MaxPass, one area of confusion

Belle5

DIS Veteran
I cut and pasted this from a trip report by midnight star:

"booked Radiator Springs for 12:45 pm (we chose to wait the 90 minutes.
Winnie the Pooh- 0 minute wait
Roger Rabbit-15 minute wait time.. 90 minutes were up while in line... booked Guardians of the Galaxy maxpass for 12:50 pm
Small World- 5 min wait
Haunted Mansion- 13 min wait...90 minutes were up sometime after this ride and while eating beignets...booked Incredicoaster for 12:30 pm"

I thought you can only book one fastpass through MP at a time. Midnight Star had RSR at 12:45, GoG 12:50 and Incredicoaster at 12:30. I know it's my misunderstanding but please explain how to have so many FP at once!

You should be able to book another when either the window opens or 90 minutes have passed. Especially early in the day with fast return times, this will allow some to be stacked up like that.

You can do the same with paper FP. You just have to wait for the window to open or 2 hours (instead of 90 minutes) to pass.

Do I understand this correctly? If MaxPass offers me a ride on the app, I am eligible to grab it? Or will it offer me rides and then flash a message that I am ineligible because of overlap or not enough time has elapsed or something? Thank you!

Oh, one more thing. If I don't purchase hoppers, will MP only offer rides from one park?

Do I understand this correctly? If MaxPass offers me a ride on the app, I am eligible to grab it? Or will it offer me rides and then flash a message that I am ineligible because of overlap or not enough time has elapsed or something? Thank you!

Oh, one more thing. If I don't purchase hoppers, will MP only offer rides from one park?
Yes if you are eligible to grab it will let you if not it will say you are not eligible for another selection until a certain time. Trust me time has never ran slower than when i am waiting that last minute or two to grab my next MP 1 minute feels like 10.

Not sure about hoppers vs one park. I have a AP and family always gets hoppers. But when getting a MP it has you select a park.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/#post-58222160
The above thread should answer your question. Yes, you can hold more than one FP at a time with MP (known as "stacking FPs"), but not more than one for the same ride unless you ride that ride first. So, if you have a FP for RSR and want another FP, you'll have to use your first RSR FP, then book another RSR FP. Make sense?

The original post put that the times over lap ... One fast pass was at 12:45 and then the next at 12:50 .. Could those times be right? Can you over lap them like that, the windows? I know you can stack and either wait till you scan or the 90 minutes but wasn't aware they would open that soon after .. Guess I was thinking like at DW where it cannot be within the same hour ... So if you scan to go on a ride at 12:00 with a fast pass window of 12 - 1 and you check the app and theres a 12:20 Fast past you can then grab that one, then essentially go right after?

The original post put that the times over lap ... One fast pass was at 12:45 and then the next at 12:50 .. Could those times be right? Can you over lap them like that, the windows? I know you can stack and either wait till you scan or the 90 minutes but wasn't aware they would open that soon after .. Guess I was thinking like at DW where it cannot be within the same hour ... So if you scan to go on a ride at 12:00 with a fast pass window of 12 - 1 and you check the app and theres a 12:20 Fast past you can then grab that one, then essentially go right after?
OP from the original trip report here! Yes you can have the times that close together. You just go straight to the next ride once you’re done with the other. Our Toy story mania and Goofy sky school return times were actually both the same. When you stack them with close return times like that, just remember you have an hour to use them. And they allow you to scan in 5 minutes before. And there’s a 15 minute grace period at the end.

This is also why many people love the fastpass system at DL over WDW. There’s no limit to how many rides you can do throughout the day. The only restrictions are the time limit, and holding one for a ride at a time (but once you scan in, and see there are still some available, you can book that ride again).

When you are eligible for a new FP, the app will make you choose which park you want to book it in, first, before it gives you options to choose from.

Yes, you can overlap the windows, too. I've done it lots of times, especially when grabbing pretty much instantaneous FP access for things like Buzz and then immediately grabbing a Star Tours or Space Mountain FP.
Yes, one example I give a lot is something like this (times hypothetical but similar to what I've done many times):

1. Enter the park a little before 8, grab an 8:30-9:30 Space Mountain FP.
2. At 8:30, grab a 9:00-10:00 Star Tours.
3. At 9:00, grab a 9:05-10:05 Buzz Lightyear.

Now it's 9:00 and I'm holding 3 FPs for Tomorrowland rides. Walk over to Tomorrowland, ride all 3 (Note: I'd ride Buzz first so I could pull a new FP immediately. Also note that my Space Mountain one will scan in until 9:45, which is why I have the wiggle room to ride Buzz first.)

And remember some rides go through MP faster than others. At say 10am return times for some rides could be anywhere from 10am-1pm while other more popular like RSR could be going quicker and have a return time of after 3 pm. Which is why return times can overlap.

Yes, one example I give a lot is something like this (times hypothetical but similar to what I've done many times):

Now it's 9:00 and I'm holding 3 FPs for Tomorrowland rides. Walk over to Tomorrowland, ride all 3 (Note: I'd ride Buzz first so I could pull a new FP immediately. Also note that my Space Mountain one will scan in until 9:45, which is why I have the wiggle room to ride Buzz first.)

With Fast passes being so much easier to get at DL and there being more it seems like with people booking all day I don't know really how that compares to all the people that book the three in advance at DW? .... Anyways are the FP lines typically slower? Some DW rides you get in line and you're on the ride in less then 5 min sometimes its just the long walk that takes awhile .. Or maybe its 10 min. Sometimes it will be longer if a ride was down earlier or they've given out different ones bc another ride broke down ... Is there a general rule about how long it might take or does it just vary depending on ride time of year etc.

And remember some rides go through MP faster than others. At say 10am return times for some rides could be anywhere from 10am-1pm while other more popular like RSR could be going quicker and have a return time of after 3 pm. Which is why return times can overlap.

Yes I am going to make sure I have my list of rides that go quicker and watch for those. Ideally Id wanna get as many as soon as possibly but I def don't want to miss out on a good one because I didn't grab it soon enough. I am going to plan on riding things like Matterhorn, Space Mountain and RSR first thing in the mornings if were able to do the 7am MM at either park. And go straight to those rides so we get on it at least once! Then start stacking our fast passes and hopefully snag another later in the day!!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/the-answer-to-when-can-i-pull-my-next-fp.3634984/#post-58222160
The above thread should answer your question. Yes, you can hold more than one FP at a time with MP (known as "stacking FPs"), but not more than one for the same ride unless you ride that ride first. So, if you have a FP for RSR and want another FP, you'll have to use your first RSR FP, then book another RSR FP. Make sense?

I have gotten so much info the last couple days which has been amazing. I am gotten myself a bit confused though with the 90 minute wait. So you wait 90 minutes if you've booked your fast pass later in the day correct? Meaning you're not scanning in within the next hour or so?

So its morning and I get a FP at 8:30 and we scan in at 8:35 and we can get another one so I book a 9:00 then we scan in at say 9:30 and book another one at 2:00 bc my son really wants to ride SM again or something .... I am not allowed to book another until 11:00 correct but then if we book one for 11:30 we can go ahead and book another after we scan that one right? I think Im understanding this .....

Im going to assume its best not to wait the 90 minutes unless we really have too?

With Fast passes being so much easier to get at DL and there being more it seems like with people booking all day I don't know really how that compares to all the people that book the three in advance at DW? .... Anyways are the FP lines typically slower? Some DW rides you get in line and you're on the ride in less then 5 min sometimes its just the long walk that takes awhile .. Or maybe its 10 min. Sometimes it will be longer if a ride was down earlier or they've given out different ones bc another ride broke down ... Is there a general rule about how long it might take or does it just vary depending on ride time of year etc.
Most rides will take less than 10 minutes if they’re running smoothly. There are exceptions, like Indiana Jones has a lot of queue left after the FP line joins up, so that’s more like 15 as a general rule, and Soarin’ takes a long time just because the theaters take so long to clear...

Lines can definitely get backed up, though, especially when rides have broken down. If a ride that’s been down comes back up, lots of people will show up and flood the FP line. Also, if other rides in the park are down, people will take their multi-experience passes elsewhere and strain those FP lines.

Even when the lines look horribly backed up, it’s usually less than 20 minutes to actually get on, though.

I have gotten so much info the last couple days which has been amazing. I am gotten myself a bit confused though with the 90 minute wait. So you wait 90 minutes if you've booked your fast pass later in the day correct? Meaning you're not scanning in within the next hour or so?

So its morning and I get a FP at 8:30 and we scan in at 8:35 and we can get another one so I book a 9:00 then we scan in at say 9:30 and book another one at 2:00 bc my son really wants to ride SM again or something .... I am not allowed to book another until 11:00 correct but then if we book one for 11:30 we can go ahead and book another after we scan that one right? I think Im understanding this .....

Im going to assume its best not to wait the 90 minutes unless we really have too?
Yes, 90 minutes is the maximum you ever have to wait between pulling FPs and only comes into effect if you book a FP where the return time is more than 90 minutes away.

And yes, for peak Maxpass efficiency, you want to limit the 90-minute waits, especially in the early part of the day.

Yes I am going to make sure I have my list of rides that go quicker and watch for those. Ideally Id wanna get as many as soon as possibly but I def don't want to miss out on a good one because I didn't grab it soon enough. I am going to plan on riding things like Matterhorn, Space Mountain and RSR first thing in the mornings if were able to do the 7am MM at either park. And go straight to those rides so we get on it at least once! Then start stacking our fast passes and hopefully snag another later in the day!!
Our family of 12 was able to do ST, Buzz, IJ, HM, BTMR, Matterhorn, Soaring, RSR and Grizzly in one day before 2 pm with having breakfast at Minnies and doing other non MP rides in between all during Christmas week. You can do so much if you plan it out and are also able to not stress about things not going to plan.

Am i understanding you correctly that you ride Buzz first because even if you scan in for space or start tours you have to wait the minimum 30 minutes from pulling Buzz since that’s the last one you pulled?

The 30 minimum is based off the last fast pass you pull? (Or by scanning in with the last fast pass you pull?)

Am i understanding you correctly that you ride Buzz first because even if you scan in for space or start tours you have to wait the minimum 30 minutes from pulling Buzz since that’s the last one you pulled?

The 30 minimum is based off the last fast pass you pull? (Or by scanning in with the last fast pass you pull?)
Yup. I’d have to wait 30 minutes after pulling Buzz to pull a new one, but as soon as I scan in for Buzz, I can pick a new one right away even though it hasn’t been 30 minutes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter