Maxima vs. Victory 10

What Scooter do you think I should rent?

• Pride Maxima 3-Wheel

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Pride Maxima 4-Wheel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pride Victory 10 3-Wheel

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • Pride Victory 10 4-Wheel

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Groot

I am Groot
I made my reservation for a scooter with Gold Mobility a couple of months ago for a Maxima 3-Wheel scooter and as I get closer to my vacation, I’m having second thoughts.

The main reason that I’m reconsidering the scooter is the handle style. The Maxima has more of bicycle-style handlebars with throttles located behind the handlebars like this:
D69A27ED-50F2-40EF-AA9C-1D8300F492B7.jpeg

And the Vic 10’s handle bars are of the Delta-style and are more 1-handed friendly as you can steer and backup the scooter by only using one throttle. Also, these are the same handle style that you see on the scooters in Wal-Mart, Target, etc. (See below):
0B6673AF-77B6-4502-A943-6005E1819CD3.jpeg

Another thing that I’m thinking about is the amount of wheels on the scooter.

Three-Wheel scooters have a tighter turning radius at the sacrifice of stability (and ever since the incident with that lady on the bus, I’ve been taking a closer look at the stability). Where as a Four-Wheel scooter has the stability, but gives up the tighter turning radius in the end.

I just don’t know what to do.

My scooter was a three wheel and handles that were one handed friendly from Gold Mobility. I absolutely loved the scooter. It was easy to t urn, and I
had no trouble with stability and both my hands are damaged by RA. Planning on renting same scooter on return visit. (The other handle style doesn't work well at all for me).

My scooter was a three wheel and handles that were one handed friendly from Gold Mobility. I absolutely loved the scooter. It was easy to t urn, and I
had no trouble with stability and both my hands are damaged by RA. Planning on renting same scooter on return visit. (The other handle style doesn't work well at all for me).

What scooter was it? Do you remember?

Just looked at my receipt from Gold. It was the Pride Victory 3 wheel and I got the canopy as my free accessory.

The stability is my major concern. A couple of times on my 4-wheel Maxima I felt unsteady (once going down to Jungle Cruise, once in the bridge in Africa in AK), so there’s no way that I would feel secure on a 3 wheeler. I had enough manoeuvrability with it, and I felt (mostly) safe, barring the odd incident with pedestrians suddenly walking in front of me.

I will say that I am in a FB group for plus size WDW guests and guests with accessibility requirements, and several people there use the 3-wheel Maxima scooters and say they don’t feel unstable. I just would rather be confident that I’m safe, even if the 3 wheelers are considered fine.

My take is this: if I have a slightly less manoeuvrable ECV, it won’t cause me too many problems. I might have to reverse in a queue to change the angle, or ask the bus driver to help me park it, but there’s minimal risk. If the 3-wheel is unstable, it greats a dangerous situation, for me and for others. That’s a massive risk, with limited reward.

3-wheels aren't necessarily more unstable than 4 - I have been driving a 3-wheel device daily for years with zero problems, and I am a 3L (large, lovely lady)

Personally, as someone who uses a device full time, I require the maximum maneuverability possible - otherwise I'm spending an inordinate amount of time every time doing 3-point turns, instead of spinning a 180 on my back wheel, and going on.

Often I see people who feel like 3 wheels are less stable because they believe it is more "tippy". If you are driving *any* mobility device too fast, or taking a curve too quickly, or going down (or up) an incline too fast... regardless of *how* many wheels it has, it is risky.

@Tigger in a kilt - that hill down to Jungle Cruise is *steep*. We need to go down it slowly, and carefully - regardless of the type of device and/or the number of wheels present. Same with several other ramps and hills all over WDW; just because we *can* drive up/down those inclines doesn't mean we shouldn't take care and proceed with caution.

3-wheels aren't necessarily more unstable than 4 - I have been driving a 3-wheel device daily for years with zero problems, and I am a 3L (large, lovely lady)

Personally, as someone who uses a device full time, I require the maximum maneuverability possible - otherwise I'm spending an inordinate amount of time every time doing 3-point turns, instead of spinning a 180 on my back wheel, and going on.

Often I see people who feel like 3 wheels are less stable because they believe it is more "tippy". If you are driving *any* mobility device too fast, or taking a curve too quickly, or going down (or up) an incline too fast... regardless of *how* many wheels it has, it is risky.

@Tigger in a kilt - that hill down to Jungle Cruise is *steep*. We need to go down it slowly, and carefully - regardless of the type of device and/or the number of wheels present. Same with several other ramps and hills all over WDW; just because we *can* drive up/down those inclines doesn't mean we shouldn't take care and proceed with caution.

That’s a fair point, and I think it highlights the difference between those of us, like me, who don’t use an ECV every day, and people like you, who do. I use a walking stick in my everyday life, but an injury forced into an ECV at Disney, and it was a steep learning curve.

With more experience, I would likely be more willing to consider a 3-wheeler. However, as someone who won’t need an ECV again until my next WDW trip year, the (perceived?) reduction in stability scares me. I used my 4-wheel Maxima for 3.5 weeks and I was happy with it, and would definitely do it again.

Go with the device that you will be more comfortable with. That being said, I think this is mostly personal perception. Mobility devices are not like the large vehicles most people are used to. The ride is more like a Vespa style scooter than a golf cart. I think the misconception is that people think because it’s a mobility device that it will do all the work and you don’t have to actively manage it. That’s just not true.

You absolutely can handle obstacles with a mobility device, but there are skills involved with doing so. It won’t just handle them for you. Yes some devices will work better for beginners than others, but there will be some learning curve, and no device can eliminate that completely.

3-wheel all the way for me. I'm going to buy my own, transportable, scooter very soon - but most of them are 4-wheel which gives me less foot room as the platforms are shorter, and also gives them a much bigger turning circle. I also recently tried a couple of 3-wheelers. The first was no good as the seat was just too small - it was just like a child-sized version of the big padded adult one and as a result I felt extremely uncomfortable in it, especially as the back was so low.

The other one was the Pride Go-Go traveller. I tried both 3 and 4 wheel versions, and I really threw the 3-wheeler round in the shop to see if it would tip at all. It did not. At all. I guess if you were leaning right over while trying to take a very sharp corner then it could potentially tip, but that's all. Also, I noticed that a lot of the new small scooters have little stabiliser wheels either side below the platform just before it narrows and these make them much more stable.

This is a link to the one I'm thinking of getting. The only downside of this one is that a battery that size would not be transportable by Virgin so I would either have to buy a maximum of 15 Ah battery or just hire one when we got there. https://greatbritishmobility.co.uk/...oters/pride-go-go-elite-traveller-plus-3.html

Please also note the price! As the £/$ ratio is poor at the moment, it's effectively $756. That price does not include tax, as over here if you have a specified disability (eg arthritis) you don't have to pay VAT on purchases. Our VAT tax is 20%.

3-wheel all the way for me. I'm going to buy my own, transportable, scooter very soon - but most of them are 4-wheel which gives me less foot room as the platforms are shorter, and also gives them a much bigger turning circle. I also recently tried a couple of 3-wheelers. The first was no good as the seat was just too small - it was just like a child-sized version of the big padded adult one and as a result I felt extremely uncomfortable in it, especially as the back was so low.

The other one was the Pride Go-Go traveller. I tried both 3 and 4 wheel versions, and I really threw the 3-wheeler round in the shop to see if it would tip at all. It did not. At all. I guess if you were leaning right over while trying to take a very sharp corner then it could potentially tip, but that's all. Also, I noticed that a lot of the new small scooters have little stabiliser wheels either side below the platform just before it narrows and these make them much more stable.

This is a link to the one I'm thinking of getting. The only downside of this one is that a battery that size would not be transportable by Virgin so I would either have to buy a maximum of 15 Ah battery or just hire one when we got there. https://greatbritishmobility.co.uk/...oters/pride-go-go-elite-traveller-plus-3.html

Please also note the price! As the £/$ ratio is poor at the moment, it's effectively $756. That price does not include tax, as over here if you have a specified disability (eg arthritis) you don't have to pay VAT on purchases. Our VAT tax is 20%.

Maybe the best option is to rent at WDW?

That way you don't have to worry about purchasing an extra or smaller battery - and you don't have the concern over getting your beautiful new scooter (possibly) banged up in the aircraft hold on the flights.

It's a really personal decision. I think if I had to choose between a smaller battery for my personal device, or renting locally, I would rent locally. But that's just me. Do what is best for you - now and in the long term 🙂

I made my reservation for a scooter with Gold Mobility a couple of months ago for a Maxima 3-Wheel scooter and as I get closer to my vacation, I’m having second thoughts.

The main reason that I’m reconsidering the scooter is the handle style. The Maxima has more of bicycle-style handlebars with throttles located behind the handlebars like this:
View attachment 432399

And the Vic 10’s handle bars are of the Delta-style and are more 1-handed friendly as you can steer and backup the scooter by only using one throttle. Also, these are the same handle style that you see on the scooters in Wal-Mart, Target, etc. (See below):
View attachment 432400

Another thing that I’m thinking about is the amount of wheels on the scooter.

Three-Wheel scooters have a tighter turning radius at the sacrifice of stability (and ever since the incident with that lady on the bus, I’ve been taking a closer look at the stability). Where as a Four-Wheel scooter has the stability, but gives up the tighter turning radius in the end.

I just don’t know what to do.
Just came back from my trip and used one of the new Gold Mobility Maxima scooters that you ordered. It was great. I'm 400 LBS and it was way more stable and comfortable than the Victory 10 for a person of my size. I reserved the Maxima again for my Christmas trip.

We are Pride Victory fans. We have done the 3 wheel and 4 wheel. You can still do turns with the four wheeler scooter; so, why not have the extra stability?

Last edited:
We are Pride Victory fans. We have done the 3 wheel an 4 wheel. You can still do turns with the four wheeler scooter; so, why not have the extra stability?
I was at the maximum weight for the Victory scooter at 400 LBS last time I used that model. I felt the maxima 3 wheel this time was more stable with my weight. I also felt it was more stable loading on the busses, and was confident going into turns and going up hill. The turning radius was great no need for K turns.

I agree the scooters are different when it comes to weight capacity. The Maxima is rated for 500 pounds, whereas, the Victory maxes out at 400 pounds.

The Maxima weighs about 100 more pounds than the Victory. We have transported the Victory model around, but I wouldn't do it for the Maxima. One of the Maxima broken down pieces goes 74 pounds.

Pride offers many models to suit the individual. You need to use the correct model for your needs.

For me the decision is easy, the Victory. Why ? Tiller design.

The first scooter I rented at WDW was from Walker and had a tiller design similar to the Maxima picture above in that the levers were operated with your thumb. My thumbs and hands were in a lot of pain by the end of the first day and I vowed never to get that style of lever again.

I have rented Pride models since with the Victory style lever which you can operate with your hand/finger(s)... it is rather flexible. I could adjust how I manipulated it throughout the day as needed. Though my hands let me know I was using them a lot more than normal, it was easy enough to adjust to keep them "happy enough" that I was not in pain.

My recommendation is that if the higher weight limit of the Maxima is not an issue, then very seriously consider the tiller/lever implications.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts