Matching shirts. Yay or Nay

Should anyone want to make a low-cost same design shirt in multiples with a simple to copy design glow paint is a good way to go.
The Mickey Mouse frontal silhouette is simple to duplicate using 2 sizes of circles which are probably already in your house. Or just copy one online.
This one currently has me in "Awwww" mode:

il_340x270.1419990768_ju0q.jpg

I'd use a black t-shirt and outline the darker color in a thick bright white or yellow line to make it "pop" but your imagination is your guide.

I say yay! I think they are adorable, and they also help prevent people (AKA little ones) from being lost/separated from the group. Plus it's just fun to look back on in pictures!

Should anyone want to make a low-cost same design shirt in multiples with a simple to copy design glow paint is a good way to go.
The Mickey Mouse frontal silhouette is simple to duplicate using 2 sizes of circles which are probably already in your house. Or just copy one online.
This one currently has me in "Awwww" mode:

il_340x270.1419990768_ju0q.jpg

I'd use a black t-shirt and outline the darker color in a thick bright white or yellow line to make it "pop" but your imagination is your guide.
Great idea. Except that I am crafty challenged.

Yay!
It's like you read my mind. I spent the entire day looking at family shirts. I am borrowing my friend's cricut and am going to try my hand at making heat transfer vinyl for the 7 of us.

Any tips from my DIS family is greatly appreciated!

On Etsy you can find designs that are svg and/or png (cut files). In fact I usually search “Disney svg png” or if you are looking for a particular character, include that (of course). (One of my favorite shops for clean, simple designs is 43nineteen.) You want to look for one-color images (like silhouettes) or files that have layers. For example, the Mickey head that someone posted earlier would not be good for you because it’s a single-layer image. If you cut it on the Cricut it will not have the black, red, yellow, just a solid Mickey head in the one color HTV you use.

If it is a layered image, then the colors will be separated and you will use black vinyl for the black areas, red vinyl for the red, etc. Then you have to place them on the shirt in layers. There are YouTube videos to demonstrate.

It is also possible to print the image on regular iron-on transfers and then cut the image on the Cricut, but the downside to that is that not all iron-on transfer paper is equal nor are all printers. I can recommend good transfer paper for dark (colored) shirts, if you want.

A tricky part of designing t-shirts is making sure the image is on the shirt straight and centered, especially if the shirts themselves were made kinda wonky. I haven’t completely mastered that skill myself, but I haven’t had any major disasters.

Honestly, our family’s perennial favorite has been the tie-dye Mickey head shirts. It’s a fun family activity and the shirts aren’t SO matchy, because everyone’s tie-dye turns out different. You can search Google or Pinterest for pictures and instructions. Use good quality fabric dye and the color will stay vibrant for years. (I buy mine from Dharma Trading.)

There are lots of other cute Disney DIY shirt ideas that don’t require a Cricut. Sometimes involving everyone in making the shirts makes them a little more excited about wearing them. Hope this helps!

We did matching shirts for a family of 15 at DL a few weeks ago. I got them on Zazzle. The front of them had the Disney logo with characters, and underneath I had our family name and #familyvacation. I was able to customize the back of each shirt with a funny/personal phrase for each person.

Pros:
  1. Easy to find our whole group as we were walking or going through the ride lines (Party of 15... we're all wearing the same shirt!)
  2. Several people said it was entertaining to read all of them while they were waiting in line near us
  3. They were athletic shirts - so they helped with the extreme heat
Cons:
  1. None - except that we only planned on wearing them one day, but my sister insisted we wash them all and wear them our 2nd day because of #1 Pro above

I should add - we ranged in age from 7 to 71, including a couple of teenage boys. I kept them a secret until the day before and did a big reveal and everyone was laughing as I passed them out. Including my dad (the 71 year old) who kept insisting that he didn't wear matching shirts. Guess what his said on the back? :rotfl2:

shirts_front.jpg shirts_back.jpg

I say Yah! We wear them because it makes it that much easier to find my family in a crowd and when we have a lost family member that wandered, I just point to my shirt and say the kid is wearing this exact shirt! lol

We're usually a "nay", but we wore matching shirts on my nephew's 2nd birthday in the park. I'm a new aunt, so it was pretty awesome having an "aunt" shirt! We asked around and found a friend of a friend that made them for us cheap. But sites like etsy are great for them. Ask around, you never know who knows how to make custom tees

We did matching shirts for a family of 15 at DL a few weeks ago. I got them on Zazzle. The front of them had the Disney logo with characters, and underneath I had our family name and #familyvacation. I was able to customize the back of each shirt with a funny/personal phrase for each person.

Pros:
  1. Easy to find our whole group as we were walking or going through the ride lines (Party of 15... we're all wearing the same shirt!)
  2. Several people said it was entertaining to read all of them while they were waiting in line near us
Cons:
  1. None - except that we only planned on wearing them one day, but my sister insisted we wash them all and wear them our 2nd day because of #1 Pro above

I should add - we ranged in age from 7 to 71, including a couple of teenage boys. I kept them a secret until the day before and did a big reveal and everyone was laughing as I passed them out. Including my dad (the 71 year old) who kept insisting that he didn't wear matching shirts. Guess what his said on the back? :rotfl2:

View attachment 340728 View attachment 340729
Love them. They came out great...not sure if I could come up with 11 sayings though. Great job. Loved your dads

We found cute Cinderella's castle t-shirts in different colors on Amazon. Everyone got to pick their favorite color and we had their favorite character's name printed on the back. We wore them on the first day in MK. Every other day, we wore whatever we wanted.

On Etsy you can find designs that are svg and/or png (cut files). In fact I usually search “Disney svg png” or if you are looking for a particular character, include that (of course). (One of my favorite shops for clean, simple designs is 43nineteen.) You want to look for one-color images (like silhouettes) or files that have layers. For example, the Mickey head that someone posted earlier would not be good for you because it’s a single-layer image. If you cut it on the Cricut it will not have the black, red, yellow, just a solid Mickey head in the one color HTV you use.

If it is a layered image, then the colors will be separated and you will use black vinyl for the black areas, red vinyl for the red, etc. Then you have to place them on the shirt in layers. There are YouTube videos to demonstrate.

It is also possible to print the image on regular iron-on transfers and then cut the image on the Cricut, but the downside to that is that not all iron-on transfer paper is equal nor are all printers. I can recommend good transfer paper for dark (colored) shirts, if you want.

A tricky part of designing t-shirts is making sure the image is on the shirt straight and centered, especially if the shirts themselves were made kinda wonky. I haven’t completely mastered that skill myself, but I haven’t had any major disasters.

Honestly, our family’s perennial favorite has been the tie-dye Mickey head shirts. It’s a fun family activity and the shirts aren’t SO matchy, because everyone’s tie-dye turns out different. You can search Google or Pinterest for pictures and instructions. Use good quality fabric dye and the color will stay vibrant for years. (I buy mine from Dharma Trading.)

There are lots of other cute Disney DIY shirt ideas that don’t require a Cricut. Sometimes involving everyone in making the shirts makes them a little more excited about wearing them. Hope this helps!
I am not a crafty person. So the simpler the better...where would I find ideas abitunthe tie dye shirts

I am not a crafty person. So the simpler the better...where would I find ideas abitunthe tie dye shirts

Just google “mickey head tie dye instructions” and you will see lots of different versions, some easier than others. :thumbsup2

would love to get matching shirts for our family trip in January. Not sure where to look. Just curious what’s the opinion
DH says nay. I say yay

We all say yay! We make our own matching tie dye Mickey shirts. Plus we have ordered shirts from Zazzle. We get many complements. Have fun!

We've never done them. I'm not really a fan.

DD and I are getting matching styled shirts but in different colors for our November mother/daughter trip. We will only wear the same shirts on the same day three times. Once for the Xmas party, once for our 4 parks 1 day and on arrival day we will wear our "BEST DAY EVER" shirts. But they will be different colors. That's as far as I can go.

I like to coordinate. I do not usually do exact shirts for my DH, DS and I but I will try to theme it to a character meal or park and have it coordinate or be similar color/styles. I use Etsy too and sometimes have custom made but again just not all exactly the same.

We've never done them. I'm not really a fan.

DD and I are getting matching styled shirts but in different colors for our November mother/daughter trip. We will only wear the same shirts on the same day three times. Once for the Xmas party, once for our 4 parks 1 day and on arrival day we will wear our "BEST DAY EVER" shirts. But they will be different colors. That's as far as I can go.

One step at a time...;)

Pros:
Cons:

View attachment 340728 View attachment 340729

Super Cute! Tried to read the back of your shirts ... can you please let us know what they say? Can't read from your photo. Thanks!!

Thank you so much! I did check it you tube and potentially gave myself some false hope that i can do it.

Thank you so much! I did check it you tube and potentially gave myself some false hope that i can do it.

Don’t be hard on yourself! You CAN do it! :cheer2: Just buy some cheap white T-shirts and practice on one or two. And, truth be told, it’s hard to mess up tie dye.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter