May 15, 2019 "chartered"

swooshbear

Mouseketeer
I have wanted to do the repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver for awhile (sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge would be cool and I would not need to take a day off for the San Francisco port day since I work less than a mile from the cruise terminal) and was looking forward to booking it last week. It wasn't in the announcement but I gave Costco/Disney a call anyway since I had a placeholder to use. Costco, via Disney, told me that the May 15th was most likely "chartered".

The last time I saw a chartered DCL cruise was on the Magic a few years ago, it was a TCM (Turner Classic Movie) cruise. Just wondering who would charter this cruise? I thought maybe DVC for a Member Cruise? But this doesn't seem like the most attractive itinerary for a Member Cruise.

I have wanted to do the repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver for awhile (sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge would be cool and I would not need to take a day off for the San Francisco port day since I work less than a mile from the cruise terminal) and was looking forward to booking it last week. It wasn't in the announcement but I gave Costco/Disney a call anyway since I had a placeholder to use. Costco, via Disney, told me that the May 15th was most likely "chartered".

The last time I saw a chartered DCL cruise was on the Magic a few years ago, it was a TCM (Turner Classic Movie) cruise. Just wondering who would charter this cruise? I thought maybe DVC for a Member Cruise? But this doesn't seem like the most attractive itinerary for a Member Cruise.

my guess a dvc member cruise. It doesn’t have to be a attractive itinerary for a dvc cruise to sell out. Than they get a premium price from dvc members.dvc usual charters Once a year.

You were planning on working a day on your cruise. Why don’t you just enjoy the ship while in port instead of going to work if you were able to take this cruise?

I'm hoping it will be a Member Cruise, haven't done one yet and it's on our bucket list.

I work so close to the port, I could go back to the ship for lunch, eat at Cabanas and still be back in less than an hour. Plus I wouldn't need to take any PTO for that day.

I have wanted to do the repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver for awhile (sailing under the Golden Gate Bridge would be cool and I would not need to take a day off for the San Francisco port day since I work less than a mile from the cruise terminal) and was looking forward to booking it last week..
So your plan was to go to work during the stop in San Francisco?

I'm hoping it will be a Member Cruise, haven't done one yet and it's on our bucket list.

I work so close to the port, I could go back to the ship for lunch, eat at Cabanas and still be back in less than an hour. Plus I wouldn't need to take any PTO for that day.

my guess a dvc member cruise. It doesn’t have to be a attractive itinerary for a dvc cruise to sell out. Than they get a premium price from dvc members.dvc usual charters Once a year.

You were planning on working a day on your cruise. Why don’t you just enjoy the ship while in port instead of going to work if you were able to take this cruise?

In OP’s defense I would probably go to work too in the same situation!

Yeah, I live here so no point in doing any of the excursions (although I've lived here my entire life and have never been on Alcatraz). I don't think I would miss much in terms of activities on the ship, maybe a round of bingo? I can save this PTO day for another Disney cruise :)

Yeah, I live here so no point in doing any of the excursions (although I've lived here my entire life and have never been on Alcatraz). I don't think I would miss much in terms of activities on the ship, maybe a round of bingo? I can save this PTO day for another Disney cruise :)

You are a better person than I. No way would I go to work on a day in the middle of my vacation.

I think what you're proposing is actually against maritime cruise law. :)

Curious as to why? I live in NY and took the TA from Port Canaveral to Copenhagen in 2015. Our first stop was NYC which is about 25 minutes from our house. I was tempted to go home for the afternoon and drop off/pick up some things but decided against it. Instead I called my son and drove what I needed down to me and I dropped off clothing I realized I would not need. I got off the ship and met him right in front of the terminal.

What would be against maritime law about visiting your work while you were in port?

MJ

haha...usually I pick up on humor....I think the tragedy in Miami today got me in a more serious mood.

MJ

I actually think this would be really funny! Since OP works in San Francisco it's probably not that interesting to him as a tourist destination. Plus showing up to work and telling everyone where you're going for lunch would definitely make for some strange reactions.

It would give me piece of mind that things weren’t falling apart and would let me relax better for the rest of the trip. I also really try to maximize my PTO, so for me it would be a win win.

I actually think this would be really funny! Since OP works in San Francisco it's probably not that interesting to him as a tourist destination. Plus showing up to work and telling everyone where you're going for lunch would definitely make for some strange reactions.
Until the boss came in and said anyone in the office had to stay and work on an emergency project.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!