May versus March?

maddiesmommie

Mouseketeer
Okay, we were all set to go March 13th for 3 days, when events changed for us and we are now able to reconsider our original dates in May. Any suggestions? May versus March if you had the choice? Pros and cons, please if you can think of them! Thanks in advance! :earsgirl:

I haven't gone in May, but I did go that same week in March. I thought March was great. Here are my pros & cons...

lower crowds in March
cooler weather, but pleasant
likely more refurbishments than May
shorter park hours but you can get more done with smaller crowds

BUT--if you hit any spring breaks in March, it will be crazy busy. High season is considered mid March to the end of April. So watch for that!

We went in May. The weather was nice. It was fairly crowded, especially the weekends. Lots of classes/bands/groups doing year end trips and such. There were about 5 rides closed for refurbishment.

I don't know how accurate this is, but check it out:
/www.scottware.com.au/theme/feature/crowds.htm

I think everything has changed with the 50th!!
:flower:
Good luck planning!

Before I was married I went with a boyfriend in May, the weather was mostly great. it Rained part of one day.. for about an hour. But it was fairly warm most days. Some were fairly hot. The crowds were not bad, this was before fastpass. And we went on all the big rides, and I didn't notice much of a wait.. We did have huge waits at Magic Mountain (6 flags theme park), I waited 1 1/2 hours for Batman. worth it.. yes, but never will I wait that long again. course I might not be remembering the wait times right as I was a 19yr old with my boyfriend LOL enough said ;).

Albertan mom said:
BUT--if you hit any spring breaks in March, it will be crazy busy. High season is considered mid March to the end of April. So watch for that!

Good point about Spring Break. Make sure Easter doesn't fall around that time that you plan to go, so that you don't run into all the public school crowds. When we went, Easter was in April, so we didn't have to worry too much. We did go during the University of Utah's Spring break and it wasn't bad at all.

so far the only closures for March are POTC and BB...I know I know things could change but hey....heres hopin ;)

We're also planning to go March 13th for 4 days during our Spring Break (coming from AZ, kids age 4 and 8). Most of the LA area K-12 schools seem to have their Spring Breaks between the last week of March and mid to late April, so we're hoping that, while there will be some Spring Break traffic the week of the 13th, it won't be too terribly bad.

Please post back to this thread if you hear otherwise, and I'll do the same. Like you, our alternate dates would be sometime in May, but that would probably include two weekend and two week days, where going during Spring Break would give us all week days.

Thanks,
Jeff

maddiesmommie said:
Okay, we were all set to go March 13th for 3 days, when events changed for us and we are now able to reconsider our original dates in May. Any suggestions? May versus March if you had the choice? Pros and cons, please if you can think of them! Thanks in advance! :earsgirl:

Thanks for the link Laura. It looks like a good number of Texans will also be having Spring Break the week of the 13th. The Disney calendar page is back up on their web site now, and it looks like their official Spring Break period begins that week as well, as they're increasing their hours on the 13th.

Does anybody know if the fact that they're staying open until 10 PM during the week means there will be fireworks? I'm wondering if we should plan on arriving on Sunday the 12th so we can check out Fantasmic and the fireworks.

Thanks,
Jeff

thats exactly what Im doing....we will be arriving on the 12th and going over to the park to see the fireworks and Fantasmic because I seriously seriously doubt they will be showing it during the week...only Friday-Sunday...have a question though...what I need to do is figure out how I can be at the front of the castle to see Tink fly and make it over to the ROA to be able to get front viewing for the last show of Fantasmic...anybody have a good plan for that one?

Any thoughts on going Sun. through Wed. vs. Wed. through Sat.? Are there any variables that I might want to consider that would push me towards one or the other?

Thanks,
Jeff

jhershauer said:
Any thoughts on going Sun. through Wed. vs. Wed. through Sat.? Are there any variables that I might want to consider that would push me towards one or the other?

Thanks,
Jeff
According to the Disneyland calendar, Haunted Mansion is closed the beginning of March, set to re-open on the 11th of March. So if you really want to see that, keep that in mind.

The hours from March 9th-18th are all pretty much the same. One bummer we found is on our last day in DL, the park closed at 6pm. We found that to be kind of a downer! You want to stay till the very end your last day, see a parade, or fireworks if you can, end it on a great note. Not leaving at 6pm!!

(Mind you, then we had time to go to the hotel, eat, swim and pack for the next mornings flight!)

I would say either way is fine as long as you plan on one weekend day for sure, and a few weekdays.
A CM told me that mondays are just as busy as Fridays a lot of the time, because people take long weekends.
I think the quietest days are tuesdays and wednesdays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter