MDE account for children of divorced parents

StarSeven7

DIS Veteran
My sister is divorced and our extended family is heading to Disney World in January 2019. We set up an MDE account for her and her 2 kids and have been discussing Magic bands. My niece would like a special magic band so I was planning on buying it for her for Christmas and my sister also bought her some decals for her free one with the resort stay. Then we realized that her kids have magic bands from their trip to Disney with their dad earlier this year but they are under his account. I know there's no way to use both sets of magic bands if they're under completely separate accounts but now I'm wondering if it makes sense to keep their accounts completely separate or to link the kids' accounts between the two parents so they can use special magic bands when they're traveling with either parent? My ex-BIL is not the easiest to deal with so I'm sure my sister wouldn't want to ask him unless it was something really simple for him to do. How do other people deal with this situation? Do you have 2 separate accounts for the kids or try to link them between parents?

I personally won’t be linking my son if his dad ever decides he likes Disney again. I’ll keep my son’s MBs from my account in my house, and if he gets any from a Dad trip his dad can keep those.

Maybe if things had been done differently I would be more open, but the ex was brutal in the way he surprised me (and our son) with the divorce, and he obliterated any kindness or openness on my part.

If the ex is difficult, I’d encourage your sister to do what I’ll do.

Honestly Id' keep the accounts seperate. Even if the ex made a mistake on adjusting something on the mom's trip, it could get ugly. Just let the kids have seperate magic bands and leave well enough alone

Just talked to my sister and her son has a special Star Wars magic band that was purchased for him when he went with his dad like he'd like to use if possible. My sister would like to link their accounts....I'm just trying to think for her if there would be any repercussions to that? I would say the relationship between the parents is strained, but okay. She thinks that he would not be difficult about linking the accounts. We can link the kids only I think? We already have a profile for the kids under her account and that's how the hotel is booked....so if we linked the kids from dad's account we would have to switch over the hotel reservation to those profiles, correct? Just trying to figure out the easiest way to do all of this! I think if they were just plain magic bands then no one would care about using them on multiple trips but since these kids picked out these special ones, they would really like to use them on multiple trips.

Honestly Id' keep the accounts seperate. Even if the ex made a mistake on adjusting something on the mom's trip, it could get ugly. Just let the kids have seperate magic bands and leave well enough alone
I'm worried about that too but the dad doesn't have a trip planned at all so I can't imagine he would even be on the Disney site. He can be a bit of a jerk sometimes but he's not malicious and wouldn't do something like that just to be cruel.

I'm worried about that too but the dad doesn't have a trip planned at all so I can't imagine he would even be on the Disney site. He can be a bit of a jerk sometimes but he's not malicious and wouldn't do something like that just to be cruel.
I'm sure, but why take the chance? And even if it's a Disney glitch would sis think in the back of her mind her ex messed w/ the plans? I just wouldn't do it

Thanks for the input everyone! I just discussed it with my hubby and he came up with a great solution! They can just take the pucks from their free magic bands and switch them with the pucks in their special magic bands so they still use them on their trip with mom! My sister is on an extremely limited income and this trip is a huge splurge for her that she's been saving for for a long time. She bends over backwards to make her kids happy and often compromises a lot with the ex in order to keep the peace so I think she was ok with linking the accounts to help out the kids, but this will be a better solution for everyone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter