Member annual meeting question

penguincruiser

Waddling to WDW!!
Does anyone know how long the annual meeting takes approx.

I would like to attend OKW meeting on 29th Nov but that is also the date of the shuttle launch and I've got tickets to surprise DH. Any info would be appreciated.

JJ Penguin

I have been to 2 OKW annual meetings and to say that it was 2 to many is an understatement. They are the biggest waste of time and I would put them with attending a timeshare "breakfast" outside of WDW. I thought that the first one was so ridiculous and that it must have been a mistake and so I attended another one two years later to see what a real meeting was, and nothing had changed. They had some donuts and orange juice and coffee. The meetings are always the same with no input from the DVC members in the voting. DVC appoints one of Disney administration to vote for DVC membership as outlined in your member packet regulations. They them have a question and answer session after the voting and it seemed like the same people complaining about the same things each year. Nothing was ever acomplished due to the question and answer session. It takes about an hour to hour and a half for this process. I will not waste my time again. So, going to the shuttle launch is much more productive then any annual meeting. I so enjoy my DVC membership and I think that Disney has done a great job with OKW but the annual meeting is only a yearly requirement and is not of much value to DVC members. I read the meeting results and voice my opinion to DVC when I feel the need, but the actual meeting acomplishes very little interaction between DVC and the members.
If I have offended someone I do apoligize, but to give up an exciting event like a shuttle launch for the OKW meeting would be a mistake.
:bounce: :wave:

Based on experience, I unfortunately would tell you not to expect to have a conflict with a shuttle launch. I have attempted to see a shuttle launch at least a half dozen times while down in Florida, and have NEVER seen one go off that was scheduled for the time I was there. We did see a nighttime shuttle launch in December 1999--it had been postponed something like eight times, the last time being the night before we got to WDW. We got very, very lucky and saw a once in a lifetime, indescribable event. It also taught me to never plan a vacation around a shuttle launch!

The OKW annual meeting usually begins about 9 a.m. & is over by 11 a.m. or so. The board has its meeting first which last about 5 minutes. The members meeting follows. There is usually a budget question & answer session followed by a general question & answer session. The meeting formats are very formal.

Prior to last year's OKW meeting there was an "informal" meeting the day before the annual meeting. It was a good opportunity to talk to DVC CMs, ask questions, etc. Last year they did not have this meeting & we missed it.

We find it informative to attend the annual meeting to hear/learn first hand how our membership is being run, meet & talk to DVC CMs, etc.

However, when is the shuttle scheduled?

Last year at the BWV meeting they said it would end at 10:00 (started at 9:00) and it did. However, the board & managers were available for individual questions afterwards. To be honest, it was interesting, but if you have something better to do (like a shuttle launch) I would do it. Usually there are members who post notes from the meeting here or on other boards.

Thanks for the info!

The shuttle launch isn't planned till the evening but we will want to do KSC beforehand, but this shouldn't be a problem.

I think I'll play it by ear when I'm there.

JJ Penguin

Unless you've seen it already you should allow 5 hours give or take to see KSC...and that doesn't include the drive. When I saw it was quite foggy so I skipped one stop but even so it was 4 hours between talks, movies, displays and the bus ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter