meatloaf recipe for low carb diet

Hi, I'm on the Weight Watchers Core Plan which is a diet that only allows good carbs. They suggest making meatloaf with oatmeal instead of using breadcrumbs. You can also make your own breadcrumbs with whole wheat bread if you are feeling creative. Good Luck. Let me know if you make it.

Do you have a recipe that you like that you could modify? Decrease, substitute for bread crumbs and increase onions, mushrooms, garlic, green and red peppers, etc?

Here's a good low carb meatloaf I've been making for almost two years. Even the non-low carbers in my family love it. My daughter-in-law even requested it for her birthday dinner. I usually double the recipe.

Mexicali Meatloaf

1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. mild pork sausage
1 c. crushed pork rinds (you'll never know they're there)
4 1/2 oz. diced mild green chilies
1 medium onion, finely chopped
8 oz. Monterey jack cheese, cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch cubes or shredded
3/4 c. salsa (mild, medium, hot, as desired)
1 egg
2 or 3 cloves of garlic
2 t. dried oregano
2 t. ground cumin
1 t. salt or Vege-Sal

Preheat the oven to 350. Combine all these ingredients in a really big bowl and then, with clean hands, knead it all until it's thoroughly blended. Dump it out on a clean broiler rack and form into a loaf -- it'll be a big loaf -- about 3 inches thick. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.

NOTE: Do chop the onion quite fine for your meat loaves. If it's in pieces that are too big, it tends to make the loaf fall apart when you cut it. The Mexicali Meat Loaf may crumble a bit anyway, because it's quite tender.

Yield: 8 servings, each with 5 grams of carbohydrates and 1 gram of fiber, for a total of 4 grams of usable carbs and 28 grams of protein.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter