Matt's 2019, Spring Dapper Day Trip for Char's 10th Birthday with Napa Rose/Club 33!!

whoever

DIS Veteran
This is Charlotte's 10th Birthday Celebration Solo trip. For those who don't know this Disney Family, we take each girl on their own solo trip to The Disneyland Resort for their 10th Birthday. If you haven't read my previous TRs, you should probably do so now. We never hold back and have an ABSOLUTE BLAST on every trip. NO SISTERS!!! We start in Phoenix, where Amy's little sister flew in to watch the other two girls while we were on our trip. She took the other two to school, and we left the house shortly thereafter...sorta.

4/11/2019...7:53 AM... We FINALLY left... after numerous we forgot this, we forgot that, let's take one more potty break, etc....

IMG_7481%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte folded both of the second row captain's chairs so she'd have a mini-living room to stretch out in waaaaay back in the 3rd row of the Axiom.

IMG_8714%20(Large).jpg

A quick mile and a half on surface streets, and we jumped on the I10, and headed West!!

IMG_7483%20(Large).jpg

Traffic in Downtown Phoenix where we call home was surprisingly light!

IMG_7487%20(Large).jpg

We settled in, and made for the last fuel stop in AZ, where we always fuel, bathroom, and food, before we enter CA!!

IMG_7493%20(Large).jpg

Amy occupied herself with sewing Char's Stitch Ears for the coming Sunday.

IMG_8719%20(Large).jpg

9:43 AM, we hit Ehrenberg and the Flying J where we always fuel. This is a common sight with a 6000#, 450HP luxobarge which we affectionately call the Axiom after WALL-E.

IMG_7497%20(Large).jpg

12.78 gallons refilled after the 148 mile trip didn't bode well due to the substantial headwind we were running against (11.6MPG running on 91 octane). I try NEVER to fuel in CA due to their ridiculous fuel prices largely due to the tax, but we'd figure it out. At 9:52, we were back on the road, fueled, dead insects cleaned off the windshield, and some food in our stomachs. Imagine my joy when I found that the headwind we had faced all the way from Phoenix, quickly dropped off, and I was able to post some respectable fuel economy.

IMG_7505%20(Large).jpg

Feeling happy that we were getting closer..

IMG_7514%20(Large).jpg

Nearing Indo and the wind farms..

IMG_7518%20(Large).jpg

IMG_8734%20(Large).jpg

After we got off the 10, and onto the 60 by Hinda, I noticed that I'd NEVER seen those hills that green. Here's to hoping CA has a mild fire season.

IMG_8736%20(Large).jpg

FINALLY, we are getting close!!!

IMG_8742%20(Large).jpg

I'll never get used to the site of Guardians... BLECH.

IMG_8753%20(Large).JPG

Char is back awake and getting excited!!

IMG_7529%20(Large).jpg

Oh how I wish they had just demolished Paradise Pier Hotel and put the third gate which would be a combined Star Wars/Marvel land on that property... could have connected it with tunnels...

IMG_7533%20(Large).jpg

Here was our turn. Been a few trips since we've stayed at our CA home, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel and Spa.

IMG_7538%20(Large).jpg

We gave our name, and pulled straight through. It was oddly not busy.

IMG_8761%20(Large).jpg

We relatively quickly valeted and put our 12 bags (yes, 12 items, for 3 people for 4 days) on the Bell cart, and made our way inside... so happy to finally be home. I couldn't help one look back at that favorite porte-cochère I love so much.

IMG_7544%20(Large).jpg

After our arrival at 12:52PM, being in the vehicle for just a hair under five hours with precious chance to stretch our legs, it was GREAT to be out of the vehicle. Amy and Char went to the ladies room to freshen up while I went to the front desk to check in. I requested a room over Napa Rose, which is our favorite location, but being that we were on convention rates (easily 50% rack rate) for Dapper Day, it wasn't in the cards despite much shuffling by my reception host. Despite that set back, we were granted immediate access to our room, 4223. We've stayed close to that room before, the last time, on Amy and my solo trip for her 35th birthday, but we've never stayed at the Grand post-remodel as our last few trips have been at the Disneyland Hotel.

