• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Meal plans....

BostonTigger

<font color=purple>I want the Swiss Family Treehou
I find that most of the time piece-mealing a trip to WDW is cheaper than buying into a package. However, I was curious to know about the meal plans...what are those like? Are they any good, or should I stick with buying my own meals? I'm just trying to figure out whether it worth it to purchase one of these meal plans. I would love some insight from those who have tried these before. Thanks.

Steven

Steven,
I too was trying to figure this out. I will share with you what I was told by a CRO. I could upgrade my package to a Discovery Magic package (which would be 2 wishes per person per day) for $1987 for the 6 nights of our stay for 2 adults 3 children (10, 8 & 4.) Equates to $331 a day or $66 a person a day or $33 a wish. We could use a wish per person for the Hoop Dee Doo, golf, boat rentals, and other meals and things too. I personally think in the end it would cost us more to do it this way. It is costing all 5 of us $153 to do HDD without wishes it would cost us $33x5 to use a wish, so that is $165. Maybe I am looking at this wrong, but it would cost us 1 wish ($33) to rent a mouse boat or $20 cash? Maybe someone else knows more, it would seem like it should be worth it because so many people seem to use it. Sorry I am so long winded I was trying to tell myself also.
:) Christi

I have been told that everything will be cheaper if we do it a la carte... But I think what the packages offer is convenience--no more finding cash, no more calculating how much you have spent today--since everything has been paid for. Also, if you use all your wishes on meals, I think it would be a good bargain, since taxes and tips are all included (isn't it?)

I have been told that everything will be cheaper if we do it a la carte... But I think what the packages offer is convenience--no more finding cash, no more calculating how much you have spent today--since everything has been paid for. Also, if you use all your wishes on meals, I think it would be a good bargain, since taxes and tips are all included (isn't it?)

We are discovery magic fans - used it first in Nov. 2000 and will use it again for our trip coming up in May...

We are careful for what and where we use our "wishes" - for meals that will cost us over $30 each (we also used it for Cirque and the gardens tour last time). We plan on using it for meals only this time. We added up our receipts after our Nov. 2000 trip and definitely believe we got more than our money's worth out of it, and can understand now why some restaurants require 2 wishes per per to eat there. We are also looking forward to reserved Illuminations and MK fireworks viewing...if only they'd post those May hours!

I would recommend this plan if:

You enjoy eating at least 2 sit down meals each day at the more expensive restaurants - or enjoy doing tours or will be doing Cirque du Solei

There are no children who order solely off the kid's menu - If your kids are older and have adventurous appetites this plan could help save some money...

You will utilize the "ultimate park hopper pass" - spending time at the water parks or going to Disneyquest or pleasure island more than a few times during your stay

I would not recommend this plan if:

You are a family of non-adventurous eaters...or have young children. I understand that there is different pricing for children 10 and under on this plan, however I still don't think there is anyway of really getting your money's worth ordering off the kids menu...I also don't think you can have the adults on Discover Magic and the kids not on it.

I would be happy to answer any questions on this plan -

take care,
LA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter