Meanwhile Back at Wizard City.....

aliceblue

DIS Veteran
(Note: I started this thread as a free player, but have long since been unlocking the game with crowns. Still, I hope it has some value; it's become a log of the game changes that convinced me to become a paying player.)

.....the story continues!

All is not lost for those of us with limited accounts who are keeping the home fires burning. It's a different game, but it can still be quite a bit of fun.

If you have not made yourself a primary Myth wizard yet, this is a great choice to keep the game interesting. You get two minions very early on, and it's just a blast fighting with them, whether it's in the streets or hammering the bosses on Triton Avenue. (If it requires access to any blocked areas, I'm guessing the third minion may be out of reach.) I'm inching my Myth wizard up to level 12 so she can get her Sprite healing spell from her secondary school.

Keep in mind that with limited bosses to battle, some of these areas are getting very crowded. If you'd rather fight alone to get maximum XP, you might want to concentrate on Sergeant SkullSplitter or the Harvest Lord, and change realms when needed.

The Kraken has become the most popular dude on Triton Ave. If you battle him when most others are on, be prepared for a free-for-all, especially in any of the Ambrose areas. This can be fun if you know what to expect. My Life Wizard is finally getting to use her Unicorn Spell!

I never spent much time repeating boss battles during beta; I was too focused on progressing with the quests. Without that pressure, I find I'm learning a lot more. The challenge is no longer to knock the enemies out fast, but to make the battles last as long as possible.

In general, the game has a more laid-back feel, and I'm content to stay on for shorter chunks of time. I'm spending gold on frivolous things like dying my clothes; something I never would have considered before.

How about the rest of you? Anyone else still enjoying their free account?

I haven't been on for a few days.... maybe I'll wander back in for some battles with a new perspective.

I've gotten very distracted by the new release of SmallWorlds, but I still intend to visit Wizard City from time to time. (Hey, if nothing else, I'm accumulating an awesome wardrobe!)

I thought it might be nice to start a separate list, in case any of us want to keep an eye out for each other. (Diva of Dragon's list has everyone, but does not indicate which players are in Wizard City only.)

My wizards are:

Tara WillowBreeze (Life/Storm)
Cassandra DreamSinger (Myth/Life)
Alyssa StormSinger (Storm/Life)
Chelsea GreenFlame (Life/Fire)

The following is a work in progress; I will update it as I get additional information. (Input would be greatly appreciated!)

For anyone who is deciding what kind of wizard to make, I thought it might be helpful to start a list of how each school is impacted by not having access to Cyclops Lane, Firecat Alley and Colossus Blvd. While some of this is obvious, (no advancement to the next worlds), it does play out a little differently for some of them, depending on the requirements of the quest that is triggered upon reaching level 12. (A "special" quest at this point seems to be a common denominator for all of the schools.)

Note that the quests which can be completed in the free areas will only take you to level 10, assuming you did not have access to the other streets previously. After that, higher levels can only be achieved by repeated battles, and the bosses on Triton Ave. are good choices for that.

Life wizards will not be able to get the following spells for their school:

Nature's Wrath (uncompletable level 12 quest)
Life Prism (reward for completing Wizard City)
Sprite Guardian? (minion) (apparently a quest given at level 18, so likely to be impacted)
Life Blade (reward for completing Krokotopia)
Guiding Light (reward for completing Marleybone)
Life Trap (available from hidden trainer on Colossus Blvd.)
Calm (available from the Death teacher in Nightside)
Drain Health (available in Marleybone)

Storm wizards will not be able to get the following spells for their school:

Water Elemental (minion) (a quest given at level 18 requiring access to Krokotopia)
Wild Bolt (reward given for completing Marleybone)
Dissipate (available from hidden trainer on Colossus Blvd.)
Soothe (available from the Death teacher in Nightside)
Sap Power (available in Marleybone)

Note: Storm is the only school I have found so far which is able to complete their level 12 spell quest. The reward for this is Storm Blade.

Myth wizards will not be able to get the following spells for their school:

Myth Blade (uncompletable level 12 quest)
Myth Prism (reward for finding the Sixth School)
Subdue (available from the Death teacher in Nightside)

Fire wizards will not be able to get the following spells for their school:

Ice wizards will not be able to get the following spells for their school:

Balance wizards will not be able to get the following spells for their school:

Death wizards will not be able to get the following spells for their school:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The lack of these spells will certainly not keep you from enjoying Wizard City. But if there are certain spells you especially like, knowing which can be ultimately obtained may help when it comes to creating a new wizard.

I have not seen this change posted anywhere, on any forum, and I hardly dare to breathe a word of it for fear that it will vanish like a wisp.

After handing out candy tonight I logged on and made a late-night run through the towers. When I emerged, I saw two players chatting casually with each other. I mean, obviously choosing their own words! I was stunned; it felt so strange to see real conversation in the game. I checked my chat status and sure enough, my ability to text chat is back. I had to check my account settings to be sure I wasn't dreaming.

What an amazing day this has been! It might as well have been Christmas as far as I'm concerned. :wizard:

Oh I hope that last for you!! That drop down chat just never says what you want to!

I have not seen this change posted anywhere, on any forum, and I hardly dare to breathe a word of it for fear that it will vanish like a wisp.

After handing out candy tonight I logged on and made a late-night run through the towers. When I emerged, I saw two players chatting casually with each other. I mean, obviously choosing their own words! I was stunned; it felt so strange to see real conversation in the game. I checked my chat status and sure enough, my ability to text chat is back. I had to check my account settings to be sure I wasn't dreaming.

What an amazing day this has been! It might as well have been Christmas as far as I'm concerned. :wizard:

This was one of the reasons I have not played in a long time. Not being able to answer people when they talk to you was really getting to me. Maybe I will try this again.:yay:

On the upside, having to live with the menu chat these past months has given me a real appreciation for what the kids have to work with. (This was especially irritating in a group battle, because my chat would leave out most of the options, including "thank you".) I sincerely hope that somewhere down the line KingsIsle will improve this interface.

Oh wow, thanks for the info. Maybe I will venture to Wizard City, hated being unable to speak normal.

Well, I'm thoroughly confused about the chat situation now.

I can see the text chat of all players, but apparently there is no way to text chat to them unless they are on my friends list. Is this the way it's supposed to work? I don't remember it being that way in beta; the last thing I remember is a text chat window that stayed at the bottom of the screen.

Any other adult free players experiencing this "halfway" chat?

I don't have the "no chat" sign over my head any more, so others assume I can chat freely. I feel pretty silly not being able to answer.

Am I missing something obvious in the interface?

Well, I'm thoroughly confused about the chat situation now.

I can see the text chat of all players, but apparently there is no way to text chat to them unless they are on my friends list. Is this the way it's supposed to work? I don't remember it being that way in beta; the last thing I remember is a text chat window that stayed at the bottom of the screen.

Any other adult free players experiencing this "halfway" chat?

I don't have the "no chat" sign over my head any more, so others assume I can chat freely. I feel pretty silly not being able to answer.

Am I missing something obvious in the interface?

Try using the letter O to open a chat box, which will be down at bottom of screen, I think. Or the enter key. If you are trying to reply to someone who text chat to you, you can use the R key to reply.

Yes, all three of those methods do the trick! Thank you so much; I had completely forgotten how that works. :rolleyes:

I treated my Life wizard to a purchase of 2500 crowns. With it I was able to buy access to the two areas of Wizard City which had not been completed before Beta ended, with enough left over for entrance into Krok. She finally has her Nature's Wrath school spell, Life Prism, fairy minion and an extra potion bottle, not to mention additional quests to work on. I can also have my other wizards teleport to her for getting drops from Lord Nightshade. Woohoo! :cool1:

Received this "Royal Hat" on my Myth wizard today from fighting Lord Nightshade:

20081216164414gh0.jpg
20081216164514us9.jpg

20081216164151yf8.jpg

No stats for this hat; it sells for 0 gold and costs 50 to dye. (It was orange when I received it.) Others have reported similar clothing items for boys, with "Celestial" in the title.

Very pretty, I think. Reminds me of the "Pink Princess Minnie hat" from VMK. princess:

How pretty AliceBlue!!
I love it!
Congrats to you on getting the areas that were not open.

woot AliceBlue!

You look lava! Remember its better to look good than to feel good and let me tell you...

You... Look... MAaaarvelous!

That Royal Hat, would go great with the Royal Robe I won.

I want that Celestial Robe with the Angel Wings!

So far Nightshade has given me a Santa Hat, Royal Robe and Lady Rocco! :lmao:

holidaydropsfromnightshade.jpg

Woot, Fly! I knew there was a royal robe out there but had not seen a picture yet; thanks for posting.

As usual, I am behind in these matters. :lmao: Where exactly do you get these cool drops of princess hats and robes? I have never seen any players wearing them before. Gorgeous!:wizard:

Lord Nightshade seems to be about the best boss for dropping holiday items.

He is death with a storm minion.

You can find him at the end of the Haunted Cave, which is at the end of Triton Ave.

Be prepared to fight him many times to get any of the holiday items or a pet!

Make sure you have plenty of room in your backpack and bank. It is awful when you lose stuff because your inventory is full! Also if you fight him a lot of times in a row it is a pain to go back to the store and sell stuff and then run all the way back to the end of the cave.

Good luck, and if anybody wins that Celestial Robe, I want to see a picture!

Fly :hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter