Mederma or Vitamin E, Which works better?

DawnCt1

<font color=red>I had to wonder what "holiday" he
Vitamin E applied directly to a scar or Mederma? What is your experience?

from my experience vitamin e works better. though i am sure you will get plenty from both sides. and brighter side...vitamin e is cheaper.

from my experience vitamin e works better. though i am sure you will get plenty from both sides. and brighter side...vitamin e is cheaper.

Thats for sure! How many times per day do you apply it?

I used Mederma on my Thyroid scar. It worked GREAT. I had tried vit E prior to that and I wasn't convinced it was doing anything (now watch someone tell me Mederma is just vit e...).

I would spring for the Mederma.

When I worked in the OR, every single plastic surgeon told me that Vit E was the best. I've used it before and am a believer. But it wont work on an old scar. That's where the other stuff comes in if I'm not mistaken.

I used Mederma on my Thyroid scar. It worked GREAT. I had tried vit E prior to that and I wasn't convinced it was doing anything (now watch someone tell me Mederma is just vit e...).

I would spring for the Mederma.
I'm not 100% sure but I think there is some extract from onion skin included in the Mederma. I have some, but I'm in a non walking cast right now after surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago and truthfully, I just don't feel like getting up on crutches and checking the tube. :bitelip:

I've had good luck with Mederma (well, CVS mederma) on a surgery scar (new), but was underwhelmed by vit. e on a burn scar (newish).

I used Vitamin E on a scar on my hand and it healed great!

make sure you keep that scar out of the sun if its in a noticeable place. I got this info from a plastic surgeon when me and dd were in a car accident she had 50+ stitches in her face.. I applied SPF 90 (okay I exaggerated a little) and we only went in the sun for short periods of time in the evening.. it worked and now the very large scar on her face is hardly noticeable. we never used anything special on her face.. just no sun.

Mederma didn't do a thing for me. Maybe it depends on your skin.

And yes, Mederma is made from something in onions.

Vitamin E worked extremely well for a very, very nasty scar on my nephews face..

Vitamin E isn't working for my 8 inch scar down my thigh and shin. It just made it look more purple. It's actually fading really well.
Everyone's skin is different, so what may work for some doesn't work for others. But, you never know until you try.

I have three major scars. One I used vitamin E on and the other two I used Mederma. The Mederma scars are quite noticeably better looking. I have started using it on the first scar and am hoping to change its appearance. My surgeons all different, suggested the Mederma above Vitamin E.

One of my scars is from a thyroidectomy and its pretty new and barely noticeable. I truly believe how we all heal individually has a huge bearing as well as the surgeon that closed you up. The Mederma is a bonus.:thumbsup2

I used Mederma on my thyroid scar, and it was amazing. I applied it several times during the day, when I remembered. And while others I know who've had the same surgery have noticeable scars, mine is invisible! Mind you, I also took extra precautions and applied sunscreen liberally, so that may have also been a factor why I healed up so well.

I used Mederma on my thyroid scar, and it was amazing. I applied it several times during the day, when I remembered. And while others I know who've had the same surgery have noticeable scars, mine is invisible! Mind you, I also took extra precautions and applied sunscreen liberally, so that may have also been a factor why I healed up so well.

Wow...this thread is all the way from 2008. DawnCt1 hasn't been around these boards in years. o_O

Wow...this thread is all the way from 2008. DawnCt1 hasn't been around these boards in years. o_O

Yeah, when I saw her and c.Ann I knew it was a very old thread.

But, to answer the question, when I had Mohs surgery on the skin cancer on my face I used Scar Away patches, the clear ones, and they worked great.

Does anyone know why these old threads keep popping up when you click on "New Posts"? This is like the third one I've replied to in a week. I guess I have to start paying attention to the dates, but still. When you're eager to answer someone's question it's easy to overlook!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter