Mary Poppins Returns

barkley

DIS Veteran<br><font color=orange>If I ever have a
bravo disney. i had my doubts but you did really well. it stands alone well for those who've never seen (and loved:love::love::love:) the original but it serves as a beautiful tribute in the form of a sequel for those of us who have and do.

my 'kids' had never watched the entire original so we purposely watched it last night in preparation for seeing this today-the attention to the smallest details is spectacular (down to the tiniest elements of individual props).

i already have the first item for my letter to santa next year-mary poppins returns:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

NY Times and WS Journal and Roger Ebert Reviews panned it. Most reviews I saw said the songs were lousy.

Last edited:
NY Times and WS Journal and Roger Ebert Reviews panned it. Most reviews I saw said the songs were lousy.

we loved it and the theater we were in was a pretty good cross section of viewers-senior, middle age, people with little kids (early matinee on the last day before school school let out). at the end applause burst out as did it several times during the movie.

I loved Mary Poppins returns, including the songs.
I'm glad I didn't let "reviews" affect my decision to see the movie.

Most reviews have been positive really. It's not like overwhelming, but generally the reviews are good. The worst things I've read about it is that it is too similar to the original - though is that really a bad thing when the original is such a masterpiece?

My daughter and I are going to see it on Christmas Day. We are both really looking forward to it.

No interest here. I absolutely love the original and can't see how this could be anything but a letdown. Just my opinion - I know lots of people can't wait to see it.

No interest here. I absolutely love the original and can't see how this could be anything but a letdown. Just my opinion - I know lots of people can't wait to see it.

I am with you, but TRYING to not be a Grinch and spoil everyone else's fun. :rolleyes1

honestly-i was of the identical mindset until i watched the special about it several weeks ago. when i saw that the animation was going to be hand drawn in the same style of the original it caught my interest. when i saw the dedication to recreating the original sets it convinced me to give it a try.

i am a die hard fan of the original, it came out when i was 3 and i remember having the original soundtrack record and for christmas getting a child size 'mary poppins dress' (complete with the black hat adorned with daisies and cherries). i STILL have my 2 full outfits issued for barbie dolls back then (the fancy tea dress and the one with the apron for cleaning the nursery) so the original mary is VERY dear to my heart. this isn't the same movie but if you watch it in close proximity to having re watched the original there is continuity and a sense of familiarity. the reviews that complain it's too similar to the original are not entirely off mark b/c it follows the same formula-but it's a formula that worked for the original and for me-works with the sequel.

honestly-i was of the identical mindset until i watched the special about it several weeks ago. when i saw that the animation was going to be hand drawn in the same style of the original it caught my interest. when i saw the dedication to recreating the original sets it convinced me to give it a try.

i am a die hard fan of the original, it came out when i was 3 and i remember having the original soundtrack record and for christmas getting a child size 'mary poppins dress' (complete with the black hat adorned with daisies and cherries). i STILL have my 2 full outfits issued for barbie dolls back then (the fancy tea dress and the one with the apron for cleaning the nursery) so the original mary is VERY dear to my heart. this isn't the same movie but if you watch it in close proximity to having re watched the original there is continuity and a sense of familiarity. the reviews that complain it's too similar to the original are not entirely off mark b/c it follows the same formula-but it's a formula that worked for the original and for me-works with the sequel.

I'm glad you enjoyed it - I have several friends who are looking forward to seeing it. For me personally, I'll give it a pass.

The reviews are decent, in fact the critics' reviews are better than the public's. I plan to hold off though because I think that I feel like seeing Aquaman. I'm a little tired of superheroes but this one is at least something different.

Would anybody care to reveal if The Birdwoman was in this remake? I always liked that character.

I saw the Broadway version and enjoyed that too. It was darker than the 60s film.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!