*No longer relevant* (Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy)

I see nothing in the original post that addresses this. Thank you to the poster that answered my question. That is what these boards are for.
My apologies! I have not read the OP since the day @Skyegirl1999 wrote it a month or so ago. I thought it was there for sure (LOL, maybe it was when she first wrote it and it has now changed). Regardless, ITA as it reads now that question is not clearly answered in the OP. The only thing that hints at that is this:

Also, if you're taking a hotel break or something and you want to come back to a bunch of "stacked" evening FPs, your planning will look different.

Hey, @Skyegirl1999 I think this would be a good thing to add to the OP to make it even more useful. :goodvibes

:wizard:

My apologies! I have not read the OP since the day @Skyegirl1999 wrote it a month or so ago. I thought it was there for sure (LOL, maybe it was when she first wrote it and it has now changed). Regardless, ITA as it reads now that question is not clearly answered in the OP. The only thing that hints at that is this:

Hey, @Skyegirl1999 I think this would be a good thing to add to the OP to make it even more useful. :goodvibes

Valid point! I added it in the second section. I thought it was in there, too!

Last edited:
This thread is AMAZING. Skyegirl and Hydro and others have absolutely made my day and I can't wait to use MP next month. Can someone make this thread sticky?

Valid point! I added it in the second section. I thought it was in there, too!
No one can be expected to read every post in a thread which starts going past one page in length. But I had mentioned the "outside the park" thing in post #6 - for anyone like @FeistyDisneyMom who must never sleep or else neglect her four kids in order to find time to read all of this stuff! ;) She even found my post #6! :laughing:

LOL! I have 5 kids now, and it is #5 keeping me up - had some kind of nightmare.

Gotta admit - I also have Disney-induced insomnia - too excited to sleep! Hubby is already Disney'd out (he will have a blast once we are there, but my obsessive planning and excitement is a bit much for him). We still have 6 weeks to go...

No worries. I do try to do extensive research before I ask a question, skim through all the pages for answers from the OP and search google with "disboards" to look for other posts that might answer my questions before asking on mega threads like this because I know it can be annoying to have to keep answering the same things. I'm sorry if my response was a bit snarky.

Thank you so much for putting together this wonderful information. I have a question about modifying a FP, we are planning a 4 or 5 day trip, and will probably not hit the parks until 2 or 3, but since we are staying at GC, we will enter the park in the morning to activate MP and start our FP collections. Here is a scenario that I was wondering about. Lets say in the morning I select a FP for GotG at 2:00, 90 minutes later I select a FP for RSR for 6:00, do I need to wait 90 minutes if I want to modify either?

Thank you so much for putting together this wonderful information. I have a question about modifying a FP, we are planning a 4 or 5 day trip, and will probably not hit the parks until 2 or 3, but since we are staying at GC, we will enter the park in the morning to activate MP and start our FP collections. Here is a scenario that I was wondering about. Lets say in the morning I select a FP for GotG at 2:00, 90 minutes later I select a FP for RSR for 6:00, do I need to wait 90 minutes if I want to modify either?
So, you can’t “modify” FPs at all, unfortunately. You can only cancel them completely and then gamble on getting a new time. So don’t pick GOTG at 2:00 if that’s not what you really want.

So, you can’t “modify” FPs at all, unfortunately. You can only cancel them completely and then gamble on getting a new time. So don’t pick GOTG at 2:00 if that’s not what you really want.
Ok, got it, thank you. I think my strategy should work, and not being able to modify won't be an issue. But who knows, we are going in September and the new SW rides might change everything!

Very informative thread. The OP is fantastic. I've just finished reading the Unofficial Guide to DL, and although there was some very good information pertaining to MP, your Ride Popularity insights and Strategy section have put all the pieces together for me. Although I love the FP+ system at WDW when it pertains to getting 3 FPs 60 days out (the super headliners get nicely locked into your plans), the DLR MP system has some amazing advantages. I can't wait to try it out!

Last edited:
I am overwhelmed being a Disney Park newbie for the first time in years. This east coast WDW AP holder is headed to DL for the first time in a week. I’ve spent days researching in an attempt to pull off both parks in 2.5 days. It will just be my husband & I (sorry kids). This thread has been incredibly helpful and I’d love a bit more advice if anyone has experience with park hopping and using Maxpass. I was thinking about rope dropping DL with MM at 7AM (a week from today) and getting as much done in Fantasyland & Tomorrowland before a 10AM breakfast and then head to DCA. I was thinking I could try to stack up DCA FP while in DL. Does this seem like a good plan? If so, can/should I grab a couple DL Fastpasses before I start scheduling ones at DCA? Any suggestions of a better plan or hiccups to watch for with my plan??? TIA

I am overwhelmed being a Disney Park newbie for the first time in years. This east coast WDW AP holder is headed to DL for the first time in a week. I’ve spent days researching in an attempt to pull off both parks in 2.5 days. It will just be my husband & I (sorry kids). This thread has been incredibly helpful and I’d love a bit more advice if anyone has experience with park hopping and using Maxpass. I was thinking about rope dropping DL with MM at 7AM (a week from today) and getting as much done in Fantasyland & Tomorrowland before a 10AM breakfast and then head to DCA. I was thinking I could try to stack up DCA FP while in DL. Does this seem like a good plan? If so, can/should I grab a couple DL Fastpasses before I start scheduling ones at DCA? Any suggestions of a better plan or hiccups to watch for with my plan??? TIA
WDW vets coming west have it easy. Try being a DLR vet headed to WDW with dining reservations and FP+ WAY in advance!

You plan sounds fine to me. Not sure though why you want to hop out of DL so early. For me I usually stay in Park #1 a bit longer unless I have a specific goal like to get on RSR at DCA.

Your overall plan is good, but you may want to change your timing a bit as @HydroGuy suggested. If I’m rope-dropping DL, I pretty much always start with DL FPs until I want to book RSR, then I start stacking over at DCA. I also usually don’t hop over to DCA until the afternoon.

If you have 2.5 days, though, you have a lot of options and plenty of time to hit all the big rides.

Thanks guys!! I guess you’re right- I’m stressing over the hours I spent researching for this trip but I bet it took me years to master WDW planning which is much more challenging last minute. I guess my suggested timing was because I was afraid once I pulled RSR, I’d need pull another Group 2 FP after the 90 min. are up and so on leaving me at DL with higher wait times and no FP to use so I thought I’d head to DCA after our 10AM character breakfast and do shows, non-FP rides, drink/eat, etc. over there. I’m so used to planning 60 days in advance- I think I’m making this more complicated than necessary.

Thanks guys!! I guess you’re right- I’m stressing over the hours I spent researching for this trip but I bet it took me years to master WDW planning which is much more challenging last minute. I guess my suggested timing was because I was afraid once I pulled RSR, I’d need pull another Group 2 FP after the 90 min. are up and so on leaving me at DL with higher wait times and no FP to use so I thought I’d head to DCA after our 10AM character breakfast and do shows, non-FP rides, drink/eat, etc. over there. I’m so used to planning 60 days in advance- I think I’m making this more complicated than necessary.
This will be your first day, right? I do think you’re overthinking it a bit.

Since you’ll be at DL for a MM, you’ll be able to pull an 8am return time FP (I’d pick Space, personally), and then you’ll be able to pick a new FP at 8 (I’d probably do Matterhorn or Star Tours), then, assuming that return time is pretty quick, you’ll likely be able to pull one more on the DL side if the timing works out - then grab RSR around maybe 9:30 or 10. Or you could grab it earlier, just depends how your morning is flowing and what return times look like... but I’d say you can easily fit two DL FPs in before you pull RSR.

I’d personally start in Fantasyland during the MM, head to Tomorrowland once you’re done there, and then just follow the FPs or the low-wait rides around until your breakfast!

You don’t have to fit all the rides in one day since you have multiple days, so don’t stress! And you may get some cancelled FPs that will make things easier, too.

This will be your first day, right? I do think you’re overthinking it a bit.

Since you’ll be at DL for a MM, you’ll be able to pull an 8am return time FP (I’d pick Space, personally), and then you’ll be able to pick a new FP at 8 (I’d probably do Matterhorn or Star Tours), then, assuming that return time is pretty quick, you’ll likely be able to pull one more on the DL side if the timing works out - then grab RSR around maybe 9:30 or 10. Or you could grab it earlier, just depends how your morning is flowing and what return times look like... but I’d say you can easily fit two DL FPs in before you pull RSR.

I’d personally start in Fantasyland during the MM, head to Tomorrowland once you’re done there, and then just follow the FPs or the low-wait rides around until your breakfast!

You don’t have to fit all the rides in one day since you have multiple days, so don’t stress! And you may get some cancelled FPs that will make things easier, too.
We are leaving San Diego @ 3:30 Friday and plan to go straight to DL that evening and do as much of the park outside of FL and TL as we can and then sleep a few hours :rotfl: and head back to do MM. I’m trying to get as much done Friday night & Saturday to leave Sunday open to repeat what we loved or hit what didn’t work out in my planning. You guys have helped me adjust my planning and generally chill out about it. DL w/ no kids vs. WDW w/ our 4 kids should be a lot less stressful.

We are leaving San Diego @ 3:30 Friday and plan to go straight to DL that evening and do as much of the park outside of FL and TL as we can and then sleep a few hours :rotfl: and head back to do MM. I’m trying to get as much done Friday night & Saturday to leave Sunday open to repeat what we loved or hit what didn’t work out in my planning. You guys have helped me adjust my planning and generally chill out about it. DL w/ no kids vs. WDW w/ our 4 kids should be a lot less stressful.
First if you really, truly leave SD at 3:30 on a Friday it is going to take you a loooong time to get to DLR. If you go straight to DLR I would be surprised if you can get into DLR before 7PM. It might be after 8PM. You may get lucky with the traffic gods but probably will not be that lucky.

I find when I have late arrival I like to focus on getting a major show done that night. But that is limited right now with WOC and F! being down - WOC coming back 2/23 but will be pretty packed after a long down time for nearly a year.

So for me I would try and get on filler rides and things you want to do at night. Will you have MP on Friday night? I would be looking for cancelled FPs for RSR, Incredicoaster and BTMRR.

First if you really, truly leave SD at 3:30 on a Friday it is going to take you a loooong time to get to DLR. If you go straight to DLR I would be surprised if you can get into DLR before 7PM. It might be after 8PM. You may get lucky with the traffic gods but probably will not be that lucky.

I find when I have late arrival I like to focus on getting a major show done that night. But that is limited right now with WOC and F! being down - WOC coming back 2/23 but will be pretty packed after a long down time for nearly a year.

So for me I would try and get on filler rides and things you want to do at night. Will you have MP on Friday night? I would be looking for cancelled FPs for RSR, Incredicoaster and BTMRR.

That was about what I was estimating for travel time. We are staying at the Park Vue Inn (right across the street) so I’m hoping getting into the park after arrival should be pretty easy. I also anticipated WOC being packed so I splurged and got a desert party for Sunday night. That only leaves Mixed Magic, which I do plan to knock out Friday night. Any suggestion of where & how soon to snag a spot? You hit on my other question... would there be enough value to get MP for the 4-5 hours we are at DL Friday night? While we are not made of money, it is just two of us. Your help has been invaluable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter