MCO to St Petes Beach.

We drove from IDrive to St.Pete's and never paid a toll. It's a good straight run along the I4 to Tampa and then onto St Petes.

A good scenic route is to head south from the I4 before Tampa and go over the Florida Skyway Bridge - it's quite something!

Loftus

If you want to go to the most southerly part of St Pete's beach, called "Pass-a-grille" there is a toll road which leads off of I4, its very short. The toll's probably pay for the bridge which gives a short-cut from the long way round.

It joins St Pete's at the huge pink hotel called the Don Ceasar (sp) If you drive south of the hotel then take one of the short west bound side roads, they all lead on to the seafront.

This is a very quiet local's beach. There are some good facilities there. Cafe', Loungers, Cabannas, Rest room's, showers, etc.

There is also a very famous restaurant called "The Hurricane". We have had two very good meals there. Their Snapper is truly wonderful.

And Goofyish is right about the Southern Skyways bridge. It is quite a sight and worth the diversion to travel over it, or if like me, miss the St Pete's beach turning and have no choice!!

My, I rambled on a bit here, sorry. I hope this helps in some way.

Have a great day,

Paul :cool:

The Skyway Bridge - isn't that the I275? Just prior to the bridge (as you head southbound) is a turnoff for St Petes (Pinellas Bayway). There is a toll plaza - 50c I think.

The bayway emerges at the very bottom of St Petes Beach, down by the Don Cesar.

Which hotel are you staying in? If it is down that end of St Petes, then this route is more scenic, easier and probably quicker than following the more 'obvious' signs to St Petes and Clearwater.

PoohWidower beat me to it!

The skyway bridge has a toll too, if memory serves me correctly. It is a very impressive bridge, but has fairly high concrete safety barriers, which prevent a decent view - unless you are renting a 4x4 or similar.

You can take an exit just prior to the bridge and pull of into a sort of service area. The old bridge (dismantled after being crunched by a ship) is now a popular fishing pier!

The bayway road has a turnoff signposted Fort-DeSoto. I would take a trip down there. A really nice and very quiet beach/wildlife reserve. Plus (unsurprisingly) a fort to wander round. Extremely peaceful location.

GO2209 You and I would make good tour guides for the area!!

You are probably right about it being the I275.....but its definately the Pinellas Bayway though, I remember it now!

Have a great day,

Paul :cool:

Thanks people. We are staying in a small apartment complex - scorpio bayside - at the top end of the island that finishes with pass-a-grille in the south. Our nearest beach is Sunset Beach - I think!

I know where you mean - it is on the bay. The beach is over on the other side of the peninsula.

I think it is just off Boca Drive? Very close to the I275 ramp, a few minutes drive to the Tyrone Mall. I usually pop up to the Tyrone to get my 'Barnie's' coffee fix. The Tyrone, University (The 'Big One') and the new mall at Tampa are all excellent!

Jeez, I hate shopping in the UK - not sure why I am such a mall addict in Florida?!

Hi again - just seen this one after posting on your other St Pete's thread.

Where you'll be staying sounds like on the Boca Ciega bay . . . where you can spot dolphins most days;) AWESOME.

St John's Pass is another good place for food and I think it's from there you can catch little ferries to some of the islands.

Lucky you going to our second fave place on earth
:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter