Mears

bocaj1431

DIS Veteran
A few years back we used the Mears shuttle service from MCO to our DW hotel and then for trip back to MCO. We chose this over DME because it was a quicker process and was a great deal compared to using a taxi or car service. One year we took DME to the airport and barely made it through security in time for the flight due to extremely long lines. That is why we switched to the shuttle.

I just called mears to book the shuttle and was told they now have a contract with DW which bars them from providing shuttles to the hotels. She said this is due to DW offering DME. My only option with Mears was to upgrade to car service. Have any of you heard about this?

A few years back we used the Mears shuttle service from MCO to our DW hotel and then for trip back to MCO. We chose this over DME because it was a quicker process and was a great deal compared to using a taxi or car service. One year we took DME to the airport and barely made it through security in time for the flight due to extremely long lines. That is why we switched to the shuttle.

I just called mears to book the shuttle and was told they now have a contract with DW which bars them from providing shuttles to the hotels. She said this is due to DW offering DME. My only option with Mears was to upgrade to car service. Have any of you heard about this?

How many years since you've been? Mears has been operating DME for quite some time. I can't remember last time I saw one of their shuttles at hotel.

Have you considered a Minnie Van?

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...port-to-from-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels/

Once Disney started DME, they no longer allowed Mears to shuttle from MCO to Disney owned resorts. That was a looooong time ago. Mears does operate DME for Disney, so they aren't losing any money.
There are other options now... DME, private car services, MinnieVans, Uber/Lyft. If you are concerned about cutting it too close for your departure time, you can always ask for an earlier DME pick up time. Or, just use Uber/Lyft.

How soon before flight time did your Mears shuttle pick you up at your (non-Disney's) hotel?

How soon before flight time did Magical Express pick you up that time when you got to the plane too close for comfort?

A request for an earlier Magical Express pickup back to the airport, made timely, is always granted. Normal deadline is morning of the day before the day you will depart. At that time you will (should) have your DME reservation paper which you will need to have amended in writing if you make/need a change then.

Last edited:
If you're really intent on avoiding Disney's Magical Express and using a shared-ride shuttle, you can use Super Shuttle. They do operate out of the Orlando International Airport.

https://www.supershuttle.com/locations/
That said, I'd call it a huge waste of money. Your experience on Disney's Magical Express was an outlier. Most guests arrive with ample time to go through check-in and security.

If your only concern is not getting to the airport in time, just follow seashoreCM's advice. Just request an earlier ride to the airport.

How many people in your party I know you can get a private vehicle for like $75 through Tiffany Towncars?
There is just the two of us. When we used the shuttle it was approximately $75 round trip. I was just hoping to find something in that price range. Thanks for the tip.

How many years since you've been? Mears has been operating DME for quite some time. I can't remember last time I saw one of their shuttles at hotel.

Have you considered a Minnie Van?

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...port-to-from-walt-disney-world-resort-hotels/

I’d say it was maybe 5-6 years ago. I did look at the Minnie Van but they are expensive for their trips from the airport. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Once Disney started DME, they no longer allowed Mears to shuttle from MCO to Disney owned resorts. That was a looooong time ago. Mears does operate DME for Disney, so they aren't losing any money.
There are other options now... DME, private car services, MinnieVans, Uber/Lyft. If you are concerned about cutting it too close for your departure time, you can always ask for an earlier DME pick up time. Or, just use Uber/Lyft.

Since my original post, I learned that mears does still have a shuttle service but it no longer offers services to the DW properties ( as you explained) but does go to all other hotels.

I’m definitely going to either change the time or try Lyft. Thanks!

How soon before flight time did your Mears shuttle pick you up at your (non-Disney's) hotel?

How soon before flight time did Magical Express pick you up that time when you got to the plane too close for comfort?

A request for an earlier Magical Express pickup back to the airport, made timely, is always granted. Normal deadline is morning of the day before the day you will depart. At that time you will (should) have your DME reservation paper which you will need to have amended in writing if you make/need a change then.

I do not remember the exact time because it was s
About 5 years ago but I remember that it was much easier and quicker than DME.
The bus for DME picked us up at I believe 2 1/2 to 3 hours before the flight. There were a lot of stops prior to heading to the airport but the main problem was the security check took much longer than normal. We got there hoping to grab a snack but had just enough time to get on the plane. My son has Autism so being rushed like that is a VERY bad combination otherwise we would not have cared.

I’m definitely going to either try your tip about changing times or use Lyft. :)

Now that Disney offers Minnie van service to MCO Mears can not offer their own shuttle.
MinnieVans have nothing to do with the agreement (contract?) between Disney and Mears. Once Magical Express started, Mears no longer provides reserved transportation between WDW and MCO.

... The bus for DME picked us up at I believe 2 1/2 to 3 hours before the flight. There were a lot of stops prior to heading to the airport ...
This is enough to make the trip an outlier/aberration.

While the sweet spot for Magical Express is 3 hours give or take a little prior to your flight, the "2-3/4 hour" pickup should be the last stop.

An earlier bus is an excellent idea if there are persons with disabilities.

For the many of you eavedroppers who forsake DME because the pickup seems so early resulting in hours of sitting around the airport, much anxiety can still be avoided by requesting the even earlier time and planning to do your last meal at the airport as opposed to hoping to grab a snack. The primary circumstance when alternate transportation back to the airport saves significant time is for those who can leave a park to go directly to the airport.

Mears will still provide (or cause to be provided) transportation at their normal or more consumer friendly shuttle rates and scheduling from MCO to Disney's resorts with no reservations. Going back to the airport, Mears's regular shuttle also requires an advance reservation so there is no difference using that from resorts they normally serve compared with using DME from Disney's resorts.

Last edited:
Uber or Lyft would be about half the price of a car service. You can check the comparative prices on RideGuru.com
I didn’t know about ride guru. I’ll have to check them out. Great tip.

For the many of you eavedroppers who forsake DME because the pickup seems so early resulting in hours of sitting around the airport, much anxiety can still be avoided by requesting the even earlier time and planning to do your last meal at the airport as opposed to hoping to grab a snack. The primary circumstance when alternate transportation back to the airport saves significant time is for those who can leave a park to go directly to the airport.

We are definitely the sit around and wait type for flight departure. For us, not having to rush and having time to have a meal before the flight works best. But I can see how for most they would prefer to be as close to flight time as possible with very little time left waiting at the airport.

My return flight departs 3 hours and 29 minutes after my scheduled pick up time from the resort. I called DME and the person I spoke with refused to change to the next pick up time, which would be 2 hours and 59 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Should I try calling again? I thought I recalled someone saying that they just reported a different flight, as DME has no way of knowing if you are booked on a flight or not. One minute for DME is 29 minutes more for me at WDW and 29 fewer minutes spent sitting at MCO.

My return flight departs 3 hours and 29 minutes after my scheduled pick up time from the resort. I called DME and the person I spoke with refused to change to the next pick up time, which would be 2 hours and 59 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Should I try calling again? I thought I recalled someone saying that they just reported a different flight, as DME has no way of knowing if you are booked on a flight or not. One minute for DME is 29 minutes more for me at WDW and 29 fewer minutes spent sitting at MCO.

People definitely give "fake" flight numbers to DME if they want to push their DME time to later (and push the envelope on their flight), or just need to get to MCO but aren't actually flying out that day.

Bear in mind that there's only so far you can push it, as there's only so many flights after 10pm (so latest DME pickup anywhere may be 7:00 or 7:30), but yes, you can elect to "fake out" the system. Naturally, Disney or Mears wouldn't be liable for you missing your flight if you did so.

People definitely give "fake" flight numbers to DME if they want to push their DME time to later (and push the envelope on their flight), or just need to get to MCO but aren't actually flying out that day.

Bear in mind that there's only so far you can push it, as there's only so many flights after 10pm (so latest DME pickup anywhere may be 7:00 or 7:30), but yes, you can elect to "fake out" the system. Naturally, Disney or Mears wouldn't be liable for you missing your flight if you did so.
Thanks -this is just hat I wanted to confirm. I am just looking to get to MCO at 3 hours prior to departure.

Thanks -this is just hat I wanted to confirm. I am just looking to get to MCO at 3 hours prior to departure.
Then you DO want the three hour and 29 minutes pickup. A two hour and 59 minute pickup simply can't get you to the airport at three hours. The buses can't go back in time - T.A.R.D.I.S., The Time Michine, Back to the Future are all fiction.

Did you call reservations? Or the direct DME line?

Then you DO want the three hour and 29 minutes pickup. A two hour and 59 minute pickup simply can't get you to the airport at three hours. The buses can't go back in time - T.A.R.D.I.S., The Time Michine, Back to the Future are all fiction.

Did you call reservations? Or the direct DME line?
I meant to leave for MCO approximately three hours prior to scheduled departure. There is no way I would want to spend three hours at MCO waiting for my flight!!!

Going back to the airport, Mears's regular shuttle also requires an advance reservation so there is no difference using that from resorts they normally serve compared with using DME from Disney's resorts.

I haven't been in 20 years, but scheduling a bus/ride/shuttle back to Orlando airport on DME sounds just like the old MEARS: Call a day before and schedule one. If you want a little extra time at the airport you can schedule it, right, or will they limit how early they'll pick you up for a flight? The last 2 times I was down there I always made sure to schedule one so that I had plenty of time to get through airport security....which, if memory serves, was around 3 hours before the flight.

From early 2020 through to the present (early 2021 at least) Mears has discontinued or at least drastically cut back their well known shuttle (bus and van) service. They still offer private car service. including to/from Disney's resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter