour. That would have been prohibitive for us and actual "free" help (funded through health care) had wait-lists so long as to make them functionally unavailable.

I truly believe we are on our way there.

And like many things in life, people who think they know everything/better begin to better understand when it reaches their doorstep.

Last edited:
Did you know that up to one in four people will experience symptoms of depression at one point in their lives? And that one in TEN will hear a voice in the room, even when there is no-one around? Or that over 1% of people will be classified as psychotic at one point in their lives?

Mental health is a misunderstood issue here in the UK. Many people don't even know what schizophrenia is! They think it has something to do with having a split personality! And those that experience anxiety wil never seek help for it, feeling terrified of the prognosis.

It's sad. People who need treatment, be it medication or simply someone to talk to, frequently suffer in silence. It can't go on like this.

Wow. Honestly I'm surprised it's only one in four. I experience it almost daily. My whole family suffers from depression as do many, many of my friends. I'm very open about discussing it because I think we should be. I bet that number is so much higher and people just don't want to admit it because of the stigma.

I think some level of anxiety and depression is normal. There are studies that suggest that for every person who suffers from severe depression, there is a person who is unusually happy in the face of what most of us would find devastating. Those cases don't get reported. So if you think of a bell curve, most people are somewhere in the middle. Losing a spouse, going through a divorce, losing a job, these are things that would test even the most stable of people.

I think everyone experiences anxiety or depression at some point in their lives. It's not always a diagnosable condition since it has to meet certain criteria in the DSM to be labeled as such.

I've heard that anxiety is the "common cold" of mental illness.

There are many fallacies surrounding schizophrenia. I've done a lot of research for it for various classes. I originally found it interesting because of things like the hallucinations, but the more I researched it, the more I learned that a lot of what people think it is, isn't true.

Mental health is so fascinating. We've really just begun to scratch the surface of that and how the brain works in general.

I suffer from Anxiety, Depression, OCD, and PTSD. I can not function without Anxiety meds. I have tried again and again to get off of them. They allow me to calm down enough to live an almost normal life, though I still have breakthrough attacks at times, especially when I have sleep issues. I have tried therapy. I have tried meditation. I have tried exercise. Nothing helps enough without the meds. So I deal with the judgement and "suggestions" about how to handle my anxiety because so many people think it's not a "real" issue or it's something that everyone deals with and they just "get over it" in time. Not everyone. I do not "get over it". I deal with it every single day of my life, it's just a matter of how bad a specific day is going to be. Same with the depression. Same with the OCD and PTSD.

I suffer from Anxiety, Depression, OCD, and PTSD. I can not function without Anxiety meds. I have tried again and again to get off of them. They allow me to calm down enough to live an almost normal life, though I still have breakthrough attacks at times, especially when I have sleep issues. I have tried therapy. I have tried meditation. I have tried exercise. Nothing helps enough without the meds. So I deal with the judgement and "suggestions" about how to handle my anxiety because so many people think it's not a "real" issue or it's something that everyone deals with and they just "get over it" in time. Not everyone. I do not "get over it". I deal with it every single day of my life, it's just a matter of how bad a specific day is going to be. Same with the depression. Same with the OCD and PTSD.

People tell you to "snap out of it". But I liken mental illness to a broken arm. You can't just "snap out of" a broken arm, can you?

People tell you to "snap out of it". But I liken mental illness to a broken arm. You can't just "snap out of" a broken arm, can you?
I would love to be able to snap out of it. It's like people think I enjoy always feeling exhausted, not enjoying the things I used to love (writing and cooking), gaining weight, and not wanting to leave bed or the darkness of my bedroom.

Yep. I LOVE it taking 3 hours to write one page of a story when I am in a depressive episode. Because losing my creativity is just wonderful! /s

It is sad and a bit pathetic how dumb people are about mental illness. Like you said Domo, they wouldn't tell you to "snap out of" a broken arm. But since they can't SEE the anxiety and depression, then it can't be as bad, right?

I am blessed that (most) of my family and friends are super understanding. They accept me for who I am and for my "quirks". They don't get mad when they get messaged in the middle of the night because SURPRISE panic attack over nothing. So at least I have that going for me.

I would love to be able to snap out of it. It's like people think I enjoy always feeling exhausted, not enjoying the things I used to love (writing and cooking), gaining weight, and not wanting to leave bed or the darkness of my bedroom.

Yep. I LOVE it taking 3 hours to write one page of a story when I am in a depressive episode. Because losing my creativity is just wonderful! /s

It is sad and a bit pathetic how dumb people are about mental illness. Like you said Domo, they wouldn't tell you to "snap out of" a broken arm. But since they can't SEE the anxiety and depression, then it can't be as bad, right?

I am blessed that (most) of my family and friends are super understanding. They accept me for who I am and for my "quirks". They don't get mad when they get messaged in the middle of the night because SURPRISE panic attack over nothing. So at least I have that going for me.

LilyWDW, I am so sorry you have to deal with these demons :guilty:

If you ever feel like a chat, just about anything, I'll lend an ear :)

I think everyone experiences anxiety or depression at some point in their lives. It's not always a diagnosable condition since it has to meet certain criteria in the DSM to be labeled as such.

I've heard that anxiety is the "common cold" of mental illness.

I think this train of thought is common and is a root of a lot of the misunderstanding on some issues like anxiety disorders and clinical depression.
Anxiety is a normal reaction to stress, everyone experiences it. And... as often as not, if I mention my anxiety disorder I will get sympathetic remarks from people who suffer from anxiety disorders ... and also from people who want to tell me about things that make them anxious. Which is nice, but getting flustered because you have to drive through Gary Indiana during rush hour does not indicate a disorder.

I finally got it through to my brother in some small way. He was giving me the "Sometimes you just have to learn to live with it." speech and commented how as a plumber sometimes he has to go on the roof of houses. He's deathly afraid of heights and his heart races and he sweats buckets and can barely talk the entire time he's on the roof. But it has to get done so he just learns to live with it and gets the job done. I said, "Ok, now suppose you had that same reaction to walking around on the ground outside your home, and whenever strangers wanted to talk to you, and whenever the phone rings, and every time you had to drive somewhere... Imagine every waking moment of your life feeling like you feel up on that roof." He looked at me like I was pulling his leg, then took a second and said, "I'd have killed myself within the first year."

I can't count the number of times I've heard someone relate to someone with depression by stating some things that make them sad. Being sad isn't depression, it's a symptom. Depression is the inability to have appropriate feelings.

I'm gonna go a little bit 'Murica on you here, and please believe me when I say it comes from a place of love.
Europeans in general and British in particular are backwards when it comes to mental health. Look, with a few reservations, I love the British model for healthcare, it's a travesty that we still have people in this country going bankrupt because they get sick. I'm not suggesting that the US is a better place to get sick in any general sense of the word.

And yet... A friend recently left her career in London to move to the states because getting proper care for her daughter's ADD was impossible. There is a soul deep misconception among the British people that ADD is simply a moral failing. And to the extent that it is accepted as a thing, we still find a complete unwillingness to treat it with medicines that we know will have a positive effect. When I brought up my daughter going onto amphetamines to treat her ADD at a gathering that included a few of our European and British friends there was an audible gasp.

And before anyone suggests that it is a bias against amphetamine use. Keep in mind that Adderall is perfectly legal in England and most of the EU if you have narcolepsy. See narcolepsy is not a moral weakness, but being unable to complete homework assignments is. And I get it, I think ADD and ADHD is over prescribed in the US and RX therapy is over-used. But that's not where the push-back across the pond is coming from. The most common reaction I get is that ADD doesn't really exist or is a behavioral matter caused by bad parenting. Oddly enough, this sentiment is just as common regarding depression in a number of Eastern European countries. In a number of discussions I've had about various brain meds there is a deep aversion to them by the British and Europeans. Especially if there is any possible recreational use of that drug. Benzos are an effective short term solution to anxiety related sleeplessness and when prescribed by a doctor for this have few side effects and a very low potential for abuse (https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-DetTabs-2016/NSDUH-DetTabs-2016.pdf), yet I mention klonopin or ambien around our European friends and it's as if I recommended Hitler flavored baby harp seal jerky.

Apparently in England severe insomnia is treated most often with anti-psychotics and anti-depressants like Dolsulepin, Olanzapine, and Trazodone. Dolsulepin kills hundreds of Brits every year (dozens accidentally) but no body gets high off it so that's what they prescribe. Olanzapine and Trazodone both trigger thoughts of suicide and lead to higher incidents of suicide. Olanzapine can cause diabetes and permanent nervous tics, Trazadone can trigger a priapism that might even lead to penile gangrene ... but nobody's getting high off those meds so that's what they get.

It's barbaric. My English friend's pediatrician actually told her, "Hey, not every kid needs to go to university." I mean, sure, not every kid wants to go to university. But hers did. And it's not about natural ability. Once she moved to the states and her kiddo got the medicine she needed to focus on her schooling she went from a failing student to carrying a full AP curriculum. This kid's teacher in the UK recommended she look into learning how to do nails.

I'm not usually so much of a Jingoist, I am fairly critical of American politics and culture, and to be clear, we have a lot of ground to make up when it comes to mental health, but in my travels abroad I've found most cultures have a much more primitive if not outright antipathic view on the subject.

I'm gonna go a little bit 'Murica on you here, and please believe me when I say it comes from a place of love.
Europeans in general and British in particular are backwards when it comes to mental health. Look, with a few reservations, I love the British model for healthcare, it's a travesty that we still have people in this country going bankrupt because they get sick. I'm not suggesting that the US is a better place to get sick in any general sense of the word.

And yet... A friend recently left her career in London to move to the states because getting proper care for her daughter's ADD was impossible. There is a soul deep misconception among the British people that ADD is simply a moral failing. And to the extent that it is accepted as a thing, we still find a complete unwillingness to treat it with medicines that we know will have a positive effect. When I brought up my daughter going onto amphetamines to treat her ADD at a gathering that included a few of our European and British friends there was an audible gasp.

And before anyone suggests that it is a bias against amphetamine use. Keep in mind that Adderall is perfectly legal in England and most of the EU if you have narcolepsy. See narcolepsy is not a moral weakness, but being unable to complete homework assignments is. And I get it, I think ADD and ADHD is over prescribed in the US and RX therapy is over-used. But that's not where the push-back across the pond is coming from. The most common reaction I get is that ADD doesn't really exist or is a behavioral matter caused by bad parenting. Oddly enough, this sentiment is just as common regarding depression in a number of Eastern European countries. In a number of discussions I've had about various brain meds there is a deep aversion to them by the British and Europeans. Especially if there is any possible recreational use of that drug. Benzos are an effective short term solution to anxiety related sleeplessness and when prescribed by a doctor for this have few side effects and a very low potential for abuse (https://www.samhsa.gov/data/sites/default/files/NSDUH-DetTabs-2016/NSDUH-DetTabs-2016.pdf), yet I mention klonopin or ambien around our European friends and it's as if I recommended Hitler flavored baby harp seal jerky.

Apparently in England severe insomnia is treated most often with anti-psychotics and anti-depressants like Dolsulepin, Olanzapine, and Trazodone. Dolsulepin kills hundreds of Brits every year (dozens accidentally) but no body gets high off it so that's what they prescribe. Olanzapine and Trazodone both trigger thoughts of suicide and lead to higher incidents of suicide. Olanzapine can cause diabetes and permanent nervous tics, Trazadone can trigger a priapism that might even lead to penile gangrene ... but nobody's getting high off those meds so that's what they get.

It's barbaric. My English friend's pediatrician actually told her, "Hey, not every kid needs to go to university." I mean, sure, not every kid wants to go to university. But hers did. And it's not about natural ability. Once she moved to the states and her kiddo got the medicine she needed to focus on her schooling she went from a failing student to carrying a full AP curriculum. This kid's teacher in the UK recommended she look into learning how to do nails.

I'm not usually so much of a Jingoist, I am fairly critical of American politics and culture, and to be clear, we have a lot of ground to make up when it comes to mental health, but in my travels abroad I've found most cultures have a much more primitive if not outright antipathic view on the subject.

I respect your opinion. I don't agree with it, but I respect it.

I respect your opinion. I don't agree with it, but I respect it.

Do you find that most Brits are more accepting of mental illness than I described? I fully cop to the fact that my sample size is small. I live in the states but socialize primarily with the expat group from my wife's employer; mostly Brits, German, Mexican, and a few Polish and Serbian couples. For my own occupation I'm regularly abroad in England, most of western Europe, China, and Japan. I've related the attitudes I run into most on this subject but I can't say how deeply they run in those places because I'm seldom there for more than a month at a time.

Do you find that most Brits are more accepting of mental illness than I described? I fully cop to the fact that my sample size is small. I live in the states but socialize primarily with the expat group from my wife's employer; mostly Brits, German, Mexican, and a few Polish and Serbian couples. For my own occupation I'm regularly abroad in England, most of western Europe, China, and Japan. I've related the attitudes I run into most on this subject but I can't say how deeply they run in those places because I'm seldom there for more than a month at a time.

My stance is that the delivery of psychiatry is better practiced here. Drugs such as Dosulepin, Olanzapine and so on ARE dangerous, but I prefer their use to the Benzos and Z-drugs in the US. Little things like that. And drugs such as Reboxetine and Moclobemide are accessbile to us yet are NOT available in the US, despite being very varied and actually safer than standard SSRIs.

As a result of suffering with a variety of illnesses in my life I have built up a MASSIVE understanding of mental health drugs and their usages.

You can find my repository here:

http://www.cocoa.uk.com/seratis/

I hope people find it interesting.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm more confident to be treated by a British psychiatrist.

HOWEVER.

America provides the psychiatric world with a wealth of investment. Many treatments would not exist without the USA.

One of the most important progressions has been rTMS, a replacement for ECT. It's non-invasive, revolutionary and extremely effective. It's been a lifesaver for me and to many others who have tried it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter