sunshiinedaydream

Mouseketeer
So I pulled the trigger and booked a trip to DL with all three of my boys (DH DS3 and DS1). We were frequent visitors previously but haven’t been now in 2.5 years and geez! Disney has been busy! DS was 18mo last time so we he could only go on family rides but now! Now he is JUST 40” tall and I’m freaking stoked! We’ve been watching the old 90s Disneyland sing a long on YouTube to get ready eeep!

So a little about our trip: we booked through Costco Travel and are staying 4/30-5/5 at the Courtyad Convention Center. We plan on taking the Toy Story bus if needed. We have 4 day 1 park per day tickets with maxpass for all days. We plan on doing Wednesday DL Thurs & Friday DCA and back to DL Saturday using MM.

So question time...

Has anyone ever stayed at this hotel who can tell me a bit about it? We’ve stayed at the other Courtyard, a BW, desert, and ones near Buca di Beppo, but never around this one.

With the Costco package it is booked directly through Disney reservations. Are the tickets and gift card delivered to our house or left at hotel counter??

What should our FP pulls and strategy look like in the morning for DL and DCA? Obviously big ones for DS3 are DCA: RSR, Soarin, and TSMM. I want to see Guardians and Incredicoaster for their new overlays. DL: Dumbo, Peter Pan, Pooh, BLAB, TM, SM, Star tours. And I always need a quick ride on Indy ;)

We are also really interested in seeing shows and parades for the littlest one. Any tips for these? (So excited for Philharmagic!!)

Let me know if you think days at parks should be switched or any other wise knowledge you all possess. My family and I used to go every year for Christmas when I was in HS so I’m hoping this trip will be way more relaxed and less crowded!

Thanks!!

Last edited:
This thread has great information about MP -- it will help you get up to speed before your trip -- www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/. Read through it and post any questions. MP is a great resource in the parks! Will you be using Rider Swap? You can use that together with MP.
One thought about your MM: most people here suggest using your MM on your earliest day when your group is the freshest and has the most energy. By later in your trip, it might be harder to get up and if someone gets sick, you might miss out on your MM. The general rule is: earlier in your trip and the earier time is better for MM. So for you that would be Thursday and/or whichever day has the earliest MM time. BUT... the exception to this rule is that whichever day your family is feeling the most chipper and energetic is the best day for MM -- because even with lower crowds, MM just won't be that magical if your family is lethargic, crabby, and sniffling.
For shows, will your little ones be able to stay up for F! and/or WOC? If you can do a dining package for F!, that will get you the best viewing with the least wait. HB has the most flexible, most economical package -- it lets you order off the prix fixe or the regular menu (but you'll still pay the same dining package price). A package for WOC would help, too.
Have you already downloaded the app? Make sure you have the latest version (it just updated last week). Start playing with it now so that you'll be familiar with it by the time of your trip. And you can start checking wait times and FP times (availability, return times, when they run out, etc.) to get an idea of crowds so that you can start making a game plan for your trip.
By the way, just so you're not shocked, are you aware that the castle is under wraps right now? It is getting a new roof and there is some work going on to the pavement in front, too, so it is on the refurb list through early/mid-May.

ETA: I answered your question about DCA's EE in the trip reports forum.

Last edited:
This thread has great information about MP -- it will help you get up to speed before your trip -- www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/. Read through it and post any questions. MP is a great resource in the parks! Will you be using Rider Swap? You can use that together with MP.
One thought about your MM: most people here suggest using your MM on your earliest day when your group is the freshest and has the most energy. By later in your trip, it might be harder to get up and if someone gets sick, you might miss out on your MM. The general rule is: earlier in your trip and the earier time is better for MM. So for you that would be Thursday and/or whichever day has the earliest MM time. BUT... the exception to this rule is that whichever day your family is feeling the most chipper and energetic is the best day for MM -- because even with lower crowds, MM just won't be that magical if your family is lethargic, crabby, and sniffling.
For shows, will your little ones be able to stay up for F! and/or WOC? If you can do a dining package for F!, that will get you the best viewing with the least wait. HB has the most flexible, most economical package -- it lets you order off the prix fixe or the regular menu (but you'll still pay the same dining package price). A package for WOC would help, too.
Have you already downloaded the app? Make sure you have the latest version (it just updated last week). Start playing with it now so that you'll be familiar with it by the time of your trip. And you can start checking wait times and FP times (availability, return times, when they run out, etc.) to get an idea of crowds so that you can start making a game plan for your trip.
By the way, just so you're not shocked, are you aware that the castle is under wraps right now? It is getting a new roof and there is some work going on to the pavement in front, too, so it is on the refurb list through early/mid-May.

ETA: I answered your question about DCA's EE in the trip reports forum.

Your days definitely make sense. It would be smart to do MM as early in the trip as possible so we have enough energy. I only picked Saturday over Thursday because I think the first day in the parks should be at DL for DS3. I feel like it would be a little less exciting to show up first morning at DCA and he’s like.. wait.. none of these things are on my Disneyland video! I still think he’s going to love DCA I just was really imagining the first park they see to be DL (even if the castle is covered). And by that reasoning I came to doing DL for the last day (and it also has the fireworks).

I looked into the F! Dining packages and I just don’t think it’s budget-friendly for us. We are planning to probably skip F! And do WOC with FP on Thursday night. Then make it an early night Friday at DCA so we can rest well for MM on Saturday. We will definitely not be missing the parade or magic mix though! How early do you need to grab a spot for those and where should we prioritize being if the castle is under refurb?

we have 4 kids, under 7, and we started going to DL right about the time #1 and 2 were the ages of your kids. A couple of things to consider - not all boys love cars, but I have 3 boys that were/are cars obsessed at 2, and frankly they would have been content to be in cars land the entire trip. esp once they're 40" and can ride RSR. We did not spend very time in DCA early on b/c my oldest is a girl and it wasn't princess heavy then, but once my oldest boy turned 2 we spent LOTS more time in DCA. My kids also all generally take naps during the day in the stroller, but even with a nap an 8:30 parade is pushing them to their limits. Usually everyone has fallen asleep at that point. We were always big paint the night fans (RIP) so I don't know if current showings are as popular, but generally one of us sat with the baby at the time on the curb while the other took the kids to go do something. A front row seat (kids can't really see unless it's front row) was about 1.5-2 hour wait. Dumb, I know. total waste of time. It is what it is. do they even have a daytime parade right now? I thought they axed soundsational (which my kids loved.)

maxpass is 100% worth the money. at DCA generally always start with RSR, we've found it easy to get GOTG FP later. make sure to ask the VERY first CM for a rider switch. I would get a FP for RSR and do TSMM at rope drop while you're waiting, even multiple times if the line isn't too long.

we have 4 kids, under 7, and we started going to DL right about the time #1 and 2 were the ages of your kids. A couple of things to consider - not all boys love cars, but I have 3 boys that were/are cars obsessed at 2, and frankly they would have been content to be in cars land the entire trip. esp once they're 40" and can ride RSR. We did not spend very time in DCA early on b/c my oldest is a girl and it wasn't princess heavy then, but once my oldest boy turned 2 we spent LOTS more time in DCA. My kids also all generally take naps during the day in the stroller, but even with a nap an 8:30 parade is pushing them to their limits. Usually everyone has fallen asleep at that point. We were always big paint the night fans (RIP) so I don't know if current showings are as popular, but generally one of us sat with the baby at the time on the curb while the other took the kids to go do something. A front row seat (kids can't really see unless it's front row) was about 1.5-2 hour wait. Dumb, I know. total waste of time. It is what it is. do they even have a daytime parade right now? I thought they axed soundsational (which my kids loved.)

maxpass is 100% worth the money. at DCA generally always start with RSR, we've found it easy to get GOTG FP later. make sure to ask the VERY first CM for a rider switch. I would get a FP for RSR and do TSMM at rope drop while you're waiting, even multiple times if the line isn't too long.

The rope drop strategy sounds good. Hopefully we will only have to hustle the first day at dca and then coast doing shows and stuff the second day around.

Soundsational is on the calendar for 6pm every day we’re there! I know they’ll love it. I was planning on grabbing dinner an hour before and ya all sitting curbside to eat while waiting but maybe we will need to set dad up there even earlier :sad2:

One of the great things about MMM is that it is much more low key than previous big production fireworks shows, so it doesn't require hours of camping out to get a good viewing spot. Reviews right now are voting for Main Street and IASW for the two best viewing areas (both areas get snow during the show!). Remember that MMM doesn't have fireworks every night -- the entertainment schedule will say "MMM with fireworks" (weather permitting) or just "MMM" -- so be sure to check which show you'll be getting. The projections should show every night. You can probably get a great spot with about an hour or so wait -- we've had good-to-fine viewing with 30 minutes or less wait, depending on the night. Soundsational is one of our favorite parades -- again, I wouldn't camp for hours -- we usually get something to eat (Plaza Inn and other places will give you food in take out containers on a tray) and find a nice spot so we can eat while waiting. You're going to have a great time!

One of the great things about MMM is that it is much more low key than previous big production fireworks shows, so it doesn't require hours of camping out to get a good viewing spot. Reviews right now are voting for Main Street and IASW for the two best viewing areas (both areas get snow during the show!). Remember that MMM doesn't have fireworks every night -- the entertainment schedule will say "MMM with fireworks" (weather permitting) or just "MMM" -- so be sure to check which show you'll be getting. The projections should show every night. You can probably get a great spot with about an hour or so wait -- we've had good-to-fine viewing with 30 minutes or less wait, depending on the night. Soundsational is one of our favorite parades -- again, I wouldn't camp for hours -- we usually get something to eat (Plaza Inn and other places will give you food in take out containers on a tray) and find a nice spot so we can eat while waiting. You're going to have a great time!

So excited for our trip! I think those two things will be what they like the most. We plan on seeing MMM on Saturday night and they will have the fireworks then. Although the kiddos aren’t really into fireworks (noise) so kinda wishing that wasn’t the night available for us but we’ll make do. I have fibromyalgia and I’m also 5’4” so can’t lift the kids up too high or for very long without paying for it greatly later (I’m already dreading what my hip and shoulder pain will be like after the first day of walking). Are there any prime spots to be so the kids can see unobstructed for the most part? I know for the parade we will get dinner and camp out on the curb but MMM seems a little more tricky for little ones.

So excited for our trip! I think those two things will be what they like the most. We plan on seeing MMM on Saturday night and they will have the fireworks then. Although the kiddos aren’t really into fireworks (noise) so kinda wishing that wasn’t the night available for us but we’ll make do. I have fibromyalgia and I’m also 5’4” so can’t lift the kids up too high or for very long without paying for it greatly later (I’m already dreading what my hip and shoulder pain will be like after the first day of walking). Are there any prime spots to be so the kids can see unobstructed for the most part? I know for the parade we will get dinner and camp out on the curb but MMM seems a little more tricky for little ones.
With MMM, there really isn't a need to lift the kids to see the fireworks. Because the castle isn't really a major point for the show (if you're viewing at the castle, it's really fun -- but the show is fun without the castle -- you'll never miss it!). When we view on Main Street, the kids dance and love the projections on the buildings. They just look at the sky over the castle for the fireworks. Some don't even really look at the fireworks at all -- they just look at the projections! Same with IASW -- no need to lift the kids, just find a spot with a clear view of the building and the area over ToonTown. There are raised areas on the terraces along the Small World Mall (the raised areas right by the railings facing IASW might work well for you) -- you can view from there, too. The kids just dance and love the projections on the IASW building facade. They love the snow, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter