ME- 4 Hours Before Departure Pickup!!!! Private Car Service?

Rachel GB

DIS Veteran
So I'm reading that ME is now picking you up at your resort FOUR HOURS prior to your departure time, given the higher crowds/ security waits at MCO. I'm sure there's a good reason for this, but it really makes me want to consider using a private car service instead! Does anyone have any experience with car service companies they would highly recommend? Thanks in advance!!!!

with TSA pre check and carry-on only, I was an hour and a half early (after security) for my flight on Tuesday. Two hours and a half early is a bit much. But knowing DME, there won't be any way to go later.

No, because the Private cars are too much money. We do use Uber though. We felt 3 hours was too much, so yeah, 4 is ridiculous

I swear I had about 2 hours to kill at MCO the last time I took DME to the airport....I just remember it being eternal.

I'll be using uber/lyft next month. That's just too early if you don't check luggage and have expedited security anyway.

DS5 and I used Florida Tours in August. We also have pre-check so 3 hours was a bit much and it was an early flight. Airport waiting is bad enough but with an active 5 year old-no just no. I love what AngiTN said about airport hours to real world hours.

Driver was on time and very courteous. The vehicle was very clean. He texted on his way to keep me up to date. I would use them again for sure we actually are on 11/27. It was $75 one way plus a $15 tip which is super expensive for my taste. But we are one of those who won't use UBER just due to safety concerns DH is retired law enforcement. I think UBER makes sense to use and so totally not judging. When it's just me and the little man though we just don't .

We use DME inbound now and the car service to get back to MCO.

Thank you for all of the input! :) We would need a service that provides a car seat and a booster seat, so that limits our choices a bit. We will have both carry-on and checked baggage, and we do not have TSA Pre-check. I have no personal experience with Lyft or Uber, although I have admittedly read a few horror stories about them on the blogs/ boards (but obviously have heard good things, as well!). I am a bit tempted to just deal with ME, though, given the extra cost associated with either a private transfer (received a quote of $200 round trip!!!!!) or even Uber/Lyft. I am appreciative of everyone's opinions!

The need for a car seat will limit your use of Uber/Lyft for sure.
Rules out Lyft, they have no car seats.
Uber Family will provide 1 5 point seat, but not 2. If you happen to have your own portable booster (such as a Bubblebum) then Uber Family could be a viable option if you wanted to consider it.

I swear I had about 2 hours to kill at MCO the last time I took DME to the airport....I just remember it being eternal.
Would you say that leaving resort via Uber 2 hours before flight time would be enough? Or should we leave Resort 3 hours before flight time? ( only carry ons) ... I think 4 hours before is WAY to much for DME!

Would you say that leaving resort via Uber 2 hours before flight time would be enough? Or should we leave Resort 3 hours before flight time? ( only carry ons) ... I think 4 hours before is WAY to much for DME!

@mousefan215 , this is a great question, and I look forward to hearing what people say!
We do have baggage to check, however, I think you can check your baggage at your resort prior to departure.

We always leave 2 hours before our flight, even during Orlando rush hour (adds 15 min to the drive). We do have PreCheck so we know our lines will be shorter.
I am also comfortable with reaching our gate with only enough time for a restroom break. I don't want or need to sit there and wait.

@mousefan215 , this is a great question, and I look forward to hearing what people say!
We do have baggage to check, however, I think you can check your baggage at your resort prior to departure.
You can if you have at least 3 hours before departure AND can check between the hours of 5 and noon (or 1, I forget what time it closes now)
So some people who depart at say, 7 AM can't use it.

You can if you have at least 3 hours before departure AND can check between the hours of 5 and noon (or 1, I forget what time it closes now)
So some people who depart at say, 7 AM can't use it.

@AngiTN , thank you again for your reply! We would be able to use it, which is great! For someone without pre-check, would you say three hours is necessary? I don't want to spend the day at the airport, haha, but I certainly don't want to be late for my flight! We'll be departing on a Monday afternoon.

@AngiTN , thank you again for your reply! We would be able to use it, which is great! For someone without pre-check, would you say three hours is necessary? I don't want to spend the day at the airport, haha, but I certainly don't want to be late for my flight! We'll be departing on a Monday afternoon.
If you are going right from Disney to MCO via Uber or other Hired Car, and not checking a bag at the airport no, 3 hours is still a bit more than needed but not by a lot. I probably wouldn't cut it to 2 hours though, since you can really hit a mixed bag at TSA at MCO.
Figure you have 30 min to MCO, at a minimum. Add 15 min at rush hour
TSA can take anywhere from 5 min to 55+ min, this is where you need the most time and why we got PreCheck quite honestly. It's never more than 15 min.
And also consider your airline. I think one of them has had construction to the terminal side. We haven't flown on any that have so I'm not sure, seems like JetBlue maybe? So there's been delays to use a tram too.
So, without PreCheck I'd probably still go with 2 1/2 hours, 3 hours if you have to check a bag at the airport.

what is precheck? It’s been a few years since I’ve flown, but we always do the early check in with Southwest, is that the same thing? Or is this something new?
We always leave 2 hours before our flight, even during Orlando rush hour (adds 15 min to the drive). We do have PreCheck so we know our lines will be shorter.
I am also comfortable with reaching our gate with only enough time for a restroom break. I don't want or need to sit there and wait.[/QUOT

I've just chatted with a Disney friend, and she recommended just eating/ shopping in the airport if we end up with some extra time there! Perhaps taking ME won't be so bad (and it's free)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!