Thoughts on the new rooms... Given I own EVERY piece of furniture and/or fixtures including the paintings out of the old rooms and call it home every day when I walk into my master suite, I was a little hesitant to check out the new rooms despite having seeing them before. Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly... The good...they are brighter. They have whole-room lighting with a tray ceiling and bathroom mirror. They are very light furnishings compared to the old. The entry way/bathroom is faux wood to eliminate the sticky carpet from stroller parking with bubble wands. The bad... The room is CRAMPED. There's NO ROOM for anything. While the sleeper sofa is nice, we felt starved for space with only 3 people even stashing luggage below the beds. The UGLY... The closet got smaller somehow... practically ZERO SPACE for hanging. The fridge is useless as all get-out for anything not a 12-oz can of soda. Zero depth, minimal height, and weak shelves and no freezer. No tub is a lose IMHO. Shower is nice, however.

DSC_5571%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5574%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5580%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5583%20(Large).jpg

While I own all the framed art from the old rooms, I really liked this stuff too.

DSC_5585%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5586%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5589%20(Large).jpg

The Keurig is an improvement. The TINY fridge is a detriment. The only 2-non-decaf K-cups per day... FAIL.

DSC_5591%20(Large).jpg

USB charging ports and extra outlets are a plus.

DSC_5593%20(Large).jpg

Want this...

DSC_5595%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte claiming her space despite changing her mind later..

IMG_7546%20(Large).jpg

Like the new sconces over the beds, but like mine better. These are individually switched vs. the old ones being on a circuit.

DSC_5597%20(Large).jpg

Love the Dale inlay to the wood.

DSC_5599%20(Large).jpg

And how it extends into the Chip on the mural.

DSC_5601%20(Large).jpg

I'd have that in my home...

DSC_5603%20(Large).jpg

They were loving it.

IMG_7547%20(Large).jpg

IMG_7549%20(Large).jpg

New Vanity. I was tempted to ask if they'd sell that Mickey Stool

DSC_5606%20(Large).jpg

New Shower/commode.

DSC_5609%20(Large).jpg

I LOVE this over the commode. Really need that...

DSC_5611%20(Large).jpg

The flooring is a basket-weave in Travertine. I installed that in the girl's bathroom but, in Carrera. It was almost like we were in our own house.

DSC_5614%20(Large).jpg

The diminutive closet..

DSC_5616%20(Large).jpg

The views out of the front of the hotel are lackluster to say the least. I hate this view most of all, but saving easily $400/night, who could complain. The trees have gotten pretty large in the nearly 20 years since they were planted.

DSC_5618%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5619%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5623%20(Large).jpg

I can't believe how green those hills are! I'm hoping they are still as beautiful when we go out this next weekend! So looking forward to it, and to some nice-looking weather! And wow, you guys make good time! Looking forward to that, too, someday. It usually takes us more like 6 1/2 - 7 between having too many small children and having bad luck with accidents shutting down the road... Excited to hear how it all went!

The bad... The room is CRAMPED. There's NO ROOM for anything. While the sleeper sofa is nice, we felt starved for space with only 3 people even stashing luggage below the beds.

That... really is cramped. Do all of the remodeled rooms have the sleeper sofa? That's a bummer. Your family is super cute and I appreciate all of the details you put into your trip reports. Cheers! :goodvibes

I can't believe how green those hills are! I'm hoping they are still as beautiful when we go out this next weekend! So looking forward to it, and to some nice-looking weather! And wow, you guys make good time! Looking forward to that, too, someday. It usually takes us more like 6 1/2 - 7 between having too many small children and having bad luck with accidents shutting down the road... Excited to hear how it all went!
We had amazing luck on this trip. Under 5 hours both ways, which never happens at least going there, and seldom coming home. Traffic was great both coming and going. Crowds were super light as you'll see as I get into the report, and the weather was PERFECT!! I couldn't have asked for more favorable conditions honestly on all those aspects.

That... really is cramped. Do all of the remodeled rooms have the sleeper sofa? That's a bummer. Your family is super cute and I appreciate all of the details you put into your trip reports. Cheers! :goodvibes
It's their solution to eliminating the bunk beds, so I would guess nearly all the rooms have them unless you just get the King room. I'm honestly not a fan, but since I bought all the furniture/headboards from the old rooms, I get to live in 2001-2018 Grand Californian every day at home, LOL.

Yay! I’m totally here for this! I really enjoy your reports and pics :) How fun to do a trip with each of your girls too, that’s definitely something I would love to do with mine.

Love all the pics of the room! I’ll be staying there for the first time this summer, and can’t wait. That’s such a bummer they’ve skimped on the storage space though!

At ten to two, we left the room, did a quick reconnaissance of the Acorn Gift Shop at the Grand, and headed into the park. Security checkpoint was super light, so we breezed right through, despite me having to get wanded due to my belt buckle. Security would be super inconsistent throughout the trip, some guards digging through everything, others doing cursory glances and moving on. Behavioral profiling training would go a long way here.

DSC_5629%20(Large).jpg

As we were walking past World of Disney, a CM was at the doors with the egg picture props. We took a quick pic, entered WoD, and proceeded to pick up an egg hunt kit. We also found our first egg of the weekend. Sadly, we wouldn't find time to do either of the egg hunts we purchased as we ran out of time. Doh..

DSC_5637%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5639%20(Large).jpg

Ten minutes later, we were headed to Disneyland. It was super light lines, and we took pictures for our pics, and headed in.

DSC_5643%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5657%20(Large).jpg

I had heard they were going to remove the ICONIC Adventureland Sign, so I made sure to get one last pic... it would be removed a mere couple days after our departure... so sad. Insert SWL rant here:

DSC_5671%20(Large).jpg

Our first stop wasn't an attraction, but a dining destination... I HAD to check out the Tropical Hideaway!!

DSC_5673%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5679%20(Large).jpg

I LOVE the theming!!

DSC_5681%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5683%20(Large).jpg

I ended up ordering a Bulgogi Beef Bao ($5.99), some dipping sauce (at $0.59 extra charge I might add, which was NOT communicated to me when I picked the sauce up), a Loaded Whip with Pineapple/Raspberry instead of the Pineapple/Orange ($7.99), and a few of the Parrot Sporks ($2.99 each). When we had entered, Amy had headed over to Bengal BBQ and grabbed a Bengal Beef Skewer ($5.49), a Safari Skewer ($4.99), a Jungle Julep ($5.49), and a Lemonade Slush ($5.99)

First up, the loaded Whip, which was Pineapple and Raspberry Swirl, Exotic Fruit, Crystallized Hibiscus, presented with some Pocky sticks. As far as the Tropical Hideaway went, this was the star.

DSC_5687%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5689%20(Large).jpg

The Beef Bao, which was Beef, Sweet Chilies, and Potatoes, stuck to the paper bag they served it in, and was pretty much devoid of flavor. It really needed that up charged dipping sauce they nickel and dime you for. HARD PASS, Disney!!!

DSC_5705%20(Large).jpg

Next up was the Safari Skewer, which is just Bacon-wrapped Asparagus, was a huge hit. Not sure if I would prefer this or the Pork Belly Skewer for an extra buck, but it was GREAT! For the drinks, The Piranha Lemonade Slushy (Mango and Pineapple Lemonade with Lychee and Pomegranate Popping Pearls) was the star of the beverages. Would LOVE this again. The Jungle Julep (refreshing Slush of Pineapple, Orange, Grape, and Lemon Juices), I could quite frankly do without. It was decent, but not worth the price IMHO.

DSC_5694%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte loves the Beef Skewers, sans sauce, and she was amply satiated by the dessert, drinks, and beef.

DSC_5722%20(Large).jpg

I loved the props and tie-in to the Jungle Cruise.....

DSC_5727%20(Large).jpg

.... which was our first attraction of the trip!!

DSC_5735%20(Large).jpg

Love me some Schweitzer Falls.

DSC_5741%20(Large).jpg

Surviving a trip from a bad place to be-headed, we enjoyed the view of the Hideaway from the bote (intentional misspelling)!!!

DSC_5743%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5750%20(Large).jpg

Yay! I’m totally here for this! I really enjoy your reports and pics :) How fun to do a trip with each of your girls too, that’s definitely something I would love to do with mine.

Love all the pics of the room! I’ll be staying there for the first time this summer, and can’t wait. That’s such a bummer they’ve skimped on the storage space though!
You'll love it, I'm sure. It's still my favorite property of the DLR (does Paradise Pier even count?). I just love that hotel, so beautifully themed.

Now, safely back from the rivers of adventure, we made our way to what is normally our FIRST attraction of every trip.... who can guess?
Pirates, of course!!! This was my first trip on Pirates after all the extensive re-Imagineering of several of the show scenes.

DSC_5766%20(Large).jpg

These two are VERY intently pondering their next moves.

DSC_5771%20(Large).jpg

The Red Head painting was practically non-visible with the lighting so low

DSC_5773%20(Large).jpg

He moved his magnifying glass. You used to see his toothy grin, now it shows his eyes to the passing skiff.

DSC_5780%20(Large).jpg

And the contents of his table have been rearranged and replaced with new items..

DSC_5781%20(Large).jpg

I didn't notice any changes in the treasure room.

DSC_5786%20(Large).jpg

Let me say HOW UNFATHOMLY HAPPY I was to see the mist screen and Davy Jones gone for good. The new show scene is perfection of practical effects which pays homage to the original intent of the attraction.

DSC_5794%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5796%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5805%20(Large).jpg

The next new/updates show scene, I'm pretty sore about. I'm sure I'll catch flak for this, but I really don't care. I hate when they change things for PC reasons and not because it fits into the story line as originally imagined. Disney wasn't endorsing human trafficking or rape, they were just depicting what pirates did... really bad things. As a Disney shareholder, I'm sure not one penny was lost to me or the other owners out of outrage about a show scene that's been around for over 50 years unchanged. What's next, changing the iconic theme song?

Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me
We pillage, we plunder, we rifle, and loot
Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot
Drink up me 'earties, yo ho

We extort, we pilfer, we filch, and sack
Maraud and embezzle, and even high-jack

We kindle and char, inflame and ignite
We burn up the city, we're really a fright

We're rascals, scoundrels, villans, and knaves
We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs

We're beggars and blighters, ne'er-do-well cads
Aye, but we're loved by our mommies and dads

DSC_5820%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5822%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5826%20(Large).jpg

DSC_5830%20(Large).jpg

The whole of the attraction was pretty low lighting compared to past trips.

DSC_5850%20(Large).jpg

Jack was EXTRA drunk today.

DSC_5871%20(Large).jpg

After we returned from our voyage of the damned, we returned safely to port, and made our way through Pieces of Eight, and settled in the court for 21 Royal.

DSC_5875%20(Large).jpg

Guess who's going to be upstairs here in October? Da Boss!!!

DSC_5876%20(Large).jpg

Just wanted to say following your trip report - looking forward to living vicariously through it for your club 33 experience :D

Our trip to the club isn't until the evening of Day 3, so buckle up because it's gonna be a bit.

Enjoying your report and wonderful pictures! And I'm with you on POTC. Wish they would have left it alone.

Enjoying your report and wonderful pictures! And I'm with you on POTC. Wish they would have left it alone.
I'm all for change if it makes sense, but I have heartburn over touching Walt's vision. I have no qualms about changing at World/Paris, but don't screw up Disneyland.

The Tropical Hideaway looks pretty cool. We're going to have to grab some snacks there! And I'm interested to see the changes to POTC and how I feel about them. I already know I'm unimpressed at the loss of the redhead scene... We've never done the Jungle Cruise early in the day like that. We did once do it after dark (a few trips ago) when they were waving people in because there was no line, and it was actually pretty fun. :)

You'll love it, I'm sure. It's still my favorite property of the DLR (does Paradise Pier even count?). I just love that hotel, so beautifully themed.

I’m sure I will too! We did PPH on our 2015 trip (which was our first trip as a family), but then we did DLH in 2017 and PPH just doesn’t compare anymore. Haha! DH and my kids won’t be with me this summer to see how GCH works for the family, but I am
pretty sure I will be convincing him that we all have to stay at GCH on our next family trip. I’m already predicting it will be my fave :)

I’m sure I will too! We did PPH on our 2015 trip (which was our first trip as a family), but then we did DLH in 2017 and PPH just doesn’t compare anymore. Haha! DH and my kids won’t be with me this summer to see how GCH works for the family, but I am
pretty sure I will be convincing him that we all have to stay at GCH on our next family trip. I’m already predicting it will be my fave :)

We made the mistake of staying at the GCH for our first family stay.... everything else was tainted after that LOL. We do love the DLH too, just in different ways. The pools/cabanas far eclipse the Grand's.

Following. Love the detailed pictures!

One of these days I'll finally write a trip report. I take so many pictures and have a pretty good memory, but just never have enough time to sit down and write between classes and work! Maybe I'll do one for when we're there on Star Wars opening day... I'm sure they make a great memory look back years later.

Being as the exit of Pirates dumps you firmly in New Orleans Square, we chose to take on the second E-ticket the land had to offer... but not before a stroll through Magnoia Park. This is one of the best attractions of the park(s), but not on any map you will find. Magnolia park is simply AMAZING, and evokes the feeling of being in a southern city PERFECTLY.

DSC_5884%20(Large).jpg

And is the perfect queue for the Haunted Mansion. I'd love this suit of armor in my home... it could clean and mop

DSC_5886%20(Large).jpg

I love the guest register. What I WOULDN'Tgive to take a look at it.

DSC_5906%20(Large).jpg

When they said swinging wake, they really meant swinging...

DSC_5939%20(Large).jpg

This portrait looks ANGRY

DSC_5943%20(Large).jpg

I was RIGHT!!

DSC_5949%20(Large).jpg

Who is playing that piano?

DSC_5957%20(Large).jpg

Clearly this gentleman!

DSC_5963%20(Large).jpg

Surviving becoming the 1000th Ghost, we emerged, and headed North along the Rivers of America. Imagine my dismay to see the Galaxy's edge showing it's ugly face along the river.

DSC_6019%20(Large).jpg

While waiting, I watched a canoe launch. If you've never seen or experienced it, it's a LITERAL experiment in communication gone wrong. Nobody but the initiated can paddle, and everybody just blindly dips on the wrong stroke. This sort of imersive experience and the comic relief are what separates DLR from the sub-standard parks. DLR as long as it has these type of imersive features will always remain the industry leader.

DSC_6022%20(Large).jpg

Being in NOS, on Charlotte's Birthday, she clearly only eats Steak and Sugar... So Sugar it is. Beignets were bountiful

DSC_6025%20(Large).jpg

Amy HATES when I take her picture eating something... I keep doing it. I expect it in divorce proceedings some day.

DSC_6028%20(Large).jpg

At Least Char is happy.

DSC_6040%20(Large).jpg

The Sailing Ship Columbia was looking Majestic as we walked by

DSC_6049%20(Large).jpg

Char and Amy.. happy on the sugar rush..

DSC_6058%20(Large).jpg

We grabbed some Thunder FP on our way through. I being me, and never letting well enough alone, examined the sign and determined they hadn't actually shot it organically with bullets, but had instead, fashioned a punch which had the tear marks machined into it and just used in 180* increments. I would have personally shot it with varying calibers for authenticity.

DSC_6061%20(Large).jpg

We ventured over to Indy, and got in queue. This queue NEEDS TIME.... I'm kinda pissed people are rushed through it, as besides Rodger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, it is HANDS DOWN THE BEST QUEUE on property.

DSC_6083%20(Large).jpg

Take a look closer... anybody know the meaning of the carvings?

DSC_6083_crop%20(Large).jpg

Even the projection room...

DSC_6084%20(Large).jpg

And what do I see?

DSC_6088_uncrop%20(Large).jpg

It's the old Eeyore sign from the parking lot the show building replaced....

DSC_6088%20(Large).jpg

Mara is ANGRY!!

DSC_6100%20(Large).jpg

We found Indy... just hanging around..

DSC_6127%20(Large).jpg

He aparently found his way down.

DSC_6139%20(Large).jpg

Charlotte and I posing... in front of..

DSC_6151%20(Large).jpg

Distilled water... My only still isn't for water...

DSC_6152%20(Large).jpg

And heading back into Adventureland, we found an Egg!!!

DSC_6156%20(Large).jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter