Masks?

miccolt

Earning My Ears
I am wondering about other people's experiences, as I have been housebound for about a month. Are you wearing masks when you go into the community for grocery shopping etc? If so, where did you get your mask? I don't have the ability or materials to make one at home, but I am a little nervous about what I see on amazon....
Thanks in advance. I have become increasingly worried about this and was hoping someone on here can help me out.

I don’t have a sewing machine and I don’t have time to sew any as I am working from home. A friend gave me some disposable ones her relatives in Hong Kong sent her. I use those when I go out for a longe while to a few places for grocery shopping and to deliver stuff to my elderly mom, usually on the same day. I saw some black cotton masks in a Korean supermarket selling at $7. I bought 4, two for me and two for a retired colleague. I delivered them to my colleague with a few disposable ones since he told me he had none. I use the cloth one if I need to do a quick short run like going to Rexall today or getting takeout. I wash the cloth one right away once I get home. When I finish using the disposable ones, I am planning to double up the cloth ones so I will have 4 layers of filter. I have to say that I do feel safer wearing a mask in terms of not passing germs to others. As I am the designated person to leave my household, I am worried that I may get infected without knowing it. I don’t want to infect other people.

I made one (I do sew) but looked on Etsy first, they had some long wait times but were reasonable prices. There is also a local lady who is selling them and will drop off to your door step. A friend bought a couple that way. I plan to make a few for my parents and drop them off for them. I wear it when I go to the store, realized how warm it makes me but I feel better and am hopefully keeping others safe? About 1/3 of the people I saw in stores today had various types on, including just using a bandanna.

It does all seem a little unreal to be thinking of masks, and wondering when life will return to "normal" and what that will look like, are masks here to stay?

I spent the last week or so puttering away with my sewing machine and tons of scraps of material, old curtains & shirts and knocked out a bunch of masks for the hubby & myself, our daughter & her wife and our next-door neighbours. I had to make a quick run to No Frills today to get a few things and the only person wearing a mask was the security guard at the door.

NOW .. here's a SUPER easy mask to make using a t-shirt and a pair of scissors, seriously that's ALL you need to make this! It's even one of the types that pops up on the CDC website.

And if you'd like to see a pattern-type thing if that's your learning style here you go
  1. Start with an old T-shirt, preferably 100% cotton – anything will do, as long as it’s not too thin – and outline the pattern of the mask. The bottom line should go just beneath the armpits of the shirt. Make sure the part that goes on your face is large enough to cover your nose and mouth.
  2. Cut along the lines through both sides of the shirt so that your mask has two layers.
  3. Place a safety pin along the bottom and insert a piece of paper towel or coffee filter in between the two layers of the T-shirt. This acts as an additional filter, and rests on top of the safety pin.
  4. Secure the mask around the front of your face, covering your nose and mouth. Tie the top straps under the back of your head and the bottom straps at the top of your head. That will ensure a nice fit underneath your chin. By covering your mouth, you have now protected those around you, and the better the fit, the more you’re going to also protect yourself.

I made some. I don't do the shopping so I haven't worn one yet. DH wears them at the grocery store when he goes.

I share your concerns OP about buying on amazon. Also have concerns about purchasing home made masks from well meaning etsy entrepreneurs. I have some buffs from pre-virus times and could use those if masks become a must wear. I haven't seen anyone wearing any type of mask in the grocery store in my small Eastern Ontario city.

I had a box of masks that I purchased a few years ago which I would use when vacuuming leaves in the fall. I always wear one when I'm out shopping.

At Costco yesterday, some lady was blowing her nose, then coughing and hacking. Could just be allergies, but less likely with the coughing. Probably shouldn't have been out and about.

If you have a bandana or a scarf and some elastic bands, you can easily make one at home. Just google bandana mask. I also saw on tv directions to make one with those blue shop paper towels that Costco or Canadian tire sell. Basically the same way as the bandana.

The key is to NOT touch them at all when out or you risk contaminating your hand. I’ve seen many people wearing them when out but I try to just order groceries online.

Edited to add - here is a link https://www.realsimple.com/health/preventative-health/how-to-make-bandana-face-mask

This is a friend of mine, so I can vouch that she’s trustworthy and that her stuff isn’t junk. She normally makes dog collars and accessories she sells at the Campbellford market and craft shows, etc. but has branched out to masks during the current situation.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/ThreeF...name&listing_id=778479780&section_id=28401257
She has a lot more fabric stashed than what’s shown on Etsy, so you can contact her and ask if there’s a particular colour you were interested in. She did up two custom masks for my elderly mom in Barrie and my mom had them in less than a week (and that week included the Easter weekend).

Again, they’re not high tech medical masks that filter bacteria but they are the common “consumer use” ones that everyone (at least around here in Markham) uses at the grocery store. The most valid reason for wearing a mask that I’ve seen is in a video from a NY doctor where he says the mask will absolutely help remind you not to touch your face, which is an essential protection while you’re out in public.

I had a box of masks that I purchased a few years ago which I would use when vacuuming leaves in the fall. I always wear one when I'm out shopping.

Costco yesterday, some lady was blowing her nose, then coughing and hacking. Could just be allergies, but less likely with the coughing. Probably shouldn't have been out and about.
As someone who does suffer from seasonal allergies all that "lady's" symptoms could well have been allergies as I regularly do all three as well. I worry when I'm out and about that people will misinterpret my actions and I am completely confident they are just allergies. A little less judgement goes a long way.

If you're on FB, you may find people in your area making them and selling on Varagesale.

I haven't been into a store in 5 weeks so haven't worn one yet. I made a couple for my DD and I last weekend. I'm choosing to leave them at home so that if I do want to go into a store, I give myself 'thinking time' to determine if I really want to enter a particular store. :)

I need to pick up something from Best Buy later today. It says it's pickup 'in front of store'. not totally sure what that means but I will go equipped with my mask and plastic bags on my hands. Since my order is over $100 not sure tap will work so am going to take an extra bag with me so that if I have to tap the machine I can throw that bag in the garbage right then as I know there is one in front of their store.

People are under the misconception that masks make a huge difference. The only mask that makes any difference is an N-95 or equivalent and those should only be used right now by health care professionals. All other masks including procedure type masks only offer protection from or help protect others from direct particulate exposure. What a lot of people don't understand is that while it is important to protect against contact with "spit" it is the aerosolization of the covid 19 virus that you cant see that would not be filtered out by regular masks and especially home made ones, the areosolized particles are to small and will get through.

Even N-95 masks unless worn and fit properly wont protect, which is why you are seeing pictures of health care workers with bruising and scars on there faces (they are wearing the properly) but lots of people don't wear them properly as they tend to be uncomfortable.

So yes masks can help but please don't think they will make you bullet proof. Your best pet is to wash wash wash your hands and cough into your arm if you need to.

Masks are REQUIRED when you go into "essential businesses" now where I live. I think it's mostly all theater but those are the rules so, please, no debate here. We learned the hard way; put some thought into it and come up with something that is comfortable. Don't just wrap a bandanna around your head - it will slip off and be uncomfortable the whole time. We found a pattern on-line and I did some sewing using some old pillowcases and felt we had lying around. It works pretty well though NOT something I'd want to wear in the parks for a full day (assuming it comes to that - hope it doesn't). Another thing - the ones that hook over your ears we found were worthless - YMMV. Ties are the way to go.

People are under the misconception that masks make a huge difference. The only mask that makes any difference is an N-95 or equivalent and those should only be used right now by health care professionals. All other masks including procedure type masks only offer protection from or help protect others from direct particulate exposure. What a lot of people don't understand is that while it is important to protect against contact with "spit" it is the aerosolization of the covid 19 virus that you cant see that would not be filtered out by regular masks and especially home made ones, the areosolized particles are to small and will get through.

Even N-95 masks unless worn and fit properly wont protect, which is why you are seeing pictures of health care workers with bruising and scars on there faces (they are wearing the properly) but lots of people don't wear them properly as they tend to be uncomfortable.

So yes masks can help but please don't think they will make you bullet proof. Your best pet is to wash wash wash your hands and cough into your arm if you need to.
While I understand this, if the mask helps me not touch my face even once while I'm out it's worth it to me!

It's been widly publicized that non-N95 masks won't prevent me from getting the virus, each person must decide for themselves if they choose to wear one or not. There is no right or wrong in this, it's whatever is best for each person.

It's as the description says at the top of the pattern i posted:
My mask protects YOU , your mask protects ME! We're not wearing them to keep from GETTING COVID-19 but to help stop the spread of COVID-19 since you can spread it before you're symptomatic!

I am wondering about other people's experiences, as I have been housebound for about a month. Are you wearing masks when you go into the community for grocery shopping etc? If so, where did you get your mask? I don't have the ability or materials to make one at home, but I am a little nervous about what I see on amazon....
Thanks in advance. I have become increasingly worried about this and was hoping someone on here can help me out.
I made an easy mask by cutting off 6-7 inches from the bottom of a tee shirt (I used a turtleneck which is a bit thicker). Cut a rectangle out to create the ties. It may not look stylish but it works!

Attachments

• 20200417_132212.jpg
    20200417_132212.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 15

At Costco yesterday, some lady was blowing her nose, then coughing and hacking. Could just be allergies, but less likely with the coughing. Probably shouldn't have been out and about.

Yikes!
This is what concerns me...I have bad allergies, and asthma. My sneezing & allergies in general often cause me to cough. Now, on top of everything else, I gotta deal with folks that presume I'm out and about (even when restricting my only movements to popping into the grocery once every 7 or 10 days) sick and being blase about it.

Yikes!
This is what concerns me...I have bad allergies, and asthma. My sneezing & allergies in general often cause me to cough. Now, on top of everything else, I gotta deal with folks that presume I'm out and about (even when restricting my only movements to popping into the grocery once every 7 or 10 days) sick and being blase about it.

Try not to worry about what other people think. Easier said than done, I know. I, too, have allergies that make me sneeze AND cough. All we can do is the best we can do.

AND practise physical distancing....staying at least 6 ft away from others. So easy to forget once people wear their homemade masks while grocery shopping, they think they are now “safe”.

Yikes!
Coughing can be allergies, depending on your symptoms or the type of cough. Could be smoker's cough, too.

About 5 weeks ago, I went in to get my toes done. I was sitting there halfway through when another worker came out to work on the girl beside me. He had a mask on, which didn't bother me until he started coughing in the mask. He turned his head, but who knows and that was just when all the concerns were starting. Every cough was suspect (probably still is).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter