ME, activate AP, then check in?

Kari2684

Earning My Ears
I wasn't sure where to ask this question...I'm sorry if it has to be moved.
I *finally* got it in me to purchase an AP and have an amazing solo trip planned Sept 25-Oct 5. Split stays, details and all of that not necessary for this question. I'm staying at the Yacht Club with an AP rate (called and got that today!!!), but have a voucher for my AP I will activate that day (plan is to walk over to IG). My question, I was hoping to take ME from MCO to the Yacht Club...but I can't check in until I have an activated AP correct? Can I take the ME to Yacht club, not check in and then turn around and check in? Since I have an AP rate does this also mean I can't do online check in? OR can I go through the normal routine of online check in, take ME, walk over to IG and activate AP?

I *finally* got it in me to purchase an AP and have an amazing solo trip planned Sept 25-Oct 5. Split stays, details and all of that not necessary for this question. I'm staying at the Yacht Club with an AP rate (called and got that today!!!), but have a voucher for my AP I will activate that day (plan is to walk over to IG). My question, I was hoping to take ME from MCO to the Yacht Club...but I can't check in until I have an activated AP correct?

No. We've always been able to check in without our APs activated yet. We just swing by once they are, and sometimes it's not even necessary to do that.

Can I take the ME to Yacht club, not check in and then turn around and check in?

Sure, if that's what you want to do.

Since I have an AP rate does this also mean I can't do online check in?

No it does not. You most definitely CAN do Online Check in.

OR can I go through the normal routine of online check in, take ME, walk over to IG and activate AP?

Definitely. If they absolutely need to see your activated AP, they will call you. But most likely not as once it's activated, it will show as Active in your MDE account.

Once an AP is purchased, it will show in the MDE/Disney app and it will be linked to your Magic Band.
I did online check-in, took the ME, and opened the room with my Magic Band before the AP was activated.
The following day I went to the park, showed my ID and magic band to a person in the booth. She typed up something and then issued me a plastic card with my name written on it. I've been using that card to get AP discount on souvenirs.
Note: I'm not sure if they still offer a free magic band with an AP purchase. Back then I was able to get a separate AP band in addition to the resort band.

Note: I'm not sure if they still offer a free magic band with an AP purchase. Back then I was able to get a separate AP band in addition to the resort band.
You still get a new MB with a new or renewed AP. You just can't customize it with your name and have it sent out until you have actually used your AP to enter a park.

Dave

I can only assume it's because it shows on MDE but in all the years we've had an AP and on all the rooms we've checked in to, hundreds with all the split stays I do, we've never been asked to show our AP. Even way back to the first one we had. And including all the times we've been here and renewed during the trip.

I'd be very shocked if they ask for your actual pass

I can only assume it's because it shows on MDE but in all the years we've had an AP and on all the rooms we've checked in to, hundreds with all the split stays I do, we've never been asked to show our AP. Even way back to the first one we had. And including all the times we've been here and renewed during the trip.

I'd be very shocked if they ask for your actual pass

Thank you, that’s what I had figured and read for years on here. In the past, I haven’t had a voucher and it’s been about 10 years since my last AP.
My voucher shows on my MDE, but I got a bit nervous Tuesday when I couldn’t see any AP rates...and the CM helping me book AP rates was rather insistent on me activating before checking in to secure the rates 🤷🏼‍♀️

You still get a new MB with a new or renewed AP. You just can't customize it with your name and have it sent out until you have actually used your AP to enter a park.

Dave
I think things might have changed. I ordered APs for my niece and her husband and they're linked to our resort reservation. I just got the customized magic bands this week and they haven't used their APs yet.

We purchased APs last December, checked into BC (room was ready at noon) and went out a couple of hours later to activate APs and buy TiW. You don't need it to check in. I don't recall if we got a special AP rate - probably not, it was over the Christmas holidays - but I would assume that you would only need to show your AP voucher. Given that you're able to book various things and get the discount as well as get FPs 60 days in advance just with the voucher, I can't see why you'd have to activate it first for a room discount.

I *finally* got it in me to purchase an AP and have an amazing solo trip planned Sept 25-Oct 5. Split stays, details and all of that not necessary for this question. I'm staying at the Yacht Club with an AP rate (called and got that today!!!), but have a voucher for my AP I will activate that day (plan is to walk over to IG). My question, I was hoping to take ME from MCO to the Yacht Club...but I can't check in until I have an activated AP correct? Can I take the ME to Yacht club, not check in and then turn around and check in? Since I have an AP rate does this also mean I can't do online check in? OR can I go through the normal routine of online check in, take ME, walk over to IG and activate AP?
Just do everything like you would if it were active. Then just make sure you activate it before entering the park

I think things might have changed. I ordered APs for my niece and her husband and they're linked to our resort reservation. I just got the customized magic bands this week and they haven't used their APs yet.
You got bands for the resort stay, not the AP's.

You got bands for the resort stay, not the AP's.
Right. But a post above said you couldn't get a personalized MB until you actually used your AP the first time. I'm saying I bought the AP, linked it to my resort stay, and got the personalized MB in the mail before using it the first time. Stills needs to be activated first but I did get the personalized band.

Right. But a post above said you couldn't get a personalized MB until you actually used your AP the first time. I'm saying I bought the AP, linked it to my resort stay, and got the personalized MB in the mail before using it the first time. Stills needs to be activated first but I did get the personalized band.
Nope... the magic band has nothing to do with the tickets you have, activated or not, AP or single ticket. Doesn't matter. I think they might be referring to the fact that AP holders get an automatic magic band regardless of a resort stay.

Nope... the magic band has nothing to do with the tickets you have, activated or not, AP or single ticket. Doesn't matter. I think they might be referring to the fact that AP holders get an automatic magic band regardless of a resort stay.
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense.

The magic band you received has nothing to do with your AP. You got it because of your resort stay. AP magic bands are not mailed until after you use your AP for the first time and have nothing to do with a resort stay.

The magic band you received has nothing to do with your AP. You got it because of your resort stay. AP magic bands are not mailed until after you use your AP for the first time and have nothing to do with a resort stay.
And to add to the possible confusion, both can be used for the same thing. The resort band will work to access parks using your AP and the band you order for your AP will open resort door

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter