MAY 2020 WISH Challenge - Anything is Possible

4Mickeys

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the May 2020 W.I.S.H. (We're Inspired to Stay Healthy) challenge!! - "Anything is Possible"

We're here to support each other with kindness as we each work on becoming or staying healthy during these trying times. Everyone is invited, and we're looking forward to catching up with regulars and welcoming newcomers! We have weekly volunteer hosts, and typically follow a Monday-Friday format:

Motivation Monday,
Topic Tuesday,
WOOHOO Wednesday,
Thankful Thursday,
Free For All Friday,

Social Saturday &
Self-Care Sunday.

This Month's Hosts
Week 1 - 4-10th @PollyannaMom
Week 2 - 11-17th @MickeyMom76
Week 3 - 18-24th @sjrec
Week 4 - 25th - 31st @Oneanne

Thanks for filling up our hosting duties friends :)

I will kick us off and finish off my hosting duties from April/May

Hello everyone - It is Friday Free For All.

As our month starts on a Friday it is all over the place - lets introduce ourselves and share our goals for May - and then chat it up about anything on your mind this Friday :)

I’m Cristin, a 43 yr old kindergarten teacher in PA, wife, mother of boy/girl twin teens and 11 yr old black lab. My goal for this month is to lose 10 pounds by getting my snacking back under control and to keep moving.

I had a bad day yesterday. My routine was thrown off in the morning and I didn’t get my workout in. It was a cloudy rainy day. And my kiddos weren’t very active on Seesaw (our online learning platform). so I took a day to let myself just be down. I watched Disney’s Tarzan. I planted cups of seeds to deliver to my kids doors this weekend. I listened to some podcasts while laying in bed mid day. But today is a new day! I know I have to get back into routine.

I’m Sandy, retired four years from our local HS library. My husband and I live in south central PA.

I hope to maintain my weight and keep active.

Yesterday was not my best day. It poured rain all day and I snacked a lot on crackers and other things.
But today will be better. I should be able to get out for a walk and then plan out a week of meals.

Happy Friday, everyone!

This made me laugh-

EDBB47A0-6DAA-4CF6-BA3A-642F926E3492.jpeg

I am Stephanie. I live in Northeast Ohio. I am married with 2 kids. Nick just turned 14 and Elizabeth is 12. I am still working but from home still for the foreseeable future. Things are quite it here for the most part and we have handled all this chaos pretty good. Though this on-line schooling is getting old. My mom finishes teaching in about 2 weeks while my kids go until June. I told her that She could be my kids teacher and make sure they get their stuff done once she is done with hers. All sports are canceled for now except for Elizabeth's horse back riding. They can easily social distance. So we have a lot more time now. We are cooking a lot more and have not gone out to eat since before this started. I do need to move more and I am working on that.

My goal will be to get an average of 45 minutes of activity a day. I hit my goal of an average of 30 minutes in April. I am upping it for May.

Hi I'm Lizanne, checking in from sunny Seattle... sunny today at least, a storm is rolling in tomorrow. Currently on furlough from work, I should be returning to work-from-home mid-month. I saw an interesting story yesterday on how offices are going to change going forward, which made me very happy... no more cramming people into 'collaborative' spaces and instead going back to cubes with high walls. My office area is laid out pretty well, we'll just need to add some barriers between desks.

I joined Noom I think 5 weeks ago, with slow but steady progress, it seems like we are getting in to some meatier stuff now. I still have mixed feelings, I think the negative is more in relation to the coaching, which I thought was going to be more personal and hands on, my group coach is just posting canned prompts and not really driving any conversations. But I'm slowly losing weight and changing how I think about food/eating, so that's good.

My May goals will be to walk 100 miles... the past few days I've started listening to music while I walk (previously I wasn't because wanted to hear the neighborhood sounds), and it has actually made a big difference, as I've gotten to 10,000 steps the past two days. My other goal will be to drop between 5 and 10 pounds.

I've decided that next week, when the recreation limitations officially soften, I'll go down to the beach and walk a couple mornings a week... early before it gets busy, plus that'll help me get back in to the routine of getting up early. Then I'll do my ferry trip sometime before I return to work. I've pretty much settled in to driving all the way to Port Townsend, in addition to hitting a couple parks I can stop in at my Neice's to visit her new chickens, maintaining physical distance of course.

Happy May everyone!

Last edited:
I'm Summer. I live in Connecticut, about an hour outside of NYC. So I'm in the middle of the pandemic. I'm asthmatic, so I'm struggling with not letting fear take over me. I teach Pre-K 4 in an inner city public Pre-K-8th grade school. I am home teaching through distance learning which is a huge challenge for me given the grade level I teach. I have a daughter who is 22 and is currently quarantined at home from her job at Lord & Taylor. She is a Stand-up Comic and under normal circumstances performs in clubs and bars. She will be performing online next month. I'm married to an essential worker which has been a real challenge, because he just isn't as careful as I would be in his shoes. We were in a fight for about 24 hours, but it is resolved. Thank God we only have a big one every couple of years, because I find them very draining. Sorry if this is TMI, but I am very comfortable chatting with you all and have come to consider you friends.

Today was Flexible Friday which meant I had meetings, and I didn't have to hold class. We usually order out dinner on Fridays, so that is something to look forward to.

I have managed to maintain my 20 pound weight loss from the winter. I'm truly not trying to lose weight at all, although I still talk to my Noom coach. I just need to get into a better head space. I know I will. My now-cancelled vacation to WDW in June 2020 was a big motivator for me, and I have lost some of my incentive to really commit to weight loss at the moment. We are booked for the Polynesian in July 2021, but I'm beginning to doubt that that trip will actually happen. I really need a vaccine to feel comfortable going. I can't imagine wearing a mask in Orlando in July.

I'll try to join in this month. My name is Becky and I'm from central Illinois, about an hour north of St. Louis. I've been married for 27 years and have 3 kids - DD23, DD22 and DS17. My youngest two are both seniors this year, so it's been kind of a disappointing couple of months for them. We are waiting to hear about both graduations and just sad about everything they are missing out on the spring of their senior years. DD23 graduated last year and was still living at home trying to get a bit saved up before she moved out August 1st. She was laid off, so everything is up in the air right now for her, so she's also somewhat frustrated about the uncertainty of it all. DH and I both work for the same company and it is in the agricultural industry, so we've been working every day, same as usual which is good.

Overall, we are thankful that everyone is healthy and (mostly) happy, but I've felt bad through everything because of how it's affected my kids. Our middle DD will be moving back home from her college town at the end of this month, so it will be somewhat of an adjustment having all 5 of us together under one roof. I'm kind of excited about it, but we haven't done it for more than a couple weeks at a time during Christmas breaks for about 5-6 years, so it will be an adjustment for sure.

Long term I honestly need to lose about 100 pounds, but that is just too much to think about, so I'm definitely going to break it down. About 3 years ago, I was in the same place weight wise and I lost 30 pounds in about 4 months. I did it all through being accountable for what I ate through tracking on My Fitness Pal. So, for this month, my goal is to start tracking everything I eat in my app. I also want to go back and re-read what I ate 3 years ago when I was losing. I mainly just tracked calories and tried to stick with what my app told me was my target calorie goal for the day. I'd like to get back to that.

I'll try to join in this month. My name is Becky and I'm from central Illinois, about an hour north of St. Louis. I've been married for 27 years and have 3 kids - DD23, DD22 and DS17. My youngest two are both seniors this year, so it's been kind of a disappointing couple of months for them. We are waiting to hear about both graduations and just sad about everything they are missing out on the spring of their senior years. DD23 graduated last year and was still living at home trying to get a bit saved up before she moved out August 1st. She was laid off, so everything is up in the air right now for her, so she's also somewhat frustrated about the uncertainty of it all. DH and I both work for the same company and it is in the agricultural industry, so we've been working every day, same as usual which is good.

Overall, we are thankful that everyone is healthy and (mostly) happy, but I've felt bad through everything because of how it's affected my kids. Our middle DD will be moving back home from her college town at the end of this month, so it will be somewhat of an adjustment having all 5 of us together under one roof. I'm kind of excited about it, but we haven't done it for more than a couple weeks at a time during Christmas breaks for about 5-6 years, so it will be an adjustment for sure.

Long term I honestly need to lose about 100 pounds, but that is just too much to think about, so I'm definitely going to break it down. About 3 years ago, I was in the same place weight wise and I lost 30 pounds in about 4 months. I did it all through being accountable for what I ate through tracking on My Fitness Pal. So, for this month, my goal is to start tracking everything I eat in my app. I also want to go back and re-read what I ate 3 years ago when I was losing. I mainly just tracked calories and tried to stick with what my app told me was my target calorie goal for the day. I'd like to get back to that.
So glad you’re going to join in! Welcome!

so I took a day to let myself just be down. I watched Disney’s Tarzan. I planted cups of seeds to deliver to my kids doors this weekend. I listened to some podcasts while laying in bed mid day. But today is a new day! I know I have to get back into routine.

I'm so glad you looked after yourself - well done :cheer2:

It poured rain all day and I snacked a lot on crackers and other things.
But today will be better. I should be able to get out for a walk and then plan out a week of meals.

Ugh rainy days will do that! Hope you planned some yummy healthy meals :thumbsup2

My goal will be to get an average of 45 minutes of activity a day. I hit my goal of an average of 30 minutes in April. I am upping it for May.

Such a good goal at the moment :thumbsup2

I think the negative is more in relation to the coaching, which I thought was going to be more personal and hands on, my group coach is just posting canned prompts and not really driving any conversations.

That is disappointing :worried:

But I'm slowly losing weight and changing how I think about food/eating, so that's good.

But that is good - but I also think you have come along way this year with the eating - so make sure you recognize your role in that and own that success :cheer2:

he past few days I've started listening to music while I walk (previously I wasn't because wanted to hear the neighborhood sounds), and it has actually made a big difference,

That is great - does it mean that you walk for longer? or at a different pace?

I've decided that next week, when the recreation limitations officially soften, I'll go down to the beach and walk a couple mornings a week... early before it gets busy, plus that'll help me get back in to the routine of getting up early. Then I'll do my ferry trip sometime before I return to work. I've pretty much settled in to driving all the way to Port Townsend, in addition to hitting a couple parks I can stop in at my Neice's to visit her new chickens, maintaining physical distance of course.

This sounds lovely - lots of good things to look forward to :-)

Sorry if this is TMI, but I am very comfortable chatting with you all and have come to consider you friends.

Not at all - I love that we are comfortable with each other and are able to share our ups and downs even when they aren't 'healthy' related - but then again - being able to 'talk' to each other helps our mental health :thumbsup2

In something kind of similar to what you and DH were arguing about - I am in a rental property and once a year someone comes to inspect the fire alarms - well I got a text from them yesterday - saying they are coming! I must admit like you my reaction was YIKES! It went on to detail all of their safety precautions (masks, wipes, gloves etc. - and even stated they wanted us to stay social distance from the person that enters.

I'll try to join in this month. My name is Becky

Welcome back Becky :flower:

I'm kind of excited about it, but we haven't done it for more than a couple weeks at a time during Christmas breaks for about 5-6 years, so it will be an adjustment for sure.

Oh what a nice silver lining - but yes it will be a readjustment I'm sure - hope it goes well.

Hello all,

I am Samantha - joining in again from Australia - mum of 3 DS19, DS16 and DD16. I am also on work from home at the moment. All my kids are learning from home (university and high school) - all 3 are still getting shifts for their part-time jobs. It is getting cooler here and I spent most of today on the couch under a light blanket! My goal this month is to get moving - I want to get walking - I am going to aim for 15 minutes in the morning and then 30 minutes in the afternoon. The 15 minute will most likely be on my own but the afternoon walks with a varying number of my kids depending on their work shifts. I also really really need to cut back on my chocolate intake - it is back up to bad levels - I am just really struggling with the self-control over it. It is comfort eating I am sure - but still I just need to improve.

Social Saturday

What did you get up today that was social in our time of social distancing? or what will be the first social thing you do when we can with someone other than your immediate family?

Today I rang my mother and had a chat, then my sister rang me and we had a chat, I texted with my friend who lives about an hour away from me on and off throughout the afternoon (DD16 says we are as bad as teenagers :rotfl: ), DD and I watched "Birds of Prey - the emancipation of Harley Quinn" - It was better than I expected - the adds had me worried - but it was ok. I also did get off my but for a while and stained the frame of my swing/daybed and some of the deck sleepers that I had to flip during summer as they buckled - they have straightened out now but the colours didn't match and it has been bugging me for ages! Tomorrow I will stain the 'bed' part of my swing. It is a public holiday here on Monday - so am looking forward to an extra day to myself without work.

DS19 had a shift at Kmart today - and it was the first day of the relaxation of some restrictions here in Queensland - people were allowed to do non-essential shopping - but are supposed to apply social distancing rules - I knew it would be a mess and stayed well away. DS19 said it was horrible - as crowded as Christmas! The individual shops were 'policing' numbers in their stores - but I'm not sure that the shopping centre itself did much to limit the people there - Here in australia for shops etc. there is a 4 square meter per person rule - so shops measure up and then post on the door how many people are allowed in the store at any one time - and this is regulated by staff. So Kmart due to its size apparently can take 250 people in store - even with that large number - there was a line from the door snaking through the shopping centre at least 50 metres of people waiting to get in- DS should have taken a pic - but he doesn't really do social media and would not think to do that! He said social distancing HA it did not happen at all today. I feel frustrated because he had to work amongst it! and honestly people - Kmart has been open the whole time - and unlike in the USA they did not block off anything in the store - so really if people honestly NEEDED things this past stay at home - they could have gotten it here at any time. So really most of these people were just out for the sake of being out. I know it has been hard to stay at home - but really it just shows that common sense goes out the window when the rules get relaxed a little. It will be interesting to see if we get a spike in numbers and our state premier has said she will reinstate restrictions as needed to control the spread! Okay rant over ugh.

As for my social get together when things are over - dinner or lunch with a friend or friends - OUT - somewhere lovely but not crowded :)

Other than family, my only real social experience is on Facebook, wishing friends and family Happy Birthday, chatting on Messenger, etc. I originally joined Facebook in 2013 to monitor my DD's online activity, and ended up finding a nice way to connect with out of town/state/country family. Over the years, I've grown so close to extended family that I would only previously see at funerals and weddings. So I am very grateful to social media now for the closeness I feel with family in Canada, Arizona, Virginia, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, and even New York. Obviously I see my New York family often under normal circumstances, but right now it has to be Facebook and FaceTime. Sadly, I never get to see my brother even though he lives 5 minutes away on the same road as me. He has multiple myeloma, and cannot be exposed to germs of any kind. I haven't given my brother a proper hug and looked him in the eye in 18 months. So, I call him every so often to check up on him.

My first out of the house socializing will most likely be reuniting with my hair stylist to catch up with her (30 year relationship), and get my highlights done and get a good haircut. The other will be at the spa for a much-needed pedicure and massage. When I sprained my shoulder in December, I was getting a massage twice a week until February. I could REALLY use a massage. Acupuncture would also be nice.

Hi I'm Tammy and I come from Montana. I live outside of one of our major towns and close to a slightly smaller town. My DH and I have been together almost 22 years and have been married for almost 15.5 years. We have two DDs ages 15 and 12. Our 12 year old has profound apraxia which is a neurological condition that can have many causes including genetic. She also has developmental delays of unknown causes. We are currently waiting the results of the 2nd round of genetic testing which looks at the individual genes within the chromosomes from what I understand. This testing can take 3-4 months to get the results back under normal circumstances and was just started in mid to late March. DH works in a warehouse supplying food to places to eat away from home so is considered essential and still working though his overtime hours have been cut as his employer is strict about the 4 10s rule to the point where if they end up with 9.75 hours one day they don't make it up by working 10.25 hours the next day.
My goal this month was going to have to do with walking however I managed to fall early this morning in our master bathroom and have been put on restrictions by both DH and DD15 so I am going to change it watching how much water I drink and trying to increase that a bit by the end of the month.

What did you get up today that was social in our time of social distancing? or what will be the first social thing you do when we can with someone other than your immediate family?

We are starting to open up here in MT with churches having opened last week though our church was waiting until this Sunday to have in building services. I would like to go but my car broke down just before everything hit here. DH finally got the battery charged the other day and we thought it was an alternator that was needed for it but he was having a hard time getting it off. We had planned to take it into an auto supply store to have it tested and find the exact match for replacement. My cousin is the manager at the store we to for parts and stuff on our vehicles so I gave him a call to find out the price. He had me give him the vin number off my car and then told me there are two different models for my particular car and to pull the old one off and bring it in. They would test it for us so we would know if that was the problem and could also match it hence DH trying to get it off. He had only done one other alternator replacement before. The night before DH's car left him stranded at work so one of his supervisors brought him home and was going to give him a ride to and from work if he couldn't get his car going the next day.
DH called his dad to come pick him up and had him listen to my car when he started it up since he couldn't get the alternator off. FIL said it sounded like some rods were loose. They went into town and took a look at DH's car in the parking lot of his work. Luckily it was an easy fix as it sounds like all they needed to do was squirt a little bit of gas on the carborator since it is an older car being a 1975.
The next day my dad called and asked again if we had figured out something on my car and also if we had gotten an appointment to get our truck in to have the transmission replaced. I told him what FIL had said about it sounding like it needed a rod replacement on my car. He told me that it was not going to be worth repairing it at that point. Also that we had not gotten an appointment for the truck and of course he had to ask what was taking us so long. I told him that because one of DH's brothers had problems with the one place that does them he was not comfortable going there.
I had hardly any voice as I had been on the phone that day to the leatherwork supplies store in order find out if they had kits in both the style of lacing required to complete DDs 12 4-H project so we would know if she would need to drop it or not depending on how things worked with doing some changes based on borrowing some of FILs tools to try them as she had not liked the sound of the designs being hammered into the leather at a workshop she attended. The person running the workshop made some suggestions but we hadn't had a chance to go visit the inlaws and try them. Found out that while we have a local store for the leatherwork supplies the phone number rings into the national office. Plus the website shows that the closest store is several states away from me and the person I talked with on the phone was not able to understand what I was wanting even after my reading exactly what it said in her project book on the requirements.
I also had to call the place we are having her genetic testing done through to see if they had any idea why the blood draw would have been billed as a behavorial health as I had gotten the EOB from our insurance company that stated it was not covered because of that. Our genetic counselor couldn't see any reason why it would have been considered behavorial health by the health clinic we went though to have the blood draw done but checked iwth the genetics place business office. Right now I am waiting on the bill from the health clinic to come in the mail before I can call them unless I can find an old invoice with the number assigned to her for billing.
I looked up a few places that do transmission repairs to start calling around and gave the first one to DH to call. He got told by the person that he talked to that it might be the transfer case which is a big difference in price and got instructions on how to check to see which it was. He went out to try and start the truck only to disover that because we had removed the battery to put in his car when his went dead it wouldn't start obviously. It took him till yesterday to remove the battery from my car to put it in only to discover that there was something missing to ground the negative. I told him to call my dad and see if he had something that would work so we could get that tested. Still waiting.
Resturants are supposed to open up here starting Monday with restrictions on the number of people who can be in there at the same time keeping tables 6 feet apart and extra sanitation. non essential retail stores and places like salons opened last Monday. We still have to keep to groups of 10 or under unless from the same household which means we can visit it family and friends provided everyone is well. They opened up the tennis and basketball courts at local parks. Playgrounds are still closed as are the pools but they don't normally open up till the first part of June due to the tempatures around here.
I would like to go to church on Sunday but considering I can't get my family up in time to attend online services I doubt that will happen. We are holding off until we are in phase 2 and getting close to phase 3 before the girls and I ventrure out too much so my socialization outside the house might be visiting with either my parents or the inlaws. Both 12 year old and myself are considered at risk so we are being extra careful.

Hi I'm Tammy and I come from Montana. I live outside of one of our major towns and close to a slightly smaller town. My DH and I have been together almost 22 years and have been married for almost 15.5 years. We have two DDs ages 15 and 12. Our 12 year old has profound apraxia which is a neurological condition that can have many causes including genetic. She also has developmental delays of unknown causes. We are currently waiting the results of the 2nd round of genetic testing which looks at the individual genes within the chromosomes from what I understand. This testing can take 3-4 months to get the results back under normal circumstances and was just started in mid to late March. DH works in a warehouse supplying food to places to eat away from home so is considered essential and still working though his overtime hours have been cut as his employer is strict about the 4 10s rule to the point where if they end up with 9.75 hours one day they don't make it up by working 10.25 hours the next day.
My goal this month was going to have to do with walking however I managed to fall early this morning in our master bathroom and have been put on restrictions by both DH and DD15 so I am going to change it watching how much water I drink and trying to increase that a bit by the end of the month.

We are starting to open up here in MT with churches having opened last week though our church was waiting until this Sunday to have in building services. I would like to go but my car broke down just before everything hit here. DH finally got the battery charged the other day and we thought it was an alternator that was needed for it but he was having a hard time getting it off. We had planned to take it into an auto supply store to have it tested and find the exact match for replacement. My cousin is the manager at the store we to for parts and stuff on our vehicles so I gave him a call to find out the price. He had me give him the vin number off my car and then told me there are two different models for my particular car and to pull the old one off and bring it in. They would test it for us so we would know if that was the problem and could also match it hence DH trying to get it off. He had only done one other alternator replacement before. The night before DH's car left him stranded at work so one of his supervisors brought him home and was going to give him a ride to and from work if he couldn't get his car going the next day.
DH called his dad to come pick him up and had him listen to my car when he started it up since he couldn't get the alternator off. FIL said it sounded like some rods were loose. They went into town and took a look at DH's car in the parking lot of his work. Luckily it was an easy fix as it sounds like all they needed to do was squirt a little bit of gas on the carborator since it is an older car being a 1975.
The next day my dad called and asked again if we had figured out something on my car and also if we had gotten an appointment to get our truck in to have the transmission replaced. I told him what FIL had said about it sounding like it needed a rod replacement on my car. He told me that it was not going to be worth repairing it at that point. Also that we had not gotten an appointment for the truck and of course he had to ask what was taking us so long. I told him that because one of DH's brothers had problems with the one place that does them he was not comfortable going there.
I had hardly any voice as I had been on the phone that day to the leatherwork supplies store in order find out if they had kits in both the style of lacing required to complete DDs 12 4-H project so we would know if she would need to drop it or not depending on how things worked with doing some changes based on borrowing some of FILs tools to try them as she had not liked the sound of the designs being hammered into the leather at a workshop she attended. The person running the workshop made some suggestions but we hadn't had a chance to go visit the inlaws and try them. Found out that while we have a local store for the leatherwork supplies the phone number rings into the national office. Plus the website shows that the closest store is several states away from me and the person I talked with on the phone was not able to understand what I was wanting even after my reading exactly what it said in her project book on the requirements.
I also had to call the place we are having her genetic testing done through to see if they had any idea why the blood draw would have been billed as a behavorial health as I had gotten the EOB from our insurance company that stated it was not covered because of that. Our genetic counselor couldn't see any reason why it would have been considered behavorial health by the health clinic we went though to have the blood draw done but checked iwth the genetics place business office. Right now I am waiting on the bill from the health clinic to come in the mail before I can call them unless I can find an old invoice with the number assigned to her for billing.
I looked up a few places that do transmission repairs to start calling around and gave the first one to DH to call. He got told by the person that he talked to that it might be the transfer case which is a big difference in price and got instructions on how to check to see which it was. He went out to try and start the truck only to disover that because we had removed the battery to put in his car when his went dead it wouldn't start obviously. It took him till yesterday to remove the battery from my car to put it in only to discover that there was something missing to ground the negative. I told him to call my dad and see if he had something that would work so we could get that tested. Still waiting.
Resturants are supposed to open up here starting Monday with restrictions on the number of people who can be in there at the same time keeping tables 6 feet apart and extra sanitation. non essential retail stores and places like salons opened last Monday. We still have to keep to groups of 10 or under unless from the same household which means we can visit it family and friends provided everyone is well. They opened up the tennis and basketball courts at local parks. Playgrounds are still closed as are the pools but they don't normally open up till the first part of June due to the tempatures around here.
I would like to go to church on Sunday but considering I can't get my family up in time to attend online services I doubt that will happen. We are holding off until we are in phase 2 and getting close to phase 3 before the girls and I ventrure out too much so my socialization outside the house might be visiting with either my parents or the inlaws. Both 12 year old and myself are considered at risk so we are being extra careful.
So sorry you fell. I hope you are okay and feel back to normal soon.

My social for today, well, I've got a cat sitting next to me on the mouse pad... he's somewhat patiently waiting for me to finish posting and move over the the sofa for a good snuggle. I got out for a morning walk early, before the rain starts in earnest, so there weren't many other people out, usually it's nice to say hello to the other folks out and about.

My first things to do when restrictions fully open up... a brow/lip wax will be first, followed closely with a haircut. The waxing place is right next door to the hair place, so they'll will probably happen together.

Yesterday turned in to kind of a crappy day. In the afternoon the Governor announced extending 'stay-at-home' thru May 31. This is just so heavy. And makes me worry about people rebelling or going wild when restrictions lift.... he kept saying "Washingtonians are great, you all are doing great, and it's so great that everyone all in agreement with this approach...yadda, yadda, yadda...". Meanwhile the first protests were already gathering. But in digging thru the detail of the plan, we're already in Phase One, which includes opening up curb side pick up for non-essential retail. The target is for everything to be back open - large gatherings, restaurants/bars etc, by sometime in July.

Then shortly after the Gov wrapped up, the weekly email update came out from work and they've decided to extend the furlough for two more weeks. Dang it. This triggered the same cycle of emotions as when the furlough was first announced. But after working thru it all, I've come to the concussion that nothing has really changed except the date we go back.

Planning on spending the day on the sofa with kitty, reading. I'm still trying to finish 'Super Attractor' and then I have a new book 'The Book of Longing' coming. I ordered it from our local bookstore (I'm so over Amazon), but they can't do curbside pick-up, so I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail. It was just released late April, and on IG the author is going to start a read-along, which I thought would be fun/interesting to partake in.

Happy Saturday everyone.

Last edited:
Social Saturday

Today I rang my mother and had a chat, then my sister rang me and we had a chat, I texted with my friend who lives about an hour away from me on and off throughout the afternoon (DD16 says we are as bad as teenagers :rotfl: ), DD and I watched "Birds of Prey - the emancipation of Harley Quinn" - It was better than I expected - the adds had me worried - but it was ok. I also did get off my but for a while and stained the frame of my swing/daybed and some of the deck sleepers that I had to flip during summer as they buckled - they have straightened out now but the colours didn't match and it has been bugging me for ages! Tomorrow I will stain the 'bed' part of my swing. It is a public holiday here on Monday - so am looking forward to an extra day to myself without work.

DS19 had a shift at Kmart today - and it was the first day of the relaxation of some restrictions here in Queensland - people were allowed to do non-essential shopping - but are supposed to apply social distancing rules - I knew it would be a mess and stayed well away. DS19 said it was horrible - as crowded as Christmas! The individual shops were 'policing' numbers in their stores - but I'm not sure that the shopping centre itself did much to limit the people there - Here in australia for shops etc. there is a 4 square meter per person rule - so shops measure up and then post on the door how many people are allowed in the store at any one time - and this is regulated by staff. So Kmart due to its size apparently can take 250 people in store - even with that large number - there was a line from the door snaking through the shopping centre at least 50 metres of people waiting to get in- DS should have taken a pic - but he doesn't really do social media and would not think to do that! He said social distancing HA it did not happen at all today. I feel frustrated because he had to work amongst it! and honestly people - Kmart has been open the whole time - and unlike in the USA they did not block off anything in the store - so really if people honestly NEEDED things this past stay at home - they could have gotten it here at any time. So really most of these people were just out for the sake of being out. I know it has been hard to stay at home - but really it just shows that common sense goes out the window when the rules get relaxed a little. It will be interesting to see if we get a spike in numbers and our state premier has said she will reinstate restrictions as needed to control the spread! Okay rant over ugh.

As for my social get together when things are over - dinner or lunch with a friend or friends - OUT - somewhere lovely but not crowded :)
Yikes! Was he able to wear a mask?

My social for today, well, I've got a cat sitting next to me on the mouse pad... he's somewhat patiently waiting for me to finish posting and move over the the sofa for a good snuggle. I got out for a morning walk early, before the rain starts in earnest, so there weren't many other people out, usually it's nice to say hello to the other folks out and about.

My first things to do when restrictions fully open up... a brow/lip wax will be first, followed closely with a haircut. The waxing place is right next door to the hair place, so they'll will probably happen together.

Yesterday turned in to kind of a crappy day. In the afternoon the Governor announced extending 'stay-at-home' thru May 31. This is just so heavy. And makes me worry about people rebelling or going wild when restrictions lift.... he kept saying "Washingtonians are great, you all are doing great, and it's so great that everyone all in agreement with this approach...yadda, yadda, yadda...". Meanwhile the first protests were already gathering. But in digging thru the detail of the plan, we're already in Phase One, which includes opening up curb side pick up for non-essential retail. The target is for everything to be back open - large gatherings, restaurants/bars etc, by sometime in July.

Then shortly after the Gov wrapped up, the weekly email update came out from work and they've decided to extend the furlough for two more weeks. Dang it. This triggered the same cycle of emotions as when the furlough was first announced. But after working thru it all, I've come to the concussion that nothing has really changed except the date we go back.

Planning on spending the day on the sofa with kitty, reading. I'm still trying to finish 'Super Attractor' and then I have a new book 'The Book of Longing' coming. I ordered it from our local bookstore (I'm so over Amazon), but they can't do curbside pick-up, so I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail. It was just released late April, and on IG the author is going to start a read-along, which I thought would be fun/interesting to partake in.

Happy Saturday everyone.
Sorry that your furlough was extended. I think that you are handling it all really well.

I've come to accept that we are all riding on a rollercoaster, and we never know what is around the next corner. I've also come to accept that I can only control myself and how I react to things that are happening outside of my control. I try to deal with my current reality as well as I can. I cry when I need to cry, and I usually feel better afterward. I'm concentrating on today, and have hope for tomorrow.

I am trying to have faith; I am trying to be hopeful; I am trying to have a sense of humor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!