Marseilles port question

anricat

DIS Veteran
I know that at least one cruise docked in Marseilles last year (I know one was unplanned, but maybe another was planned?). At any rate, it looks like the cruise dock is pretty far from the actual town. Is there a shuttle or something that runs into town?

On our Med cruise in 2016 we got a stop at Marseille instead of Villefranche and DCL ran a free shuttle from the port to the city and back again. It was okay from the ship, but I remember coming back was a bit of a free-for-all! Marseille is a nice city though (don't be put off by the port area!), the area around the harbour was particularly nice.

Hope you have a great cruise!

On our Med cruise in 2016 we got a stop at Marseille instead of Villefranche and DCL ran a free shuttle from the port to the city and back again. It was okay from the ship, but I remember coming back was a bit of a free-for-all! Marseille is a nice city though (don't be put off by the port area!), the area around the harbour was particularly nice.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Thank you so much! We have a private tour booked and we were hoping to enjoy a little free time in the city to shop in the late afternoon before boarding the ship again so we were thinking of having the driver leave us in the city. I'm glad there's a shuttle. Sounds like we should budget plenty of time to get back, though.

We were on the same 2016 cruise that stopped in Marseilles. We took a DCL excursion to Avignon and a nearby winery, both awesome, even with some rain off & on. Highly recommend it. Did not see Marseilles...not enough time...we had to choose. Will save it for later cruise.

Our cruise in Sept 2017 went there unscheduled due to high winds and rough seas in Monte Carlo. We had a fabulous time! Disney provides a free shuttle into town. We ended up going into town on the free shuttle, and then took a train to Cassis and took a boat ride through Calanques. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!!!!! I highly recommend it if you get a chance.

The only issue was after the boat ride, it took a few phone calls and a bit of time to get a taxi back to the train station. Unfortunately, Cassis is not that big of a place so there are not many taxis. But we made it back just fine.

Robert

The pickpockets are in any city in the world -- just keep your wallet in your front pocket and use a passport pouch in your shirt. :)

The pickpockets are in any city in the world -- just keep your wallet in your front pocket and use a passport pouch in your shirt. :)

true, however the french are particularly skilled and numerous........as for the wallet in the front pocket, no that isn't the most effective method...they can reach your front pocket...easily....and you won't feel a thing...

Since we start in Barcelona and that's apparently the pick pocket capital of the world, I've been reading up on all their tips and techniques. It's pretty nerve wracking.

Yes, I got pick pocketed in Barcelona...not much, just some daily spending cash. I saw the videos in advance, but they are good. I had a money belt with passport and serious money. Beware and be safe in your travels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter