Mary Poppins Returns

Saw it New Year's Day and loved it!! (I told DH I will need to own it when it comes out. :) ) We had a "movie day" and saw both this one and Aquaman. Both were great, but only in this one did the audience applaud at the end.

I thought Emily Blunt did a fabulous job (it must be so scary to follow Julie Andrews!) and Lin-Manuel Miranda was wonderful!! I liked the new kids a lot, and how Jane followed in her mother's footsteps, and how they did the credits at the beginning like the classic Disney movies. :earsboy: I loved the music and the fantasy scenes, and Angela Landsbury as the balloon lady was perfect!

I wish there was at least one song that spoke to me. They tried to make the lamplighters as exciting as chimney sweeps, but that did not do it for me either.

I enjoyed the movie, I cried, I smiled, but it was not as good as the first for me. I will see it again.

I went in very skeptical and left pleasantly surprised. Most of all I was happy that the songs didn't feel of today, but more fitting of the era of the original film. While they aren't as catchy I thought they were enjoyable and didn't pull me out of the movie. Emily Blunt may not have the crystal clear vocal quality of Julie Andrews, she can sing and definitely gave a truly incredible performance.

Having seen Saving Mr. Banks I couldn't help but feel that the storyline of this one might have appealed to P L Travers more than the original.

I doubt it will ever stand up in any way to the original for me personally and wouldn't want it to, loved it as a kid and an adult. I'll look at it for what it is, but definitely not in any way as a replacement of the original. I will absolutely still see it and looking forward to it!

PS: Are you guys saying they didn't do any of the original songs? Kind of bummed with that thought.

I doubt it will ever stand up in any way to the original for me personally and wouldn't want it to, loved it as a kid and an adult. I'll look at it for what it is, but definitely not in any way as a replacement of the original. I will absolutely still see it and looking forward to it!

PS: Are you guys saying they didn't do any of the original songs? Kind of bummed with that thought.

They do not reprise any songs from the original, however the themes can be heard in the score during certain scenes. Personally, i think it's best that they did all-new music.

This movie was a sequel, not a remake. They usually don't reuse all the songs in a sequel, because it has a different story to tell. I also didn't care for the score in this movie, compared to the first one. But then, Mary Poppins was the first movie I ever saw, and first record album I owned. I knew every word to every song!
Denise

I'm hoping the score is nominated for an Oscar. Underneath the Lovely London Sky, A Cover is Not the Book, The Place Where Lost Things Go, Trip a Little Light Fantastic, and Nowhere to Go But Up were all very memorable songs to me. Some of them contain nods to the score from the original Mary Poppins. Richard Sherman - one of the composers for Mary Poppins - has had positive things to say about the score for Mary Poppins Returns. Here are a couple of interview clips with him:

Finally got to see MP today.

I loved it. I told dh in the theater that I felt like I was at Disney. The magic, the imagination, upbeat feeling.

I'm not one who easily sits through a movie and did doze after the Topsy scene and before the Tripping the Light fantastic.

I liked all the songs, but there were 2 too many for me. Not any one in particular, just the length of the move.

Glad I went and would be glad to see it again.

Loved all the characters and thought Michael's hair was a nod to his wife being dead and him not quite having things together.

So glad they included Dick Van Dyke. Would have been great if Julie Andrew's had a small role.

I recognized Julia Walter's as Ellen and told dh that's Mrs. Weasly.

Big fan of the original...not so much the sequel. Emily Blunt did a great job, but Dick Van Dyke's cameo stole the show. IMO Also, didn't care for the new songs. Just my thoughts.

I loved Mary Poppins Returns and ended up seeing it twice in the theater. It was classic Disney with modern technology. I can understand how people are saying the songs were forgettable. However, there were a few that stuck with me... especially "Can You Imagine That?" and "Trip a Little Light Fantastic". Both were very catchy.

I have a storyline question- Did they ever get the bowl back from Topsy? I don't think they did and that really annoyed me. It's like they just wanted a way to stick Meryl in there with a song.

I really thought when Mary looked into the balloon at the end the refection would be Julie Andrews. I think that would have been a great way to give a nod to the original

I've seen it twice and have enjoyed it both times. Was actually better the second time. The reason Julie Andrews isn't in it is because she has said she didn't want to take away from Emily Blunt. She thought her being it in would detract from Emily and how she did with the role. Emily's take on Mary Poppins is different enough that it makes the story a little different. She studied the books to portray Mary Poppins, not Julie Andrews version which makes her a bit more blunt.

I just saw it today and I loved it. I had a few goosebumps moments. I loved the feel of "Disney". I would certainly watch it again.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie. I agree with a lot of points already made:

-too long (I had checked out right before the balloon scene even started)
-the songs weren’t instantly memorable
-Michael was a weak link
-Jane was a joy
-Jack was pleasant
-3 kids instead of 2 somehow seemed more balanced. They played off
-it felt magical like being in Disney
-van dykes’ cameo was a highlight
-Streep’s character was fun
-the nods to the original were appreciated
-Emily blunts portrayal was good

I get her character is cheeky and matter of fact and I kind of liked that she was over the top posh. But I could see how it comes off brash and cold.

Even though she is suppose to be full of surprise and wonderment, she seemed poised to be one dimensional. My main take away was that she’s respectable? Maybe too proper to do a song and dance in front of an audience. Or not sensitive enough to sing that song before putting the kids to bed. Those moments just seemed out of character. Even the smiles felt fake (mainly the one going into the bathtub. She didn’t really exude excitement before, but I guess that was “surprise! We’re about to do something fantastic”). Overall, she did put on a good performance even if her character falls a bit flat. I’d watch it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter