*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

I have friends going to the Parks Thursday and Friday. They have Parkhoppers and are planning to get max pass on Thursday but are undecided about Friday. Just want to confirm- if they don’t get max pass on Friday and all enter / are in DL, can one of them be a runner to DCA to grab a fastpass with each ticket, even though only the runner has entered DCA?

I was amazed at how well this worked!

We were at Disneyland all week last week, and it was the first time I'd actively searched (using MaxPass) for FastPasses that other people had canceled. I'd read about it here on the forums, but I wasn't sure if it was something that I could regularly expect to find. I did find them. Practically every time I looked, if I kept at it.

I know others have described how this works, but for those who haven't seen it, here's a typical scenerio:

It was late morning at California Adventure, and we wanted to ride Radiator Springs Racers. The standby line was an hour long, the kids weren't comfortable with single-rider, and FastPasses were currently being distributed for late afternoon. I went through the MaxPass process up to where it told me the return time for RSR. Then I hit the back button, immediately re-selected "California Adventure" for the park, and quickly scrolled down to RSR. And then I did this over and over as fast as I could until all of a sudden the return time was significantly earlier than it had been a second before (someone had just canceled their FastPasses for that time slot).

I found there were a few keys that made this work a little better. (1) Learn to go quickly: touch-touch-swipe (just the right amount of swipe). (2) Don't get discouraged if you don't get an earlier time in your first 20 tries -- most times I had long since lost track of how many times I tried before I got an earlier return time. (3) Don't get so mesmerized by your touch-touch-swipe that you mindlessly hit the back-button before you realize that you just saw the time you should have taken -- it probably won't be there when you get back. (4) Grab it fast when it is there. You don't have time to think about it or to ask you spouse or kids of they want that time. It will be gone!

It worked in many different scenarios: When the return time was an hour away, we'd get it in fifteen minutes. When the return time was a few hours away, we'd shave a couple of those hours off. And even in the evenings, when there wasn't any availability for a particular attraction, we'd eventually get it (I got RSR, Toy Story, and Soarin' all at different times when this was the case).

You have to be somewhat realistic in your expectations. Later in the evening, when the only FastPasses available in DCA are Goofy's Sky School and Grizzly River Run, you can't expect that someone is going to cancel their RSR. And you're unlikely to find FastPasses that are currently several hours out now available with an immediate return time. But you should be able to improve your return times significantly.

A few other thoughts:

It was a relatively uncrowded week last week (although it got busier as the week wore on). That may have helped as people may not have been as willing to cancel their FastPasses if there weren't other FastPasses (for other attractions) available with relatively near return times.

We were a group of four. Obviously, if your group is larger than the group that just canceled, their cancellation isn't going to show up on your app. So larger groups may not work as well.

I personally don't do the more extreme thrill rides. So I was often waiting while the others rode. That gave me lots of time to do this (although I did it while walking between attractions, too, and obviously while standing in line.

It worked so well, that at one point, my daughter said to me, "Okay, Dad, no more FastPasses until we get down with [a couple of the non-FastPass attractions she was wanting to do]." It actually got to a point where we were getting too many FastPasses too quickly for her (and the canceled FastPasses were a big part of that).

I have friends going to the Parks Thursday and Friday. They have Parkhoppers and are planning to get max pass on Thursday but are undecided about Friday. Just want to confirm- if they don’t get max pass on Friday and all enter / are in DL, can one of them be a runner to DCA to grab a fastpass with each ticket, even though only the runner has entered DCA?
Yes. Once they’ve entered either park, their tickets can load FPs from either park. (I last did this personally over the summer with a friend’s ticket, but I haven’t heard anything about it changing.)

Thanks for the recap. I can see I need to be more patient about the refresh search process when using MP. In the past, I've only searched 4 or 5 times then give up. So I've secured cancelled FPs just a few times. I'm going to give the long-game a shot next time I visit.

Did this on Saturday to get a pass for Soarin'. On Monday I wanted to get one for Haunted Mansion Holiday at around 6:00, when the return times were coming up at 10:30 PM, but was eventually able to get one with an immediate return time.

When Maxpass was first 'a thing', I rarely got cancelled fastpasses. Now that is it more 'popular', and people are really learning how to use it (i.e. switching their fastpasses for others), I've notice that I'm able to get MORE cancelled fastpasses. I think there is a sweet spot with it, where SOME people know how to work it, and others have no idea. So, YES... nothing to see here... moving along....:)

When Maxpass was first 'a thing', I rarely got cancelled fastpasses. Now that is it more 'popular', and people are really learning how to use it (i.e. switching their fastpasses for others), I've notice that I'm able to get MORE cancelled fastpasses. I think there is a sweet spot with it, where SOME people know how to work it, and others have no idea. So, YES... nothing to see here... moving along....:)
LOL this! When I overhear people talking in the parks using maxpass most have no idea how to use it to its fullest. So even though a ton of people use it, majority of people don't use it to its fullest or know some of the strategies when using it.

Haven’t been back since December 2018 when our APs expired but from Dec 2017-2018 when we had our APs sure seemed like we were slowly snagging less passes. I attributed it to folks learning the system.

I tracked what we did when were were at DLR last week, and I just went back counted how many FastPasses we used. It was 49 in five days. And there were large chunks of time that we weren't even trying to maximize our FastPasses because we wanted to do other things.

I don't know how that compares to what others do. I know you could do a lot more than that if you really focused on FassPass attractions (and if you weren't trying herd two 9-year-olds around the parks). As I said above, that was during a less-crowded week. But with almost 10 FastPasses/day, I really felt like we got our money's worth out of MaxPass.

I tracked what we did when were were at DLR last week, and I just went back counted how many FastPasses we used. It was 49 in five days. And there were large chunks of time that we weren't even trying to maximize our FastPasses because we wanted to do other things.

I don't know how that compares to what others do. I know you could do a lot more than that if you really focused on FassPass attractions (and if you weren't trying herd two 9-year-olds around the parks). As I said above, that was during a less-crowded week. But with almost 10 FastPasses/day, I really felt like we got our money's worth out of MaxPass.

We were in the parks last week for 3 1/2 days and we got 41 rides/attractions done and had over 50 Photopass/ride photos taken, so we too felt we got our money's worth out of MaxPass...

We were in the parks last week for 3 1/2 days and we got 41 rides/attractions done and had over 50 Photopass/ride photos taken, so we too felt we got our money's worth out of MaxPass...

We were in the park this past weekend when the crowds were crazy with the launch of the holiday season and we got 11 FP rides in on both Saturday and Sunday and 7 on Monday (left the park at 4 for the airport). We could have gotten more but we took midday hotel breaks to give my kids a chance to rest (total first world problem to be sitting in the hotel room and seeing cancelled FPs with return times that are too soon) and spent lots of time just hanging out in Galaxy's Edge, Tom Sawyer Island, and Redwood Creek challenge trail. I can't imagine not having MP, especially when taking midday breaks to have the ability to stack evening FPs from the comfort of my hotel room.

Last edited:

On Columbus day when it was packed we managed to do 24 attractions in a day, 15 of them were due to maxpass.

I only did maybe 18 or 19 rides because I left and my friends stayed until closing.

We have a large group, 7, so not sure how or if this will work for us. Any suggestions?

We have a large group, 7, so not sure how or if this will work for us. Any suggestions?

You might have to split your group up for later FP time if your trying to grab a few in the evening time but you should be good during the day. I suggest getting your must do togethers first and then go from there.

Largest group I've used maxpass for was a party of 6. It seemed easier to have one person with all the tickets loaded on to make the selections. We all rode the same rides at the same time, and never split up, so keep that in mind. With that many people, it can sometimes take a few minutes to decide what ride to do next. What we did was whoever was selecting rides (this is usually me), would just choose, so we didn't lose a good fastpass time. if we decided we wanted something else we would cancel and then pick a different ride.

*Small piece of Advice: if one person is going to be making all of the selections, make sure they understand how to use the app. Back in October, my friend's husband was in charge of picking the rides, but he was so slow so we fired him from that job lol Then I ended up doing it.

What we did was whoever was selecting rides (this is usually me), would just choose, so we didn't lose a good fastpass time. if we decided we wanted something else we would cancel and then pick a different ride.

*Small piece of Advice: if one person is going to be making all of the selections, make sure they understand how to use the app.

This!

1. You have to have someone who can use the app efficiently. And especially if you want to try to get canceled Fast Passes, they need to be able to use it quickly to refresh the times. And you certainly don't want to hear, "Everyone just stop for a few minutes while I figure this out." If they can't do it on they fly, choose someone else.

2. You need someone who is decisive. You've got to be willing to pull the trigger. And then, as @midnight star says, if the group doesn't want it, you can cancel it and get something else.

3. You need someone who does a fairly good job of anticipating what the group will want. You don't want someone who keeps telling you, "I got another great return time on Grizzly River Run -- should I keep it?" if that's not what the group as a whole is into. You certainly don't want someone who keeps forcing their own agenda (a favorite attraction) if it's different from what everyone wants. The person getting your Fast Passes has to consider everyone's preferences, and not everyone is equipped to do that well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter