Mary Poppins Returns

And this is relevant because? This thread is about the new movie and whether people are going to see it. I haven't seen the books even mentioned. :confused3

Because you stated you only wanted to see the original, which was based on the first book? Did you only watch the first HP movie, the first LotR movie?

I love the Wizard of Oz ( 1939) but never had a desire to read the Oz books. I understand what the PP means with Mary Poppins.

I saw it today. The casting was wonderful, animation classic, cameos were brilliant, and the costumes and set were beautiful. I agree that my only disappointment is the music. Lin-Manual Miranda steals the show IMHO. Definitely well done all around.

I agree about Lin-Manual Miranda-he was awesome, I don’t th8nk I would have like the movie at all without him 8n it-his character and songs were the best in the movie.

POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT!!

We saw it yesterday

I loved the characters, loved most of the songs, loved the emotions (I cried twice- during the attic scene when Michael was singing and the bedtime song), and loved the little tributes to the original movie.

Emily Blunt was amazing. Performing the same role as Julie Andrews in such a classic film must have been a terrifying proposition lol but she did wonderfully. And I loved Jane Banks - what a sweetheart!

I did NOT like the storyline. I would have been perfectly fine with a duplicate remake of the original, to be honest. And I think that loosely following the events of the original was cute. I just wish they would have thought up something more original than what they did for the overall plot....there have been hundreds of movies done where the kids save the day. All I could think about the whole time was the Brady Bunch Movie and Scooby Doo lol It really wasn't needed - Mary Poppins returning to help a widowed man and his kids heal from the death of their mother would have been a perfectly fine plot!

Because you stated you only wanted to see the original, which was based on the first book? Did you only watch the first HP movie, the first LotR movie?
I think there are plenty of ppl who don't read the books before seeing the movie and/or really don't associate the books with the movie, myself included. I was a little kid when I first saw MP, and had no idea there were even books for a long time. I didn't think of MP returns as a part to the next book etc., just a movie.

Pretty sure you knew what I meant, but whatever. And as a matter of fact, I've never seen LotR at all (not into it), and only the first three HP movies (though I've read all the books). Sue me.

My husband and I went with our three kids last week, and all of us left the theater saying we enjoyed it, but I don't think it was a "favorite" for anyone, or a movie we will need to buy or even watch again.

I agree with the comments that the songs were just ok, mostly forgettable. I did really enjoy the lamplighter song with the dancing, and the song Mary Poppins sang to the kids before bed was moving. But nothing was so catchy that I felt like I wanted to go home and instantly dowload the song, the way I felt after watching, say "The Greatest Showman", "La La Land", or even the new songs added to the latest "Beauty and the Beast" remake (we are a family that enjoys musicals and music in general, so it's not as though we just don't care for the genre).

Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel Miranda did a great job, the acting was good all around, although I agree with a PP about Michael's mustache being distracting--that sounds picky, but with the hair and the mustache he just looked like a kid playing dress up or someone in a disguise.

I loved the costumes and scenery.

By about the 2nd or 3rd song with fantasy sequence, I was feeling bored and wondering how much longer the movie would be, and looked over at my family, who also looked bored. I think it picked up somewhat after that, and like I said, we left the theater feeling like we'd have a pleasant way to spend 2 hours, but I feel like if they'd had better or more catchy music, it would have boosted our enjoyment of the movie that much more.

We went this last week to see this movie. I wasn't sure how it was going to be, especially with my son (13). So we went to one of those theaters where you can order food and beer and whatnot. We all three absolutely loved it. Earlier this year we re-watched the original before our first WDW trip, I had forgotten how wonderful Mary Poppins really was. So I worried that the new one would be a let down. It really wasn't, I loved every minute of it.

I loved Mary Poppins returns, including the songs.
I'm glad I didn't let "reviews" affect my decision to see the movie.
I rarely pay attention to critics' reviews.

I loved every minute of it, and I'm not easy to please. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the actor who played Michael, but everyone else was so perfect, that they made up for him.

My husband and I went with our three kids last week, and all of us left the theater saying we enjoyed it, but I don't think it was a "favorite" for anyone, or a movie we will need to buy or even watch again.

I agree with the comments that the songs were just ok, mostly forgettable. I did really enjoy the lamplighter song with the dancing, and the song Mary Poppins sang to the kids before bed was moving. But nothing was so catchy that I felt like I wanted to go home and instantly dowload the song, the way I felt after watching, say "The Greatest Showman", "La La Land", or even the new songs added to the latest "Beauty and the Beast" remake (we are a family that enjoys musicals and music in general, so it's not as though we just don't care for the genre).

Emily Blunt and Lin Manuel Miranda did a great job, the acting was good all around, although I agree with a PP about Michael's mustache being distracting--that sounds picky, but with the hair and the mustache he just looked like a kid playing dress up or someone in a disguise.

I loved the costumes and scenery.

By about the 2nd or 3rd song with fantasy sequence, I was feeling bored and wondering how much longer the movie would be, and looked over at my family, who also looked bored. I think it picked up somewhat after that, and like I said, we left the theater feeling like we'd have a pleasant way to spend 2 hours, but I feel like if they'd had better or more catchy music, it would have boosted our enjoyment of the movie that much more.
I too was distracted my michael’s appearance. I found him to be the weak link but maybe it was just his hair/mustache/build.

Overall I thought it was okay but too long. Definitely not one I want to see again.

I too was distracted my michael’s appearance. I found him to be the weak link but maybe it was just his hair/mustache/build.

Overall I thought it was okay but too long. Definitely not one I want to see again.
Yes, too long. It was cute, I liked the nostalgia aspect, but it was nothing close to the original for me.

Ben Whishaw is one of the very best actors working in Britain today, but he has a tendency to look about half his age (he is 38). I suspect that the mustache was an attempt to make him look older, though honestly, his coloring is all wrong for a grown-up Michael Banks.
(Sadly, Matthew Garber died at age 21, but here is what he looked like as an adult: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4d/0e/92/4d0e923c22de90750a22302446a4e7d1.jpg ) Normally I love Ben Whishaw, but in this film the only scene that I thought did him justice was the one where he lost his temper with the kids.

FWIW, the "BMX" bikes were not; they were Pashly Roadsters, a very old model that is still manufactured in the UK. They were originally designed for cobblestones, and they are heavy and have full fenders. It's quite difficult to do tricks on them.

I felt that the costuming was the most memorable aspect of this film, and I predict that it will win the Costumes Oscar. Sandy Powell has outdone herself this time, especially with the trompe l'oeil costumes in the Royal Doulton scene. The ruffles on these dresses do not
actually exist; they are hand-painted onto flat white cotton fabrics. It's truly groundbreaking artistry.

rs_1024x759-181217144539-1024-2mary-poppins-returns-costume.jpg

(It is actually likely that Powell will get two nominations; she also costumed the period film "The Favourite" this year.)

Here's an Easter Egg for y'all: the woman who asks directions during the flirting scene between Mortimer & Miranda when Mortimer drops the papers on the sidewalk is someone who SHOULD be very familiar with the houses on Cherry Tree Lane.

FWIW, the "BMX" bikes were not; they were Pashly Roadsters, a very old model that is still manufactured in the UK. They were originally designed for cobblestones, and they are heavy and have full fenders. It's quite difficult to do tricks on them.

I felt that the costuming was the most memorable aspect of this film, and I predict that it will win the Costumes Oscar. Sandy Powell has outdone herself this time, especially with the trompe l'oeil costumes in the Royal Doulton scene. The ruffles on these dresses do not
actually exist; they are hand-painted onto flat white cotton fabrics. It's truly groundbreaking artistry.

rs_1024x759-181217144539-1024-2mary-poppins-returns-costume.jpg

(It is actually likely that Powell will get two nominations; she also costumed the period film "The Favourite" this year.)

Here's an Easter Egg for y'all: the woman who asks directions during the flirting scene between Mortimer & Miranda when Mortimer drops the papers on the sidewalk is someone who SHOULD be very familiar with the houses on Cherry Tree Lane.

Very interesting information about the costumes! I did not know that was her asking for directions until you posted that, then I figured it out.

I agree- I didn't care for him at all.

We saw this film tonight and all three of us enjoyed it very much. I wasn't bothered in the least by the mustache on Michael. To me, it was a nod to the original Mr. Banks, as were some of Michael's lines and outbursts. I loved that Jane has followed in her mother's activist footsteps, and I was happy to see the nod to Mrs. Banks on the tail of the kite. My heart soared when an instrumental version of Let's Go Fly a Kite played as Mary Poppins looked up at the balloons. I might have teared up a bit with Dick Van Dyke's appearance. So glad he was involved with this production. And while I didn't realize it at the time, I'm glad the original Jane was featured in a cameo. Before seeing this movie, I was doubtful that anyone else could ever fill the shoes of Julie Andrews, but Emily Blunt was outstanding. I want to see this again before it leaves the theater. While watching this film I felt as lighthearted and as happy as I do when I'm at WDW. The only thing I didn't like was seeing Colin Firth play a villain.

Went today with 15 members of our family. We all absolutely LOVED it! Just adored everything about the film. An instant 'classic' for us (and we are hardcore fans of the original). I could watch it again and again. Most of us didn't stop smiling for the entire 2 hours. Well done, Disney.

The film sure did make me long for the rumored dark ride at Epcot's UK pavilion. So many stunning visuals from both films that could translate well. Finger's crossed!

I was prepared to dislike it because the original is so iconic, but I enjoyed it.

But I still can't think of Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins. In my mind she's Mary Poppins' grand-niece, or distant cousin twice removed, or something like that.

I went with my daughter-in-law and granddaughter, age 6, who is a HUGE fan of the first Mary Poppins movie. She got really scared in the middle (don't want to give any spoilers, but if you have seen it you'll know what I am talking about) and wanted to leave and go home. We promised her that Mary Poppins would make everything okay and she eventually stopped crying and was okay by the end. But she doesn't want to see it again - and she's seen the original one a dozen times. So just a warning if you have a sensitive child, there are some scary parts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter