May 2018 Pre Trip and Trip Report

Went to MK today. We had a tour of the Steam Trains/System. The tour started at 7:30am and lasted until 10:45am. This is a good tour and gives you a background of Walt Disney and his love of trains.

st1.jpg
The above pic is of our tour guide for the Steam Trains tour. Note the empty Main street:-)
st2.jpg
st3.jpg

Last edited:

Campsite flag with character autographs, that's genius :worship:.

Yeah, DW came up with that idea. When the kids were little, we would get shirts for the characters to sign. When we got the camper last summer, we decided to try something different.

One more pic from EMH at MK on Wednesday night (actually early Thursday morning). The full moon was spectacular!
8548.jpeg
We got a slow start on Thursday. Made it to HS for for a noon FP on rocking roller coaster, then ToT. Had a quick bite from Fairfax Fare, then over to see Star Lord & Baby Groot. Waited standby for Toy Story; the posted wait time was 55 min, but actual was about 25. On the way out, we found a custodial artist pairing with his broom and water.
8544.jpeg
After a short rest back at the camper, we biked over to WL to meet friends for dinner at Wispering Canyon. Saw a turkey and several deer on the way over. We arrived at WL just as a monsoon started. Luckily, the bike tracks are covered over there. The food was fine, but we've been there twice and both times, we sat at the same table and had their same waiter.

We arrived back at the marina Judy in time for fireworks, but most of them were up in the low cloud layer.
8552.jpeg 8555.jpeg
We continued back to the camper and started a campfire to finish the evening with s'mores.
8558.jpeg 8562.jpeg

As a side note, I tried too cancel a lunch reservation for tomorrow just after 11 pm. The MDE app told me it was too close to cancel online and I had to call; of course they were closed. However, I could modify the reservation to Saturday, then can cancel it. I love loopholes!

There is not a June thread pointed yet, so I'll continue to pray here for now. Tomorrow (June 3) is our departure day. It's also DW's and my 29th anniversary - celebrating with brunch at California Grill. I will fill in the last coupled of days when I get back home, but couldn't resist one pictures from Friday. We didn't think you could make chipmunks any cuter, but Disney pulled out off. Chip & Dale in dinosaur costumes are about the cutest thing ever!
8619.jpeg

Last edited:
Left the Fort around 10am Saturday, June 2 :-( we arrived at Stephen Foster State Park around 4pm ... I75 was a verrrrrry slow moving parking lot basically from the Turnpike to about Gainesville. A semi truck had turned over in the southbound lane of I75 just south of Gainesville. Other than rubber neckers, I didn't see any reason the north bound lane of i75 was so slow.

Anyway, got set up at SFSP just in time for mother nature to dump her tears ... and she had a whole bunch of tears.

Decided to call it quits and come home a day early, today. Glad to be home ... until next time, y'all have a magical day :-)

Last edited:
thank you for your pictures & adventures! Belated Happy Birthday to your DW. Best place in the world to celebrate your special day!!

Friday was a resort hoping day for us. We went to Port Orleans first. At Riverside, we rented a 4-person surry bike and made the loop twice.
8585.jpeg
Then took the boat over to French Quarter for a parade...
8588.jpeg
and beignets.
8591.jpeg
DW meet the Ambassador.
8594.jpeg
Next, we made our way to Art of Animation.
8597.jpeg
and a walk over the bridge to Pop Century.
8624.jpeg
Construction is proceeding on the Skyliner station, which in in the water between Art & Pop Century.
8605.jpeg
In the distance, the land-based supports are already in place.
8600.jpeg

Finally at Art of Animation, it was time for the character drawing class! It was Bolt today.
8625.jpeg
8626.jpeg
8607.jpeg
We had a blast!

Next, we went to the Boardwalk and caught the boat to Epcot around 7:00pm. Got orange slushie drinks in France and made our way for a FP+ at Mission Space. Caught Illuminations on the way back out to the Boardwalk. We watched a few street performers as we made our way around to Beaches & Cream. We got seated just before the 11:00 closing. We each ordered a sandwich (the Plaza reuben is better), and the Kitchen Sink!
8613.jpeg
We were the only ones left when we finally finished just before midnight. It takes a straw to get the good melted stuff at the bottom!
8655.jpeg
It was a long slow walk back to the truck parked at the Boardwalk.

By the time we finished the Kitchen Sink around midnight, we realized it was probably not a good plan to schedule breakfast at Kona Cafe the next morning, but it was too late to cancel. So...
8616.jpeg

After breakfast, we made our way to AK. After FPs at the UP Bird show, EE, and FOP, we headed back to the Fort early. DS & GF headed over to MK while DW and I headed to the Sing-a-Long and movie. Saturday was teh 65th anniversary of the release of Peter Pan, so all the resorts were showing it and handing out commemorative posters. Got Chip & Dale's signatures on the flag and a quick picture.
8623.jpeg
We got burgers from the food truck and they were very good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!