Mediterranean Cruise

cgiaimo

Earning My Ears
We recently booked a 7 day Mediterranean Cruise for next June 2. We are Gold and all our previous cruises have been to the Caribbean. One of the things I've liked most about the Caribbean cruises are the warm weather, the beaches and sea days. I am reading that the Med cruises are very port intensive and we are excited to see the sights in Italy and France, but I am wondering if there are still opportunities to relax or even visit a beach while on the cruise. There are two sea days so I know we'll have some boat time on those days, but does anyone have any suggestions on half day port activities or any decent beaches near the ports that might be good to go to? Are port days literally up and out by 7am and back right before dinner? Also, any feedback on weather and temps in early June? Thanks!

There are good beaches in Barcelona. You could go at least a day early, which I recommend anyway. There are beaches in S France (aka the French Rivera) and also near le spezia/Pisa. Most do not spend much time on beaches as they have made an expensive flight to see Europe. Some excursions are all day such as Rome bc of distance. Barcelona precruise and S France make the most sense as beach days imho. S france will have spring weather. B will be warmer as will S Italy.
Of course you could also go to Capri or sorrento. But I would go see Pompeii.
The med is a different experience than the Carib. Tons of architecture and history. Different but fabulous.
With kids, we try to alternate big day with 1/2 day.

Agree with Ido, above. Barcelona does have beaches, so go a day or two early, if possible. We, however, concentrated on the touristy sites/ruins/cathedrals/cool Italian shore towns, without doing a beach...not enough time. Also, our Monte Carlo port was closed because of choppy waves (it is the only tendering port) and we wound up in Marseilles instead, not a bad option. We doubled up with a WBTA (B2B), so that we could relax after the rather hectic, yet self-induced, Med. cruise.

There is a nice sand beach in Villefranche, just on the end of town by the stairs to the train station. The beach in Nice is stones, but still a beach.

port days are dawn to dusk. long. really long and we were beat to make it to dinner after a super long day (but glad we switched to early dining because no way i could have stayed awake until late dining!). our cruise was in september, it was SUPER humid. i live in texas and i kept focusing on the temperatures thinking it wasn't as hot as it is here in the summer, but it was sticky humid like you really wouldn't want to wear something twice without washing it! i did lay out in the sun on the sea days by the funnel vision, but just to relax and sleep! we had a great time but really didn't anticipate how truly busy this cruise potentially is.

Like sambycat said. We were exhausted each day. We could have done less. But think of a buffet with all of your very fav foods. Hard to pass up. Europe is chock full of great history towns architecture and we wanted to see it all!
You can do as much or little as you want. But you’ll want to do lots. It’s not like a Carib cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter