Marriott Frenchman's Reef in St Thomas???

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
Still working on the 10th Anniversary trip.

Has anyone stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef in St. Thomas? It looks beautiful, so we'd appreciate any positive or negative feedback anyone might have.

We're probably going to get a "Resort View" room, figuring the oceanview is probably worth $150 per night extra.

Thanks for any help.

No, but if you decide you need info on the Ritz-Carlton there, let me know. Sometimes, they have killer deals that match or beat the Marriott.

nono said:
No, but if you decide you need info on the Ritz-Carlton there, let me know. Sometimes, they have killer deals that match or beat the Marriott.
Yes, actually that is one of the others I was interested in.

The other thing I was wondering about is how important it is to be in or near Charlotte Amalie? I believe the Ritz is a little out of town, and we were looking at another place out by Red Hook, on the East end of the island.

Are you looking at the hotel? They are building a Marriott Timeshare on the property but I don't think the first phase opens until some time next year. I haven't stayed there but I seem to recall there is not much of a beach. If you do go, let us know back what you think please.

Dean said:
Are you looking at the hotel? They are building a Marriott Timeshare on the property but I don't think the first phase opens until some time next year. I haven't stayed there but I seem to recall there is not much of a beach. If you do go, let us know back what you think please.
Yes, the hotel. They say they have a 1/2 mile beach, but we're fine with even a small beach. They have two fairly large pools, one "cliffside," and the other on the beach.

JimMIA said:
Yes, the hotel. They say they have a 1/2 mile beach, but we're fine with even a small beach. They have two fairly large pools, one "cliffside," and the other on the beach.
Thanks and enjoy.

OK, for the Ritz-Carlton, we stayed there in June 2001, and have visited for Sunday brunch every year since (while staying on St. John). I get so excited just thinking about it (like Disney), that I'll just randomly dump thoughts here!

The property is just about perfect! It is on the east end of the island, about a 5-7 min. taxi ride to the Red Hook ferry. It has a great infinity pool and sheltered cove with a nice beach and great access to the sea. They have SCUBA right from there (where I got certified) and also sailboats, etc. We hung out at the beach all day, and enjoyed diving, sailing, playing volleyball, swimming, snorkeling, and, most importantly: sleeping.

They will serve you lunch right to your chairs on the beach. If you like hamburgers, you have to try theirs. We still talk about them! And, then later in the afternoon, a beach attendant comes by with complimentary fruit and scented towels in the afternoon for you to "refresh yourself."

Att night, we'd go dining, often times into Charlotte Amalie. It was a 20-25 min taxi ride to town, but it always passed so quickly because we always had the same driver: Newman. If you go, ask for him. He's fantastic and whenever we visit from St. John, we make sure Newman picks us up!

Anyway, we really liked it, and they really get that they are a tropical resort. On the other hand, stay AWAY from the Ritz in Puerto Rico. It is more horrible than the bad reviews you can read online (so I'm not enamored of all Ritz properties -- just the St. Thomas one...)

The only negative that I can remember, but we didn't personally experience, is that dinners are very pricey if you decide to stay in...I would recommend the Sunday brunch highly, as it is a GREAT value at $75 a head. I'm a real stickler for price/value comparisons, so believe me, there's value there (esp. if you like champagne at breakfast).

Also, I now only shop in one jewelry store in the world and that's Cardow in St. Thomas. Why? Very interesting pieces at reasonable prices. They will also fix them years later after you break them and ship them home to you (bracelet that tangled with a NYC subway door -- my fault!).

Rooms -- deluxe! We had a very very cheap rate (I think $189/night) and still had a partial water view. Tell them it is your anniversary, and I bet you will have a pretty neat surprise one of your nights there...we did!

Anyway, my daughter is getting tired of watching Mary Poppins -- let me know what else I can tell you!

Stayed there a few years back. Loved it. We didnt miss the ocean view. Great beach, though its a bit of a treck. loved the openair resturaunt at the sister resort.

stacy6552 said:
Stayed there a few years back. Loved it. We didnt miss the ocean view. Great beach, though its a bit of a treck. loved the openair resturaunt at the sister resort.
Stacy, are you talking about the Marriott Frenchman's Reef...or the Ritz?

My sister and I spent 6 nights at Frenchman's Reef in April and we loved it. Our room was in a wing off to the righthand side and our view was of Charlotte Amalie and the area where the cruise ships dock. It was great seeing the different ships coming in each morning and leaving again each evening. They have a ferry that takes you into Charlotte Amalie that costs $5 each way. We also had delicious meals at the different restaurants at the hotel. If you choose Frenchman's Reef, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

My husband and I stayed there back in 1993. I know they have totally renovated the place since then. We have the greatest memories ever from that trip. It was actually before we got married. We would also like to return since we just celebrated our 10th anniversary. The place was magical. If you do decide to stay there, you must ask for a ocean view. It makes all the difference in the world. Also make sure you take the ferry over to St. John for the day. The beaches are to die for. I would definitely stay at Frenchman's reef in a heart beat.

Also check out the jewelry deals on the island.

I hope you decide to go. :cool1:

I stayed at the Ritz for a week a few years back with my mother and sister. It was a great hotel as far as the grounds and room go but when we go again we will not be staying there. 30 minutes every time you want to go to town for something to eat other than the Ritz resaurant food is just too long and to be honest just too expensive. The beach is VERY small, so to go to Magens Bay or another beach you will also need to take a taxi. On the other hand, the Marriott is within walking distance to town and has a beautiful view of the harbor and the cruise ships as they come in. I will stay there next time or on St. John at Caneel Bay. There are so many restaurant choices in St. Thomas, chances are you won't want to stay on site for all you meals. Megans Bay is also a short cab ride from town. Not having stayed at Marriott I can't say what it is like, but based on location alone I would say that you will be better off. Try Trip Advisor to see what people have to say about the rooms.

Although St. John is a ferry ride away from St. Thomas, there is a little place called Mongoose Junction that is lovely and would be a nice place to go for dinner or to stroll the shops. Trunk Bay is in my opinion, just as beautiful if not more so than Magens Bay on St. Thomas. It has just as much to offer as St. Thomas, and is worth consideration if you are going to the Virgin Islands.

Thanks again to everyone for the input. We've booked at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef. It's only a three night trip, but it's somewhere I've always wanted to go and I'm sure we'll have a great time.

Frequent flyer tickets were quick and easy on American. I also booked the hotel through AA.com, and interestingly, the cancellation policies were much better than the Marriott website's fine print. The price was the same.

My DH and I stayed there on our honeymoon in 1989. Well, actually, we stayed at The Morning Star, which is part of the Frenchman's Reef; but are rooms right on the beach. It was BEAUTIFUL!! We had the best time and to show you how much we loved it, we went again the very next year for a one year celebration. :sunny: As someone here posted it was renovated since we have been there because of storm destruction. DH and I were thrilled that they still seem to have the Morning Star rooms as well. We hope someday to return. I think you made a great choice. Have a wonderful trip!! :sunny:

Patty

We stayed at Frenchman's Reef in January of 2004. It was wonderful. A great resort. Amazing beach. Good restaurants. It is very easy to take a cab anywhere and the rates are standard for all cabs to where you are going. While we were there the Queen Mary 2 was making it maiden voyage and we got to see it. It docked in the ocean right next to Frenchman's Reef because it was too large for the other docks. They toted people back and forth with small boats. Anyway, you can see a beautiful view of Charlotte Amalie. Trust me when I say just taking a cab to there is enough. We also, stayed right in Charlotte Amalie and that was not so great!!!! They drive on the other side of the road there. So, I would not recommend renting a car unless you feel very very comfortable driving on the other side of the road, especially around cliffs and sharp turns.

One thing we did not do that people recommend is to take the ferry to St. Lucia because the beach there is very quiet and beautiful.

Hope that helps. Happy Anniversary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter