May 2018 Pre Trip and Trip Report

My husband threw around the word “hotel” but what are the 6 of us supposed to do locked in a little room? I will convince him to take the popup.

Doesn't sound like the husband is into camping … perhaps it's the pop-up. Maybe convince him that a TT, FW, or MH would be the way to go. You could rent a TT and try that :D

Doesn't sound like the husband is into camping … perhaps it's the pop-up. Maybe convince him that a TT, FW, or MH would be the way to go. You could rent a TT and try that :D

In all fairness, he loves the popup and the types of experiences it’s given us as a family (plus the foam bed mattress is more comfortable than my home bed). He does hate packing it up wet and then having to open it up right when we get home to avoid mold. We dealt with mold when we first got it and it’s no joke.

We would like to upgrade to a hybrid trailer but my kids are growing up and they won’t want to come on these vacations so then I feel we should just stay with the little popup. I’m torn because i like how the popup forces us to live outside since there’s no room to hang out inside but I love the ease of packing up and organizing with a larger trailer.

*Mention British Sandwich Week at your nearest Earl of Sandwich® to receive that day's $5 featured sandwich. Offer available only at participating Earl of Sandwich® locations, while supplies last. Valid on In-Store Purchases only. Not valid with any other offers or discounts. May 21 - 25

D-Day (Disney World Day) is getting closer for us. Loaded the FW with our clothes and other incidentals yesterday. Will load the fridge on Friday. Our first stop, Saturday evening, will be Paynes Prairie State Park just south of Gainesville. Hope to pull into the Fort mid-morning of the 27th. HDDR Sunday night, nothing planned for Monday since it's Memorial Day I figure the parks will be slammed. FP for FOP Tuesday evening along with ROL. Thursday morning the tour of the trains. Other than the couple of commitments, we plan to just kick back and relax and check out everything the Fort has to offer. Leave the Fort June 2nd and stopping along the way back at Stephen Foster State Park for 2 days.

We got home Tuesday night. Our first trip camping was eventful. We were there last Wed the 16th. It RAINED. We were in site 1501 (barely fit in our huge tent) and were actually lucky because I think that site is more elevated than a lot of other sites. We got just a little rain in the corners of the tent. Some people were totally flooded. We ended up having to pack up in the rain in the morning which was a bit of a challenge. We made it through though. :)

The kids LOVED the Fort. They fell in love with tether ball and now want one in our yard. We enjoyed Trails End but have decided that if we eat there again we won't do it on check out day. We had to rush to make it. Luckily the restaurant wasn't busy so it was no big deal that we were a few minutes late.

I ended up getting bit by something that turned into an infection. Ended up at the clinic in Walgreens on Saturday. Have no idea what it was but the bites almost instantly got infected. I'm thinking some sort of spider. I've never had this happen before.

I think DH might even agree to camp again if it was longer than one night.

Glad you had a good time Shannon (guess based on the screen name),

Rain and tent camping isn't usually the best mix, but if your DH was willing to give it another go, it sounds like it went pretty good. I have seen some of those tent pads at the Fort that quickly turn into a small pond. Good thing is the coquina drains pretty fast. I hope the bite heals fast. That's never fun to bring home from a trip.

When's the next trip?

j

We got home Tuesday night. Our first trip camping was eventful. We were there last Wed the 16th. It RAINED. We were in site 1501 (barely fit in our huge tent) and were actually lucky because I think that site is more elevated than a lot of other sites. We got just a little rain in the corners of the tent. Some people were totally flooded. We ended up having to pack up in the rain in the morning which was a bit of a challenge. We made it through though. :)

The kids LOVED the Fort. They fell in love with tether ball and now want one in our yard. We enjoyed Trails End but have decided that if we eat there again we won't do it on check out day. We had to rush to make it. Luckily the restaurant wasn't busy so it was no big deal that we were a few minutes late.

I ended up getting bit by something that turned into an infection. Ended up at the clinic in Walgreens on Saturday. Have no idea what it was but the bites almost instantly got infected. I'm thinking some sort of spider. I've never had this happen before.

I think DH might even agree to camp again if it was longer than one night.

Glad it was positive overall for you, Shannon. The Fort is a GREAT place for kids to be kids.

In the past we have used Trails End for dinner on our arrival day (especially if we get on our site later than what I'd like). After a day of setting up and doing all that work, who feels like cooking?

Bama Ed

PS - I've been known to do the TE breakfast on checkout day too, especially when it's the weekend brunch. :teeth:

I've been known to do the TE breakfast on checkout day too, especially when it's the weekend brunch. :teeth:
I might try that in September. We are only going to Gulf State Park on our checkout day instead of making the 16 hr drive through to StL.

j

Anyone know what the land clearing at the end of the overflow parking lot is for?

Made it to the Fort today about 1pm, I requested loop 1600 or 1800 ... got 1809. Nice site, right against the canal. We stayed at Paynes Prarie State Park last night. It's just south of Gainesville so we didn't have far to drive this morning. Ran into a whole bunch of rain on I-75 and the Turnpike so it took us a little longer to get here than we anticipated. No big deal though. Doing the HDDR this evening and probably not going to any parks tomorrow.

I'll post some pics of our site later. The weather is going to be iffy for the next couple days due to Alberto. Ha, looks like it is headed right toward our home area in the Panhandle of Florida. I did some storm preparations prior to leaving so everything should be fine when we return home.

Last edited:
We made it to the Ocala rest area about midnight. Drove through some light rain and one heavier storm, but nothing bad.

Drove into the Fort this morning and arrived about 7:30. At check-in, they assigned us an available site in the 2100 loop, but it was too small. Got assigned a site in 1900, not sure which one yet.

Now, we are at Amorette's where DW is decorating her birthday cake; Minnie Mouse!

Ahhh! Love all the excitement! We have 15 months before our next trip, so I need more people to live vicariously through!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter