Meet me at the Snuggly Duckling! A June 2018 TR. UPDATED 3/8

Our last couple Safaris have been more quiet. You were lucky to see the baby hippo, I have been trying for quite some time.

We haven’t been on KRR since 2010, Andi always vetoes this, I like it especially when it is really hot!

I love to watch the gorillas, love your pictures!

I think the Gorillas are just so amazing to watch. Really enjoying your trip report.

Sounds like it was a great day to see the gorillas!

Whew, AK in the summer...I'm hot just thinking about it. What a bummer that Kali didn't cool you off; you know had you gone on the attraction trying to stay dry, it would have soaked you.

Nice safari & trail pics! And I like the pics on your way to KRR, very pretty!

I think the whole Asia section of the park is so well themed and pretty.

I feel like if you go into Kali River Rapids wanting to get wet you usually don't! :rotfl:

Probably true!

Hi Lessa, I've been slowly reading and getting caught up on your report for a while now. Just thought I would let you know I was here! I just had my first experience with Pandora in August and like you, I was impressed with it. I wasn't sure what to expect or how I would feel about Avatar being in AK, but I think it does kind of fit and they did an amazing job with the land.

I had those same feelings going into it but I think they did a good job of blending it into the rest of the park, helps that they made it so lush and green like the rest of the park.

Love the Gorilla pics. I can spend all day watching them. My son has loved them since he was little, even did a paper on how gorillas are like people. Mom does all the work and dad just lays around picking his toes. I always loved that comparison.

I have never been on Kali River as I'm afraid of my camera getting wet. I am sure I asked you before but what kind of camera do you use? You have some wonderful pictures.

I use a variety of cameras. Most of the photos were either taken on my iphone or my Nikon. The Kali pictures were taken on my waterproof Canon.

Our last couple Safaris have been more quiet. You were lucky to see the baby hippo, I have been trying for quite some time.

We haven’t been on KRR since 2010, Andi always vetoes this, I like it especially when it is really hot!

I love to watch the gorillas, love your pictures!

I don't blame Andi for vetoing it as there are much better attractions in the park but it is a nice option on a hot day. For water rapid rides though Kali is not the greatest as it is fairly tame and doesn't get you all that wet; the one at Universal is great though and you get totally soaked on that one!

I think the Gorillas are just so amazing to watch. Really enjoying your trip report.

I love gorillas, beautiful animals!

Sounds like it was a great day to see the gorillas!

Whew, AK in the summer...I'm hot just thinking about it. What a bummer that Kali didn't cool you off; you know had you gone on the attraction trying to stay dry, it would have soaked you.

We were definitely lucky with all the gorilla activity.

:laughing: You are probably right about Kali.

June 15 - Animal Kingdom

After our not very wet ride on Kali we grabbed a few waters and then made our way through Maharajah Jungle Trek.

I don't know about all of you but I love the theming along this trail. Maybe it is because I am into ancient history but I love the look of the "ancient ruins".

I was hoping to see the tiger cubs out and playing but we were out of luck visiting in the heat of the day; should have gone first thing in the morning. All the tigers were up against the walls and tucked away hidden in corners taking naps while we were there.

We did see these guys out and I don't remember ever seeing them on the trail before so perhaps they are a new addition since our last trip.

The heat was really starting to get to me as I was feeling not so great so we decided we would catch the new Up! bird show as it was about to start and then head back to the hotel.

The show was cute but I think I prefer the old show, Flights of Wonder. Perhaps my enjoyment of the show was impacted by my feeling less than stellar. In hindsight we should have skipped the show and just gone back to the resort for our afternoon break.

You can tell I wasn't feeling great as those are the only photos I have from the show. Usually I am all about getting good shots of the birds.

After the show let out we started to make our way out of the park and we did stop for a few photopass photos along the way as these were the first photopass photographers we had seen all day! I was surprised as on past trips there had been photographers throughout the park but on this trip they only seemed to be in Pandora and out front of the Tree of Life. I wonder why they have cut back on the number of photographers?

We also noticed that the photos process is a little different at Animal Kingdom. At AK they want to scan your band before they take the photo instead of afterwards. We encountered this at every photographer in the park. I am curious why this is different than at the other parks where they scan after?

Back at the hotel we got changed into our swim wear and I popped a Gravol as I was feeling sick to my stomach. I figured it was just due to the heat and that with some water and time in the pool to cool down I would feel better soon....

When we got down to the pool area it turned out to be closed as there was some storm activity close enough to the resort that they had to temporarily shut down due to safety.

Mom and I grabbed some lounge chairs just outside the pool area and figured we would just relax and read until the pool opened back up.

I made my way into The Mara with our mugs to get some cool beverages but before I could get my turn at the machines a very strong wave of nausea swept over me and I knew I had to get out of there quickly. I bolted for the pool bathrooms and made it just in time. It was awful, I threw up several times and every time I thought it was over it happened again. Finally it subsided but I couldn't get up as I still felt so sick so I just sat there praying to the porcelain god. Luckily for me one of the lifeguards who was waiting for the all clear on the pool was in the washroom and heard me so she came to investigate to see if I was alright. She got me some cool clothes, water and mouthwash and stayed with me until I felt well enough to get up. She asked if I wanted her to have somebody locate my family but since I was pretty sure the vomiting was done with I declined.

After cleaning up a bit I made my way back out to Mom who did not even notice how long I had been gone! :laughing: I told her what happened and she asked if I wanted to go back up to the room but I could not even face walking that far at the moment so I just laid down on a lounge chair and closed my eyes for a bit. Eventually I decided to try and muster the energy to go back up to the room. We made it back successfully and I promptly laid down in bed feeling sorry for myself. At least if I was going to lay sick in bed I still had a good view as I could see the giraffes outside from my bed.

Mom told me that I should just rest and go to sleep and take the rest of the day off but we had a very important fastpass that evening that I did not want to miss! I did decide take a nap though and set my alarm for 5:45. I put my ear plugs in so that I could block out any noise Mom made with whatever she decided to do to pass the time. Well, I slept through the alarm but luckily I woke up shortly after it started going off anyways as Mom said she was going to just let me keep sleeping which meant we would have missed our Flight of Passage fastpasses!! Blasphemy! If I had slept much longer there would have been no way we would have made it.

I still wasn't feeling 100% but I dragged myself out of bed and got ready to head back into the parks.

These guys were hanging out by our room the whole time I was napping so at least Mom got to enjoy them while I was trying to recover.

I'm still not sure what was wrong with me although the logical assumption would be heat exhaustion. I do have a tradition of getting sick on vacation though so it could have been some kind of bug as well. I think probably though it was a combination of 1)heat 2)dehydration - although I was drinking tons of water 3)too much food at the Tusker House buffet 4)exhaustion from the long day at MK the day before and the early wakeup for AK.

We made our way back to Animal Kingdom and I just prayed I was well enough to get through a few hours at the park.

Oh no, there's nothing worse than getting sick while traveling! I hope that was the end of it and you were able to enjoy your evening.

Oh no! Being sick at Disney is the absolute worst, and I'm sure it was really crappy to not be in the comfort of your room when the worst hit. Fingers crossed you started to feel better and could use your FOP passes.

Oh no, I'm sorry you got sick :( Feeling crummy on vacation stinks! That was really nice of the lifeguard CM to assist you and it sounds like you really needed that rest!

Oh no, there's nothing worse than getting sick while traveling! I hope that was the end of it and you were able to enjoy your evening.

It is awful and it happens to me almost every time I travel. :sad2:

Oh no! Being sick at Disney is the absolute worst, and I'm sure it was really crappy to not be in the comfort of your room when the worst hit. Fingers crossed you started to feel better and could use your FOP passes.

Yes, it would have been so much better if I had been in the room when it hit instead of down at the pool. I am just so grateful I made it to the pool washroom in time. I would have been mortified if I got sick in The Mara. :(

Oh no, I'm sorry you got sick :( Feeling crummy on vacation stinks! That was really nice of the lifeguard CM to assist you and it sounds like you really needed that rest!

Yes, it was a small blessing the lifeguard was there; especially if I had needed real help such as first aid etc. Luckily I didn't but it is comforting to know I would have had help if I needed it.

Awesome report so far. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well. I'm sure you hear this all the time, but you look just your mom!

Oh no!! So sorry, you were feeling so sick:sick: The heat is no joke and maybe something didn’t sit right from TH!

We saw the UP show for the first time in April and I thought it was cute but one and done for me!

I hope you got to experience FoP without feeling sick! It is ahhhmazing!!

I'm still not sure what was wrong with me although the logical assumption would be heat exhaustion. I do have a tradition of getting sick on vacation though so it could have been some kind of bug as well. I think probably though it was a combination of 1)heat 2)dehydration - although I was drinking tons of water 3)too much food at the Tusker House buffet 4)exhaustion from the long day at MK the day before and the early wakeup for AK.

We made our way back to Animal Kingdom and I just prayed I was well enough to get through a few hours at the park.
Ugh Poor you!!! So awful to be sick on vacation! I hope you were able to go on FoP and felt better.

I don't know about all of you but I love the theming along this trail. Maybe it is because I am into ancient history but I love the look of the "ancient ruins".
I get a bit sad when people report on the trails. I have tried to get my family to walk the trails but they never want too, especially in August when it was so hot. I really think they would enjoy it if they just tried. I'm sure my daughter would love the tigers in particular.

The show was cute but I think I prefer the old show, Flights of Wonder.
Hmmm...I was tempted to watch the new UP! show but didn't. I wasn't a big fan of Flights of Wonder. Perhaps I didn't miss much.

At AK they want to scan your band before they take the photo instead of afterwards. We encountered this at every photographer in the park. I am curious why this is different than at the other parks where they scan after?
I noticed this too. Kind of strange. We took a bunch of pictures in different poses outside the Safaris, but only half of them showed up - I wonder if the odd scanning procedure might have something to do with it.

When we got down to the pool area it turned out to be closed as there was some storm activity close enough to the resort that they had to temporarily shut down due to safety.
The must be a new or different policy (at least in the last few years). The pool was shut nearly every afternoon at All-Star Music because of weather - or the threat of weather. I don't remember it being such an issue before.

At least if I was going to lay sick in bed I still had a good view as I could see the giraffes outside from my bed.
So terrible that you were sick. It's bad enough, but especially on vacation. I did have to laugh a bit that you found some "Disney magic" with the giraffes outside the window making nausea just a little better.

We also noticed that the photos process is a little different at Animal Kingdom. At AK they want to scan your band before they take the photo instead of afterwards. We encountered this at every photographer in the park. I am curious why this is different than at the other parks where they scan after?
Yeah, I even had a photographer say "here we do things differently". It's strange.

Back at the hotel we got changed into our swim wear and I popped a Gravol as I was feeling sick to my stomach. I figured it was just due to the heat and that with some water and time in the pool to cool down I would feel better soon....
Uh oh, that is ominous!

At least if I was going to lay sick in bed I still had a good view as I could see the giraffes outside from my bed.
Well that is good at least! It's like the giraffes wanted to make sure you were ok! :p

Oooh sorry you were sick on holidays but I admire your determination to get use the Flight of Passage fastpasses

Awesome report so far. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well. I'm sure you hear this all the time, but you look just your mom!

We do get that a lot but I don't see it. :confused3:laughing:

Oh no!! So sorry, you were feeling so sick:sick: The heat is no joke and maybe something didn’t sit right from TH!

We saw the UP show for the first time in April and I thought it was cute but one and done for me!

I hope you got to experience FoP without feeling sick! It is ahhhmazing!!

I think the Up show was a one and done for me as well although if it is still around in a few years I may get roped into it by my brothers since they haven't seen it.

Ugh Poor you!!! So awful to be sick on vacation! I hope you were able to go on FoP and felt better.

Stay tuned! I will be posting another update shortly. It was definitely pretty awful getting sick like that.

I get a bit sad when people report on the trails. I have tried to get my family to walk the trails but they never want too, especially in August when it was so hot. I really think they would enjoy it if they just tried. I'm sure my daughter would love the tigers in particular.

That is too bad as the trails are wonderful!

I noticed this too. Kind of strange. We took a bunch of pictures in different poses outside the Safaris, but only half of them showed up - I wonder if the odd scanning procedure might have something to do with it.

I am sure it is, during the whole ten days the only parks where we ended up with photos of strangers on our photopass was at Animal Kingdom.

So terrible that you were sick. It's bad enough, but especially on vacation. I did have to laugh a bit that you found some "Disney magic" with the giraffes outside the window making nausea just a little better.

Got to look for the silver lining!

Yeah, I even had a photographer say "here we do things differently". It's strange.

It is strange. I don;t understand why they would do it differently in that one park, confuses guests and I am sure the photographers as well if they come over from a different park.

Oooh sorry you were sick on holidays but I admire your determination to get use the Flight of Passage fastpasses

:laughing: That ride is so hard to get on that I did not want to let being sick cause me to miss the opportunity! If it had been anything else I would have just said "forget about it" and never even attempted to go back to the parks that night.

Caught up. I just got back from Disney World the other day and miss it already. I totally get the being sick at Disney feeling. I got sick myself last week and it is the pits.

I haven't done Pandora as I have an issue with motion sickness and those kind of rides. I can't even ride Soarin' without turning a lovely shade of green. I do like the area and the Na'vi ride so that is fine with me. I wanted to do the bird show but time got away from me unfortunately. I don't like birds but I love taking pictures of them.

June 15 - Animal Kingdom

Even though I was still feeling ill I dragged myself out of bed and got ready to head back to the park. It was better than it had been earlier. It was now just a general feeling of being unwell instead of the nausea and headache and weakness from earlier. I was hoping that my body would allow me to squeeze in a few hours at Animal Kingdom without revolting against this abuse. :laughing:

To be honest, if we did not have Flight of Passage fastpasses I would have just stayed in bed and rested but fastpasses are so hard to come by and I had heard such amazing things about the ride, I really did not want to miss it. I was being a bit silly as we had fastpasses for it again at the end of the trip but I did not want to wait. Foolish, I know.

Back at Animal Kingdom it had thankfully cooled down so it was a very pleasant temperature in comparison to earlier in the day.

We stopped for photopass pictures at the entrance and as we made our way through the park and into Pandora.

The photopass stop here by the falls is where we ended up with three other groups photopass pictures as well as our own. i put it down to the weird Magic Band scanning procedure at Animal Kingdom. :confused3

It was finally time to go on Flight of Passage! I was pumped! Well, as excited as I could be considering my health that evening. I was really nervous that I would get sick on the ride. I had heard that some people experience motion sickness on the ride and in my "fragile" state I was concerned I might be pushed over the edge.

The queue was beautiful! I almost wished we had a longer wait so we could stand around and enjoy what Disney had created for us. One thing I do wonder about is if there is an accessible entrance to this ride? It is a bit of a climb and I wonder if there is an alternate entrance for those physically unable to do it due to a disability but still physically able to ride the ride. Does anybody here know?

I didn't take any pictures of the indoors queue as we were moving very quickly, we didn't come to a stop until the final part of the queue where you wait to go into the pre-show room.

The pre-show was fun the first time through but it is long so with repeat rides I can see how it can become tiresome. It does the job though of explaining the idea behind the ride and the world of Avatar for those who have not seen the movie which is important in order to get the whole picture of the ride. The ride would be fun though even if you didn't know anything about the movie and the world it takes place in.

I was nervous when we finally got led into the area with the ride vehicle. Even though we had tried out the seat they have outside that morning I was still a bit nervous about how the restraints would feel and fit. I fit no problem and it wasn't uncomfortable like I thought it might be. They had to push on Mom's back restraint a bit to get it to lock but I think that had more to do with how her back was arched than anything else.

I liked that they had spacious cubbies behind each seat to store your bags as I also had worried about where they make you stow your stuff while you ride. I know it sounds like I was worrying about a lot of things but I always get nervous/anxious when going on a new ride.

I have one word to describe the ride, AMAZING! I LOVED IT!!! I did feel a bit sick during the ride but that was more due to my illness than to the motion of the ride. This is my new favourite ride at WDW. I was so glad that I got out of my sick bed to make it to this fastpass. If you haven't been on Flight of Passage yet and you wonder if it is worth the effort to get the fastpass or rope drop it, the answer is 100% yes! I was so glad that I had been able to book more fastpasses for it on our last day of the trip as it would have been really sad to get to ride it only once.

After the ride I needed to rest for a few minutes. I considered grabbing a table at Satu'li Canteen but it was fairly busy and I wasn't ready to eat so we moved on.

There was a beautiful rainbow that evening which made Pandora even more gorgeous.

Since I needed to sit down and rest we decided to watch the Drum Ceremony as it was about to start its last show of the day. We were able to grab some seats front and centre.

I enjoyed the show and as you can tell from the kids in the second video they did too. :laughing:

I wanted to stay in the park to see Pandora at night so we had some time to kill after the show. We decided to grab dinner at Pizzafari as I wasn't feeling adventurous enough for Satu'li that evening. I am a fairly picky eater and this was not the night to test myself.

Pizzafari was almost empty at this time of night so we did not have to wait long for our food. I wanted to eat outside as I found it too cold in the air conditioning.

I had to try the Cannoli Cake as I love cannoli.

I only ended up eating about half of my dinner, in hindsight mom and I should have just split a pizza.

The cannoli cake was alright. The cake itself was good but the cannoli on top was soggy instead of the crispness you want in a cannoli shell.

We sat at the table for a bit after we finished eating waiting for it to get dark and then we made our way back into Pandora. It was really cool seeing the "bioluminescence" of Pandora although it was really dark which sometimes made it tricky getting around and it was also fairly crowded. I suppose it has to be fairly dark in order for the bioluminescence effect to really be pronounced.

There were several photopass photographers out and they were very busy but efficient as they kept the lines moving quickly.

After doing our circuit around Pandora we made our way out and towards the Tree of Life. I wanted to check out the gift shops since I hadn't had the chance earlier so Mom waited outside watching the Tree of Life Awakenings.

There was some cool Animal Kingdom 20th Anniversary merchandise and I found a shirt that I really liked but they only had it in small, medium, and XXL, 3X. No large or x-large which were often the sizes I found missing when looking at various shirts, perhaps they are the most popular sizes? I figured I would keep my eye out for it in the other Animal Kingdom gift shops as well in hopes that they would have it in my size.

Having found nothing else in the shops that caught my interest I rejoined Mom outside where I saw part of the Awakenings show and we grabbed some photopass photos.

It was then back to bed for a good nights sleep. No need to wake up early in the morning as it was our "day off" so all we had planned was a trip to Disney Springs and dinner at Jiko. I went to sleep hoping that I would wake up feeling good as new.

Caught up. I just got back from Disney World the other day and miss it already. I totally get the being sick at Disney feeling. I got sick myself last week and it is the pits.

I hope you had a good trip aside from getting sick.

I always miss Disney. I start missing it before I even leave the resort on departure morning. :laughing:

haven't done Pandora as I have an issue with motion sickness and those kind of rides. I can't even ride Soarin' without turning a lovely shade of green. I do like the area and the Na'vi ride so that is fine with me. I wanted to do the bird show but time got away from me unfortunately. I don't like birds but I love taking pictures of them.

Awwww, yeah, Flight of Passage would most definitely make you sick if you feel ill even on Soarin'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter