MAY WISH Goals - Monthly Thread

Good morning, and Happy Monday!! It was a busy weekend for me, with DD coming home from college. I think I used that as an excuse to overeat and undermove. But I'm back to the fitness center this morning, and back on plan for my food!

So it's Motivation Monday! Post something about what motivates you. This can be a picture, meme, quote, or something personal.

Since I wasn't online at all yesterday. I figured that I would share my motivation today.
25-large-e69b838bd2299034adbe87999bd3af4f.jpg

My wife and I will be going on a Western Caribbean cruise for our third anniversary this October. I would like to enjoy the activities available in Jamaica and the Grand Cayman (we plan on just sitting on a beach in Cozumel) and I feel the weight often prevents me from enjoying similar activities. I also would like to look decent in a bathing suit.

Good morning! It's Topic Tuesday! How do you imagine your life will change once your reach your goal weight (or get nearer to it anyhow)? Will you be more confident? More outgoing? More athletic? More energetic? Or still just the same you, but thinner?

I'll be stronger functionally. I'll exhibit more energy, maybe even start playing pickup basketball games again. I hope it will help my sleep apnea and acid reflux issues, which I think in turn will help my energy levels.

I'll be stronger functionally. I'll exhibit more energy, maybe even start playing pickup basketball games again. I hope it will help my sleep apnea and acid reflux issues, which I think in turn will help my energy levels.

I didn't have sleep apnea (that I know of), but I did snore...loudly. My daughter and I had to share a hotel room recently, and she said I didn't snore at all (she was up on her phone more than half the night). Lost 82 so far, with 60+ to go.

Good morning! It's Topic Tuesday! How do you imagine your life will change once your reach your goal weight (or get nearer to it anyhow)? Will you be more confident? More outgoing? More athletic? More energetic? Or still just the same you, but thinner?

I'm working to make the changes slowly so that I'm where I need to be mentally when I get close to goal. I'm not "white knuckling" the weight loss, but there's some reliance on the calorie counting. I'm working on the hunger scale and trying to gauge my eating by that, but still use the calories as a guide. I'm scared that maintenance will be even harder than the weight loss, as once I get there, there's no real goal other than, well, staying there.

I am working to move from sloth to bad athlete. I've been walking daily, and I've signed up for my first 5K (which I fully intend to walk - my goal is an hour [sigh]) at the end of the month. Looking forward to more energy, and more confidence in the way I carry myself and interact with others.

Struggling on a day to day basis sometimes hourly. Prioritizing exercise is not going well most days. I woke up at first alarm Monday morning and today couldn't stop snoozing. I may have to start going to the gym early.

I do imagine I'd be more athletic again. I have no delusions I'll be become outgoing. I'm a born introvert and like my alone time and take a long time to open up to people. I know I do get more confident when I stick to exercise plans/goals. Mostly I think I'll remain the same but more confidence, energy and athleticism. My daughter and I shoot basketball on occasions and got tennis rackets to play around too. I'd love to join a team or group one day. Just for fun friendly competition nothing big.

Woo Hoo Wednesday (and happy hump day)! Tell us your successes this week! This could be a scale or non-scale victory, or just something that makes you smile to think about!

For me, it's not weight. My body seems to like the 223-225 weight range, because it keeps partying there. Sigh. But I did a side-by-side from September 2017 to April 2018 and realized this morning how far I've come, so I guess it's okay to party in the 220's for a bit. Scale says 81 pounds down now.

Image-1.png

Woohoo... my SIS finally paid me the money she has owed me for about 4 years. This is a good thing, firstly because its been an issue in our relationship and secondly it makes me more comfortable about signing up for the workshop I want to take in Round Top in November... which is stinking expensive, but I know it will be life changing and that I have to do it. I'll be flying in/out of Austin and talked to my brother about them possibly coming down for the weekend, which is going to add three nights hotel to the cost of the trip. I'm spending a lot of $$$ on vacation this year, and starting to toy with the idea of not going to WDW in September, but doing something more local. I can always do WDW in the Spring... hmmm....

Other than that this week is flying by, and I'm going home tired without the energy to get myself going out for an evening walk. And the house is a mess. And it feels like it has filled up with stuff again, even after I did all that purging a couple months ago. I need to get going on so many different fronts. Maybe tonight I'll start by going thru the bedroom closet - again. Woohoo...

Edited to add: Here's late breaking woohoo... at my SIS's party last week my Texas SIL said some things that were pretty questionable around politics (always an iffy topic) and ethnicity. Its been weighing heavily with me and just this morning I got an email from the founder of the group I took the clearing course from about "what to do when you find out someone close to you is a ______". There's I link to a presentation on the topic that I'll watch when I get home... it should help me figure out how to process what happened/was said. What a gift.

Last edited:
Woo Hoo Wednesday (and happy hump day)! Tell us your successes this week! This could be a scale or non-scale victory, or just something that makes you smile to think about!

For me, it's not weight. My body seems to like the 223-225 weight range, because it keeps partying there. Sigh. But I did a side-by-side from September 2017 to April 2018 and realized this morning how far I've come, so I guess it's okay to party in the 220's for a bit. Scale says 81 pounds down now.

View attachment 321462
You look great!

This week has been crazy so far and it is not letting up fort he rest of the week. After this week it should start to get better again. We have several end of the school year things going on this week along with our normal activities. I am getting my steps in when and where I can. It has been tough. I haven't gotten 10,000 steps yet this week but I have been close to 8,000. I have tracked my food this week and have stayed under 1200 calories. Yesterday when I weighed myself I was down 1.2 pounds since last Wednesday. Today I am up to 147.8 so I am up .4 pounds but I know that was from my lunch yesterday. One of our donors (the nicest guy you will ever meet) took a few of us to lunch. We went to Wahlburgers (Donnie from New Kids on the Block resturant). It was a good place but I had a hamburger and some fries. Our food planning for the week is working. DH (the awesome guy he is) got everything cut up for a salad knowing that I was going to have a rough lunch. So I packed a salad to take to take to DS's soccer game last night and if I counted lunch right I was right around 1000 calories. I am guessing I am off though. I guess this is my Woohoo. I am very excited that I have finally gotten my act together and am starting to lose weight.

I think i will be the same. Maybe a little less out of breath when running and playing with the kids.

My woo-hoo this week actually happened last Thursday. As everyone else here, I'm a huge Disney fan. My wife and I spent our Disneymoon at WDW, our 1st Anniversary at Disneyland (my first time), but I couldn't go last year -- she went to DL while in Anaheim for work -- and I began thinking I might not get back until our planned trip for the 50th (either late 2021 or early 2022). However, my wife called last Thursday and asked if I wanted to go to DL for Memorial Day. I know that holidays aren't the best time to go, but it's better than not going at all. So, we will fly out late Friday, May 26 and fly back late on Monday, May 28. We'll spend Saturday and Sunday in the parks and my MIL, with whom I enjoy traveling, will go with us.

As for scale victories, I'm now down over 10 pounds from April 6 when I weighed in at 322.

@lovesmurfs you look amazing!! What a difference!

I liked reading everyone’s woohoo!!

Mine is that I got discharged from hospital today! I went in for surgery on my sinus yesterday. They removed a cyst that has been bothering me. Everything went so well that I was sent home this morning. But I don’t have to go back to work until Monday, so now have nearly a mini-vacation! I am still feeling the effects though, so I won’t be able to do everything of course...

@lovesmurfs you look amazing!! What a difference!

I liked reading everyone’s woohoo!!

Mine is that I got discharged from hospital today! I went in for surgery on my sinus yesterday. They removed a cyst that has been bothering me. Everything went so well that I was sent home this morning. But I don’t have to go back to work until Monday, so now have nearly a mini-vacation! I am still feeling the effects though, so I won’t be able to do everything of course...
Great news on your surgery!

flossbolna: glad the surgery went well
lovesmurfs: what great photos. well done!!!

Well done to a whole bunch of others, too! You guys are doing awesome. I am not. I'm just struggling at the moment. But I have gone for a walk two of the last three nights, which has been great. I'm still logging every bite (which is how I know I am not doing anywhere near awesome!!). It's teacher appreciation week and that is wreaking havoc on my food plans. Today I did all right, but then Papa Murphy gave school workers half price on a pizza sooo... It sure was yummy. Our parent club bought everyone coffee Monday morning--I had a strawberry smoothie. Friday they are bringing in an ice cream sundae food truck for free ice cream. Have I told you I adore ice cream? Yesterday everybody brought salad for lunch. I tried just a sample of each. They were all delicious. Who knew there were so many different types of salad?! I've got a plan for tomorrow afternoon when the snack demon hits. I'm bringing some veggies to eat instead of the chocolate I've been hitting this week.

In wahoo news, this week I have had strawberries on my morning oatmeal instead of brown sugar. Very yummy.

So it's Motivation Monday! Post something about what motivates you. This can be a picture, meme, quote, or something personal.

This week my motivation has been my new scales and the app it connects to ... it shows my weight in the middle of a circle the circle is different colours that relate to the sections of the BMI scale it shows my BMI location on that scale and whilst I am in obese I am not that far in - so am hoping with some focused effort I can see that move before too long.

I need to move in spite of not really feeling like it.

I so relate to this!

I am hoping it will return some of my confidence - I am relatively confident in my abilities but I mean that confidence you get from knowing you are rocking that outfit. So I am also looking forward to finding shopping enjoyable again. I am also hoping for more energy and just generally to know that I am doing all I can to be as healthy as I can. My brother and sister have had some health issues pop up in the last few weeks - they are older than me by 13-16 years but I want to be able to age well like my parents.

My WooHoo this week is that I have increased my fruit intake considerably I have had 2 serves each day which is in line with my eating plan. Oh and that I am down just over 2 pound so far.

I did a side-by-side from September 2017 to April 2018 and realized this morning how far I've come, so I guess it's okay to party in the 220's for a bit. Scale says 81 pounds down now

Congratulations on all that hard work paying off ... you are right you should definitely acknowledge what you have already achieved on your journey :banana:

Glad to hear it went well - hope you feel better soon.

Good morning! Happy Friday Eve! And Topic Thursday! Tell us about your exercise routine or schedule. How hard is it for you to take a rest day from your exercise routine?

Because I knew this question was coming, I took a bit of a break yesterday -- didn't go to the gym. It was hard not to feel guilty for not going -- harder than I expected. I did walk to and from the train station (1.3 miles each way), but didn't do my 2-3 miles on the treadmill. But today the scale showed I lost 3 pounds over yesterday (upped my water, and wasn't particularly hungry yesterday). Getting ready to go to the gym now -- back in the saddle.

Have a great day, everyone!

Well, 10 days in, and I've worn my Fit Bit 3 times. I purposely am not wearing it everyday because if I did, I'd want to keep upping my steps, and since avoiding injury is my number one priority, I have to take concrete steps to be sure I am cycling between extra active days and rest days. The scale was kind after week one, as they tend to be that first week any time I restart. So it gave me a 3 pound loss to bolster my spirits.

I am not expecting the same amount in week two, but I'm going for super baby steps right now, so I'm okay with that. :)

Tell us about your exercise routine or schedule. How hard is it for you to take a rest day from your exercise routine?

Well, I don't have an exercise routine, and that's part of the problem. When I was doing well with my health/weight loss goals I was doing Pilates a couple times a week and really did enjoy it, then the weight started creeping back on and my range of motion decreased and I stopped going. Right now walking is all I do and I'm not even being consistent with it. Days are nice and long now, so there's no excuse not to get out in the evenings, I just need to change up what I'm eating during the day so I'm not so dead tired when I leave the office.

The video presentation turned out to be different than expected - it was about getting past judgments you make about people which are based experiences you've had in the past.... an over simplified example: you had a blonde boyfriend who broke your heart therefore all blonde people are not to be trusted. It was still a really good lesson and reminded me that I had pledged that I would take the on-line Restoration class before committing to the workshop. So I listened to the first two lessons: in the first lesson she called out one of the "requirements" for the course is that you stop hiding. Wait, what? I've been meaning to start that course for quite a while and finally did it right after I declared "visibility" as my word of the month? If that isn't a direct message to get myself to the workshop, I don't know what is.

upload_2018-5-10_7-46-0.png

Last edited:
It was a cool day so I went out and walked for 15 minutes at lunchtime. My goal is to actually hit 7000 steps today if I can. I'll probably need to take another walk when I get home this evening. I'm hoping to take some time this weekend and buy a treadmill for the house. I'm not a fan of going into the outdoors and dealing with people looking oddly at the fat person huffing and puffing. Besides, air-conditioning is my friend. But I think having easy access to a treadmill will encourage me to actually go walk more often. Still have a long way to go with weight loss and trying to get more fit, but I've noticed that just a week or so of walking has already decreased my resting heartrate. I'm just hoping the exercise is also helping with my blood pressure (which I don't have a measuring device for at the moment).

Good morning! Happy Friday Eve! And Topic Thursday! Tell us about your exercise routine or schedule. How hard is it for you to take a rest day from your exercise routine?

I currently use Stronglifts 5x5, which takes about an hour three times a week. I used this same routine with great results pre-wedding, going from 325 lbs to just under 260 lbs. I then stopped working out for a while, picked it up again last year for a couple months, then taking time away from working out.

I enjoy the program because I can see results every time I'm in the gym. You perform five sets of five reps, the 5x5, of three different exercises each workout. Day A is Squat, Bench Press, and Barbell Row. Day B is Squat, Overhead Press, and Deadlift. Week one is A - B - A; week two is the opposite. Each workout you raise the weights you do during your workout by five pounds, and you perform warm-up sets prior to your workout sets.

I like it because it's simple and effective. I see the results both in the increasing weight used and when I look in the mirror.

If I take a rest day, then I often end up taking 2 or 3. If I take a rest week or longer then I often won't go to the gym for six months. I know it's terrible, and taking time off shouldn't result in that kind of lapse in exercise, but it often does.

My exercise routine has varied over the years. Now that I'm old :smooth: I've really toned it down. Aches and pains and tweaks are not fun! Currently I play pickleball at o'dark thirty three days a week for about half an hour and the other two I have a stretching/core alignment type class. Three times a week after work I want to take a yoga class, but rarely make it. Friday is about the only day I can because that's the day we don't have any after school programs so no kids not being picked up and making me miss class! I'm supposed to lift weights at home three times a week, but don't. Need to work on that! Went for a walk with a girlfriend after work today. Nice to catch up with her. Thinking that now that it's light and nicer weather I will try to walk more after work.

I wasn't too excited to get out of bed this morning. Had to remind myself that I am a morning exerciser--more than once! I did it. Really looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday. Should get up early and work out because it's going to be a day of sitting. Three hour car ride, visiting with in-laws, three hour car ride back. ugh

I managed to smash my step goal yesterday, with 9000 steps. I actually really am getting into walking and enjoying it.
The only issue I seem to be having is that since starting walking, my weight-loss has kinda stalled out. I normally only 'count' my weigh ins on Sunday, but I check now and again during the week to get an idea of where I'm at. So far, this week, I've been either stagnant or gaining weight despite my calorie intake being kept to my goal levels (other than one night where DH wanted to take me out somewhere nice). Some websites say that after starting exercise you can put on a bit of weight, but it's still a little disappointing.

I'm trying to keep myself motivated in the fact that every day, I feel like I can walk further without feeling exhausted, and that I still feel like I'm losing some fat along the way. My clothing still seems to be fitting the same and my belly-fat feels looser. Still, that scale number can be daunting when it doesn't want to move. Especially when you're like me and you have a long way to go.

I also made an appointment to get my breathing issues checked out, which I'm hoping will help in allowing me to feel more healthy and be more active.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter