Mardi Gras Float Rider

Yep just did it yesterday, went pretty smoothly and no more waiting in an actual line. Just neverously checking the app, to see when the virtual line opens up. On the app it states it opens up a few hours before the parade. Yesterday the parade was at 6 PM and the virtual line opened at a little after 4 PM.

How long did the whole experience last from the time you had to show up till getting off the float?

they say to allow 3 hrs. If there's a concert you want to see that night, you may miss the beginning of it

what I don't understand about the Virtual Line is the "choice of times". Unlike Jimmy Fallon or other attractions with multiple start times, doesn't everyone check in, wait together in the holding area, then get assigned floats for the one parade time? Why would you have a choice of times on app?

what I don't understand about the Virtual Line is the "choice of times". Unlike Jimmy Fallon or other attractions with multiple start times, doesn't everyone check in, wait together in the holding area, then get assigned floats for the one parade time? Why would you have a choice of times on app?

My guess is the times will relate to which float you go on. I'm guessing they put people up on the floats just prior to them going out on the parade route. So if you pick an earlier time you will be on a float near the front of the parade and it goes back from there.

Just a guess though.

Reactions: shh

The people checking you in at the gate said it's to stagger the registration process...this so not all 200 or so guests are there trying to get in at same time.....which float you ride is luck of draw unless you can convince them to award you your choice..

The people checking you in at the gate said it's to stagger the registration process...this so not all 200 or so guests are there trying to get in at same time.....which float you ride is luck of draw unless you can convince them to award you your choice..

This is good info. So I guess if you can, you want to pick the last available "time" so you minimize how much time you're standing around waiting.

This is good info. So I guess if you can, you want to pick the last available "time" so you minimize how much time you're standing around waiting.
exactly what i was thinking! Although I'd be sooo grateful to get any time slot at all, since it's unlikely we'll be picked via lottery...we only have 2 days up there and no luck in previous years.

The spots go quickly once app comes up..sometime s only 1 time spears so have to be quick.,,,as far as waiting they start checking people in about 430( for 615. Start) ..by time you get wrist band ..do paper work...get outfitted and pictures your not sitting there very long....back stage and on float about 600

Just got our email. We are on a float! So excited. Our first time to sign up and we got on

Do not ask any team members when you enter where to go..... we asked three and not one of them had a clue. So, know where you are going. We showed up at the appointed time, 445.. got our randomly-assigned wristband, signed all paperwork. Went into Central Park, where there were signs with the float name on them that corresponded to your wristband. We met our float team leader, he explained what would happen, we all went backstage to board our floats. Uniform aprons were handed out, two pieces, one apron that ties at the sides, one bib that has decorations on it. We were on the smallest one, New Orleans. Held 12 bead tossers, only 9 were aboard. Plus, 4 dancers. Beads were already unboxed and hanging on hooks along the sides of the float. We were not allowed any photos backstage. Instructions were toss only one strand at a time, underhand or sidearm. Don't hit team members. At 615, the float pulled out of the staging area, and the parade began. Honestly, this was SUCH fun! You'd have thought we were passing out literal gold.... it was crazy! Old, young, cool, nerds, special needs, they ALL wanted those silly beads.... and we were there to oblige. There's a rhythm of pulling off the paper strip that holds batches together and separating the strands, pulling them off and tossing them quickly. I felt like a champion bead-slinger by the end of the parade. Riders get to keep up to 10 strands. It was a crazy hot afternoon for us, 85*, sunny. We were sweating! After we returned to the staging area, we were instructed to watch our step walking around, tons of beads on the floor of the float. We turned in our apron uniforms, left the floats and returned to the parks. A GREAT experience.

If you happen to be doing a VIP tour on a Mardi Gras parade day, ask your guide at the start of the tour about the possibility of being a float rider. My guide was able to do a little magic, and by early afternoon, she presented me with a wristband. I just had to show up around 6:30 p.m., sign the paperwork, and get my costume. It was very nice.

Riding in the parade was fun, except I kept hitting my head on some of the trim on the float as I leaned out to toss the beads (I was on the lower level of the Riverboat, and there was some scroll work right where I was standing). There was blood on my forehead and a big scratch. I told the team member on our float, and he didn't seem concerned at all. He didn't do anything about it. Definitely not the response you'd get from Disney.

That was the most fun I’ve ever had in the parks! If you ever get a chance to do it, Do It! Don’t hesitate. I almost backed out by being lazy and wanting to stay in the resort. So glad I didn’t

That was the most fun I’ve ever had in the parks! If you ever get a chance to do it, Do It! Don’t hesitate. I almost backed out by being lazy and wanting to stay in the resort. So glad I didn’t

Glad to hear you had such a good time on the floats......not many come back to tell us about it......:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter