May W.I.S.H. Goals-A Little Bit of Mayhem

Thankful Thursday!

I need to be more mindful of this-I recently had a bad reaction to the second vaccination of my shingles shot. I was miserable and complaining for about 24 hours, but I now have a 98% chance of being protected from a horrible virus, my insurance paid for it and I could just go to bed til I felt better-I didn’t have small children to take care of or have to go to work.

Can you find a silver lining in what looks to be a not so great situation?
I love this! Whenever I feel down, I do try to think about the plus side of things. Not always easy, but helps me to get through it. Yesterday my son was having some trouble with one of his teachers. And I was struggling with how an issue was handled. But I reminded myself and him that this seems so bad because of all the other great teachers he has! They’ve just set the standard so high, we’ve come to expect that from every teacher. But I also reminded him that all teachers, including myself, are human and make mistakes just like all students, including him ;)

Foodie Friday!

TGIF! Even retired people enjoy their Fridays!

I’m going to throw a virtual cocktail party and everyone’s invited. If you would like to bring something to share, please do!
I usually bring the veggie tray. But that’s not because I was always trying to be healthy. It started because it didn’t require any cooking :D But now that I’m growing in my cooking skills, I still usually bring the veggie tray because then I know there is at least one healthy option.

Happy Friday everyone!

I am finally feeling nearly all healthy again and did bring my gym clothes, so am heading there after work. Then after that I am going to meet a bunch of girlfrieds at a local tapas place. Will have to make smart decisions and stay away from the alcohol. I am afraid that I currently have no idea for foodie Friday. I will try to think of something while doing my meal planning tomorrow morning and come back to you!

Thankful Thurday: One of the small things I am thankful for is that I have a job that is very flexible in its hours. I do not make good enough use of it sometimes. I think if I were better at planning, I could use this far more. But it is still a great perk to have that helps a lot with reducing stress!

Hello, Dearies!!!

Sandy, I second your choice for "May"-hem for the title, it's been crazy here already this month! The kittens have just finished their breakfast and synchronized face-washing (after eating fish paste... yeah, that's hygienic...) and are now running around like idiots while the chicks watch impatiently from their cage, waiting for me to put the cats up and let them down... one child (barely) gotten off on the bus so far, the other is just starting to thump around upstairs.
The avengers.JPG
So here are the babies in their "as kitten-proof as I can reasonably/temporarily make it" room... They came with kind of stupid names, all starting with T (because that's how they name the litters...alphabetically), so I gave them my own names... after the Avengers, of course!!! Barely visible in the upper right corner is the only girl, who came with the name Tasha, so she, of course, is Natasha Romanov/Black Widow, obviously recognizable with her trademark black catsuit and auburn hair.

Front and center is the god of mischief, Loki, who came with the name Taz, which also suits him because he's a playful and mischievous fellow, with a serious love/hate relationship with sandals...

Upper left, against the wall, that is Tony (Stark, officially named Tuck,) we called him that because he is the smallest of the boys, and while you can't tell in most of the movies due to clever scene layouts, Robert Downey Jr, who plays Tony Stark/Iron Man, is shorter than most of the other actors in the Marvel movies (but still average-ish height for the real, non-Hollywood world...) He is not much like his movie namesake except that he likes to have a good time... but his other name, Tuck, fits well, because he's the first to tuck in at mealtime and the first to tucker out and fall asleep after playing...

Lastly, the blur in the upper left, that's Thor... he's big and protective and the leader... and kind of dumb, but charming in his own way...

Time out... just caught Tony pooping in the corner because it was too much trouble to walk five feet to his litter box... yelled at him, put him in the litter box, and now less than five minutes later, he's back to playing and having a good time... so maybe he's more like Ironman than I realized...

ANYWAY...

I'm Joan (with a Z), 43 years old (for the moment,) retired military, mother of 2, very part-time student for now, but going for 16 credits of nursing school in the fall... and all of those things shape my goals for this month:

Even if I didn't have a bum leg and rotten lungs, just being retired from the military is enough reason for me to never run again! But I do like to walk, bum leg/life/weather permitting, so I will try again for 30 miles this month (last month, I barely cleared 10 miles of actual, intentional, non-grocery-shopping walking...)

I will also try (again, but better this time) to get back on track with meal planning/meal tracking/staying on my plan... so far this is going... ok... we made a menu for the month and I did most of the grocery shopping yesterday... which led to some less-than-healthy snacking while I tried each of the new generics I bought before pitching them to my picky eaters... which leads me to:

Woohoos:
Bees, kittens, weight back to early March levels, still hovering around the plateau and not the lowest it's been this year, but at least back in the right direction, which is amazing considered the level of "don't care" I had on some days...

Oh, and last weekend we FINALLY went out and bought a new couch, which will arrive sometime in the next few weeks... first they have to get it in the warehouse, then they will call to schedule delivery... So that's a woohoo because the old one was sooooooooo broken down, but I'm dealing with heartburn because I don't love the new one, which was very expensive, but I got outvoted... I'm old-fashioned, I think couches should not have to be plugged in...

Thankful for:
DD15's safety... since she is getting older and has been doing better lately, but also been having a lot hyper-energy in the afternoons (due to them reducing her medications, due to the hospitalization in March...) I have been letting her go out walking even when I can't go with her. Well, it's been going well, until yesterday she went to the park, and when I heard thunder and she didn't come straight home, I went to get her... looked around, no kiddo... rain starts pouring... no kiddo... phone rings, it's EMS... she's fine, BUT... she sleeps like the dead, and she had decided to take a nap on the playground pirate-ship climby-thing, which is why I didn't see her... and when the rain started, she decided to just lay there and keep sleeping, which scared some passersby, who kindly called the cops (because apparently they've been watching too many crime shows and assumed the worst...) So bottom line, she was fine, but we are revisiting the idea of a medic-alert bracelet and maybe a dumb-phone with tracking. (She has deliberately ditched the bracelets in the past, and the phone is usually unnecessary because she is rarely unsupervised, but maybe it's time, just for the tracker-- she would not have woken and answered it even if she'd had it yesterday... she's THAT heavy of a sleeper...) So I'm thankful that she did not come to harm while sleeping in the public park (ie-no creeper attacked her), nor was the rain very cold, so no worries about exposure injury/illness...

FOODIE FRIDAY:

I actually have some this week! So yesterday, as I mentioned, I went and did my "big grocery shop" for the month... being retired, I get my check on/around the 1st, and that's it for the month, so I plan a menu, make a list, and drive out the a big base near here to go to their commissary, where things are cheaper than the local stores (meat, milk, cheese, mostly.) Then for the rest of the month I replenish, as needed, from local civilian stores (pricey unless you catch the sales right) as well as a small commissary on a small base not far from here... ok prices, but very limited selection. After so many overruns last month, I think I was feeling insecure/stingy yesterday, because I really bought a whole lot less than usual at the big store, but planned a trip to Aldi, which is not close to either that base or my house... just to see what things I could find there... DD12, DD15, and H47 are all just insane snack-beasts lately, so if they're going to eat 3 times as much, I'm going to try to find cheaper alternatives..

So while granola bars are not technically unhealthy, they aren't "healthy" either unless built into a well-planned day, which mine weren't... but I can tell you that Millville brand peanut-butter granola bars from Aldi are very good, and the chewy chocolate salty/nut ones are AMAZING... (which they should be given their nutritional pathetic-ness...)

On the healthier side, their store-brand hummus comes in at 50 calories per 2 tablespoons, and is reasonably good (a bit too smooth for my taste, I like it to have a bit more texture, but DD15 liked it.) The store-brand triscuits are good at less than half the (commissary) price, so that's a huge win, since DD12 gobbles those like crazy, but I like them on occasion, too, and if I want some, I generally have to buy a new box, because they will be gone when I go back...

And a GOOD find... Aldi had some little snack-bar things near the registers, the brand name is light-and-fit, and they were about $.59 if I remember right... 100/110 calories, 6g of fiber, I bought one each of all 4 flavors, and have had 2 so far... tasted/felt a lot like Fig Newtons/Fruit Newtons, which aren't my favorite, but a good thing to have in my bag if I'm out and about and just STARVING...

(Side note... I *MISS* my car!!! Driving a rental for another few days, and I miss my van that has all my "stuff" in it... It's a mini van with lots of cubbies, and I have one that I fill with snacks for the kids, and another that I fill with snacks for me... to help keep us out of drive-thru... I miss that right now!!! -- BUT I'm thankful for insurance paying for most of the bodywork and all of the rental car...)

Ok, and now DD12 is leaving, because it took me an hour and 45 minutes to type all that with the distractions... and now, as always, it's time for statistics... 14 more days...

SPECIAL ENCODED MESSAGE FROM THE AVENGERS:

cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx0000000oooooooooooooooo]]]]]]0000000-
cccccccccccccccccdcccccccccccccccccccccccccccccyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

(I don't know what it means, but it must be important, because they typed it in when I was upstairs making breakfast for DD12, and when I came back down, Loki was sitting in front of the computer, staring at it intently...)

Foodie Friday...

I'll bring the Caprese!

While I'm not a good cook, I am a skilled assembler and Caprese is one of my go-to's. Recipe is: sliced tomatoes, sliced fresh mozzarella, fresh basil: drizzle with olive oil and balsamic : sprinkle with fresh ground salt/pepper. The secret is to use really good olive oil, my favorite is a tangerine infused Spanish brand, and a really good balsamic reduction, because being thicker it sticks to the tomatoes and mozzarella better.

A couple interesting things happened yesterday. One, we had a brief meeting with our VP, to whom we will direct report until a replacement manager is found. He has no plan. He didn't even know how big the team is (52 people). We're kind of screwed. Except, that the other interesting thing that happened was that I had a lengthy conversation with a counterpart on the product/business side (I'm in tech) about what's currently broken/not working, and came away thinking we'll take advantage of the gap in leadership and just starting doing what we think needs to be done.

Virtual cocktail: I usually bring Brie that I've slice in half (thank you dental floss!) and put soaked in apple juice apples, pears and other stuff I can't remember right now in the middle and on top and then bake. So gooey delicious. And the fruits make it healthy, right?! :rotfl2:
This sounds wonderful!

@sjrec, that crab dip sound delicious!!

I don't have Foodie Friday plans because lunch will be cleaning up leftovers and dinner is at DH's Lodge tonight.

(But I'll bring gin, tonic, and limes to the virtual cocktail party. :p )
And now we have cocktails!

I usually bring the veggie tray. But that’s not because I was always trying to be healthy. It started because it didn’t require any cooking :D But now that I’m growing in my cooking skills, I still usually bring the veggie tray because then I know there is at least one healthy option.
Have to have a veggie tray! Thank you!

ANYWAY...

I'm Joan (with a Z), 43 years old (for the moment,) retired military, mother of 2, very part-time student for now, but going for 16 credits of nursing school in the fall... and all of those things shape my goals for this month:

Even if I didn't have a bum leg and rotten lungs, just being retired from the military is enough reason for me to never run again! But I do like to walk, bum leg/life/weather permitting, so I will try again for 30 miles this month (last month, I barely cleared 10 miles of actual, intentional, non-grocery-shopping walking...)

I will also try (again, but better this time) to get back on track with meal planning/meal tracking/staying on my plan... so far this is going... ok... we made a menu for the month and I did most of the grocery shopping yesterday... which led to some less-than-healthy snacking while I tried each of the new generics I bought before pitching them to my picky eaters... which leads me to:

Woohoos:
Bees, kittens, weight back to early March levels, still hovering around the plateau and not the lowest it's been this year, but at least back in the right direction, which is amazing considered the level of "don't care" I had on some days...

Thankful for:
DD15's safety... since she is getting older and has been doing better lately, but also been having a lot hyper-energy in the afternoons (due to them reducing her medications, due to the hospitalization in March...) I have been letting her go out walking even when I can't go with her. Well, it's been going well, until yesterday she went to the park, and when I heard thunder and she didn't come straight home, I went to get her... looked around, no kiddo... rain starts pouring... no kiddo... phone rings, it's EMS... she's fine, BUT... she sleeps like the dead, and she had decided to take a nap on the playground pirate-ship climby-thing, which is why I didn't see her... and when the rain started, she decided to just lay there and keep sleeping, which scared some passersby, who kindly called the cops (because apparently they've been watching too many crime shows and assumed the worst...) So bottom line, she was fine, but we are revisiting the idea of a medic-alert bracelet and maybe a dumb-phone with tracking. (She has deliberately ditched the bracelets in the past, and the phone is usually unnecessary because she is rarely unsupervised, but maybe it's time, just for the tracker-- she would not have woken and answered it even if she'd had it yesterday... she's THAT heavy of a sleeper...) So I'm thankful that she did not come to harm while sleeping in the public park (ie-no creeper attacked her), nor was the rain very cold, so no worries about exposure injury/illness...

FOODIE FRIDAY:

I actually have some this week! So yesterday, as I mentioned, I went and did my "big grocery shop" for the month... being retired, I get my check on/around the 1st, and that's it for the month, so I plan a menu, make a list, and drive out the a big base near here to go to their commissary, where things are cheaper than the local stores (meat, milk, cheese, mostly.) Then for the rest of the month I replenish, as needed, from local civilian stores (pricey unless you catch the sales right) as well as a small commissary on a small base not far from here... ok prices, but very limited selection. After so many overruns last month, I think I was feeling insecure/stingy yesterday, because I really bought a whole lot less than usual at the big store, but planned a trip to Aldi, which is not close to either that base or my house... just to see what things I could find there... DD12, DD15, and H47 are all just insane snack-beasts lately, so if they're going to eat 3 times as much, I'm going to try to find cheaper alternatives..

So while granola bars are not technically unhealthy, they aren't "healthy" either unless built into a well-planned day, which mine weren't... but I can tell you that Millville brand peanut-butter granola bars from Aldi are very good, and the chewy chocolate salty/nut ones are AMAZING... (which they should be given their nutritional pathetic-ness...)

On the healthier side, their store-brand hummus comes in at 50 calories per 2 tablespoons, and is reasonably good (a bit too smooth for my taste, I like it to have a bit more texture, but DD15 liked it.) The store-brand triscuits are good at less than half the (commissary) price, so that's a huge win, since DD12 gobbles those like crazy, but I like them on occasion, too, and if I want some, I generally have to buy a new box, because they will be gone when I go back...

And a GOOD find... Aldi had some little snack-bar things near the registers, the brand name is light-and-fit, and they were about $.59 if I remember right... 100/110 calories, 6g of fiber, I bought one each of all 4 flavors, and have had 2 so far... tasted/felt a lot like Fig Newtons/Fruit Newtons, which aren't my favorite, but a good thing to have in my bag if I'm out and about and just STARVING...

(Side note... I *MISS* my car!!! Driving a rental for another few days, and I miss my van that has all my "stuff" in it... It's a mini van with lots of cubbies, and I have one that I fill with snacks for the kids, and another that I fill with snacks for me... to help keep us out of drive-thru... I miss that right now!!! -- BUT I'm thankful for insurance paying for most of the bodywork and all of the rental car...)

Ok, and now DD12 is leaving, because it took me an hour and 45 minutes to type all that with the distractions... and now, as always, it's time for statistics... 14 more days...

SPECIAL ENCODED MESSAGE FROM THE AVENGERS:

cxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx0000000oooooooooooooooo]]]]]]0000000-
cccccccccccccccccdcccccccccccccccccccccccccccccyuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

(I don't know what it means, but it must be important, because they typed it in when I was upstairs making breakfast for DD12, and when I came back down, Loki was sitting in front of the computer, staring at it intently...)[/QUOTE
Joan, with everything going on in your life, you definitely get the first cocktail! And just bring some of that hummus and triscuits from Aldi’s!

Foodie Friday...

I'll bring the Caprese!

While I'm not a good cook, I am a skilled assembler and Caprese is one of my go-to's. Recipe is: sliced tomatoes, sliced fresh mozzarella, fresh basil: drizzle with olive oil and balsamic : sprinkle with fresh ground salt/pepper. The secret is to use really good olive oil, my favorite is a tangerine infused Spanish brand, and a really good balsamic reduction, because being thicker it sticks to the tomatoes and mozzarella better.

A couple interesting things happened yesterday. One, we had a brief meeting with our VP, to whom we will direct report until a replacement manager is found. He has no plan. He didn't even know how big the team is (52 people). We're kind of screwed. Except, that the other interesting thing that happened was that I had a lengthy conversation with a counterpart on the product/business side (I'm in tech) about what's currently broken/not working, and came away thinking we'll take advantage of the gap in leadership and just starting doing what we think needs to be done.
Lizanne, that salad looks delicious! I have a friend that makes that for get togethers and it’s such a treat!

Happy Friday everyone!

I am finally feeling nearly all healthy again and did bring my gym clothes, so am heading there after work. Then after that I am going to meet a bunch of girlfrieds at a local tapas place. Will have to make smart decisions and stay away from the alcohol. I am afraid that I currently have no idea for foodie Friday. I will try to think of something while doing my meal planning tomorrow morning and come back to you!

Thankful Thurday: One of the small things I am thankful for is that I have a job that is very flexible in its hours. I do not make good enough use of it sometimes. I think if I were better at planning, I could use this far more. But it is still a great perk to have that helps a lot with reducing stress!

Don’t worry about bringing food to the virtual party-we’ll have you bring one of your lovely German wines!

Love the kitties!!

That, my dear, is because you can't SMELL them!!! :crazy2: I'm breaking the rules and switching them to kitten-safe scoopable litter, because wow... just wow!!!

Foodie Friday...

I'll bring the Caprese!

Ooohh… see, here I was thinking of being healthy, but I *LOVE* caprese!!! They used to sell it in summertime on the salad bar at Whole Foods using fancy heirloom tomatoes... can't be bothered to make it at home because the fresh mozzarella goes off so fast that I'd be FORCED to eat it all right away... and you can't buy less than a tennis-ball size around here...

As for work, go for it!!! By the time they get someone new in, it will be like "that's how we do it here..."

Sandy, no! *MY* triscuits!!! Not sharing!!! That's the whole problem!!! :P I'll bring buffalo wings (which really aren't any worse than any other skin-on baked chicken...) and we can just steal the celery off veggie tray to go with it... meanwhile, since alcohol puts me right to sleep, but I *could* stand to take the edge off, I'll also bring some kombucha, because yeah, that's how sensitive I am... store-bought kombucha is enough to give me a mild buzz...

More new foods to add, before I forget... nasoya ginger-marinated tofu is not bad... 8 grams of protein for 80 calories. Also, starkist dry-pack lemon pepper tuna is not very good. 18 grams of protein for 80 calories, and better than starving, but not very good. The herb and garlic flavor, on the other hand is a little higher calorie, but tastes a lot like tuna salad, except that it's shelf-stable until you open it. I'll be taking that for lunch some days when I start crazy-long-hours of school in the fall...

We have a beautiful day here and more sunshine is expected for the next week or so! Which is lovely but will probably soon just lead to drought. In the meantime I am enjoying playing in the dirt in my yard. Yesterday when I took the clothes off the line DH remarked how happy he was to know that the clothes "are really dry!" Yes, sometimes when I've had to bring them in they were just a tad damp in places.

I really, really need to mealplan and prep for the week, but that doesn't sound very much fun at the moment!

Yay! Went for the first run in a long time! Ran a bit too fast, so was exhausted. But still managed to spend an hour cleaning floors and bathroom afterwards.

Currently I am cooking a healthy vegetarian dinner with eggs. Will see how it works out. If it’s tasty, I will share the recipe. So, I am doing well with my goals for the month so far. Also, the scale has been very nice to me. I am already down 1.3 pounds.

C6C6C70F-9DAF-4854-945E-9B327098383E.jpeg

Motivation Monday

Looking at motivational quotes, this one really spoke to me for some reason. Just one little change can make such a difference. Especially when we’re starting out trying to either lose weight or become more active it can seem so overwhelming. Maybe making one small change and letting it become part of our daily routine
is a good start-one we can build on.

What was a change you have made or would like to make on a daily basis to help you achieve or maintain a healthy lifestyle?

For me, it’s keeping track of what I eat in a small notebook I keep on the kitchen counter. I used to track on my phone, but find I like the low tech version better. I’ve been doing this since I rejoined WW last July and I really think it’s a big reason I was able to maintain over the winter-something I usually struggle with.

View attachment 399053

Motivation Monday

Looking at motivational quotes, this one really spoke to me for some reason. Just one little change can make such a difference...

What was a change you have made or would like to make on a daily basis to help you achieve or maintain a healthy lifestyle?

I think this one is definitely true.

For me, it was buying a treadmill. I'm doing much better with walking a little bit most days because I'm not depending on the weather (which has been really dreary lately). I've been watching Disney YouTube channels on the iPad while I walk, which makes it fun!

Motivation Monday

I agree that making something part of the daily routine is key! For me., the biggest thing is having a plan. I usually plan my meals for the week on Saturday and then food prep everything I can on Sunday. Occasionally, things don't follow the plan. But I definitely find us eating out a lot less during the week...unless it's part of the plan. And then I usually already know what healthy choices I can make at those restaurants!

As for favorite Disney quote...there are so many. But the one that I probably use most often because it's so short and simple...Dory's "Just keep swimming"

Motivation Monday... this is excellent, and something I'm so not very good at. Developing new habits and sticking with them is a real challenge. Even with something so simple as drinking a glass of water morning/night I didn't keep up with it over the weekend, when my schedule was so different. I'm re-starting with it this week, and will make that the daily thing I change.

We had stunningly gorgeous sunshiny weather over the weekend, so what did I do? Binge watch Game of Thrones. All weekend. Although I was better on Sunday about taking breaks to run errands and do a few chores. Tonight I must not turn on the TV until the lawn is mowed.

All that couch sitting over the weekend has me feeling pretty crappy today, I woke up with a thick head and a headache. I'm contemplating doing a cleanse to clear out and re-set, but can't get excited about it because they are so drastic and emotional. And with all the chaos that's going on at work, me being cranky/mean is not a good thing. Maybe I can do a long weekend and sequester myself away from humankind. OK, I talked myself in to it... I ordered juice and soup this time because the thought of just juice makes me a bit squidgy.

I think this one is definitely true.

For me, it was buying a treadmill. I'm doing much better with walking a little bit most days because I'm not depending on the weather (which has been really dreary lately). I've been watching Disney YouTube channels on the iPad while I walk, which makes it fun!
I would love a treadmill-my husband is resistant though. Sigh. And he’s right, we can join the gym for free, but I would love watching all those old movies I recorded and walking at home.

I agree that making something part of the daily routine is key! For me., the biggest thing is having a plan. I usually plan my meals for the week on Saturday and then food prep everything I can on Sunday. Occasionally, things don't follow the plan. But I definitely find us eating out a lot less during the week...unless it's part of the plan. And then I usually already know what healthy choices I can make at those restaurants!

As for favorite Disney quote...there are so many. But the one that I probably use most often because it's so short and simple...Dory's "Just keep swimming"
Having the right food in the house makes such a huge difference! What’s that old expression? “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.”

Motivation Monday... this is excellent, and something I'm so not very good at. Developing new habits and sticking with them is a real challenge. Even with something so simple as drinking a glass of water morning/night I didn't keep up with it over the weekend, when my schedule was so different. I'm re-starting with it this week, and will make that the daily thing I change.

We had stunningly gorgeous sunshiny weather over the weekend, so what did I do? Binge watch Game of Thrones. All weekend. Although I was better on Sunday about taking breaks to run errands and do a few chores. Tonight I must not turn on the TV until the lawn is mowed.

All that couch sitting over the weekend has me feeling pretty crappy today, I woke up with a thick head and a headache. I'm contemplating doing a cleanse to clear out and re-set, but can't get excited about it because they are so drastic and emotional. And with all the chaos that's going on at work, me being cranky/mean is not a good thing. Maybe I can do a long weekend and sequester myself away from humankind. OK, I talked myself in to it... I ordered juice and soup this time because the thought of just juice makes me a bit squidgy.
Mowing the lawn is an excellent workout! Do you keep track of your steps? You will be amazed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter