MAY 2020 WISH Challenge - Anything is Possible

My motivation this week is to make the days longer by getting up and getting going earlier in the mornings. This morning I got out for my morning walk at 7am (had been sleeping till 8:30ish). Tomorrow Phase 1 of restriction lifting starts, so I'll head down to the beach for my morning walk... sunrise is at 5:45am right now, so I'm going to try to get out of the house around that time. We'll see how that goes.

Next up this morning is a big adventure... a trip to the hardware store. They've been open all along as essential, I just didn't think it was essential for me to go there, until now. I've got a list of about a dozen things to pick up. Last evening my neighborhood yarn store sent out an email saying they'll resume curb side pickup tomorrow, as that is part of the Phase 1 plan for retail. This made me extremely happy... I don't need anything from them, it was just the sense of things moving forward. I'm hoping that the neighborhood bookstore will also resume curb-side pick up soon, so that the next book I order doesn't have to be shipped... I'm still waiting for the one I ordered last week. I'm also hopefully that we (my company) will resume curb side pick up.

The other thing that made me incredibly happy last evening is the under desk cycle... it came yesterday and I love it, absolutely love it. I'm so glad I went ahead and paid for one of the more expensive/better quality ones because it is smooth and quiet and heavy, so it doesn't shift around. I peddled for an hour last night and was concerned I might be feeling it this morning, but all is good.

I got in a quick walk on the beach. I have to start going much earlier. With the rise of temperatures, 68 degrees today, there were more people not distancing socially. In my state, the governor mandated wearing masks in public, no social gathering, etc. Nobody was wearing masks except for two people, and one of them had his mask hanging around his neck so he could smoke a cigarette. :sad2: There were several play dates at the beach. It was as if people were completely oblivious to the threat...like I was the only one who knew about the pandemic. As of two days ago, there were over 29,000 cases in CT and 2,500 deaths. How many people have to die for people to stop being selfish and do as they are ordered to do?

My Noom coach reached out to me today. I'm being completely honest about the fact that I am not motivated to lose weight right now. I don't think he knows what to do with me. I know I should at least try. At least I am maintaining.

On a more positive note, I accomplished a lot working from home today. I held virtual class, graded papers online, and posted new assignments.

I am drawing some motivation from something I was researching as a strategy for a student last week haha. I was doing some reading on executive functioning and a theory is for some kids their motivation to do something is impacted by their difficulty to imagine it or imagine themselves doing it well. Also how far in the future something is affects our ability to imagine/envision it - the older we get the further away something can be. It got me thinking that I tend to think of losing weight as a big far away imagining e.g. losing 20kgs - which obviously I have trouble imagining myself be able to do! So there is this simple little program I came accross 'get ready, do, done' - I start with 'done' and write down, draw or take a picture of what it looks like when I am done - I might even think about how it will feel when I am done. Then I move back a step to 'do' - what do I need to do and make a plan for how to do it. Then I go back another step to 'get ready' and work out what I need to get ready to for the do step. Then I go back to do and do it and then I am done! So many of us do this very easily without thinking (make a plan in our head, workout the best way to do it and done!) and I do this for so many things in my life really well. But this weight loss - fix my health thing is hard! I mean I can imagine myself thinner and healthier and picture myself in cute outfits and running down the beach playing soccer with my kids - but I really struggle with the get ready and do steps! Oh and you are supposed to have a halfway way pause to see if you are on track and if their are any 'time robbers' that are stopping you from getting to 'done' and make a plan to overcome them. Hmm I think this week I want to imagine my scale going to down by just 1kg by Sunday (and staying there!) I just really need a win at the moment, even a small one) - I will go and do my get ready, do, done plan for it and share it with you all a bit later - If I post it on here it might help keep me accountable.

I am drawing some motivation from something I was researching as a strategy for a student last week haha. I was doing some reading on executive functioning and a theory is for some kids their motivation to do something is impacted by their difficulty to imagine it or imagine themselves doing it well. Also how far in the future something is affects our ability to imagine/envision it - the older we get the further away something can be. It got me thinking that I tend to think of losing weight as a big far away imagining e.g. losing 20kgs - which obviously I have trouble imagining myself be able to do! So there is this simple little program I came accross 'get ready, do, done' - I start with 'done' and write down, draw or take a picture of what it looks like when I am done - I might even think about how it will feel when I am done. Then I move back a step to 'do' - what do I need to do and make a plan for how to do it. Then I go back another step to 'get ready' and work out what I need to get ready to for the do step. Then I go back to do and do it and then I am done! So many of us do this very easily without thinking (make a plan in our head, workout the best way to do it and done!) and I do this for so many things in my life really well. But this weight loss - fix my health thing is hard! I mean I can imagine myself thinner and healthier and picture myself in cute outfits and running down the beach playing soccer with my kids - but I really struggle with the get ready and do steps! Oh and you are supposed to have a halfway way pause to see if you are on track and if their are any 'time robbers' that are stopping you from getting to 'done' and make a plan to overcome them. Hmm I think this week I want to imagine my scale going to down by just 1kg by Sunday (and staying there!) I just really need a win at the moment, even a small one) - I will go and do my get ready, do, done plan for it and share it with you all a bit later - If I post it on here it might help keep me accountable.
I know it’s not for everyone, but the WW program checked off those boxes for me. Get Ready-found a meeting near me at a convenient location and time. Do-learned to adapt the program to our lives. I never did separate meals for my family. We ate real food and eliminated or reduced (slowly) processed foods. We ate food we liked! Done-watched the weight come off (at a slow, but steady rate) and when it didn’t, added up those 1 and 1 1/2 lb losses to keep motivated. And now to keep doing what worked for me to maintain my weight loss.

It sounds like you’re ready to make the changes necessary for your goals! It doesn’t matter how we get there, just that we take that first step!

8F4A8C00-E464-4306-A02D-695AE101CB06.jpeg

My Noom coach reached out to me today. I'm being completely honest about the fact that I am not motivated to lose weight right now. I don't think he knows what to do with me. I know I should at least try. At least I am maintaining.

Sometimes in times of high stress which we are all under right now maintaining where things are at is the best thing. I have found that there are times when I am not motivated myself to loose weight and it's during those times of high stress. Fair Week with everything we have going on that week which actually startes even before the fair opens: Monday judging of all exhibits that are not animals, Wednesday if needed Best of Class award set up and possibly club booth decorating. Thursday possibly club booth decorating. There are 3 times for this with 2 of them on Thursday and we have been told the club we are now in does it at one time with everyone participating. Since the organizational leader works I can guarantee it will be one of the two evening times. (Used to have Rabbit check in either Thursday or Friday but don't do that anymore, manditory small animal meeting on Friday along with Rabbit Hopping) Saturday possibly 15 year old's interview for small animal all around if they get to her which means we have to hang around all day because they don't do scheduled appointment times as we learned last year and she got disqualified, also quiz bowl. Sunday hanging around for that small animal all around interview if not done on Saturday. At least we won't have to deal with show on Saturday and caring for animals and keeping areas cleaned on Sunday, Monday would have had bring rabbits home if still showing them plus clean up but don't, Tuesday non animal awards and if they were still doing sewing and stuff fashion review, Wednesday Food Festival (Edible Art), Friday All Class Judging and Small Animal All around if 15 year old places well enough with her cat to get in either automatically or by being bumped up from someone placing in the top 2 with another species and going with that instead of cat, Satuday Animal Awards. In addition club time for working ice cream booth, club time for an educational activity, time to schedule demonstrations, hospitality (serving cookies or popcorn) and performing arts usually on other days that we are already down there. On Wednesday some years we did Costume Animal Parade but not every year. Having to find places to park all the time and even though we have a different lot for exhibitors due to having piles of dirt everywhere from the construction they have going on back there it is a challenge (new show arena and barn for horses followed by an equipment barn for the different equipment the fairgrounds has so far. Considering the conditions of the older racing barns and that there is no place to host rodeo horses wouldn't surprise me if more old barns come down and new ones go up to have more spaces. 1/2 of the parking that there is is in areas that can get muddy if it rains and they are not hauling in gravel unless necessay or until all the work is done because the construction equipment is just going to tear it up where it's not paved.

Called around on transmission repair for my truck today along with calling to see what we are looking at switching our insurance from the car I was driving (since it's not going anywhere) to the truck in order to still keep our multi vehicle discount or what we are looking at just dropping to DH's car and only having the multi line discount since our house insurance is with the same company. A little over a dollar savings to switch it to the truck and about $25 savings to drop down to just DH's car. A lot was going to depend on if we went with the place that we have the money for getting the transmission done on the truck even though the milage is lower on the warrantee (years are the same) or going with the place we would have to save up a bit more to afford it. I needed to talk with my dad and see what he thought with the milage different on the warantee.
Advice was good and was go with the lower priced place and have them tow it in since they will give us a discounted rate on their towing side if they are doing the transmission rebuilt if they don't charge an arm and a leg. Called them and it's seems reasonable to me but I will talk with DH when he calls on his dinner break in a few hours and see what he thinks. Talking with my dad came with a you need to get things cleaned up lecture, umm excuse me there is only so much I can do with my disability not that it counts in some of my family's book because if I would just loose that weight I could do things more easier and everything. I am getting little to no help from my DH and 15 year old and 12 year old needs super close supervision so we stick with simple jobs for her like pick up very spefic items like soda cans and put them here. Ok now pick up the next item. You can't tell her the yard needs to be picked up put the trash in the garbage, cans that have gotten loose in the recycling bags, ect because she won't remember it. She is willing to help though. The lecture was not good to have to listen to. Talking with my dad also came with some fresh cut asparagus from along the ditch line which is good. I am going to see if anyone else wants some if not I am having it all to myself. Also got told that we need to get the truck cleaned out.

Dinner tonight is homemade pizzas. I have 15 year old to work on those. I offered to brown up meats while the crust was rising but she told me she would get it later. I have a load of laundry in the washer and might work on picking up other stuff on my bathroom floor so I can put the cart that we use by the tub and shower and the laundry hamper in better spots to make it more functual. I know that I won't get help in doing this picking up the house. Found out 15 year old couldn't find any burger in the freezer so we are just having the breakfast pizza and saving the 2nd crust for later. Will either do a cheese, sausage, or pepperoni one for lunch tomorrow without a lot of work.

Okay my plan for this week:

Done: The scale will have 96.3Kg or less Sunday morning. I will feel - satisfied that I have lost and maintained that loss over the week.
Do: Stick to daily food plan, walk twice a day, Get out of bed by 7am, Brush teeth at 8pm, weigh in each morning
Get Ready: Stick my GDD plan on the fridge to see everyday, put walking clothes at the end of the bed each night, set alarm for morning, set alarm to brush teeth each night to limit night time snacking, Meal plan, shop, pre-prep as much as possible, plan for snacks that will incorporate chocolate to satisfy craving but aiming to limit general daily intake of choc :)
Halfway check: Thursday - review honestly eating other elements of plan - reset and create strategies for any roadblocks so far.

Talking with my dad came with a you need to get things cleaned up lecture, umm excuse me there is only so much I can do with my disability not that it counts in some of my family's book because if I would just loose that weight I could do things more easier and everything. I am getting little to no help from my DH and 15 year old and 12 year old needs super close supervision so we stick with simple jobs for her like pick up very spefic items like soda cans and put them here.

Family relationships and weight loss are so complex. When I was younger and didn't have to work on it - I really didn't 'get it' for other people with weight issues really either. I am a health professional, who knows better and I still struggle with the complexity of this weight journey. Hang in there - looking after yourself as a parent when your daughter has high special needs comes with difficulties other parents don't have :)

Tuesday Question - Are you doing anything today to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in a healthy way?
My husband seemed so excited that this year Cinco de Mayo falls on Taco Tuesday. It doesn’t really excite me as much. I planned on making chicken fajita rice bowls (using brown rice for a healthier option). They are basically sautéd onions and peppers with shredded chicken, mixed with a packet of fajita seasonings and some chicken broth. Put that on top of a bowl of rice. Yum!!!! A few neighbors have planned a social distance gathering with margaritas in the driveways. Not sure yet if we’ll be partaking in that. Depends how the day goes.

Tuesday Question - Are you doing anything today to celebrate Cinco de Mayo in a healthy way?

I plan to make taco salads for lunch, with some leftover chicken, but that’s about it.

Honestly, I hadn't thought about it, but maybe I'll make something mexican-ish for dinner. I"ll have to be creative though, my next grocery pickup isn't until Thursday! My family loves taco salad, but we just had that last week, so probably won't do that (I probably don't have enough lettuce right not anyway). I'll have to look over my options when I go home for lunch.

I have some leftover chicken chili (MickeyMom76’s awesome recipe) that that I will spread on roasted slices of cauliflower and top with a little cheese. Pop them in the broiler and top with some avocado and the last of my tomatoes. We don’t have any tequila, so no margaritas, but will have a glass of white wine. Hopefully it’s nice enough to eat on the deck.

This past week and this week are so busy with work. By the end of the work day I have no desire to get on the computer so I am really far behind. I am also dealing with some stomach issues. I am working on trying to figure out what is causing it. I though tit was the milk and cheese I have been having lately, so I have stopped eating them. But the stomach issues have continued. I was thinking maybe it was the salad I was was eating, because that is another thing that causes it. Usually not until I have it for a few days though and I was sick after the first night of eating it. So I have stopped eating it as well. I am still having issues. I just don't know where this is coming from. We have a history of Celiacs in my family. My mom and uncle (my mom's brother) both have it and we suspect that my grandma does as well. They never tested m grandma because she was already in a nursing home with Alzheimer and they figured they would let her enjoy what time she had left. Though it has been close to 10 years now and she is going strong. Just her mind is gone. I was tested for celiacs after my moms diagnosis but I did not have it then. It can show up at any time. I need to just wait this out and if it doesn't get better I will need to get checked out. Just another thing to add to the list.

We are not doing anything special for Cinco de Mayo. It was nothing we ever celebrated in the past most likely because I am not a fan of Mexican food.

it is going to be a stressful few months of constantly self-debating if any symptoms are in the Covid realm :sad2:

I can understand this. I know in my area they have done some antibody testing and can trace back so far that we have had it hear since mid January. I suspect it was earlier then that though as our flu season was really bad this year with a lot ending up with pneumonia. I read an article that said France thinks they have had in their county since December. They were going back and testing people that past way from what they thought was the flu.

With permission from my principal and my students’ parents, I drive around to my students houses yesterday and delivered cups of planted Daisy seeds. I wore my Minnie Mouse ears and Mickey Mouse mask and some rubber gloves to make the delivery while they stayed inside their house. Once o stepped away, most came out to talk a little. It was so good to see them and chat with both the students and their parents. It was a little similar to conferences, but I was receiving the feedback this time. I was asking how things are going and what they enjoy doing at home. I asked which school activities they enjoy. It was really great, but also a little exhausting. But I’m so glad I did it!

This is awesome.

Cinco de Mayo --- I have a tamale in the fridge, that I can have for lunch... woop woop. I would love a large fruity margarita but I don't see that happening.

I kicked the week off right yesterday, really mixing things up. I went to the hardware store at opening and got everything on my list, except grass seed, dang it. Plus they didn't have very many outdoor plants, they got bought up over the weekend, so I'll be going back Thursday morning. When I got done there I didn't feel like going home so I drove to the pet store to pick up some cat food, it's a couple communities over so a nice drive... I've been ordering cat food on line, but no more, from now on I'll go get it. Then I still wasn't ready to go home so I took a scenic route down along the water where there's a cute little beach community.

Mid-day I decided I had to get a frying pan, I've been cooking out of an 8" and really need a 10". The fancy grocery store has a nice home-wares department, so for the first time in two months I went to the grocery store in the middle of the day. It's really the first time I've been away from home at all in the middle of the day, and I liked it and will do it again. The store wasn't packed with people, but half of them weren't wearing masks... grrrr.

This morning I went for my first walk down at the beach and it felt so good. I think after lunch I'm going to go for another drive, because I feel like breaking the day up that way helps it to not go by so fast.

Yesterday they announced the actual date that retail stores and salons can re-open... June 1. Guess who has a hair appointment at 9am on June 1 - yep, this gal. I'm so glad I thought to check if they had opened up online booking, as I want to get in/out before a lot of people have been in the place.

Oh happy day!

The tri-state area in which I live (NY, NJ, & CT) has a rapidly growing Hispanic/Latino population, especially in the city where I teach. Cinco De Mayo is a part of my Social Studies curriculum. My students' assignments for today are all Cinco De Mayo related. It is also an excuse to go out to Mexican Restaurants and celebrate drinking Margaritas and Coronas (LOL). Everyone I know is excited that Cinco De Mayo is falling on Taco Tuesday.

We will be having Tacos and Margaritas tonite for dinner.🌮🍸

I forgot to post some good news. Schools in Connecticut are officially closed for the school year. So I can continue to be safe at home. I've adapted to distance learning, and honestly, I wish that was the plan in place for the next school year. I can't imagine how we will socially distance and teach young children at the same time. Anyway, I'm good until the end of August, which gives me peace of mind. I am scheduled to clear out my classroom on May 28th. I already did a lot when we were first sent home in March. I had a feeling this would happen, so I took the opportunity back then. I will do the rest on the 28th, and grab the kids report cards and some more books so that I can finish the remainder of the year from home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter