Matt's 40th Birthday Disneyland Trip. Club 33, Napa Rose, and Adventureland Suite!!!

whoever

DIS Veteran
So here's another trip report from Matt and family. If you don't know the players by now, go back and read some of my previous trip reports. That being said, this one is much like my others.. Slow... methodical... late... and jamb packed with details and specifics. AND... we are celebrating my 40th Birthday, so there is Napa Rose, Club 33, Steak House 55, and The Adventureland Suite at the Disneyland Hotel. So grab some popcorn and some churros and come along for the adventure....

It all started on 3/20/18.... The time was 05:15... We had just pulled out of my driveway in Historic, Downtown Phoenix. I was a full 15-30 mins behind schedule... I'd make it up on the road. We had seven of us in the Axiom (for the un-initiated... my Freedom-guzzling, 450 bald eagles under the hood, luxury land-barge is called the Axiom... after you guessed it... that luxury cruise ship from WALL-E) and a full complement of luggage for 5 days in-park. We hit the highway and cranked it up over the open and largely deserted desert at this time of the morning...

The sun was chasing us right over the horizon...

IMG_8254%20(Large).jpg

First sign of civilization after leaving Phoenix and trekking west occurred at 7:01 and was the last stop for fuel before the land of Fruit-checks, $1.50/gallon in extra taxes and lack of personal defense options known as California... it's a strange land where I venture with caution...

IMG_8261%20(Large).jpg

IMG_8266%20(Large).jpg

The Axiom ended up drinking 11 gallons of 91-octane... bald eagles don't come cheap especially at 13.5MPG, but when the black beast hits the blacktop, every one of them is needed for the passing lane...13 minutes elapsed before we were able to resume the westward expansion...

Here's a blurry shot of the 6 females... and me.

IMG_8269%20(Large).jpg

And here's a shot of how I would spend most of the drive... lost in my own music and thoughts. I don't know if you've ever spent 5-ish hours in a domestically-produced tin can hurdling across the desert, but if you have you know that 6 females inside a vehicle sounds like a flock of seagulls fighting over a french fry. Earbuds are a necessity..

IMG_8270%20(Large).jpg

Finally at 10:23 local time, we dropped Lindsey and Reese off at the Anaheim Hotel, across Harbor from DCA. You might remember that from my August, 2014 Solo Trip report (1901 and Le Salon Noveau in that one). I quickly unloaded their luggage and we were back on city streets trying desperately to reach our destination...

So close... yet so far...

IMG_8280%20(Large).jpg

Getting closer...

IMG_8291%20(Large).jpg

Star Wars Land... I WISH oh how much I WISH it had been a third gate where Paradise Pier is...

IMG_8300%20(Large).jpg

Goodbye Axiom... see you in a few days...

IMG_8310%20(Large).jpg

As I was waiting in line for reception, I was HOPING I got the gal from my last trip who checked us in for dapper day. I didn't, but I said hi and let her know I remembered her before we left reception. As we were doing a split-stay even though at the same hotel, lodgings were a concern. I discussed it with the reception host and was able to get into our preferred tower (The Adventure Tower). I think we were on the Fifth Floor for the first part of our stay with a great view into DTD).

IMG_8312%20(Large).jpg

IMG_8315%20(Large).jpg

Char was being whiney..

IMG_8316%20(Large).jpg

I just love these samples... We use H2O exclusively... mainly in the Grand's offerings (Sea Marine and Sea Salt), but I love me some Grapefruit Bergamot as well. I scanned one of those cards after our 2015 trip and blew it up to a 4x6 which resides in our bathroom as a picture. Love it.

IMG_8318%20(Large).jpg

And finally... we were park-bound at 11:20.

DSC_9076%20(Large).jpg

Last edited:
After we hit the park, we decided we were hungry. We pretty much always head Left (West SIIIIIIDE....) and decided some skewers from Bengal was in order. While we were waiting, I spotted one of the Easter Eggs.. I would pick up a map later, but neglected to photograph every one of the Easter eggs.. just needed a little more focus and time...

DSC_9081%20(Large).jpg

The thing which separates Disney from the competition is infallible theming . Look at the INSIDE of Bengal... It's a Cast member location.. yet.. its pure awesomeness!!!

DSC_9084%20(Large).jpg

The Rivers of America were thankfully back in full usage.. I LOVE the canoes... need to do those again..

IMG_8320%20(Large).jpg

Satiated on our various pork belly and beef kabobs, we headed for our usual first attraction of the first day... if you know us, you know it... PIRATES!!!

DSC_9086%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte was being a grouch..

DSC_9089%20(Large).jpg

I took the time to check out the details of the outside queue... if you don't like details, just keep scrolling because anybody that knows me know I love the details...

DSC_9113%20(Large).jpg

I could write a book on sconces, and lamps of Disneyland.. maybe I will.

DSC_9116%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9119%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9121%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9131%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9132%20(Large).jpg

Reese trying to contain her excitement...

DSC_9138%20(Large).jpg

Amy way too excited

DSC_9143%20(Large).jpg

Gotta love my lamp....

DSC_9146%20(Large).jpg

Boarded on our skiff, we started our float through the Bayou. The Bayou is honestly one of the most special places for me in all of Disneyland. I simply love it and it's so much better at night as your eyes are adjusted and you can see all the details it has to offer.

I'd live on this little house boat if I could..

DSC_9150%20(Large).jpg

Or in that cabin way in the back..

DSC_9155%20(Large).jpg

The disembodied head uttering it's warning never gets old.

DSC_9160%20(Large).jpg

This guy is always just hanging around..

DSC_9164%20(Large).jpg

I see some seaweed has found this fellow steering us into the storm.

DSC_9176%20(Large).jpg

Decent teeth for a pirate all things considered. I wonder what their dental plan is... gotta be better than mine.

DSC_9186%20(Large).jpg

Anybody know music? Is this accurate for the theme?

DSC_9191%20(Large).jpg

One of the most iconic scenes ever.

DSC_9194%20(Large).jpg

The Wicked Wench wasn't fairing so good in the battle... I blame the captain

DSC_9211%20(Large).jpg

The defenders were playing prairie-dog on the battlements

DSC_9214%20(Large).jpg

Never noticed this before. Hidden Mickey!!

DSC_9223%20(Large).jpg

Oh my beloved Red Head. This would be the last time I see you in your properly imagined state. I shed a tear for thee.

DSC_9238%20(Large).jpg

Love this guy balancing all those hats..

DSC_9266%20(Large).jpg

And this guy after one-too many hanging on to that pole for dear life.

DSC_9268%20(Large).jpg

Now riddle me this... why does this poor parrot appear to have nails sticking out of his breast?

DSC_9277%20(Large).jpg

Another hidden Mickey.

DSC_9281%20(Large).jpg

I'm so happy you're doing a trip report from this epic-sounding trip! Love all the details! :cool1:

Yay! You're working on it! That is an awesome shot of the pirate's teeth through his magnifying glass. And yes, the music looks correct. :)

Yay! You're working on it! That is an awesome shot of the pirate's teeth through his magnifying glass. And yes, the music looks correct. :)
Thanks for the confirmation Jaina. More to come, just been a heck of a crazy busy work week.

Returned to the bayou from our looting and plundering, we departed and of course headed through Pieces of Eight. I love 21 Royal/The Royal Court in between PoE and Port Royal Curios and Curiosities. It's such a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of NOS during the day. One of these days I will dine at 21 Royal... if I can find 10-11 friends who can stomach the price tag that is..

I like the little details of the grating..

DSC_9283%20(Large).jpg

From there, we made our way along the Rivers of America, past Cafe Orleans and Club 33, through Magnolia park, and finally to the queue for The Haunted Mansion.

Victoria was excited.

DSC_9293%20(Large).jpg

And Amy was smiling as well.

DSC_9308%20(Large).jpg

There's some queues I LIKE having to wait in. It gives me time to take in everything and all the little details.

DSC_9323%20(Large).jpg

More LAMP!!

DSC_9325%20(Large).jpg

Who do I spy as an Easter Egg down at Harbor Galley... Why Donald!!

DSC_9332%20(Large).jpg

Lindsey, Reese, and Katherine got together for a group shot.

DSC_9333%20(Large).jpg

The crypts are always a fun read.

DSC_9346%20(Large).jpg

The ironwork on the lamp posts is always something I appreciate.

DSC_9351%20(Large).jpg

More lamp... I seriously should do a scavenger hunt contest with find this lamp..

DSC_9356%20(Large).jpg

Remember the details... NOBODY does candles like Disney. Perfectly done.

DSC_9362%20(Large).jpg

Every attraction has a shot which is extremely elusive to get and I strive for on every pass through. For Indy, it's the bridge. For Pirates, it's the cat with the fish in its mouth. Peter Pan, it's the Indian Chief sitting next to his camp fire. For Pinocchio, it's the Blue Fairy. For Snow White, it's the hag opening the door with the apple in her hand. For Mansion... It's this possessed Suit of Armor. This may have been one of my best to date even though it’s kind of lack luster.

DSC_9370%20(Large).jpg

Ah.. into the attic we go. Its' filled with wedding portraits and wedding gifts from many departed husbands of Constance Hatchaway. Here as you will see, she was a beautiful woman who sought to obtain wealth and luxury. She accomplished this by marrying several rich men, including bankers, businessmen, farmers, and barons. However, each was murdered after the wedding by the deadly bride, decapitated with a hatchet so that she could claim their inheritance. Despite her crimes, she was never punished, though the public did dub her "The Black Widow Bride".

Her husbands were:

Ambrose Harper: The naive but good intentioned son of successful farmers (married in 1869)
Frank Banks An eastern banker and community pillar (married in 1872)
The Marquis de Doome A foreign diplomat with a military past (married in 1874)
Reginald Caine A celebrated railroad baron, gambler and world renowned gourmand (married in 1875)
George Hightower A relative of the wealthy hotel owner/explorer Harrison Hightower III (married in 1877)

Here's Reggy

DSC_9402%20(Large).jpg

And dear departed George..

DSC_9404%20(Large).jpg

Out of the attic to escape her murderous rage, we find ourselves in the family graveyard... this poor caretaker picked the wrong night to be out and about.

DSC_9418%20(Large).jpg

The band's back.

DSC_9420%20(Large).jpg

Why not have some drinks...

DSC_9432%20(Large).jpg

As we typically do after our first couple attractions of the day, when we find ourselves in New Orleans Square, it's beignet time....

DSC_9459%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9476%20(Large).jpg

Since we were using MaxPass and thusly picking attractions which had favorable return windows, we were going to be all over the park. Our next destination was Tomorrowland... but as we were making our way there passing through Adventureland, I couldn't help but stop and appreciate this beautiful moss/lichen on one of the trees at the base of Tarzan's Treehouse. Oh how I lament the Tarzan overlay compared to the Swiss Family Robinson original, but I guess I'm a dying breed who remembers how amazing it was to finally be in the SFR's amazing treehouse. I've read that book in various iterations probably 50 times. I love it.

DSC_9493%20(Large).jpg

On to Star Tours it was!! C3PO was happy to greet us.

DSC_9496%20(Large).jpg

I love the IC360 droid.

DSC_9500%20(Large).jpg

Katherine was distracted by something... I wonder what?

DSC_9501%20(Large).jpg

Why it's a pair of Mon Calamari overseeing the operations.

DSC_9503%20(Large).jpg

One thing I absolutely love about Disney is their ties to the past. Being I was old enough to have experience Star Tours in it's original iteration, I immediately recognized the pair of RX-24 (Rex) pilot droids in their shipping containers.

DSC_9513%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9516%20(Large).jpg

In the next bay, was an R5 astromech with an R4 in the background.

DSC_9517%20(Large).jpg

This smaller droid which I'm afraid I don't recognize is forming a Hidden Mickey.

DSC_9526%20(Large).jpg

And yet another blast from the past...This G2-4T had a previous life...It was one of the geese from America Sings. LOVE IT!!!

DSC_9528%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9531%20(Large).jpg

Katherine... trying to be a teenager...

IMG_8329%20(Large).jpg

Tori LOVED this set of ears... it may have found its way being purchased as it matched her R2D2 dress she would wear later in the trip.

IMG_8330%20(Large).jpg

Despite Charlotte being the epitome of C3PO (fragile, scared of everything, skinny) we didn't get her those ears.

IMG_8341%20(Large).jpg

Given we were in Tomorrowland why go for a drive. I just love the juxtaposition of this... TOTAL anachronism... you are in the city of the future and a turn of the 19th century steam engine will take you back to the Frontier of America (arguably, the 1830s)

DSC_9536%20(Large).jpg

It's supposed to be TOMORROWLAND...only in Disneyland.

DSC_9537%20(Large).jpg

Vic thinking she's hot stuff since she'll be driving

DSC_9541%20(Large).jpg

ASIMO with an electric car while we put around in hydrocarbon-burning gokarts...fitting.

DSC_9583%20(Large).jpg

But that's the only way to get the car in front of you to actually move.

DSC_9591%20(Large).jpg

This should say... speed limit... a brisk walk

DSC_9596%20(Large).jpg

Why does a Bird need a parachute and why does ASIMO need a camper? Inquiring minds want to know.

DSC_9601%20(Large).jpg

Again, Bird who can fly can't manage to NOT mess up a flying device. Disney... we need a better story here. Kites also aren't very futuristic.

DSC_9622%20(Large).jpg

This next set of signs has me chuckle every time. I apologize for any blurriness in the pics...

DSC_9625%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9627%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9630%20(Large).jpg

So before Autopia being sponsored by Honda, I didn't realize Honda made a turbine (in partnership with GE) powered aircraft. The Honda HA-420 HondaJet is pictured. It's relevance to the world of tomorrow (much like Autopia) is unknown.

DSC_9639%20(Large).jpg

One of my upside down and backwards trick shots resulted in a great pic of Lindsey and Reese.

DSC_9655%20(Large).jpg

Done with inhaling a lot of exhaust fumes, it was time to head North, but not before I stopped to do another juxtaposition shot... Palm trees and a Monorail in the foreground... A Swiss Mountain peak in the background.

DSC_9663%20(Large).jpg

And some subs and monorail action..

DSC_9686%20(Large).jpg

And of course, I had to stop in for a check-in at the Disneyland Addiction FB group check-in spot.

IMG_8342%20(Large).jpg

Great shots! I don't remember all those haunted mansion portraits actually. I'll have to look for them next time I go on it in its normal form. The last three trips I've taken, it had the HMH overlay...
That is an awesome picture with the railroad being advertised in Tomorrowland. :) Autopia itself is a strange little ride. I haven't been on it in a few years, but my daughter thinks she wants to ride it when we go in September. She pretty much wants to ride everything though (during the Halloween party) so we'll have to see what we can fit in. :) I would be interested to see Tomorrowland rehauled and actually seem futuristic for today's world. But they have so many other projects in the works, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Cruising into Toon town a quarter to four, I was happy to see that Star Wars land hasn't compromised Toon Town. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all the details of Toon Town. So much attention has been dedicated to the various buildings of the land.

DSC_9705%20(Large).jpg

I have honestly never seen the firehose wrapped around the spire before. I usually find new details on every trip and that's the magic of Disneyland.

DSC_9707%20(Large).jpg

We walked on to Roger Rabbit with our Max Pass and I quickly snapped some pics of the boarding queue. Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin is honestly one of the attractions at the resort I would RATHER go through the standby queue. I love that queue so much. Alas, even the loading queue is pretty amazing.

DSC_9712%20(Large).jpg

Clockwise, Little Mermaid, Fantasy, Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah, Three Little Pigs, AristoCats, 101 Dalmatians, Captain Hook.

DSC_9714%20(Large).jpg

While I realize the interior isn't truly structural, but this is period correct of how they used to build buildings back in the 1920s-1940s. TOTAL attention to detail. Most people would never know.

DSC_9715%20(Large).jpg

This is total dad joke territory, but I laughed... I tried explaining it several times to my group... they didn't get it.

DSC_9718%20(Large).jpg

Clockwise...Big, Bad, Wolf, Wonderland, I'm Late (Alice Reference), Wendy and Peter, Mr. Toad, Toon Town.

DSC_9719%20(Large).jpg

This is Hilarious.

DSC_9722%20(Large).jpg

Victoria is driving, HANG ON!!!

DSC_9724%20(Large).jpg

And here we go!!!

DSC_9731%20(Large).jpg

My favorite part of this picture is the building going WOAH!!!

DSC_9735%20(Large).jpg

The China Shop.. A masterpiece of mirror-work

DSC_9741%20(Large).jpg

I LOVE the gags.. Bullina... China Shope. Bull.. in... a.. China.. Shop. SO good!!

DSC_9746%20(Large).jpg

Into the Electrical Plant

DSC_9757%20(Large).jpg

Overloaded Transformers.

DSC_9765%20(Large).jpg

FEED ME!!

DSC_9768%20(Large).jpg

Zaaap!!

DSC_9770%20(Large).jpg

Roger just won't let go.

DSC_9780%20(Large).jpg

Great shots! I don't remember all those haunted mansion portraits actually. I'll have to look for them next time I go on it in its normal form. The last three trips I've taken, it had the HMH overlay...
That is an awesome picture with the railroad being advertised in Tomorrowland.
I just love that. My favorite in the park is the Tiki room backing up to Jolly Holiday. Just love the little bits.

:) Autopia itself is a strange little ride. I haven't been on it in a few years, but my daughter thinks she wants to ride it when we go in September. She pretty much wants to ride everything though (during the Halloween party) so we'll have to see what we can fit in. :) I would be interested to see Tomorrowland rehauled and actually seem futuristic for today's world. But they have so many other projects in the works, I don't see it happening any time soon.

Yeah, I really hope they redo Tomorrowland eventually. I honestly want Tomorrowland 1966 back, for the retro theme. It feels kind of Incredibles... (Listen up Disney.. MISSED OPPORTUNITY).

After RRCS, we hit all the gags and interactive elements of this part of Toon Town. Vic was first..

DSC_9832%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9844%20(Large).jpg

She's got some serious upper body strength

DSC_9863%20(Large).jpg

Oh Charlotte

DSC_9866%20(Large).jpg

In Disneyland Proper, I think this may just be my favorite themed merchandise shop of the entire park. (For DCA, It is Elias and Company when you first walk into the park) I could hang out in here for hours just admiring all the details.

DSC_9877%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9880%20(Large).jpg

For those who have never been (YOU REALLY NEED TO GO), there's a overhead conveyor which transports the gags as they come out of the Gag Factory Machine. It's magic.

DSC_9881%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9882%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9883%20(Large).jpg

Heck with Carpe Diem, it's Carpe Gag 'Em here!!!

DSC_9885%20(Large).jpg

OK this is just awesome...An anvil on a barrel labeled FRAGILE!!! Flies in Ice Cubes, Random Mouse Traps, a Shaggy Dog in a box, and the best part... Stand Up Routines... which need to be placed up... but are upside down. This is serious Dad-joke territory and I love it all.

DSC_9887%20(Large).jpg

The Tall Tales... in a TALL box!!! The One Liners... as ONE LINE. An exploded exploding cigar.. Riddles... RIDDLED WITH HOLES... the Punch Line... Which PUNCHES YOU!!!.. and an ode to Jack and the Bean Stalk.. the Singing Harp.

DSC_9890%20(Large).jpg

I love how even the lighting sconces are gloved hands... ATTENTION TO DETAIL.

DSC_9891%20(Large).jpg

A close up of one of the gag flies in the ice cubes..

DSC_9895%20(Large).jpg

A crate of Banana peels.. A 100# barbell. Rubber Chickens on top of Overused Gags (that in and of itself is Hilarious), another "This side up" crate upside down. A barrel of noses... so good!!

DSC_9919%20(Large).jpg

Back outside, Toon Town simply is CHOK FULL of Amazing detail. It’s honestly one of my favorite themed lands after Adventureland and NOS. I don't know how any TRUE DISNEY LOVER could ever hate it.

DSC_9899%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9901%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9904%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9906%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9908%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9911%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9914%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9915%20(Large).jpg

After thoroughly enjoying Toon Town, we headed back to Tomorrowland. On the way I stopped to admire the Pixie Lagoon.

DSC_9926%20(Large).jpg

Afterward, we used our MaxPass to hit up Buzz. Amy hates when I snap pics like this...

DSC_9930%20(Large).jpg

And how the two adult women spent most of the week... staring at their phones..

DSC_9932%20(Large).jpg

I've NEVER shot Buzz before. This will be a first..

I feel like that Claw is going to get us.

DSC_9933%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9935%20(Large).jpg

Zurg Rules, huh? I don't think so!!

DSC_9939%20(Large).jpg

That'll be Mr. Zurg..

DSC_9953%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9957%20(Large).jpg

These next two are my favorites.

DSC_9976%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9981%20(Large).jpg

DSC_9986%20(Large).jpg

After Buzz, a quick trip on Space was in order..

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneyland_Park_410251122589%20(Large).jpg

PhotoPass_Visiting_Disneyland_Park_410251102033%20(Large).jpg

While we were still in Tomorrowland, Katherine begged me for an AT-AT popcorn bucket... I acquiesced to her request... spoiled kid. Notice my Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar shirt... I SO WISH they had this at DLR vs. just WDW.

IMG_8349%20(Large).jpg

Last edited:
By now, it was 5:30 and we only had a few attractions left for the day before we would have to be heading back to the Hotel to get ready for dinner. A quick tally of votes, and we decided to take the Grand Circle on the Disneyland Railroad.

I never noticed the placard had braille on it. Interesting.

DSC_9992%20(Large).jpg

If anybody ever asks you to find a four-leaf clover in Disneyland (not the soon to be removed one from Bug's Land), here it is...

DSC_9994%20(Large).jpg

The kids repurposed the AT-AT popcorn bucket for something else so Amy got to hold the popcorn.

DSC_9995%20(Large).jpg

Lindsey has her's down... That strap sure was handy.

DSC_0005%20(Large).jpg

Disney, if you are listening, I would pay GOOD MONEY to get to pump my way around the park on this for an EMH timeframe. It was made in Kalamazoo, a city in my home-state of MI. The Kalamazoo Railroad Velocipede and Car Company was founded in 1883 by George Miller and Horace Haines in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Before the 1940’s the company primarily built railroad handcars, velocipedes, and motorized railroad maintenance vehicles. At the onset of World War II, Kalamazoo diversified into building motorized rubber tired factory vehicles. In 1968 the company sold off its railroad business to Tamper and continued producing motorized factory vehicles until it closed in the 1990’s.

kalamazoo-old.jpg

DSC_0014%20(Large).jpg

The girls had repurposed the popcorn bucket to a frozen treat bucket.

DSC_0019%20(Large).jpg

Love the Disneyland Rail Road.

DSC_0021%20(Large).jpg

Even the backstage area is themed where guests catch a glimpse into it.

DSC_0029%20(Large).jpg

Ah... Le Salon Noveau... How I wish I could visit again. It was such a fun time my one and only trip.

DSC_0031%20(Large).jpg

After you emerge from Splash Mountain, I have ALWAYS loved this vista into Critter Country. It reminds me quite a bit of the Grizzly Peak area and our National Parks which I adore.

DSC_0038%20(Large).jpg

The new additions to the Rail Road... Trestles...

DSC_0043%20(Large).jpg

I'm pretty torn up that they whacked so much off the end of TSI. I wouldn't make it over to the island this trip, but it's a must on my next trip to the park.

DSC_0053%20(Large).jpg

The Chief has never looked better.

DSC_0059%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0068%20(Large).jpg

The island is going to take a while to develop the flora.

DSC_0081%20(Large).jpg

Even tiny horned lizards adorn the rocks next to the DLRR. Thanks Disney for making even the smallest details..

DSC_0110%20(Large).jpg

Some people having fun on a run-away railroad... and some goats..

DSC_0116%20(Large).jpg

The newest tunnel. I honestly expected a little more out of this. There's some vintage attraction posters painted on the inside of the tunnel, but that's it. Missed opportunity, Disney for some sort of interactive show.

DSC_0121%20(Large).jpg

Tracks of the past meet tracks of the future...

DSC_0125%20(Large).jpg

Time to check out the updated dioramas. Depicted from its south rim, the canyon is revealed on a canvas that is 306 feet long and 34 feet high, making this backdrop one of the world’s longest dioramas. Another remarkable aspect of this canvas: it’s seamless and handwoven.

This replica of the Grand Canyon required 300 gallons of paint to capture its natural marvels, including a snowfall, a storm, a sunset and a rainbow. The scene is based upon Walt Disney’s Academy Award-winning live-action short subject of 1958, “Grand Canyon.”

The canyon ridges are filled with all kinds of critters, including deer, mountain lions, skunks and wild turkeys. The mood is set by the click-clack of train wheels, accentuated by music from the “On The Trail” section of American composer Ferde Grofe’s Grand Canyon Suite. One thing I've never noticed before is that the ceiling above the train is done in the fashion of an old covered bridge. THAT is attention to detail.

The latest refurb had projection added. Now birds swirl on the canyon thermals.

DSC_0131%20(Large).jpg

Deer

DSC_0132%20(Large).jpg

Some porcupines

DSC_0134%20(Large).jpg

A mountain Lion stalking some bunnies

DSC_0139%20(Large).jpg

Wild Turkey.

DSC_0152%20(Large).jpg

Next you are thrust into Primeval world. The covered bridge morphs into a cavern.

Having appeared at the New York World’s Fair two years earlier, the prehistoric creatures, brought to life through Audio-Animatronics technology, debuted at Disneyland park on July 1, 1966.

DSC_0162%20(Large).jpg

The three baby Brontosaurus are named Huey, Dewey and Louie.

DSC_0164%20(Large).jpg

The pterodactyls... there was some more projection added here with flocks of them flying in the background.

DSC_0167%20(Large).jpg

Attention to detail is amazing. You can even see the veins in the wing skin.

DSC_0169%20(Large).jpg

Freshly hatched Triceratops.

DSC_0172%20(Large).jpg

Boy am I thirsty.

DSC_0181%20(Large).jpg

More projection on this one with the volcano in the background erupting something fierce!!!

DSC_0183%20(Large).jpg

DSC_0189%20(Large).jpg

And then it was over, we excited the tunnel and were thrust back into early 20th century Main Street... USA.

A quick consultation of the watch, and it was now 6:40. Time for ONE LAST ATTRACTION...

We made our way up Main Street and over to the icy peaks of the Matterhorn.

DSC_0204%20(Large).jpg

I've written about the Wells Expedition in previous trip reports. Just use the search to read the story and the significance.

DSC_0206%20(Large).jpg

Getting a good shot of Harold is always hard. It's dark the sleds are moving fast, Autofocus won't work in said conditions without AF-illumination turned on and even then, it probably couldn't react fast enough. This one isn't bad, but far from great.

DSC_0208%20(Large).jpg

LOVE the attention to detail you'll only get a glimpse of as you hurtle by hanging on for dear life (and dear spine)

DSC_0209%20(Large).jpg

I have never gotten a shot of Harold down on the lower part of the mountain even remotely close to this one. Luck? Skill? Who knows, but I like it!!!

DSC_0216%20(Large).jpg

And SPLASH DOWN!!!

DSC_0220%20(Large).jpg

I really enjoy your posts. It's like being there, but with someone to make me slow down and appreciate all the little details. :) I also love Toon Town (especially if I have little kids with me) and all its details, and will be really sad if they ever decide to get rid of it. I liked a Bug's Land too (for the awesome theming) but would probably miss Toon Town more.

After a quick trip back to the Hotel, Amy and I commenced to changing. Amy had grabbed pretzels (Wetzel's of course) when she had taken Vic back while I had the older two on the Matterhorn. Lindsey and Reese showed up not too much later for a night of Disney movies and fun in the room while Amy and I were headed out to Napa Rose. It was to be our first Chef's Counter since October, 2014 which Lindsey had accompanied us to (check that Trip Report out in my signature... it's pretty EPIC). We have been to Napa a few times since then, once on our 2015 10-day trip (Trip Report YET to be published... soon though), but that was regular table service, and once with Katherine on her 10th Birthday solo trip in 2016, but that was just the lounge.

Excited, we left the hotel and started a leisurely stroll through Downtown Disney to the Grand, hanging a right at Sephora. We were HOME... We arrived at 7:58 for my 8:00 reservation.

I had to snap a pic of the ceiling. I hadn't been in Napa since Katherine's Birthday trip and even though I had taken quite a bit of pics on the Art of the Craft tour (check that Trip Report out too!!), I had failed to notice how much I love the design elements of this place. These to me at least look like garlic scapes or onion buds.

DSC_0221%20(Large).jpg

We were promptly seated at the right of the two Chef's Counters (the third being around the side at the dessert station). This was the same seating we had back in 2014, and what I think is the perfect of the bunch. Chef Francisco Origel came by and introduced himself and said he'd be cooking for us tonight. So jazzed.

Our Chef of the evening:

00931-499x750%20(Large).jpg

We each started with a drink before we even got to discussing how we'd be dining. Amy went with a Brut Rose from Domaine Chandon.

IMG_8354%20(Large).jpg

I had the En Route Pinot Noir by Far Niente.

IMG_8356%20(Large).jpg

Our Server Rodney came by and got us started. We were both going with the Chef's choice. We of course had some of the varied artisanal breads with their delicious butter while we waited..

The chef came around and asked about our preferences, allergies, and general dislikes. Satisfied he had two culinary-adventurous customers, he proceeded to start crafting our menu. Shortly after, our Amuse Bouche was a Golden beet Espuma with goat cheese. I feel like I had this recently at Club 33 as well. Not a real fan.

IMG_8359%20(Large).jpg

Right as the first course came out, we realized we had neglected to order the wine pairings with the meal. Time to play catch-up.

First course for Amy was Striped Bass topped with Capers, over Potatoes and Flame Grapes with a Meyer Lemon sauce. Her wine pairing was the Gustave Lorentz Gewürztraminer. I had a bite and while I don't like grapes in my dishes (Looking at you Carthay Circle when you tried to convince me that grapes was a reasonable accompaniment to a steak), this worked well over-all. The fish flakey and perfectly cooked. The capers providing the salty brine to accompany the fish, the grapes a hint of sweetness paired with the Meyer Lemon Sauce bringing a level of velvetiness to the starch of the potato. YUM. The Gewurztraminer was a sweet contrast to the acid and salt of the dish.

IMG_8360%20(Large).jpg

Mine would be Some lightly seared Yellow tail with Ruby grapefruit, lobster, avocado, cucumber, and basil. My wine pairing was the Pewsey Vale, Riesling. This dish had a lot of sweetness to it. The fish was delicious, the lobster sweet and briny, the avocado luxuriously fatty, the cucumber, crunchy and crisp, and the basil supplied a nice herbaceous bite. The grapefruit brought it all together with some acid, some bitterness, and that citrus brightness that you can't find anywhere else. All paired with a sweet Riesling. I've never had grapefruit, avocado, and lobster together... but I LOVE IT. This might make it into my own kitchen as a test experience.

IMG_8361%20(Large).jpg

Both dishes were AMAZING!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!