Mardi Gras

Tink13

<font color=navy>ºoº <font color=red>EARS TO YOU <
HI, This will be my first time at US....and I will be going at the time Mardi Gra is on (March 15-20),,has anyone been there during this time? Can you tell me what to expect in the way of crowds, where to stand to get BEADS,etc. We will be there on a SAT. night, when they will have Hank Willaims Jr. playing,,,does anyone know if this is included with the HEROS SALUTE tickets?. Thanks so much for any help.

Tink13

The concerts are free, they take place after the parade usually.

Beads are everywhere, including for purchase.

Crowds are usually thick...because it is so much fun!!!

Got Beads?

Don't worry, you'll catch some. Everyone comes out of the parks with many around their neck. There are even coins that are thrown on the ground. They're multi colored, look like slot machine coins, and say Mardi Gras 2002 on them.

The parades happen multiple times during the day, but the big one happens at night. Lets see, it starts near Twister, goes towards the main entrance, then turns left passing by T2, to the Diner, where a stage is set up. That's where the big concert happens. The parade turns left at the diner heading towards kong. It then heads towards Jaws. Don't worry, you'll find it. They have a big pre show build up, with lot's of food stands serving cajun stuff.

In the mid day, it turns right at the stage, a shorter version. But you can still get lots of beads non the less.

It's a major party, have fun.

The mid day parades that robvia is talking about is not with the floats. It is designed to get people into the festive mood. They have several cars with different characters in them throwing the beads.

Some of the people that I was were the ghost busters and the YMCA people. They also had two people on ATV's finishing up the parade.

The regular parade starts in two different locations. Currently they are starting by JAWS on Fridays and then by Twister on Saturdays. Also the preformers start a different times. On everyday when they start in March they will preform before the parade around 6 pm. On Saturday when the National Act preforms it will be after the parade at around 8:30pm.

I know that I walked away with about 30 sets of beads. I also caught around 10 additional sets that I gave away to some of the kids and other adults that was with the MG Con group.

To get alot of beads it helps to stand with tall people like Robert W, Barry and MIB!!

It seemed like if you yelled and waved your arms and generally acted silly you defenitely got more beads.

Are they doing the mid-day parades next week? Is there a schedule I could obtain? TIA

Saturday night we stood in the area where San Francisco (Earthquake exit) transitions into the Amity (Jaws) area... next to the funnel cake booth. The crowds back there were much lighter than in the front... our family of four caught about 60 strands of beads. My 10 year old wore them ALL on our way out... people up front were looking at him and wondering how he got them all!!

It was a blast... have fun...

BUZZ

Saturday night (2/9) we stood in the area where San Francisco (Earthquake) transitions into the Amity (Jaws) area... next to the funnel cake booth. The crowds back there were much lighter than in the front... it took about 15-20 minutes for the parade to make it's way back there... our family of four caught about 60 strands of beads. My 10 year old wore them ALL on our way out... people up front were looking at him and wondering how he got them all!!

It was a blast... the kids loved it... have fun...

BUZZ

Originally posted by Robert Walker
I know that I walked away with about 30 sets of beads. I also caught around 10 additional sets that I gave away to some of the kids and other adults that was with the MG Con group.

It also helps when someone you know is throwing beads from the float that just happens to stop in front of where your group is standing! LOL
:jester:

Suzy! Thanks again for all the beads!! (My husband wanted to know how I got them all:rolleyes: )

There are also designated kid areas for those 9 and under. Some of the castmembers come out before the actual parade and start throwing out beads to the little kids that are standing there. Once the parade starts the people on the floats like to send the beads into the little kids are too. There was one just down from the Earthquake ride that we stood next to while our son stood in it. He had a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter