• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Memory/Reader

sleepyone

DIS Veteran
How much memory do you bring to WDW? I need to know whether 1GB on an 8 MP camera will make it through a day. Last year, I used 30 rolls of film for a week at WDW.

Besides bringing a laptop, what other methods have you used to save your photos? Is there a reader that you have used and liked?

Well... 30 rolls over a week is ~4.5 rolls\day. If each roll was 24exp, that means you were shooting 108 frames per day.

A typical 8mp camera will put out a file size of ~3.3mb (in fine JPEG). 3.3mb * 108 shots = 356mb, so yes, a 1GB card should cover for a day. Actually, it would cover you for ~3 days if you shot as many frames as you did on film.

As for what I bring with me, ~10GB in flash. Additionally, I carry my (now 60GB, prior a 20 and a 40GB) iPod with the camera adapter in my bag as well.

Then again, I shoot in uncompressed RAW, which yields a file size of ~10mb and I shoot probably 300 frames per day, sometimes less, sometimes a lot more.

I have the Epson P2000 that I take with me if I don't want to bring a laptop. Great viewer so I can preview and delete any photos I don't want to keep.

Last trip (totalling 2 weeks) I brought 2.5 Gb of CF card and have a bit left. All pics were taken using a 6 MP camera with "Fine" setting.

sleepyone said:
How much memory do you bring to WDW? I need to know whether 1GB on an 8 MP camera will make it through a day. Last year, I used 30 rolls of film for a week at WDW.

Besides bringing a laptop, what other methods have you used to save your photos? Is there a reader that you have used and liked?
I would always bring an extra memory card. My tendancy is to take more pictures with digital than I did with film (ie, several pictures with digital of a subject vs 1 shot with film).

If you're bringing a laptop, you might try a small card reader. I use the Sandisk 5-in-1 reader. It's small and easy to use.

We were there last month and I had 3 1GB cards with me. For each card I get about 225 to 250 shots at the highest jpeg setting, the files average 4 to 4.5 MB per shot. I only went to a second card once or twice during the week. Every night I copied the pictures to my laptop and burned them to CD to make sure I was covered.

We took a 1GB and 2 256MB cards. I downloaded to a laptop daily but could have several days on the big card. My camera is a 7 MP, so the big card hols 336 pics.
I have read posts suggesting two smaller cards instead of 1 big one. This is a good idea, but the deal I got on the 1GB was too good to pass up.

safetymom said:
I have the Epson P2000 that I take with me if I don't want to bring a laptop. Great viewer so I can preview and delete any photos I don't want to keep.
This sounds like a great idea. I may just have to hint around for my upcoming birthday.;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter