Max Pass Confusion

wildekatza

Mouseketeer
Okay, we are heading to the park, DH and I for a 3 day trip the end of Feb. M-W and W will be a less than half day trip as we will be leaving for LAX to catch a 6 pm flight home. Anyway, I have been to the park 2xs before and the fastpasses always seem to run out around noon or so and we hardly get to use them for the "good stuff". I was considering getting the MP BUT it says all over the Disney site:
* Guests are strongly advised to check the day’s FASTPASS availability and other park details before purchasing Disney MaxPass or using a park ticket with Disney MaxPass. FASTPASS selections for popular attractions may not be available at the time of Disney MaxPass purchase or use as FASTPASS selections are limited and availability is not guaranteed.
But when I am viewing suggestions on how to use it best, no one ever mentions that they purchased it and it didn't work because they were all out. I mean, I am thinking most folks buy this at the beginning of the day and not at say noon when the day is half over and all of the passes are mostly gone. If I bought it, I would only use it day one, I think because Mondays seem to be more busy than Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually a ghost town. I just want to know what regulars think of it. Also, the photopass that comes on it...is the DL photopass not like the WDW one where you have to pay almost $100 for a trip's worth of photos? You would be able to access /download any ride photos that were on that MP all for the low-low cost of $15/day?

Okay, we are heading to the park, DH and I for a 3 day trip the end of Feb. M-W and W will be a less than half day trip as we will be leaving for LAX to catch a 6 pm flight home. Anyway, I have been to the park 2xs before and the fastpasses always seem to run out around noon or so and we hardly get to use them for the "good stuff". I was considering getting the MP BUT it says all over the Disney site:
* Guests are strongly advised to check the day’s FASTPASS availability and other park details before purchasing Disney MaxPass or using a park ticket with Disney MaxPass. FASTPASS selections for popular attractions may not be available at the time of Disney MaxPass purchase or use as FASTPASS selections are limited and availability is not guaranteed.
But when I am viewing suggestions on how to use it best, no one ever mentions that they purchased it and it didn't work because they were all out. I mean, I am thinking most folks buy this at the beginning of the day and not at say noon when the day is half over and all of the passes are mostly gone. If I bought it, I would only use it day one, I think because Mondays seem to be more busy than Tuesdays and Wednesdays are usually a ghost town. I just want to know what regulars think of it. Also, the photopass that comes on it...is the DL photopass not like the WDW one where you have to pay almost $100 for a trip's worth of photos? You would be able to access /download any ride photos that were on that MP all for the low-low cost of $15/day?
Yes on photos. It is one thing that makes MP more worth it for many. See "Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/

As for FP availability, I have always found FPs plentiful. If you are really curious, just keep an eye on the DLR app. It shows you when FPs are available.

:wizard:

Yes on photos. It is one thing that makes MP more worth it for many. See "Comparing DLR's MaxPass to WDW's FastPass+" - https://www.disboards.com/threads/comparing-dlrs-maxpass-to-wdws-fastpass.3726294/

As for FP availability, I have always found FPs plentiful. If you are really curious, just keep an eye on the DLR app. It shows you when FPs are available.

Thanks!

I see where you stay at the Swan/Dolphin quite often! So do we! We LOVE the proximity to HS and Epcot. :) We are staying at the Grand Calif for the first time this trip. Just looks like it would be cool to walk out of the hotel and be "in the park" rather than catching a boat, then walking 20 steps to the ticket entrance, then....

Thanks!

I see where you stay at the Swan/Dolphin quite often! So do we! We LOVE the proximity to HS and Epcot. :) We are staying at the Grand Calif for the first time this trip. Just looks like it would be cool to walk out of the hotel and be "in the park" rather than catching a boat, then walking 20 steps to the ticket entrance, then....
GCH is really nice. Kind of a cross between WL and AKL, but yes, connected to DCA.

But GCH is big and it can be a hike from the room to the park entrance through all those hallways. Sort of like AKL in that regard. Enjoy!

I think you can still get good use of MP even if you enter the park later in the day. And we love the proximity of GCH to DCA! It has been great for us over several trips! However, I would caution that Tuesdays and Wednesdays have never been even in the ballpark of “ghost town” on any trips we taken in the last 5 years, and that is many trips at all times of year. It seems there are not many slow times at all anymore. Maybe you will get lucky. If not, you can always buy MP day by day so if Tuesday is not a ghost town, you can react and purchase MP on the spot.

The only Fastpass that runs out by noon is Radiator Springs Racers. Some of the other major headliners may have late return times by then, but there should be decent availability overall.

If I’m reading your OP right, though, you’ll be in the parks in the morning anyway, right? You should be able to use Maxpass to book FPs for lots of rides, then.

You may be interested in some of the information here: https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...view-and-some-strategy.3726246/#post-60074882

Don't forget that MP allows you to grab FPs that are cancelled by other guests. If a ride you wanted is out of FPs, and another guests throws their FPs for that ride back into the pool, and you see them pop up as available when you are searching for FPs, grab them! Don't hesitate because they'll be gone to someone else in a few seconds. So even if you think you've missed out on FPs for a certain ride, just keep checking regularly throughout the day -- you never know when cancelled FPs might show up for that ride you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter