May? Take your shot, knock some sense into me please? Tell me I'm being silly.

Farro

Argh.
We are going May 6-15, 2020. I did the research, hot, but not summer humidity, afternoon storms. Great. No problem.

But I keep reading these reviews (I really should stay off social media, people tend to exaggerate) about how awful the weather has been the past 2 years!!! During the time we are going! All day rains. People saying it's sweltering. People saying they would never go again in May. Someone said 6 days of straight rain both times they went (past two Mays). Maybe the weather is changing...

Then this year with the love-bugs - although I don't think that will bother me too much.

Anyone been during May the past couple of years, especially the first two weeks - give it to me straight, should we think about another time? Crowds are not a factor for us. I'm not asking for a weather prediction, just your honest experience.

We are going May 6-15, 2020. I did the research, hot, but not summer humidity, afternoon storms. Great. No problem.

But I keep reading these reviews (I really should stay off social media, people tend to exaggerate) about how awful the weather has been the past 2 years!!! During the time we are going! All day rains. People saying it's sweltering. People saying they would never go again in May. Someone said 6 days of straight rain both times they went (past two Mays). Maybe the weather is changing...

Then this year with the love-bugs - although I don't think that will bother me too much.

Anyone been during May the past couple of years, especially the first two weeks - give it to me straight, should we think about another time? Crowds are not a factor for us. I'm not asking for a weather prediction, just your honest experience.
May has been fine when we've visited - we visited early May a while ago and it was fine, pretty hot and summer-y but I haven't had all-day rain for weeks...

Where are you from? What do you think is hot? Im a Central Florida native but Ive been in north Georgia for 15 years now and we did they first week of May last year and it was SO HOT. Im pretty sure I had mild heat stoke. May is hot and humid in Florida yes. But it still has cooler mornings and evenings unlike July/August.

Where are you from? What do you think is hot? Im a Central Florida native but Ive been in north Georgia for 15 years now and we did they first week of May last year and it was SO HOT. Im pretty sure I had mild heat stoke. May is hot and humid in Florida yes. But it still has cooler mornings and evenings unlike July/August.

I'm not worried about the heat as much as the all day rains.

I'm from Chicago and believe it or not, we get stifling, stifling humidity with 100 degree temps in the summer, quite often. I love it! :)

I guess people's past experiences won't help much as that has no bearing on next year. But tell me anyway!
;)

I'm not worried about the heat as much as the all day rains.

I'm from Chicago and believe it or not, we get stifling, stifling humidity with 100 degree temps in the summer, quite often. I love it! :)

I guess people's past experiences won't help much as that has no bearing on next year. But tell me anyway!
;)

Ah okay. The monsoons havent quite hit by May.

Orlando2.png

Pretty much any time in Orlando will be hot. It can also rain most of the time a few hours in the afternoon so not all day everyday but it can happen ( this can happen any time too) if there is a front moving in or the H word happen but you will be fine in May

Love bugs were bad this year. But one thing about them they do not bit but they are annoying But if they are bad one year chances are they next year will not be so bad. ( there is some crop that if it is a good year for the love bug are bad is what I have heard. )

I say go have fun enjoy your self.

Pretty much any time in Orlando will be hot. It can also rain most of the time a few hours in the afternoon so not all day everyday but it can happen ( this can happen any time too) if there is a front moving in or the H word happen but you will be fine in May

Love bugs were bad this year. But one thing about them they do not bit but they are annoying But if they are bad one year chances are they next year will not be so bad. ( there is some crop that if it is a good year for the love bug are bad is what I have heard. )

I say go have fun enjoy your self.

Thanks! I'm sure we will go. We just normally go in late October. We're tired of going then, the weather last year was too cold to swim for a few days and we want to go when it's hot. Also to see Flower/Garden!

We were just there the last week of April into first week of May. Most days it was gorgeous out, hot and humid but gorgeous blue skies. We had one day of rain and it was our last day there.
Yes the bugs were annoying. The crowds were higher than we would have liked, but otherwise it was great.

I was just there for two days prior to a cruise and one day after a cruise. Didn’t see any rain the days were were there. I know there were some storms this past tues, but I had bad rain one day in dec too so that’s just Florida. It is starting to get closer to summery hot. I thought it was still tolerable though I preferred Feb weather, my 70 yr old mother thought it was already too hot.

The love bugs were more of a pain when trying to sit outside at the resort and relax. When we were going through the park we kept moving so they really weren’t too annoying. As others have said no bites so that’s good at least.

I was just there for two days prior to a cruise and one day after a cruise. Didn’t see any rain the days were were there. I know there were some storms this past tues, but I had bad rain one day in dec too so that’s just Florida. It is starting to get closer to summery hot. I thought it was still tolerable though I preferred Feb weather, my 70 yr old mother thought it was already too hot.

The love bugs were more of a pain when trying to sit outside at the resort and relax. When we were going through the park we kept moving so they really weren’t too annoying. As others have said no bites so that’s good at least.

I already decided to pack my wine sippy cup (has a lid!) so at least while I'm lounging, the bugs won't be swimming in my wine. ;)

hey moderators, why moved???

oh my god! Every thread I put on the theme parks board gets moved! I see these questions all the time on that board - which month is better to visit!
June vs October/crowds heat?
First two weeks of March 2020?
Christmas or August? 3 pages!

Geepers. These boards are totally losing their value for me. Over zealous moderation is why message boards are dying. :worried:

Last edited:

I’m going to be opposite of many of the previous people. I was there April 27-May 7. I doubt I will return for May. I love flower and garden but I will do early March instead. The heat and humidity got to me so much that it really impacted my enjoyment-really dragging through the parks, not having an appetite, and just feeling icky with sweat. I even felt it worse than when I did my September trip in 2017! In May we also had to deal with crazy rainstorms and it unfortunately caused some cancellations in things we wanted to do. Sure, rain is all the time in Orlando, but May is starting to go into the crazy weather season!

Oh and Love Bugs. The actual peak changes year to year but this year was HORRIBLE! And they will irritate you! Literally they land everywhere and run into you and are just gross. Riding the Peoplemover I took off a flip flop to swat at them. On Magic Carpets I spent most of the ride trying to avoid them. My friends did Liberty Bell and were just swarmed (another friend did a cruise right afterward and it was so bad they didn’t even do the Sail Away party on deck)! At California Grill brunch, the roof was just a swarm of them so you couldn’t even go out on the deck! I was staying at Beach Club and one afternoon I couldn’t even enjoy Stormalong Bay for more than an hour! Maybe it was just me, but my other friends also felt the same way-just totally grossed out!

I guess that’s just my opinion. I just wasn’t a fan of May at all.

why moved???

Fair question. Sorry you felt it was heavy handed moderation.

Generally speaking, the TPAS board is for theme park attractions and strategies discussion. Parks, attractions, FPs, crowds, etc.

Posts that are solely about weather or weather related questions are often moved here to Tips or other boards depending on the thread content.

Sure, inevitably weather is a part of many TPAS discussions. It impacts several elements of theme park planning. But if we didn’t move/organize weather posts....rain, heat, and poncho threads would quickly overrun the TPAS board and make it harder for people to find theme park attraction content. That is an organizational choice made by the mods. Does every thread topic have a perfect home among the many DISBoard forums? Probably not, but that’s the logic.

BTW, always happy to answer questions (or hear feedback) on the boards (helps if I’m tagged so I see it) or via PM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!